Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    I want film actors, they've got to know how to star in a film.

Now it's not mutually exclusive. And it's very possible that a person 8s better known on stage, but can very well do the transition on the big screen.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    "Well, we know Idris, we're friends with him, and he's a magnificent actor. And, you know, it's been part of the conversation, but it's always difficult to have the conversation when you have someone in the seat. So, you know, I think we have decided that until No Time to Die has had its run and Daniel has been able to - well, we've all been able to savor, reap the benefits of Daniel's wonderful tenure, we're not gonna think about, or talk about anybody else."

Barbara Broccoli talking about Idris Elba from Deadline

Not sure what to make of that to be honest, I think it's Barbara keeping her cards close to her chest but also acknowledging that nothing is off the table
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    "Well, we know Idris, we're friends with him, and he's a magnificent actor. And, you know, it's been part of the conversation, but it's always difficult to have the conversation when you have someone in the seat. So, you know, I think we have decided that until No Time to Die has had its run and Daniel has been able to - well, we've all been able to savor, reap the benefits of Daniel's wonderful tenure, we're not gonna think about, or talk about anybody else."

Not sure what to make of that to be honest, I think it's Barbara keeping her cards close to her chest but also acknowledging that nothing is off the table

This surfaced the other day on a number of entertainment sites. It does nothing to imply that Idris is being considered . It is a gracious, sincere, measured, diplomatic response to a reporter’s question.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Ludovico wrote: »

Now it's not mutually exclusive. And it's very possible that a person 8s better known on stage, but can very well do the transition on the big screen.

It's not mutually exclusive, obviously there are lots of folk who can do both, but it is a skill which has to be developed and I don't really want someone having to learn how to do screen acting whilst doing this particular job. There isn't time for that, they have to hit the ground running. They won't be picking someone who doesn't have a lot of screen experience.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Richard Madden or bust for me. Hell I'd even take Taron Egerton over Cavill, Theo James or any other actor.

It's crazy how young actors look today compared to how they looked in the 60s. If I was watching DN or OHMSS for the first time and you told me that Connery was only 31 and Lazenby was only 29, I'd say you're crazy as they look and act so much older.
    talos7 wrote: »

This surfaced the other day on a number of entertainment sites. It does nothing to imply that Idris is being considered . It is a gracious, sincere, measured, diplomatic response to a reporter’s question.

They're celebrating Daniel's achievements in the role for the time being. It might've even been in the same interview, but I'm fairly certain Barbara mentioned the process hasn't begun on developing the next film. Purvis and Wade haven't started writing the script.

I seriously doubt Eon would cast a new Bond and then begin developing another movie.
    Hypothetically if Idris were cast, he'd be roughly Roger Moore's retirement age when the movie starts filming in say, 5-6 years. Then if he were to remain in the role for 15 years (like Daniel), he'd be around 70 for his final outing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Hypothetically if Idris were cast, he'd be roughly Roger Moore's retirement age when the movie starts filming in say, 5-6 years. Then if he were to remain in the role for 15 years (like Daniel), he'd be around 70 for his final outing.

70 years old in his second Bond film! Think about it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    I’d still push for Theo James and Nicholas Hoult as my preferred choices Tom Hughes as well, although his resume is mostly tv based. Very good actor though.

I don't know much about Theo James. What his acting like? He looks in great shape, is good looking and doesn't have a permabeard in all his photos.

If he's a solid actor then I'll certainly back him along with Jack Lowden.

Hoult. Lowden and James , as well as A. Turner, are three of my top prospects… at the moment.

'Let's count to three, you can do that can't you?'
    ;)
    Not sure about Lowden myself. But the other three have potential.

70 years old in his second Bond film! Think about it.

There is never a 70 year old around when you need one.
    I’d still push for Theo James and Nicholas Hoult as my preferred choices Tom Hughes as well, although his resume is mostly tv based. Very good actor though.

I don't know much about Theo James. What his acting like? He looks in great shape, is good looking and doesn't have a permabeard in all his photos.

