Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Mallory wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Mallory wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I guess after the speedboat thing backfired on them they might not try a stunt next time! Just have him walk out, backlit as a silhouette, into a gunbarrel and then bring the lights up :)

Perfect!

Whenever it is, I dont think we will be completely in the dark as to who it is. The trades will have unofficially confirmed it prior to the official unveiling. I would be surprised if we didnt have a really good idea beforehand.

True. I recall the papers announcing Craig a couple days before his official press conference.

Wasnt that because Craigs Mother accidentally broke the news to a journo?

Yep!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/daniel-craig-s-mother-blows-the-new-james-bond-s-cover-319546.html

I had forgotten this. That's hilarious.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    I guess after the speedboat thing backfired on them they might not try a stunt next time! Just have him walk out, backlit as a silhouette, into a gunbarrel and then bring the lights up :)

Yeah. That would be cool too. Almost like a stage performance :)

Shoot him out of a cannon.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,895
    What you mean, if he drowned? :))

Nah, I'm sure he can swim as well as he can drive stick... When Craig told the Marines guy that he wasn't going to wear the lifejacket, he was told that if he didn't wear it the boat wasn't going anywhere. So he reluctantly put it on and sulked a bit through the press conference. Lazenby would've said sod it then and gone to the pub with the PR girl instead...or stolen the boat and driven it to the press conference himself. 😉

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He wouldn't, no :)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Re: casting James Bond 007: (take this however you see fit)
    I was told by someone who is very close to these productions:
    1. Nothing will move before the Amazon sale is locked (which was also my belief);
    2. They won’t cast before a script is done, but;
    3. he says there isn’t a script for Bond 26;
    4. nor have writers been hired (as of this post).
    5. As I’ve also said, Barbara Broccoli is finishing post on a film (a civil right’s film co-produced by Whoopi Goldberg and (I think, but could be wrong), Barbara Broccoli’s ex-husband Frederick Zollo.
    6. Barbara is also producing Daniel Craig’s MacBeth on Broadway that opens late April and runs through to summer.
    7. This is my own add-on: there is also a retrospective look at Craig’s five Bond films in the book Being James Bond by Mark Salisbury (I mention this because, theoretically if you’re searching for a new Bond at this point, but a retrospective on “the last guy” is being released, it could run a little interference for the potential incumbents).

Combine all of this and I think Broccoli et Al will want the deck cleared of anything involving Daniel Craig (his Broadway play with his Bond producer and a retrospective book on his five 007 films); then they will hire writers.

I’m guessing after the Bond roll out, the Civil Rights film and producing MacBeth, Broccoli takes the rest of the summer.

Come autumn she and her crew start interviewing writers for their take on a Bond story.

Say they hire the writers in late fall; then there is Christmas break where the film industry has a nice long pause.

January ‘23 they work with the writers on the new direction.

The writers go away to write outlines.

By Spring theyre given the green light to go ahead and do a three step development.

By the time they have a solid draft (there will be more rewrites to come, but that will be after casting), they will start their search. Say this is October ‘23.

How long does a casting cattlecall of this magnitude take? Six months? Eight months? A year? With a potential Christmas break in the middle of it?

Maybe a new Bond is cast in September or October ‘24? Then into filming in November for a November ‘25 release (?)?….

I could be right off the rails, and it’s happened more than once in my life, but taking the scraps of info I’ve been gifted, and some guesswork on my part, my gut still says all of this will be even further down the road than my optimistic outlook above.

Like I said, take as you will; this was compiled by scraps of info and my guesswork stringing everything together.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Cool that you have a contact close to the productions. I’d say everything in your post makes perfect sense to me. I wouldn’t put any money on anything coming earlier than you’ve outlined here.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @NickTwentyTwo … he informed me that Craig would be coming back before the announcement, that Malek was as good as hired by that years Oscar weekend; that B25 was going back to Jamaica, as well as other things. I’d say everything he’s ever shared has been over 90% bang on.

But, I suppose, these are also crazy times and things can change. However, that’s the info I have right now, and the rest was me threading that info into something coherent and, I think, realistic.

