No Time To Die - Awards Chatter, Nominations and Results

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,343
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    NTTD deserved a best picture nom.

It speaks volumes that the two films that basically “saved theaters” after such an unprecedented pandemic that put the industry on the verge of collapse got just 4 nominations.

By that measure,do you think Fast And Furious 9 should have gotten nominated for academy awards? ( it was the first film of the pandemic era to make over 700 million )

F9 made almost 1/3 of its gross in China so it doesn’t apply. And besides… it’s painfully dreadful (like Venom 2).
    At the end of the day,academy awards are just silly and irrelevant.It’s just a bunch of multi millionaires handing gold statues to other multi millionaires.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    At the end of the day,academy awards are just silly and irrelevant.It’s just a bunch of multi millionaires handing gold statues to other multi millionaires.

That doesn't really align with what you called them out for previously, though - seeing as most of the "virtue signalling" nominations are either newcomers or haven't been nominated before. Most of them aren't multi-millionaires.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    He'd change his tone quickly if Pierce Brosnan got nominated and won for something.
  • I can't imagine that many members of the various technical guilds are multi-millionaires either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    These days though the awards are just a virtue signaling exercise.Already I’m seeing lots of “ Oh look! Jane Campion is the first WOMAN director to get nominated twice “ and so forth.

What does that even mean? Surely that's an observable event: she is the first woman to nominated twice, that's just a fact.
    “Women!”
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    We should only recognise them for good work once!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Is NTTD a film worthy of an oscar nomination for Best Film? Probably not.

Is it a film worthy of technical nominations? Absolutely.
    Is it a film worthy of acting nominations. Probably Not. As solid as they are.
    Is it a film worthy of any artistic nominations? Cinematography would have been the best shot.

I am more surprised that MGM and EON tried to push awards so heavily. The film is good, with some caveats, but against other films? Hmmmm.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mallory wrote: »

Is it a film worthy of any artistic nominations? Cinematography would have been the best shot.

I am more surprised that MGM and EON tried to push awards so heavily. The film is good, with some caveats, but against other films? Hmmmm.

They were probably banking on Bond having a kid and so many longtime characters dying earning them awards.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The cinematography is nice but I'd say it's not quite as lovely as SF. I don't quite get all of the aerial drone shots from directly above.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

They were probably banking on Bond having a kid and so many longtime characters dying earning them awards.

I would've thought that critical success, commercial success and the ongoing viability of the series and the brand would take importance over winning a 13 1/2 inch tall gold plated award.

I would've thought that critical success, commercial success and the ongoing viability of the series and the brand would take importance over winning a 13 1/2 inch tall gold plated award.

No doubt, but I can't imagine they'd go the lengths they did and not hope to see some bigger wins as a result of their creative choices.

We see more of the MGM/EON campagin as Bond fans.
    But EVERY studio pushes ALL of its films with campagins for the Oscars.
    It's not as if the EON/MGM campaign was bigger than others.

Jan1985 wrote: »

We see more of the MGM/EON campagin as Bond fans.
    But EVERY studio pushes ALL of its films with campagins for the Oscars.
    It's not as if the EON/MGM campaign was bigger than others.

True, but I dont think we have seen such a publically concerted effort before now.

I dont think even SF had that big of a push. It mainly relied on its industry acknowledged crew to bag the noms (see Deakins, Newman, Mendes etc).
    NTTD deserved a best picture nom.

It speaks volumes that the two films that basically “saved theaters” after such an unprecedented pandemic that put the industry on the verge of collapse got just 4 nominations.

By that measure,do you think Fast And Furious 9 should have gotten nominated for academy awards? ( it was the first film of the pandemic era to make over 700 million )

F9 made almost 1/3 of its gross in China so it doesn’t apply. And besides… it’s painfully dreadful (like Venom 2).

700 million is 700 million.Regardless where it came from.

It’s a really silly film but I enjoyed it ( like most of the series ).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,343
    We were talking about the “movies that saved theaters” with NWH and NTTD being the two most prominent hits. China doesn’t belong to this equation.
    85 and still singing like that! Dang!
  • Craig should have had a best actor nomination.
    Nice Bond tribute.

Curious if one will turn up for the Oscars.
    Those pipes at 85. Insane.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Amazing performance, age doesn’t seem to have had any effect on her powerful voice.

On a different note, I don’t know who wrote the jokes for Rebel Wilson, but he or she, should be fired. Painfully unfunny.
    Amazing performance, age doesn’t seem to have had any effect on her powerful voice.

On a different note, I don’t know who wrote the jokes for Rebel Wilson, but he or she, should be fired. Painfully unfunny.

She's always been that way to me.
    Contraband wrote: »
    Winners

When Shirley Bassey sings, we're the winners.

An incredible energy when she sings the last bit of the song. "And ever..."

They snuck the Bond theme in there too, though it's barely audible in the mix.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    85 and sings like that...how is it even possible? I know that sounds like hyperbole, but...how?!
    As for technical awards NTTD and Dune are both in the same department, only Dune is far more impressive than NTTD in those departments, as for the score both by Zimmer I have both and I prefer to listen to Dune which is quite an impressive score.

NTTD is a decent movie and there are movies out there that are better even if you like NTTD better, but the Bond franchise is just not the Oscar stuff. Winning for score or song is probably the best they will ever do.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I personally think Bond films have been underrecognised in production and costume design over the years (not necessarily this year), but they go for more „out-there“ and stylised stuff in those categories, which I understand. Plus, I’m obviously mega-biased.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

She's always been that way to me.

I don’t have a problem with her on the whole, not that I have seen her in much. But those jokes were so bad, they make the thought of being waterboarded, enjoyable by comparison.