The Science - Science Fiction thread

Comments

• Duncan Jones, Moon - awesome.
    double awesome.
  • http://www.universalvod.net/movies/6134-cowboys-and-aliens/

now available on VOD - see DC kick alien bottoms.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,686

Poor Maggie Grace, she needs Daddy Liam Neeson to save her once again...

• Poor Maggie Grace, she needs Daddy Liam Neeson to save her once again...

Maggie can save herself, what's Guy Pearce doing as an action hero?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Great stuff, @forgotmyusername!
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-OEQryeDuh0

IBM=Hal see what he did there

The links doesn't do it for me.

If you are, however, suggesting that HAL is just three times one letter down from IBM, I can safely say that Clarke NEVER intended it to be that way. He's been very clear about that. ;-)
    Okay, wow! If this is true, I'm in heaven. We can finally complete the standard model of particle physics and proclaim the start of a new age in science. Man, I so hope they're right about all this!
    I love science fiction and science interests me however it is my wife who is the science brainiac in our family. She is currently doing a PHD in fetal programming of molecular mechanisms of mitochondrial dysfunction in metabolic syndrome
    edited July 2012 Posts: 23,449
    I love science fiction and science interests me however it is my wife who is the science brainiac in our family. She is currently doing a PHD in fetal programming of molecular mechanisms of mitochondrial dysfunction in metabolic syndrome

Impressive! The world needs more scientists, IMO, if we are to finally tackle issues that really matter. Please wish her good luck in her PhD endeavours, @myworldisenough.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Impressive! The world needs more scientists, IMO, if we are to finally tackle issues that really matter. Please wish her good luck in her PhD endeavours, @myworldisenough.

I totally agree with you DarthDimi, the world needs more scientists to make continued advances. So much in our world we take for granted but without the hard work of scientists, so much that we do take for granted and have much benifited from wouldn't have been.

Thank you, I will pass on your best wishes to her. I'm very proud of her for all the hard work, commitment and passion that she has for her career and studies.
    And you should be, @myworldisenough! Your wife, like many other scientists, commits her energy and time to the benefit of all of us.

I'm a scientists myself, albeit in the field of chemistry, and ever since I was a boy I wanted to teach. Hence, I teach chemistry. I don't do research or work on tough projects myself. However, I hope to make at least some contributions to science and the world by (hopefully) inspiring youngsters to pursue a career in science. So far, I can't say I've been unsuccessful in that. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    And you should be, @myworldisenough! Your wife, like many other scientists, commits her energy and time to the benefit of all of us.

I'm a scientists myself, albeit in the field of chemistry, and ever since I was a boy I wanted to teach. Hence, I teach chemistry. I don't do research or work on tough projects myself. However, I hope to make at least some contributions to science and the world by (hopefully) inspiring youngsters to pursue a career in science. So far, I can't say I've been unsuccessful in that. ;-)

Good for you Sir! Teaching is a very noble and selfless profession. My Mother was a teacher for many years but now retired. It is good to know that my Mother's efforts and those of your goodself can make a real difference and inspire young people onto great things. :)
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,782
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2012/jul/04/higgs-boson-discovered-live-coverage-cern

I thought the announcement was going to be about the faster than light experiments but this shows us the undiscovered country and now we know where to go and explore. Exciting stuff.

edited July 2012 Posts: 23,449

Brilliant, sir, thank you!

Yes, we can get out there and explore. And let's hope we have matured enough to not put whatever practical applications may arise from this to wrong use. It frightens me sometimes to make genuine scientific discoveries in a world that suffers from rising religious fanaticism. If anything, this discovery should increase the religious modesty of certain groups. How long are they going to cling to a medieval view of the world's origin and the forces that drive nature? Ignorance is bliss, yes, but never in the field of physics, IMO. Ignorance, in that particular case, is dangerous. It opens the door for wrong answers to questions nearly all humans ask at one point. And out of those wrong answers, unsafe and sometimes downright insane ideas are born. So, I hope that with this discovery, we come one step closer to global acceptance of the reality of physics.
  • Higgs Boson goes into a Catholic church.
    The priest says, "You're not welcome here."
    Higgs Boson says "You can't have mass
    without me."
    Higgs Boson goes into a Catholic church.
    without me."