Hoult. Lowden and James , as well as A. Turner, are three of my top prospects… at the moment.

'Let's count to three, you can do that can't you?'
    ;)
    Not sure about Lowden myself. But the other three have potential.

I’m was aware; that’s why Turner is separated . I was pointing out that the three actors named in the previous post are at the top of my list . But thanks 😉

Hoult, Lowden and James sounds like a law firm. A. Turner does as well.
    Speaking of lawyers, somebody suggested the new Perry Mason actor to play Bond.

Matthew Rhys?
    Great actor...The Americans would be his most famous role. Too old for the part now, but not a terrible choice in years gone by.

Matthew Rhys?
    Great actor...The Americans would be his most famous role. Too old for the part now, but not a terrible choice in years gone by.

Looking at photos, I don’t see at all but he does look a bit like Fleming.
    I know everyone certainly has their own opinion, but I question how informed some of the opinions may be. Eg. Looking at still shots of an actor vs Seeming them in a performance.

R Madden ? Please just watch him in The Take, in which his physical and overall comparison with Idris Elba is quite obvious. So much so, in fact, that his own character notes the differences ! Bond need not be as physically imposing as other characters - such as the impressively large and strong henchmen he sometimes must face - but he can't be a wee lil' boyo, either.

Henry Cavill ? Got to play Fleming's other spy creation, Napoleon Solo, in The Man From UNCLE...he did not write the script nor film the movie, but it - and he as Solo - did not light the world on fire.

Tom Ellis of Lucifer ? Turn the sound on when he speaks...I like the show, and he is likeable in the part, but...turn the sound on when he speaks. That should settle it right there.
  • I'm a big fan of The Americans and I think in a parallel world Matthew Rhys playing Bond wouldn't have been too different from Craig's characterization. There is something similar in both actors' intensity, sensitivity, and chameleon traits. In some scenes in The Americans I'm amazed at how much likeness he has to Craig (not necessarily looks, but the acting).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,895
    They could just hire Kevin McKidd, get him to use the accent he had in Rome and have him carry on Craig's storylines... ;)
    kevin-mckidd-pic.png

• Venutius wrote: »
    They could just hire Kevin McKidd, get him to use the accent he had in Rome and have him carry on Craig's storylines... ;)
    kevin-mckidd-pic.png

He could be Bond's long-lost cousin (nephew of Andrew Bond) who also happens to be named James Bond. He joins MI6 to take continue his late cousin's work.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Heh! Yes of you told me he’s his brother I’d believe you.
    Likewise I always think The Bourne Legacy is a bit weird: Rachel Weiss playing romantic lead to a spy who doesn’t exactly look unlike her real life husband!

It's not mutually exclusive, obviously there are lots of folk who can do both, but it is a skill which has to be developed and I don't really want someone having to learn how to do screen acting whilst doing this particular job. There isn't time for that, they have to hit the ground running. They won't be picking someone who doesn't have a lot of screen experience.

Well, everything I relative. How much is "a lot"?

They're celebrating Daniel's achievements in the role for the time being. It might've even been in the same interview, but I'm fairly certain Barbara mentioned the process hasn't begun on developing the next film. Purvis and Wade haven't started writing the script.

I seriously doubt Eon would cast a new Bond and then begin developing another movie.

Idris Elba would be the first geriatric Bond.
    theo James I like beause he is older then me :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Not sure what you’re after here..? More than a stage actor is a start.

Not sure what you’re after here..? More than a stage actor is a start.

What I mean is often stage actors also have screen experience, or at least have received training to work on screen as well. I would not dismiss one that has mainly a stage career.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I would be amazed if they went for someone with little to no screen experience.
    Aside from George Lazenby, the actor playing Bond hasn’t been a complete unknown. Not well known, but Dalton and Craig were known actors in small film roles and tv.
    I’d be surprised if EON went for a complete unknown. I feel when the next actor is announced, he’ll be someone known to people.
    Who that is, I can’t say.
    Aside from George Lazenby, the actor playing Bond hasn’t been a complete unknown. Not well known, but Dalton and Craig were known actors in small film roles and tv.
    I’d be surprised if EON went for a complete unknown. I feel when the next actor is announced, he’ll be someone known to people.
    Who that is, I can’t say.

