Burt, oh Burt

13»

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    I agree he wasn't right for the part but he does have Connery's rugged handsomeness. Hamilton probably saw him in White Lightening and thought he could be Bond.
    2013-06-08-02-14-19-pm-s1m.jpg

In the documentary he mentions seeing him in a TV show at the time. Don't know what one that would be, but it would have aired around 70-72. Only really know Burt from his films, of which Sharkey's Machine [about 1980ish] stood out at the time, though I've not seen it for about 30 years now! And of course when he was considered for Bond (shudder) Smokey was a few years down the line…oh, and what was that Bond parody he did, played a stuntman (that's a stretch for a former stunt man!) I think?

Speaking of Sharkey's Machine, Going through a bit of a Burt Reynolds phase here...
    I just ordered a Blu Ray of it. I consider it to be his finest film (Bernie Casey & Henry Silva are SO good in it....).
    Another favourite one is Shamus (what a killer Goldsmith score!). I would have said Fuzz, but that not a 'Burt Reynolds' film- more of an ensemble piece.
    Malone is a lot of fun. Heat was interesting.
    I've seen 'em all, but these are the ones I actually bought.

Reynolds fans sound off!

Sharkeys Machine is indeed a terrific thriller! One critic stated that it has the best opening sequence since Dirty Harry!
    His two movies 'White Lightning' and 'Gator' are also worth checking out! Also Robert Aldrichs 'Hustle' is worth a look! I remember going to see 'Beverly Hills Cop', and the showing I was going to was sold out, so I went to see 'City Heat' instead, a comedy gangster thriller, where Burt teamed with Clint Eastwood. Not their finest hour!!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I agree he wasn't right for the part but he does have Connery's rugged handsomeness. Hamilton probably saw him in White Lightening and thought he could be Bond.

In the documentary he mentions seeing him in a TV show at the time. Don't know what one that would be, but it would have aired around 70-72. Only really know Burt from his films, of which Sharkey's Machine [about 1980ish] stood out at the time, though I've not seen it for about 30 years now! And of course when he was considered for Bond (shudder) Smokey was a few years down the line…oh, and what was that Bond parody he did, played a stuntman (that's a stretch for a former stunt man!) I think?

Speaking of Sharkey's Machine, Going through a bit of a Burt Reynolds phase here...
    I just ordered a Blu Ray of it. I consider it to be his finest film (Bernie Casey & Henry Silva are SO good in it....).
    Another favourite one is Shamus (what a killer Goldsmith score!). I would have said Fuzz, but that not a 'Burt Reynolds' film- more of an ensemble piece.

Reynolds fans sound off!

Sharkeys Machine is indeed a terrific thriller! One critic stated that it has the best opening sequence since Dirty Harry!
    His two movies 'White Lightning' and 'Gator' are also worth checking out! Also Robert Aldrichs 'Hustle' is worth a look! I remember going to see 'Beverly Hills Cop', and the showing I was going to was sold out, so I went to see 'City Heat' instead, a comedy gangster thriller, where Burt teamed with Clint Eastwood. Not their finest hour!!
    Plus Burt suffered a major injury on set that landed him in hospital for a couple of months.
    The bit I always remember, which I think is from Smokey and the Bandit II, is Reynolds letting someone know, very politely, that "your ass is on fire."
    Roger Moore appearing as 'Bond' in Burt's Cannonball Run movies surely pissed off the good folks at EON...
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,895
    I have brunette tunnel vision, so...Rachel Ward. I can't remember anything else about Sharkey's Machine. Kidding, obvs - but you know what I'm saying! ;)
    Venutius wrote: »
    I have brunette tunnel vision, so...Rachel Ward. I can't remember anything else about Sharkey's Machine. Kidding, obvs - but you know what I'm saying! ;)

I absolutely do!
    Did you see'Against All Odds'?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Reynolds fans sound off!

I love Sharky's Machine @Mathis1 !!!

Bernie Casey is in it who played Felix Leiter in NSNA...😁

I recently managed to get the Bluray on ebay for 15 quid. The novel it's based on is really good too.
    I absolutely do!

I did - and it wasn't to see Jeff Bridges or James Woods! ;)
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 7,653
    Even though he's not British, I'd love to have seen a Clint Eastwood Bond movie. But only if it was a one off. :P

Where Eagles dare he Clint Eastwood starred with Richard Burton in a pretty good war spy story and it showed that he was not meant to be a good 007, now Richard Burton was bloody fantastic as Spy.
    Even though it not Burt's movie alone, anyone here who hasn't seen Fuzz would do well to check it out. It's really excellent.
    Even though it not Burt's movie alone, anyone here who hasn't seen Fuzz would do well to check it out. It's really excellent.

Long time since I seen it! Afraid I dont remember much!
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 6,727

Reynolds fans sound off!

I love Sharky's Machine @Mathis1 !!!

Bernie Casey is in it who played Felix Leiter in NSNA...😁

I recently managed to get the Bluray on ebay for 15 quid. The novel it's based on is really good too.

Yes, The Machine are a great squad. With Bernie, there was Brian Keith and the superb Charles Durning!
    edited January 2022 Posts: 17,687

Long time since I seen it! Afraid I dont remember much!

Kind of a precursor to Hill Street Blues a decade later. Dramedy, before that phrase was coined.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Venutius wrote: »
    I absolutely do!

I did - and it wasn't to see Jeff Bridges or James Woods! ;)

Some of "us" were there to see Jane Greer!!! :x
    I thought it was a great idea to have Jane Greer play the mother of the character she'd played in Out of the Past.
    I lub dis flick.