NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    If Joker can get nominated NTTD should do.

His performance was transformative, and also, he died.
  • RyanRyan Canada

I'm assuming he was referring to the 2019 film, which received a Best Picture nod among many others.
    Ryan wrote: »

I'm assuming he was referring to the 2019 film, which received a Best Picture nod among many others.

Oh yeah, of course. :)) Thanks for pointing that out.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I always forget of that.

To think trash like JOKER got a nod and not SKYFALL. Baffling.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,518
    I actually liked Joker a lot. And actors like Phoenix and De Niro are always going to attract the attention of the academy. And the fact that it was "topical".

Bond will always be too "pulp" I think for the academy. Similarly with Marvel.
    I couldn’t understand the appeal of Phoenix. All he did was contort his body and looked like he constipated a lot. Overrated.
    I don't know, I don't really agree, I think he did more than that. I think you can say that sort of thing for any performance you don't like. I had a friend who said once Ledger won the Oscar and all he did was smack and lick his lips, like, clearly there was more to it than that.

I think there was more in Joaquin's performance than contorting his body and looking constipated, but we all take different things from these performances.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    NWH is getting close to NTTD in the UK.
    It won’t top it, but it’s gonna be scary close…
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    An excellent appraisal of the Craig era. Hard to argue with most of this.

• Great to see that Billie Eilish has won Best song at Golden Globes. Love the song. So the American voters have heard of NTTD then!
  • Ryan wrote: »

Yes. Dark Knight is a classic and deserved all awards it got. Joker with Phoenix is a good film but no more deserving of awards attention than nttd imo.
    Great to see that Billie Eilish has won Best song at Golden Globes. Love the song. So the American voters have heard of NTTD then!

There are no American Voters at the Golden Globes.
    The awards are given out by journalists from foreign countries.
    NTTD on Friday became the first movie since Frozen 2 to reach 6M admissions in Germany.
  • Jan1985 wrote: »
    Great to see that Billie Eilish has won Best song at Golden Globes. Love the song. So the American voters have heard of NTTD then!

There are no American Voters at the Golden Globes.
    The awards are given out by journalists from foreign countries.

OK. My bad. I let my cynicism get the better of me there!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Yes. Dark Knight is a classic and deserved all awards it got. Joker with Phoenix is a good film but no more deserving of awards attention than nttd imo.

What are you talking about? Phoenix in Joker is absolutely magnificent; any award is completely deserved.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    matt_u wrote: »
    NTTD on Friday became the first movie since Frozen 2 to reach 6M admissions in Germany.

It really was highly appreciated over here in Germany - I can see and hear it everywhere. It may have not been as attractive to - for example - the american audience but for the UK (well - no wonder ... it's a national treasure and rightly so!) as well as Germany (plus more countries in Europe) it was a HUGE hit. Also on Home Media Sales as far as I can say.
  • Of all the major film franchises, Bond always seems most tailored to European audiences, which I find refreshing. UK, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, and the Nordic countries especially seem to lap up every Bond film with great passion.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    I'd have to guess if there is data to support that it wasn't as appreciated in the US, it's probably because he's a British agent for one, and two, the film probably wasn't woke enough for the pandemic of the brainwashed folks here that might make up the majority of movie going drones who likely just play on their phones anyway....I certainly appreciated every Bond movie I have gone to see
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

What are you talking about? Phoenix in Joker is absolutely magnificent; any award is completely deserved.

That's not what I said fella. Phoenix was great but no better than Dan Craig in NTTD.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 4,343
    This weekend in the UK NTTD benefited from a +45% compared to the previous weekend for a total £96,594,314 cume.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

That's not what I said fella. Phoenix was great but no better than Dan Craig in NTTD.

Well, I agree they're both awesome in their respective films.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Its interesting to note just where the Bond films have landed in the worldwide and US box office rankings. Lets take the Dalton age onwards:

Worldwide / US Only

TLD: 4th / 19th
    LTK: 10th / 36th
    GE: 3rd /6th
    TND: 4th / 9th
    TWINE: 8th / 14th
    DAD: 6th / 12th
    CR: 4th / 9th
    QOS: 7th / 9th
    SF: 2nd / 4th
    SP: 6th / 10th
    NTTD: 4th / 7th

(Source: The Numbers)

Bond has always been a more internationally appealing series.
    To be fair NTTD should be placed 2nd in that poll, given the fact that those two Chinese films made 99.9% of their gross in China alone.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You know 2012 was a big year for blockbusters when a behemoth like SF was only hitting fourth place.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    You know 2012 was a big year for blockbusters when a behemoth like SF was only hitting fourth place.

Yeah in the US that year SF outgrossed The Hobbit by only $1 million.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Yeah in the US that year SF outgrossed The Hobbit by only $1 million.

The other thing you have to realize is that this is the generation of stick your nose in a screen and shut up for awhile and most people run around like racoons drawn to shiny objects instead of truly appreciating a good story, well developed characters, and a sense of tradition. So when you are pitted against films geared toward children that have been convinced they have ADHD and are likely on some sort of medication, you're not likely to get the same review from a franchise film that has stood the test of time.
    We get it Ken, you hate those meddling kids. Tell them to get off your lawn.
    We get it Ken, you hate those meddling kids. Tell them to get off your lawn.

actually I'm more annoyed at their "what's the big deal anyway" parents who tend not to teach a minimum amount of respect for things, like traditions, or in this example the movie going experience...I was simply trying to illustrate why there isn't such great reviews on movies these days...but honestly I could care less about some kid's experience as long as we aren't ruining it for each other, especially if I paid money to have the experience...I also just watch movies at home more often now...last time I was in the theater was when Solo was released, thanks to covid and a few other ridiculous things
    You probably just need to find a better theater.

Out of all my experiences, I can only say I went through one showing that had noisy teenagers. Maybe it’s a regional thing.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Theater trips just aren't worth the time, money and energy for me anymore. I'll rarely go for the absolute must see films, but considering just how lightning fast the theater-to-digital/physical turnaround is these days, I don't mind waiting a few weeks/a couple of months to experience most films.