You can't say because you don't know who, or you know who, but can't say?
  • My hopes would be they'll cast a relatively unknown young actor who matches Fleming's description in the books, and everything will be in place already. There's a grumpy male M who Bond respects, a Moneypenny* who has a thing for Bond, and Q in his lab giving him gadgets. I hope they'll not feel the need to make any kind of origin story, and have him already a 00 a few years into his missions. Just start afresh with a Bond that could be a continuation of the 'classic' series, or might not be, but we don't have to think about any of that because it's all fresh and new and there's not too much apple-peeling and finger-sucking this time round, thanks.

*. . . it shouldn't need saying, but a female Moneypenny, please.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 1,661
    Idris Elba has been rumoured to be up to play a villain. Not Bond.

Whoever gets the part should be thankful they got in the first place. Had Barbara Broccoli got her way Craig would have been Bond until 2035!
    "We had opened up [Casino Royale] and it was a big success and everybody embraced him and it was all great excitement. And, he and I were in the back of the car in Berlin, going from the screening there to the hotel. And, he brought the idea up then. He said, 'What about if I die at the end?' Well, first of all, he said, 'How many of these pictures have I got to do?' Which made me laugh. All the negotiating we'd been doing with the agents and everybody and we thought he was really up to speed, which he would've been, but he kind of put it to the back of his mind. And, he said, 'How many?' And, stupidly, I said four. I should've said nine or ten. I should've lied. But, I said four, which is what the deal was at the time."

https://screenrant.com/daniel-craig-james-bond-movies-number-barbara-broccoli/

Five Craig Bond films in fifteen years. Another five could be another fifteen years. That would mean he's Bond up to 2035!

download.jpg

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,419
    How many times is that Barbara quote going to get dropped haha? I don't think Craig would voluntarily survive even another 10 years and I think on a business level everyone is happy he's moving on in a graceful manner and probably secretly excited for all the world building they get to do again. I bet Amazon will expect billion dollar box office for each outing next time around and I hope they strive to earn it.

Who knows, the way he snagged Mendes to direct at a random party, maybe Craig will have some similar role in picking the next actor.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Idris Elba has been rumoured to be up to play a villain. Not Bond.

Whoever gets the part should be thankful they got in the first place. Had Barbara Broccoli got her way Craig would have been Bond until 2035!
    "We had opened up [Casino Royale] and it was a big success and everybody embraced him and it was all great excitement. And, he and I were in the back of the car in Berlin, going from the screening there to the hotel. And, he brought the idea up then. He said, 'What about if I die at the end?' Well, first of all, he said, 'How many of these pictures have I got to do?' Which made me laugh. All the negotiating we'd been doing with the agents and everybody and we thought he was really up to speed, which he would've been, but he kind of put it to the back of his mind. And, he said, 'How many?' And, stupidly, I said four. I should've said nine or ten. I should've lied. But, I said four, which is what the deal was at the time."

https://screenrant.com/daniel-craig-james-bond-movies-number-barbara-broccoli/

Five Craig Bond films in fifteen years. Another five could be another fifteen years. That would mean he's Bond up to 2035!

download.jpg

I wonder how this rumor started of Elba playing the villain? No script, no plot, nothing whatsoever has been done on the development of B26 just yet.
    Why cast Elba as a villain for a role that doesn't exist?
    That said, I think he'd probably make an excellent Bond villain. One of the best.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Quick question, I'd be interested to know some thoughts on this.
    Do you think MGW and BB take any notice of the 'flavour of the month' candidates perpetrated by the media?
    Do you think this helps, hinders and does not effect their individual chances of becoming Bond in any way?