Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Oh, that's a shame.

I am still not convinced that Fallout can be topped, without MI becoming like the Fast & Furious films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Oh, that's a shame.
    That TG3 is coming out before TG2? Sure, but only if they are connected.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    matt_u wrote: »
    M:I-7 was filmed in 2020. That’s ridiculous. Perhaps 7 and 8 are extremely tied and they feel the two films must come out close to each other.

Very possible.
    Crap. This pushes it to a five year gap. I really liked the last film.
    My guess is the delay is coming because Cruise has come up with an even crazier stunt and is obsessed with training for it and getting it into the next film. Maybe leaping from the International Space Station back into Earth's atmosphere with only HALO gear.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,888
    1Q9zFfg.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Same gag they did with Craig when NTTD got pushed back, except Cruise can’t help but look great! :D
  • RyanRyan Canada
    It's still technically sooner than the six years between Spectre and NTTD... for now. :p
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Filming started February 2020. It will come out Summer 2023. NTTD suffered a 18 months delay because of COVID, no vaccines and theaters shut down. M:I-7 is going to a 24 months delay.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Filming started February 2020. It will come out Summer 2023. NTTD suffered a 18 months delay because of COVID, no vaccines and theaters shut down. M:I-7 is going to a 24 months delay.

I was referring to the gap between entries, and it was meant in jest.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,343
    I read your post, I wasn’t replying to it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator

Mi7 was filmed from Sep 20 - Sep 21.
    talos7 wrote: »
    1Q9zFfg.jpg

:)) Such a shame about another delay, however? I am sure it will be worth the wait! :-bd
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have never been let down by any of the MI films. There are some that over time have been a little less than initially thought. But none of them are bad movies.
    Since GP, they've pretty much got better and better. I'm very much looking forward to entries 7 and 8.
    Benny wrote: »
    I have never been let down by any of the MI films. There are some that over time have been a little less than initially thought. But none of them are bad movies.
    Since GP, they've pretty much got better and better. I'm very much looking forward to entries 7 and 8.

Same here, and that really is a credit to them.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 13,350
    https://variety.com/2022/film/columns/see-studio-space-tom-cruise-universal-1235163541/

A nice nugget in there that Mission Impossible 8 will film in South Africa soon.

The delay for these is not surprising as there is no way Mission Impossible 8 could possibly be released July 23 as it hasn't started production yet.

Plus why have two massive Cruise movies in one year?
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 440
    Great find.

South Africa honestly makes a lot of sense as a location as it's often used by film/tv shows otherwise shot in the UK (The Crown, Good Omens, Dr Who etc) to double for hot, dry areas.

Southern Italy, The Middle East, Australia, Mexico and so on.

Not ruling out that they will travel to other countries of course, but given COVID and the problems they had shooting 7, it makes sense to have a stopgap just in case.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2022 Posts: 40,368
    An even more interesting tidbit in that article is that they want to construct filming in a "low orbit, micro-gravity environment."
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Great find.

South Africa honestly makes a lot of sense as a location as it's often used by film/tv shows otherwise shot in the UK (The Crown, Good Omens, Dr Who etc) to double for hot, dry areas.

It's also in the same time zone as the UK which makes it doubly attractive.
  • Samuel001 wrote: »
    there is no way Mission Impossible 8 could possibly be released July 23 as it hasn't started production yet.

July 2023 is one and a half years from now. Plenty of time to finish the movie until then if they wanted to. A Bond movie takes less than a year to finish from the first day of filming.
    Samuel001 wrote: »
    there is no way Mission Impossible 8 could possibly be released July 23 as it hasn't started production yet.

July 2023 is one and a half years from now. Plenty of time to finish the movie until then if they wanted to. A Bond movie takes less than a year to finish from the first day of filming.

These films seem to take one year. If it finished shooting in February 23 they cannot complete post production in 5 months - again it takes longer.

At last something Bond can do that Mission Impossible and other films cannot! 😀
  • Makkie Slamong, CEO of Cape Town Film Studios, said they too had signed a non-disclosure agreement with an international studio and was not in a position to comment.

Sources close to the production team and organisers said that Hollywood star Tom Cruise and his cast are set to hit South African soil and begin filming in Durban for a few months.

“We are set to be in Durban for three months as from February 6 for Mission Impossible and possibly a week in Cape Town,” said the source who cannot be identified due to a non-disclosure agreement.

Another source said they had heard about the movie but was not informed of when production was set to begin.

https://www.iol.co.za/weekend-argus/news/western-cape-to-see-economy-boost-as-international-blockbuster-movies-get-ready-to-arrive-b4f1915a-2ff6-44a7-b6d8-36755d163ae1
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Considering how long 7 took to finally get in the can (well over a year from start to finish isn’t it?), I wonder how MacQuarrie is feeling at this point.
    Exhausted at least. I’m wondering if 8 is gonna be the last one and I bet it’s gonna be.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Surely it will be McQ's last at least. This is quite the marathon.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,343
    Yeah anyway I don’t see Cruise keep on doing those stunts til he’s 70. COVID fucked their schedule a lot but when studios plan to shot back to back project like 7/8 were designed in the beginning it usually means the end is near.
  • Samuel001 wrote: »
    These films seem to take one year. If it finished shooting in February 23 they cannot complete post production in 5 months - again it takes longer.
    They can. Filming of M:I 5 for example wrapped in March 2015 and the movie was released in July 2015.
    edited February 2022 Posts: 13,350
    They can. Filming of M:I 5 for example wrapped in March 2015 and the movie was released in July 2015.

You're right and fair point but I'm wondering if that was then and this is now.

These one year shoots must be tough and as much as I can't see Cruise doing them when he's 80, part of me wouldn't be surprised to see anything up to film 12. Who the hell knows at this point, I'm not counting anything out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,861

You're right and fair point but I'm wondering if that was then and this is now.

These one year shoots must be tough and as much as I can't see Cruise doing them when he's 80, part of me wouldn't be surprised to see anything up to film 12. Who the hell knows at this point, I'm not counting anything out.

Yeah, with Indiana Jones still going at nearly 80, and Cruise being more athletic than pretty much any movie star before, it's hard to rule it out!
    edited February 2022 Posts: 4,343
    Cruise is a super professional guy and a competitive one as well but I don’t think he’s gonna be able to consistently raise his bar after 8. M:I films are all about his stunts. If Tom starts to let other guys perform his stuff it’s gonna be over. The fact that they intended to shot 7/8 back to back as a two parter makes me think they wanted to save time inbetween chapters because he knows that it’s gonna be impossible to keep doing his stuff at this gold level in a couple of years.