Anyways, let’s see how it plays out, 😂.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think it makes sense too: I can well believe they won’t cast until they have a script. And on Companies House they still haven’t opened a limited company for the production of B26, so I think you’re right to say they haven’t started on it yet. I don’t think a book will make any difference either way, but I’m sure you’re right to say Bond #7 is a way off yet.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Just saying Sam Claflin now has a less busy schedule with the last season of Peaky Blinders coming out this year.
  • So Daniel Craig despite no longer being Bond is still holding up proceedings to get things moving sooner with the next Bond installment.

We waited 6 years for NTTD (a highly disappointing film) and now we're looking at potentially a 4 year wait for Bond 26 since NTTD? I wish Barbara would priorotise her focus and efforts on Bond. I see no reason why script treatments can't start as early as this year.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    So Daniel Craig despite no longer being Bond is still holding up proceedings to get things moving sooner with the next Bond installment. (1)

We waited 6 years for NTTD (a highly disappointing film) (2)and now we're looking at potentially a 4 year wait for Bond 26 since NTTD? I wish Barbara would priorotise her focus and efforts on Bond. (3) I see no reason why script treatments can't start as early as this year.

1. Daniel Craig isn't electing to hold up the proceedings to spite you or something; everyone involved is currently caught up in other projects that are equally worth their time.

2. "A highly disappointing film" to you maybe, but clearly not to a great many.

3. You may wish that, but the world does not revolve around your opinions or what you want. You come across as quite self-centered and spoiled with a post like this.

Everyone has lives, and several projects on the go, especially successful business people like Broccoli and MGW. They're not just going to drop everything to make a Bond film for you.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 7,500
    Great post, @peter, but reading it was a downer, not gonna lie... 😆

I feel obliged to ask a counter question:

I realize producing a Broadway show requires a lot of work, but I still don't understand why it shouldn't be possible to interview possible writers and get the process starting in the meantime? Working on different projects is possible (my employers demand that of me anyway :P ). She isn't writing the script, the writers are. She just needs to hire one or two. Besides, it's not like she is alone. MGW is also hanging around and should be able to do some work. Or will he simply take another holiday now?

You should be able to get the writing process started even if the final details on the contract with Amazon is still being finalized and Craig is still hanging around. I don't really see the issue, honestly, but maybe I'm just being naive...

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,861
    Yes I'm not sure how hands-on a role being a show producer is, I would imagine some mild multi-tasking could go on. She has produced four other shows which started the year before a Bond film was released (including Chitty, which has to be the biggest), so I wouldn't have thought it would be a major impediment in itself.
    If it's right about nothing going ahead until the Amazon deal is finalised (and it makes sense, why would you start if the money isn't there yet?) then that sounds like the main obstacle at the moment.
    jobo wrote: »
    MGW is also hanging around and should be able to do some work. Or will he simply take another holiday now?

Well he is 79; it wouldn't be a major shock if he decided to step back. He still seemed to be very active on the promo for NTTD though.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,035
    @mtm My guess with MGW is that he will want to establish the next Bond and future of that run of films, much like Cubby and Brosnan, before semi or fully retiring.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited January 2022 Posts: 8,254
    @jobo

I've been hearing for at least a year -- from this same person-- that Gregg will be taking over the day to day role that his father played leading up to and into the next film.

I believe MGW will be very much a strong presence as a consultant and I imagine his finger prints will be on the new direction and story (as well as having a voice in casting);

As for why Broccoli wouldn't interview writers while at work on the Broadway play? Complete shot in the dark from me: she most certainly could, but it's my feeling (purely my feeling), that while she's working with Craig, on a completely separate project than Bond, she's not looking at all at the series for these next few months. It doesn't seem to be the way she operates. I could be absolutely incorrect in this, but when we were chatting about all things EoN, my friend was clear that nothing is happening and seems nothing will for quite some time.

That's why I took whatever info he shared and threaded a time line.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,861
    peter wrote: »
    As for why Broccoli wouldn't interview writers while at work on the Broadway play? Complete shot in the dark from me: she most certainly could, but it's my feeling (purely my feeling), that while she's working with Craig, on a completely separate project than Bond, she's not looking at all at the series for these next few months. It doesn't seem to be the way she operates.

I'd be surprised if the previous plays she worked on hadn't overlapped with Bond though. Chariots of Fire and Skyfall were even both premiered in the same year.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It’s just a gut feeling on my part that, without the sale finalized , coupled with working with Craig on stage (and finishing post on her other film project), I can’t see Barbara interviewing writers and moving B26 along too far.

