Aesthetic Ideas

OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
Recently, I was looking at the art of the late famed neo-futurist, Syd Mead. Certain images led me to the idea that a cool look for some future installments of OO7 films would be a retro neo-futurist look. In other words, a throwback 60s vibe with futuristic elements.

Comments

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I'd love to see that.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 12,837
    Yeah, I would like them to get a bit bolder with the aesthetic of the films again. The old Ken Adams sets had a surreal quality to them that added to the pulpy adventure feel. Since then they seem a bit afraid of coming across as too cartoony. Even when we do get a secret base full of henchmen, like in GE, TND and NTTD, the whole set up feels quite muted and dull in comparison to the 60s and 70s sets. The sets and costumes feel like they could be from any other action film. They don’t have the retro futuristic atmosphere of the old sets, and the bad guys always just look like generic mooks. And I don’t understand why, personally. Bond’s reality has always been a heightened one, and we’re in the age of the comic book superhero now. Audiences are more used to that sort of weird and colourful stuff in blockbusters than ever. And Squid Game and Kingsman proved that extravagant hideaways and boiler suited henchmen can still work in a modern context.

DAD was probably the closest to manage anything close to that sort of atmosphere imo, with the ice palace and the guards wearing the OHMSS jackets. They didn’t quite get there, because the set looked pretty cheap, but at least they had the balls to go extravagant and colourful.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Yeah, I would like them to get a bit bolder with the aesthetic of the films again. The old Ken Adams sets had a surreal quality to them that added to the pulpy adventure feel.
    +1

• OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    Yeah, I would like them to get a bit bolder with the aesthetic of the films again. The old Ken Adams sets had a surreal quality to them that added to the pulpy adventure feel. Since then they seem a bit afraid of coming across as too cartoony. Even when we do get a secret base full of henchmen, like in GE, TND and NTTD, the whole set up feels quite muted and dull in comparison to the 60s and 70s sets. The sets and costumes feel like they could be from any other action film. They don’t have the retro futuristic atmosphere of the old sets, and the bad guys always just look like generic mooks. And I don’t understand why, personally. Bond’s reality has always been a heightened one, and we’re in the age of the comic book superhero now. Audiences are more used to that sort of weird and colourful stuff in blockbusters than ever. And Squid Game and Kingsman proved that extravagant hideaways and boiler suited henchmen can still work in a modern context.

DAD was probably the closest to manage anything close to that sort of atmosphere imo, with the ice palace and the guards wearing the OHMSS jackets. They didn’t quite get there, because the set looked pretty cheap, but at least they had the balls to go extravagant and colourful.

I cannot agree more. First and foremost, the producers need to assemble an inspired creative team that will really bring visual life to a future script.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Post this a whyle a go in villian lair thread..
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Twine ;) house

Very No Time To Die style..

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/10/10/twine-house-twisting-concrete-concept-antony-gibbon/

This one have a bit of QOS hotel and Asian feeling.

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/10/23/engawa-house-santiago-valdivieso-stefano-chilerolla

Fact there be some people walking in front or on it give a realy Bond feeling.