Cary Joji Fukunaga - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I've seen NTTD 5 times now and it has never dragged. It's incredibly well paced and has never felt like 163 minutes.

His direction is first rate and unpretentious. Much like Martin Campbell in a lot of ways. Would love him to do another one 👍

100%
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’ve now seen NTTD 13 times… it’s awesome, never drags and is poignant and deeply makes me feel about not wasting time with loved ones. Don’t waste the time you have!!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    peter wrote: »
    I’ve now seen NTTD 13 times… it’s awesome, never drags and is poignant and deeply makes me feel about not wasting time with loved ones. Don’t waste the time you have!!

"Uncle Pete do you want to come play sports with me in the backyard?"

"SILENCE! it's time to watch Bond for the 14th time!" :))
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I've seen NTTD 5 times now and it has never dragged. It's incredibly well paced and has never felt like 163 minutes.

His direction is first rate and unpretentious. Much like Martin Campbell in a lot of ways. Would love him to do another one 👍

+1
    If he is asked by EON whether he wants to do B26. and he really has some good ideas and wants to do it, feeling, that he has another Bond movie inside him, that wants out, I#d be more than happy to have him back.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Pretty much @DCisared !!!!

As much as I have issues with the film,it’s really down to the writing and the “ Bond has to die “ ending that was stipulated to Fukanga.His direction is really good and it would be good to see him helm a more traditional Bond adventure ( Even if someone would have to tell him to dial back the OHMSS references).

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    It would also be good to see how he can develop as a Bond director given this time he wont have the same time restraints as he did with NTTD (Get the script done fast and the film shooting as soon as possible).

He joined in September 2018 and had to be in production by April 2019, and essentially starting from scratch. Six months isnt much time.
  • AstonLotus wrote: »
    As much as I have issues with the film,it’s really down to the writing and the “ Bond has to die “ ending that was stipulated to Fukanga.His direction is really good and it would be good to see him helm a more traditional Bond adventure ( Even if someone would have to tell him to dial back the OHMSS references).

I agree. It's a shame he had to deal with the 'we must kill James Bond' stupidity. I'd be very happy to see him come back and do a proper James Bond movie. NTTD was very classily directed.

• edited May 2022 Posts: 441
    Some very serious accusations in the instagram stories of skateboarder/actress Rachelle Vinberg today: https://www.instagram.com/stories/rachellevinberg

More: https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1ss1ah0
    Well, we know one person who won’t be directing Bond 26 now.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I agree. It's a shame he had to deal with the 'we must kill James Bond' stupidity. I'd be very happy to see him come back and do a proper James Bond movie. NTTD was very classily directed.

Stupidity?

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    That’s pretty damning about Cary. Too bad as he’s such a talent. Count him out for Bond 26. Bring on Campbell!
  • Top director. Lets see if these accusations actually have any basis in truth. There's so many fake news floating about these days its hard to believe who is telling the truth
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 440
    [Moved to this more relevant thread.]

I'm confused about what's going on with Cary Fukunaga right now. I'm not trying to start anything, I genuinely don't know what people are reacting to.

I mean, he certainly comes across as a massive asshole, and his taste in women is certainly much too young for a man of his age but the people saying he's a groomer and predator are baffling me.

Isn't grooming what an adult does to a child? Not a consensual relationship between two adults?

https://www.thirstyfornews.com/2022/05/06/no-time-to-die-director-cary-fukunaga-accused-of-predatory-behavior/
    “We were not raped, fired from a job, or made to do anything physical against our will. So why does it sting so bad now to see this man, the one who we willingly walked away from, propped up as the honorable creator who brought a much-needed, ‘feminist twist’ to an iconic film franchise?”

IDK, this just sounds like a man who likes to sleep with hot young women and then move on.

Much like what happened to Aziz Ansari it feels like people taking a much more complex story about unconscious power dynamics and reducing it to a simple #metoo.

Not nice of course, but surely not predatory?

The True Detective story sounds much more serious but it's unclear to me whether it was a case of the actress not wanting to do a crucial nude scene so they had to replace her, or Fukunaga just trying to see her nude.

If it's the latter, then it's certainly a vile thing.
    I think we should just see how this situation plays out? Can't see him getting Bond 26 vif it was ever a possibility anyway?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes I didn’t see him returning even before this.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Innocent till proven guilty but with that being said, mud sticks in this industry unfortunately.

I'd have been interested to see what Fukunaga could've done with a clean slate. I enjoyed the new fresh energy his direction brought to Bond
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Innocent till proven guilty

God do I wish people still thought and acted this way instead of the inverse.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    FoxRox wrote: »

Same mate. It seems like a thing of the past tragically
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited May 2022 Posts: 4,247
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah, me too. Even before this. Now NTTD is now going to look pretentious because of its director's recent news.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    FoxRox wrote: »

No I don't think so. 'Innocent until proven guilty' is how the courts should and do work, not the rest of the world. If the police thought that everyone was innocent then nobody would ever be arrested for anything.
    Victims have to be believed and their testimony accepted first; it's for the courts to then have that proven either way.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It is a tricky situation. The accused must be assumed to be innocent until proven guilty, but the victim must be believed. I don’t know if believed is the right word. I believe there accusations must be taken seriously and fully investigated, but ultimately it comes down to evidence and credibility.
  • No time to lie
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don’t know if believed is the right word. I believe there accusations must be taken seriously and fully investigated, but ultimately it comes down to evidence and credibility.

Yes that's fair; I guess 'not disbelieved' is probably a better way to phrase it.

But presumption of innocence does only come into play once a case reaches court and it isn't right to think it's how everything in every walk of life is and should be treated. Until it reaches trial then it's a question of whether there's a reason to believe a person may have committed a crime or not; not that they're innocent until proven guilty.
    As I say, the police can't and don't work on the presumption of innocence, the prosecution especially can't work on that basis (the opposite in fact!), even something like an HR dispute can't really work like that if someone feels threatened in the workplace or similar.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    GadgetMan wrote: »

Yeah, me too. Even before this. Now NTTD is now going to look pretentious because of its director's recent news.

As far as I’m concerned it looks even more badass given the fact that its director is the only Hollywood person with the balls to be in East Ukraine during a war helping the people there.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    matt_u wrote: »
    GadgetMan wrote: »

As far as I’m concerned it looks even more badass given the fact that its director is the only Hollywood person with the balls to be in East Ukraine during a war helping the people there.

Yeah, heroic, no doubt. Just wish him the best though.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 372
    I'm disappointed.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    No one cares.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    So much for his chances on Bond 26.