I’m also guessing that if Amazon will be ponying up the finances, they would want, and they indeed will, have a say on the future of the series, the story, the casting of the new actor….

So the time line I threaded was putting together everything I know (and don’t know), at the moment (the sale needs to be finalized, casting won’t start without a script, yet writers have not been hired at this moment (meaning no script/story is in place); added on top of that there is the Broadway play and post on her film project (and there was the No Time To Die roll out), so my guess was that the earliest Broccoli and company would get to talking with the writers would be the autumn (providing that the sale has been closed).

Like I said, I could be way off the mark. But we will see how this plays out.
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    Tom Ellis from Lucifer right now would be my choice. He fits the mold of the literary Bond, and in Lucifer he certainly displays that Bond-ish swagger.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 9,730
    as I said there will still be plenty for Bond fans over the next few years

Anthony Horowitz new Novel
    Kim's 00 books
    Project 007
    Goldeneye 007
    And
    reprints of the Fleming books next year (I am guessing this one but i could be wrong)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Would it actually suit EON's plans to have an interregnum - let the Craig era settle, gain some distance so that the new guy doesn't face any immediate comparisons, let the anticipation build and come back when there's a thirst for more, etc? Or is the Amazon deal likely to see business interests worry about losing momentum and start pushing for more immediate returns?
  • KenAustinKenAustin United States
    Venutius wrote: »
    Would it actually suit EON's plans to have an interregnum - let the Craig era settle, gain some distance so that there's no immediate comparisons, let the anticipation build and come back when there's a thirst for more, etc? Or is the Amazon deal likely to see business interests worry about losing momentum and start pushing for more immediate returns?

In my opinion the best thing the franchise can do is keep and even pace with the next film released ever 2 to 3 years...hopefully approved writers are at work right now as we speak
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well it’s not like they’ll have the next film made this year; there will be a gap no matter what.
  • Jimjambond wrote: »
    So Daniel Craig despite no longer being Bond is still holding up proceedings to get things moving sooner with the next Bond installment. (1)

We waited 6 years for NTTD (a highly disappointing film) (2)and now we're looking at potentially a 4 year wait for Bond 26 since NTTD? I wish Barbara would priorotise her focus and efforts on Bond. (3) I see no reason why script treatments can't start as early as this year.

1. Daniel Craig isn't electing to hold up the proceedings to spite you or something; everyone involved is currently caught up in other projects that are equally worth their time.

2. "A highly disappointing film" to you maybe, but clearly not to a great many.

3. You may wish that, but the world does not revolve around your opinions or what you want. You come across as quite self-centered and spoiled with a post like this.

Everyone has lives, and several projects on the go, especially successful business people like Broccoli and MGW. They're not just going to drop everything to make a Bond film for you.

You really wasted your time with this post. How I feel and what think is my own business. I don't need you to point out the obvious, especially your corny point #2. Do I care if the whole world loved NTTD? No. I found it disappointing and that's what matters to me. Next time you feel like coming off as sanctimonious, remember no one gives a shit.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 12,837
    I don’t mind waiting three or four years for the new films anymore to be honest. I’m used to it now, and I don’t think they’d be able to compete with Marvel and co if they went back to hiring directors like Roger Spottiswoode and churning out Bond on a mission every two years. I’d be happy, but we’ve got “summer blockbusters” all year round now. The release schedule has never been more crowded, and Bond’s formula has never been less trendy. MI and Fast and Furious are the only other big budget traditional action films I can think of that are still regularly releasing in cinemas. The newer ones like John Wick tend to be really low budget, and you’re generally way more likely to see a costumed superhero on a blockbuster poster now than a man with a gun. But Bond has stayed relevant and successful in the face of all of that, and I think that’s probably because it still feels like an event. And while it’s easy for us to shout “hurry up” from the sidelines, surely they’d go back to a more regular release schedule if they thought it’d actually be a success? They’re a business at the end of the day, they must have loads of people on the payroll analysing this sort of stuff and figuring out how they can make as much money as possible. I think a new film every three or four years is probably all general audiences have the appetite for.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @thelivingroyale ... What an astute post. You have a very level head my friend.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    My only disappointment with the waiting is that I'm getting older and selfishly it means less Bond that I get to see before I shuffle off this mortal coil. I'm sure we can all relate to that.

