Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

cwl007 wrote: »
    Quick question, I'd be interested to know some thoughts on this.
    Do you think MGW and BB take any notice of the 'flavour of the month' candidates perpetrated by the media?
    Do you think this helps, hinders and does not effect their individual chances of becoming Bond in any way?

I think they're well aware of the media candidates and probably ponder those names somewhat casually. I don't believe anyone is seriously considered for the role or tested until a film is least well into development or ready to roll.
    I don't know if I'm right about that, but often Bond himself might be written middle of the road and the film then adapted to that actor's abilities. TLD, for instance.
    So media articles advocating Hardy, Page, Elba, Hiddleston, or whoever probably neither help nor hinder an actor's chances. They just keep Bond in the media.
    Benny wrote: »
    Aside from George Lazenby, the actor playing Bond hasn’t been a complete unknown. Not well known, but Dalton and Craig were known actors in small film roles and tv.
    I’d be surprised if EON went for a complete unknown. I feel when the next actor is announced, he’ll be someone known to people.
    Who that is, I can’t say.

Then again, apart from Roger Moore, none of the Bond actors were stars when cast.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny didn’t say they were stars though: he just said they were known.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    And Rog was not a film star; he was known mainly from his work on television.
    The next Bond will have a mid level amount of public awareness, not a star, not an unknown.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 14,824
    mtm wrote: »
    Benny didn’t say they were stars though: he just said they were known.
    I know. Brosnan is an interesting case: by the time he became Bond, he was almost famous or at least best known for almost getting the role.
    Yes, he’s quite flamboyant at times but still my dark horse.

https://screenrant.com/harry-styles-upcoming-movies-roles/
  • With all this media coverage of Elba's link to Bond, untill now I've never supported the potential casting of Cavill so badly in my life. I hate twitter.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    And Rog was not a film star; he was known mainly from his work on television.
    The next Bond will have a mid level amount of public awareness, not a star, not an unknown.

Roger’s quite an interesting case as he was a global TV star thanks to The Saint and The Persuaders, even working with a big film star in the latter and more than proving himself an equal, and so was a kind of film star by proxy even without really being one! :)
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,430
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Quick question, I'd be interested to know some thoughts on this.
    Do you think MGW and BB take any notice of the 'flavour of the month' candidates perpetrated by the media?
    Do you think this helps, hinders and does not effect their individual chances of becoming Bond in any way?

I think they're well aware of the media candidates and probably ponder those names somewhat casually. I don't believe anyone is seriously considered for the role or tested until a film is least well into development or ready to roll.
    I don't know if I'm right about that, but often Bond himself might be written middle of the road and the film then adapted to that actor's abilities. TLD, for instance.
    So media articles advocating Hardy, Page, Elba, Hiddleston, or whoever probably neither help nor hinder an actor's chances. They just keep Bond in the media.

They probably ask the people they know if they "know of" the names that are floated. If they hear good things I'm sure they're interested, if they don't know a name and nobody they know knows the name I doubt they dwell very long unless the media craze is is too loud to ignore.

For example, Broccoli's recent comment about Elba vaguely being part of the Bond conversation, likely broadly at some point over the last few years etc. but probably in the manner we mention above; the producers probably talk about it non-seriously, ask around for what potential someone may have if they don't know them, and go from there if they're casting or.. you know... forget about it if they're not.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The matter seems to be settled.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I think that BB and MGW are well aware of the media speculation, but aren't influenced by any of it. Well, with the possible exception of vetoing anyone who publicly campaigns for the role, either when it's the actor himself or his fanbase. That seems to be the kiss of death. So I think we can rule out Hiddleston... ;)
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Venutius wrote: »
    I think that BB and MGW are well aware of the media speculation, but aren't influenced by any of it. Well, with the possible exception of vetoing anyone who publicly campaigns for the role, either when it's the actor himself or his fanbase. That seems to be the kiss of death. So I think we can rule out Hiddleston... ;)

Thank God.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yeah, every time I see Hiddleston I think someone's thrown a side of ham on screen...
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,353
    James Bond Fans Support Idris Elba After Reported Consideration For 007

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/james-bond-007-idris-elba-fans-support/

Not fans on this site.......... He's too old.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Those James Bond fans!

• slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited January 2022 Posts: 652
    I've never seen widespread support for Elba by Bond fans. It's always journalists, celebs, and random people on social media who want it, and then claim Bond fans want it. The guy is a charisma vacuum, that's why he's mostly a supporting actor whose lead roles always end up bombing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,951
    Oh I don't think he's bad at all and could have made a good Bond.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    that's why he's mostly a supporting actor whose lead roles always end up bombing.

You could say that about most Bond actors' side projects! :) When was Dalton's last hit movie?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    "Charisma vaccuum"?

That's George Lazenby you're thinking of.
    I might be wrong, but last time Bond's role had to be cast, it went through phases: 1)rumours were about big names (Jude Law, Hugh Grant, Robbie Williams, Evans McGregor, Colin Farrel), then we heard of lesser known names, then we had actors that had cameos or were extras in films (that guy who looked like Sean Connery). Finally, they cast a lesser known veteran. So it might be the same now and we're at the phase of big names being rumoured.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can’t imagine wanting someone as Bond, just to annoy fans. That is the sheer stupidity of twitter, in a nutshell. That platform is the anus of the internet.
    I can’t imagine wanting someone as Bond, just to annoy fans. That is the sheer stupidity of twitter, in a nutshell. That platform is the anus of the internet.

What do you mean?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, was that post meant for this thread? I can't see what it relates to.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The link that @007InAction, one twitter comment suggest the casting Elba to piss off fans.
    Elba is nt cast nor wil he be as Bond why are we having this conversation lol
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The link that @007InAction, one twitter comment suggest the casting Elba to piss off fans.

Oh, the 7th quote down in that link posted above, I see.
    Many actors out there had the potential to be a very good 007 but the timing wasn't on their side. Ralph Fiennes would have made an inspired choice for Bond back in the 90s if Pierce Brosnan didn't fill the role. This is why I like the idea of getting Idris Elba for M, because it's not only reminiscent of Fiennes' casting but he just nails the no-nonsense quality that we associate with M.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 689
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think it would be a smart idea for them to go with a James Bond about two or three years into being a 00, and have him face a villain connected to his origin. This way they can have a classic mission with 007 but also examine this particular Bond's origin without making the story an origin story.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I think it would be a smart idea for them to go with a James Bond about two or three years into being a 00, and have him face a villain connected to his origin. This way they can have a classic mission with 007 but also examine this particular Bond's origin without making the story an origin story.

I like it.
    Venutius wrote: »
    They could just hire Kevin McKidd, get him to use the accent he had in Rome and have him carry on Craig's storylines... ;)
    kevin-mckidd-pic.png

He could be Bond's long-lost cousin (nephew of Andrew Bond) who also happens to be named James Bond. He joins MI6 to take continue his late cousin's work.

I know Bond films borrow heavily from others, but taking inspiration from Midsomer Murders is a bit much…