Connery: Only 007 to never use a submachine gun/assault rifle?

edited February 2022 in Bond Movies Posts: 615
If memory serves, Sean Connery was the only Bond to never use a submachine gun or assault rifle in any of his official Eon films. (NSNA doesn't count.)

Lazenby: Sten gun
Moore: Sten gun, AK-47
Dalton: AK-74
Brosnan: Various types
Craig: Various types

Discounting vehicle-mounted guns (the DB5, Little Nelly), I don't recall Connery's Bond using anything other than a pistol, the FRWL sniper rifle, and a spear gun. Is my memory faulty?

Comments

• slide_99slide_99 USA
    He had one in NSNA at the end but I can't remember if he fired it.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    He did.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 13,879
    Yeah I think he used the MAC-10 in the Tears of Allah.
    Struggling to come up with one for the EON films.
    By the way, AKs are rifles not SMGs, so we need to come up with one for Dalton too.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Little Nellie had them too, but I guess it's not the same.
  • QBranch wrote: »
    By the way, AKs are rifles not SMGs, so we need to come up with one for Dalton too.
    Indeed, you are correct. I actually meant "SMGs and assault rifles" -- although I thought that probably would've made the thread title too long.

I'll edit it!
    I think that both Connery and Dalton didn't use either, but it's worth checking imfdb as well as my own archived list.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Dalton briefly uses an AK-47 when he’s caught by Koskov on the plane. He doesn’t shoot anyone though, he just fires it off to draw away Soviet goons.
    Dalton briefly uses an AK-47 when he’s caught by Koskov on the plane. He doesn’t shoot anyone though, he just fires it off to draw away Soviet goons.
    You are right, the AK is an 'assault' rifle. Back to just Connery then!
    So it looks like the thread title holds true. It's worth noting that in the game version of FRWL, Connery is able to use both an smg and assault rifle.
  • Dalton briefly uses an AK-47 when he’s caught by Koskov on the plane. He doesn’t shoot anyone though, he just fires it off to draw away Soviet goons.
    It might be the newer model AK-74 in Dalton's case -- but definitely an assault rifle either way.

(I always liked that moment in TLD... Bond could've slaughtered the plane's crew and probably some of the soldiers outside, but he deliberately misses -- shooting to spook them -- rather than kill.)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He is offered one, but is too busy.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That clip almost puts me off all Bond films :D
    Related to the topic, there are a few characters who don't carry SMGs in their respective films, but can be seen holding one in other images. Two examples being Rik Van Nutter's Felix and Baron Samedi both holding an MP40, the latter on the poster's 'Death' tarot card:

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/rik-van-nutter-on-the-set-of-thunderball-cropped-phillip-harrington.jpg
    https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BYzFhNTBiYTMtZmI3MC00YmIxLWJjYzQtYzNmMjg1NjlhYzJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDY2MTk1ODk@._V1_.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Someone pointed out the voodoo doll of Bond on that poster the other day, and I can't believe I'd never spotted it until now :D
    Yeah, that's cool. Might've made a neat film tie-in toy.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mtm wrote: »
    Someone pointed out the voodoo doll of Bond on that poster the other day, and I can't believe I'd never spotted it until now :D

I always thought that was Little Frank of Frank Sidebottom fame! In truth I've never really noticed that up close either. Well spotted! :)
    He did use a few in the from Russia with love video game does that count?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    After the Brosnan run, I liked how they deemphasized Bond’s use of a machine gun. Relegating it to only a few scenes across. It was way overused in Brosnan era, specifically Vic Armstrong’s second unit.

Which is ironic because Craig was heavily promoted holding one for QOS, but the only instance he used it in that film was a single burst in the PTS. From then on it was just the PPK.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I think the heavy promotion of the silenced MP5 was the iconic ending with him holding it in CR.