However, I have other things to do and enjoy. Life is full of joy if you look for it :).

Thanks @peter you have said what I largely suspected. While there's no deal finalised with Amazon there's no money in the coffers for much of anything. This is why I was asking some pages back about it because it all hinges on that going through first. It makes perfect sense to me.
    I don’t mind waiting three or four years for the new films anymore to be honest. I’m used to it now, and I don’t think they’d be able to compete with Marvel and co if they went back to hiring directors like Roger Spottiswoode and churning out Bond on a mission every two years. I’d be happy, but we’ve got “summer blockbusters” all year round now. The release schedule has never been more crowded, and Bond’s formula has never been less trendy. MI and Fast and Furious are the only other big budget traditional action films I can think of that are still regularly releasing in cinemas. The newer ones like John Wick tend to be really low budget, and you’re generally way more likely to see a costumed superhero on a blockbuster poster now than a man with a gun. But Bond has stayed relevant and successful in the face of all of that, and I think that’s probably because it still feels like an event. And while it’s easy for us to shout “hurry up” from the sidelines, surely they’d go back to a more regular release schedule if they thought it’d actually be a success? They’re a business at the end of the day, they must have loads of people on the payroll analysing this sort of stuff and figuring out how they can make as much money as possible. I think a new film every three or four years is probably all general audiences have the appetite for.

The long wait between Bond films, to me, make their release so much more of a special event, IMO. I can certainly understand @00Heaven's perspective too, though.

It doesn't really seem to me like M:I films come out any faster than Bond films? Perhaps they do, I'm sure you've got the date information to back it up, but they feel like special events too.

@00Heaven, perhaps the continued release of continuation novels, with one coming this spring, is something to keep us going until the next film?
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home

The long wait between Bond films, to me, make their release so much more of a special event, IMO. I can certainly understand @00Heaven's perspective too, though.

It doesn't really seem to me like M:I films come out any faster than Bond films? Perhaps they do, I'm sure you've got the date information to back it up, but they feel like special events too.

@00Heaven, perhaps the continued release of continuation novels, with one coming this spring, is something to keep us going until the next film?

Just to clarify I'm not that down about it! It's just a very selfish point of view that I hold :).

The MI films are slightly faster. Rogue Nation in 2015, Fallout in 2018 and 7 this September coming. Roughly about 3 to Bond's 2. I think 7 would have been out faster if it wasn't for the pandemic too. 8 is slated for 2023 as well. By the way, I watched Fallout for the first time over Christmas and absolutely loved it but my feelings were the same over Rogue Nation. That's a different topic anyway!

I've preordered the book and looking forward to it very much so. The comics tide me over as well.

By the way, what happened to your avatar? I was thinking about that game today and how much I loved it as a kid.
    00Heaven wrote: »

Just to clarify I'm not that down about it! It's just a very selfish point of view that I hold :).

The MI films are slightly faster. Rogue Nation in 2015, Fallout in 2018 and 7 this September coming. Roughly about 3 to Bond's 2. I think 7 would have been out faster if it wasn't for the pandemic too. 8 is slated for 2023 as well. By the way, I watched Fallout for the first time over Christmas and absolutely loved it but my feelings were the same over Rogue Nation. That's a different topic anyway!

I've preordered the book and looking forward to it very much so. The comics tide me over as well.

By the way, what happened to your avatar? I was thinking about that game today and how much I loved it as a kid.

Fair enough! Makes sense, the M:I are in fact faster to release. I really enjoyed Fallout and Rogue Nation. Ghost Protocol too, all fun to watch.

I've got the book preordered too; I've sort of given up on the comics, stopped when they made that one with Oddjob (no specific reason, the Oddjob thing was kind of cool, but none of them really grabbed me after Vargr and Eidolon). Jason Masters' visual interpretation of Bond, though, is near-perfect IMO.

I went through a phase recently where I was trying disconnect from the forums a bit lol, getting rid of the avatar felt like a tangible way to do that for some reason... I'm back of course, as always, so it'll be back in some form or another.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »
    @thelivingroyale ... What an astute post. You have a very level head my friend.

Yes indeed, royale and yourself are two of the more sensible posters on this place :)