'I'm Too Old For This ****' Lethal Weapon 5 aka Lethal Finale...

Comments

cooperman2 wrote: »
    If it's happening I just hope Gibson gets rid of that awful beard he's been sporting for the last few years. Cannot stand the thought of beardy Riggs. Clean shaven Mel is best

Agree about the beard. I addition to that, I think the mullet needs to make a comeback in LETHAL WEAPON 5.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This movie will be for those like me who totally enjoyed Indiana Jones & The Marion Marriage Finally, and The Matrix: Romantics.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    This movie will be for those like me who totally enjoyed Indiana Jones & The Marion Marriage Finally, and The Matrix: Romantics.

I have a hunch I'm going to love it. I actually liked the last INDY movie. Still haven't seen the new MATRIX though.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »

I have a hunch I'm going to love it. I actually liked the last INDY movie. Still haven't seen the new MATRIX though.

You are supposed to hate it, just like Crystal Skull. OBEY. ;)

Yes I missed the mullet in Lethal 4, Riggs just didn't look right with short hair.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If he teams the mullet up with the beard he may end up looking like Billy Connolly.
    mtm wrote: »
    If he teams the mullet up with the beard he may end up looking like Billy Connolly.

LOL. Very true.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I know people hate the fourth, but it honestly is the best we could ask for from a franchise that feels like a combination of Dirty Harry and Loony Tunes.

The only time this franchise was ever truly dark was in Shane Black's original unaltered script with zero humor and levity. Once Richard Donner came on board, it was always going to end up in the direction it did. And that's okay.

That said, I don't think a fifth film is a good idea.

let-it-go-indiana-jones.gif
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't mind the fourth film too much. It's solid entertainment.
  • I can certainly see the appeal of all four of the films, as each is fun in its own way, but to me LW3 and LW4 seem like part of an entirely different series. More slapsticky, more broad humor, no stakes, no danger, no edge. The first two have moments that are extremely funny but they also have a darkness and grittiness to them that makes their energy feel palpable and electric.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’m not a fan of the fourth; it far to silly. The third is ok, but doesn’t hold a candle to the first two. Like Stallone did with Rocky Balboa (2006) I hope Mel can recapture the tone of LW and LW2. He’s an OSCAR winning director, if he brings his A game this could be good.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,999
    You could argue things already got silly with the second film. In the first, Riggs’ seeming death wish is treated fairly seriously and with a lot of gravitas. By the second movie it’s all played for laughs and brushed off as “he’s just so darn WACKY!” Aside from fridging Riggs’ new girlfriend, it’s pretty in line with the other sequels. The reason 3 and 4 got even more comedic and slapstick was because the comedic bits on 2 worked. “THIS IS MY WIFE’S STATION WAGON RIGGS!” Riggs’ in a straight jacket. The condom commercial “RUBBERS RUBBERS RUBBERS!!” Leo Getz. Murtaugh as “Alfonse”

Even the very beginning of 2 opens with LOONY TUNES music and Riggs acting like a cartoon!

You could argue things already got silly with the second film. In the first, Riggs’ seeming death wish is treated fairly seriously and with a lot of gravitas. By the second movie it’s all played for laughs and brushed off as “he’s just so darn WACKY!” Aside from fridging Riggs’ new girlfriend, it’s pretty in line with the other sequels. The reason 3 and 4 got even more comedic and slapstick was because the comedic bits on 2 worked. “THIS IS MY WIFE’S STATION WAGON RIGGS!” Riggs’ in a straight jacket. The condom commercial “RUBBERS RUBBERS RUBBERS!!” Leo Getz. Murtaugh as “Alfonse”

Even the very beginning of 2 opens with LOONY TUNES music and Riggs acting like a cartoon!

The first one is okay IMO, but the second one was better (actually the best), 3 was okay, and 4 was the second best. Your mileage will certainly vary.
    2 was definitely the best balance of drama, heart and comedic relief.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I tend to agree: I watched the first two again recently and the first one feels like it's over before it's really started, somehow. 2 is when it really gets into gear.

I remember 3 as being a lot of big, silly enjoyable fun though.
    talos7 wrote: »
    2 was definitely the best balance of drama, heart and comedic relief.

2 is my favourite, also. Such great villains and so many fun lines of dialogue. The first would be close behind it, though.

3 and 4 are extremely entertaining, if noticeably lighter fare. There's just so much great chemistry among the cast that it's hard to dismiss any of them, really.
    This is from 4 years ago; the chemistry is still there.

That's lovely. They're still big kids.
    It would be fun to see a fifth film just to see them working together again.
  • 4 used to be my favorite. Followed closely by 2.

Nowadays it’s:

talos7 wrote: »
    This is from 4 years ago; the chemistry is still there.

Thanks for that talos7, I never saw this before, it's great.
    If I had to rank them, it would probably be:

I rank 3 lowest mainly because it has the weakest villain, but it's also because it feels like they're playing with separate plots that don't really tie together all that well. 4 has that same deal, but I think they did slightly better looking for ways to tie them up.

The best thing about 3 is Rene Russo.
    The best thing about 3 is Rene Russo.
    Definitely.
    I rank them:
    2 & 4

And I like them all.
    One of the things I liked about 4 was that Lorna wasn't simply reduced to a damsel (or simply given nothing to do at all) because she was pregnant.
    One of the things I liked about 4 was that Lorna wasn't simply reduced to a damsel (or simply given nothing to do at all) because she was pregnant.

She was so badass. Their kid must be even more so.
    One thing that caught me on rewatch. It's the bit when Riggs decides to mess with a jay walker by pretending he's going to kill him on the street "we can make it look like a suicide!" "no, there's video cameras!"

Like wooooowww... that would NOT play today. Especially given what we know of Mel's behavior in private. WOOF.

It's funny, when watching Riggs go crazy these days I now have to ask myself "is this acting or is Mel just being himself?"
    One thing that caught me on rewatch. It's the bit when Riggs decides to mess with a jay walker by pretending he's going to kill him on the street "we can make it look like a suicide!" "no, there's video cameras!"

Like wooooowww... that would NOT play today. Especially given what we know of Mel's behavior in private. WOOF.

It's funny, when watching Riggs go crazy these days I now have to ask myself "is this acting or is Mel just being himself?"

I don't know how old you are, but 3 came out around the time of the Rodney King beating & that scene made me really uneasy back then. Really bad timing for a gag like that that was already in poor taste. But Riggs finding true love made it bearable.
    I was 5 when the third movie came out, so this and Rodney King obviously wasn't in my radar. I didn't see any of the movies until HBO started running all four films in 1998, which was when I was getting into action films of that era like DIE HARD and PREDATOR.

Funnily, my grandpa had an NES console and this was one of the games I would play when I visited. I had no idea it was a movie franchise at the time. Same with the NES game for THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER.

I was 5 when the third movie came out
    Wow, you don't come off like a whippersnapper. Kudos to your intellect belying your age.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,999
    Ha! On another forum folks were bewildered by my age, one claiming they pictured me as being in their 50s, in a bathrobe smoking a pipe.

I mean I wish I was Bruce Campbell in an Old Spice commercial, but nobody can be but Bruce Campbell.