No Time To Die - Awards Chatter, Nominations and Results

Comments

• delfloria wrote: »
    Man, I don’t get the appeal of LICORICE PIZZA.

I haven't seen it, so I don't want to make sweeping judgements, but it seems the perfect illustration of the previous point re: films needing to appeal to Academy voters. A film set 50 years ago in the San Fernando Valley and around the movie industry is just catnip for people who are now in their 60s and 70s and entrenched enough in the film industry to have an Oscar vote...

But those same people grew up with Bond.

Those same people also grew up not thinking of Bond as Oscar material for many years. If you told them 20 years ago that Sam Mendes would direct a Bond film they would think you were INSANE.

Until SKYFALL, I don’t think anyone had seriously considered Bond to be part of Oscar talk. Only three title songs had been nominated prior to that (“Live and Let Die”, “Nobody Does it Better”, and “For Your Eyes Only”). A few technical awards here and there for the Connery and Moore films. I think the Dalton and Brosnan years were completely absent of ANY nominee.

Only the BAFTAs ever handed out nominations and wins for cinematography, production design, etc through the years. And then CR came along and got nominated for the big categories, and since then Bond has been seen as a “prestige blockbuster”.

Good points there. CR was a shocker in that regard, being both a great Bond film and film in general, although not as refined as Skyfall. The latter was released in a perfect storm of circumstances that elevated the prestige of the Bond brand to levels of acclaim not seen before. While Skyfall's success felt organic, I think the producers subsequently feel hand-tied to this prestige blockbuster status that set unrealistic expectations for Spectre. No Time to Die feels less forced in that sense despite the aggressive awards campaigning.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    delfloria wrote: »

I haven't seen it, so I don't want to make sweeping judgements, but it seems the perfect illustration of the previous point re: films needing to appeal to Academy voters. A film set 50 years ago in the San Fernando Valley and around the movie industry is just catnip for people who are now in their 60s and 70s and entrenched enough in the film industry to have an Oscar vote...

Those same people also grew up not thinking of Bond as Oscar material for many years. If you told them 20 years ago that Sam Mendes would direct a Bond film they would think you were INSANE.

Until SKYFALL, I don’t think anyone had seriously considered Bond to be part of Oscar talk. Only three title songs had been nominated prior to that (“Live and Let Die”, “Nobody Does it Better”, and “For Your Eyes Only”). A few technical awards here and there for the Connery and Moore films.

It is criminal that Barry was never nominated for a Bond score; same for Ken Adam.
  • edited February 2022 Posts: 1,693

Until SKYFALL, I don’t think anyone had seriously considered Bond to be part of Oscar talk. Only three title songs had been nominated prior to that (“Live and Let Die”, “Nobody Does it Better”, and “For Your Eyes Only”). A few technical awards here and there for the Connery and Moore films. I think the Dalton and Brosnan years were completely absent of ANY nominee.

Only the BAFTAs ever handed out nominations and wins for cinematography, production design, etc through the years. And then CR came along and got nominated for the big categories, and since then Bond has been seen as a “prestige blockbuster”.

Exactly. Things HAVE changed regarding Bond's status in the film industry.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    You're not wrong.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Mallory wrote: »

I enjoyed the movie, though its central premise is, to me, on very dodgy ground at best.

I liked it but I think the ending really pulls the rug from the whole thing.

As far as NTTD goes, I would like to see it get nominated for song, sound (I mean, the scene at Vesper's grave alone is worthy) and cinematography.

I enjoyed the movie, though its central premise is, to me, on very dodgy ground at best.

As far as NTTD goes, I would like to see it get nominated for song, sound (I mean, the scene at Vesper's grave alone is worthy) and cinematography.

I was just thinking, if it gets nominated for Sound Design, I bet all my money that scene is the little vignette they use when it's announced.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Women in Bond films have won the BAFTA Rising Star award before. Well, one of them, anyway.
    My God, I'm thirsty today...

eva-green-rising-star-06.jpg

I was just thinking, if it gets nominated for Sound Design, I bet all my money that scene is the little vignette they use when it's announced.

Yeah, it's a wonderful moment. I loved it the first time and it still sticks out to me even on repeat viewings.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It is good, but it's not exactly the first time that's been used: it's almost a slight cliche nowadays.
    mtm wrote: »
    It is good, but it's not exactly the first time that's been used: it's almost a slight cliche nowadays.

Yes, but is "Oscar-y". ;)
    edited February 2022 Posts: 8,009

I can't think of a time where I saw it done better than it was there. Although the loudness of IMAX may have been a contributing factor to it's effectiveness on initial viewing. Especially the way the music is also fiddled with and then comes back into clarity as Bond runs on to the bridge.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah okay, seemed about the same as most other times I've heard it to me.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Women in Bond films have won the BAFTA Rising Star award before. Well, one of them, anyway.

God, I wish I was a BAFTA award.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Something’s rising, not sure if I’d call it a star…

Sorry.
    Yeah okay, seemed about the same as most other times I've heard it to me.

Fair enough. Which spring to mind?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

They might have to do a Bond film set in Hollywood, directed by Steve McQueen or Danny Boyle, with Daniel Day-Lewis as Q and Meryl Streep as the villain. "A Kill for a View" perhaps.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Venutius wrote: »

Obviously had NOTHING specifically to do with her performance from CR. ;)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    It must've been for Arsene Lupin in 2004, eh... ;)
    The FYC posters posted two pages ago are so pleasing to the eye.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Video uploaded by The Academy Awards. Might be the wrong thread, but since NTTD could be nominated (short list will be presented Febr 8) I'll post it here.

"In Daniel Craig’s final portrayal of James Bond, he and filmmakers discuss the pivotal Safin’s Lair scene in NO TIME TO DIE – at which James Bond makes the ultimate sacrifice. Featuring original songwriters Billie Eilish & Finneas O’Connell."

My bet is that if Craig doesn’t get nominated that the awards ceremony will do a brief segment giving tribute to Craig’s run as Bond.
    Contraband wrote: »
    Video uploaded by The Academy Awards. Might be the wrong thread, but since NTTD could be nominated (short list will be presented Febr 8) I'll post it here.

"In Daniel Craig’s final portrayal of James Bond, he and filmmakers discuss the pivotal Safin’s Lair scene in NO TIME TO DIE – at which James Bond makes the ultimate sacrifice. Featuring original songwriters Billie Eilish & Finneas O’Connell."

Thanks for sharing this! Love when Sandgren calls it religious.
    Three noms total!
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    Three noms total!

Yep. Better than nothing
    Bummer it didn’t get cinematography.

Worst thing is I’ll have to try forcing myself to watch Nightmare Alley. That looks horrible, but people seem to love Guillermo del Toro’s empty movies.
    Bummer it didn’t get cinematography.

Worst thing is I’ll have to try forcing myself to watch Nightmare Alley. That looks horrible, but people seem to love Guillermo del Toro’s empty movies.

Blade II is still his best.
    The only movie I liked of his was PAN’S LABYRINTH. Everything else feels like self indulgence, but not in the way you can appreciate.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Exactly the noms which were predicted which is interesting.

I would guess it will win song but that's it.