:)) Very, very clever and funny! =D>
    Haha, great! :p
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Higgs Boson goes into a Catholic church.
    without me."
    Hell yeah!
    =))
    @Darth to answer your question from november ( I lost track on this fine thread) no, I never got my degree I'm afraid to say, I ended up with a Bachelors in History from the University of Amsterdam. But no matter, I love science. As you said before, religion is a dogmatic way of answering the questions we all ask ourselves at one point. What's the meaning of (my) life? Well, I found mine. I'm an entrepeneur now, and I'm working hard to make a lot of money. When I've got that money, I'll be investing in projects to make our economy sustainable, while at the same time shooting for the stars. Litterally, I want to do what Branson does. Send people to space. Send scientists to other planets! Science rocks!
    Whatever crazyness politicians may come up with, I think it's up to entrepeneurs with vision to help science along, as the did in the 17th century.
    Impressive ambition, @CommanderRoss! You put a smile on my face. The smallest step beyond the horizon, does matter.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Thanks @Darth! I've been working for companies for the last five years, and actually I've been dying slowly. I need the rush, the freedom and the visions. I really want to change this world for the better! I was just looking at footage from the Royal Air Tattoo (upcoming this weekend) and I got the same feeling as I had when I was still flying gliders: that complete sense of freedom and being out there. I know science can bring that feeling also, but on a wider scale. Advancement in technology, the rush you get when you're doing something completely new, something that nobody has done before. I mean, we see what they're doing in Switserland, and we all go 'wow, that's so cool!'. What was that sentence again? ' There's no point in living if you can't feel alive'? I need that. I want to inspire people to put themselves at the edge of their abilities. One day our children's children should look back at us and think' wow, that's really cool what they did there! We have to do something like that as well!'.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I have a question that boggles my mind everytime I ask it to myself - what triggered the Big Bang ? What happened before ? What existed before the Big Bang ?
    A good question, DC! Particle physics seems rather engaged with this mystery and hopes to be able to solve it in time. Whether it'll be successful or not it something no-one knows. It's remarkable how complicated things have been explained satisfyingly by science whereas seemingly simple things, like gravity, mass and - indeed - the beginning of it all, cause us some terrible headaches. ;-)
    A big headache I have is everytime I think that if the universe if 'finite', I wonder what it must be like at the edges of the universe.... and what's beyond it. @-)

I'm reading right at this moment an article on the Big Bang on wikipedia - very interesting stuff.
    A big headache I have is everytime I think that if the universe if 'finite', I wonder what it must be like at the edges of the universe.... and what's beyond it. @-)

Nothing: no space, no matter, no energy, no time, no laws of physics. Nothing! ;-)

edited July 2012 Posts: 15,686
    DarthDimi wrote:

Nothing: no space, no matter, no energy, no time, no laws of physics. Nothing! ;-)

well if the universe is expanding, there must be something beyond it ? it is 'gaining place' on what's beyond it ? The universe is 'finite', so there must be something beyond it, no ? you really mean there is absolutly nothing on the other side of the edges of the universe ?
    DarthDimi wrote:

well if the universe is expanding, there must be something beyond it ? it is 'gaining place' on what's beyond it ? The universe is 'finite', so there must be something beyond it, no ? you really mean there is absolutly nothing on the other side of the edges of the universe ?

Nothing definable as far as we can tell. One can only call it "emptiness" I guess and I've described what it implies. Some crazy stuff, wouldn't you say? ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Nothing definable as far as we can tell. One can only call it "emptiness" I guess and I've described what it implies. Some crazy stuff, wouldn't you say? ;-)

Very crazy !