'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3694486/rob-zombies-munsters-first-look-igor-loyal-servant-beloved-family/

I love the thought of Sylvester working with Rob Zombie. Though I only know Zombie from his foul mouthed, violent, and all round trashy take on Halloween.

Now I want to see an parallel world where Zombie directed one of Sylvesters stories. The Doctor would be using the Hand of Omega in every direction. :))

An ex girlfriend was a big fan of Rob Zombie's films so I watched most of them, he sure would have made an interesting director for a DW story, and to be fair to Zombie he does well on a low budget.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2021 Posts: 23,102
    Flux Episode 6 (Finale) how did this get green lit, an absolute mess worst writing plotting I have ever seen with zero resolution. It has to be seen to believed how bad this was, I am actually shocked at how amateurish this was.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 13,882
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3694486/rob-zombies-munsters-first-look-igor-loyal-servant-beloved-family/

I love the thought of Sylvester working with Rob Zombie. Though I only know Zombie from his foul mouthed, violent, and all round trashy take on Halloween.

Now I want to see an parallel world where Zombie directed one of Sylvesters stories. The Doctor would be using the Hand of Omega in every direction. :))

An ex girlfriend was a big fan of Rob Zombie's films so I watched most of them, he sure would have made an interesting director for a DW story, and to be fair to Zombie he does well on a low budget.

In that case, given what series 26 had to work with, Zombie would have been in his element.

Talking of series 26, yesterday marked another anniversary, as it is 32 years since the 3rd episode of Survival was shown on Tv.

If that’s Flux finished, then there are only 3 episodes left with Jodie?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Flux Episode 6 (Finale) how did this get green lit, an absolute mess worst writing plotting I have ever seen with zero resolution. It has to be seen to believed how bad this was, I am actually shocked at how amateurish this was.

It was very poor. Lots of plot but no actual story. I didn't care about anyone or anything happening in it. Just a few more episodes to go until a decent writer is back making it.
    mtm wrote: »

It was very poor. Lots of plot but no actual story. I didn't care about anyone or anything happening in it. Just a few more episodes to go until a decent writer is back making it.

It may have suffered due to having to go from 8 to 6 episodes there is zero build up and many things that happened were nonsensical, as Chibnall really did over stuff this series, a few characters could have been removed and would not have been missed.

Two of the episodes were decent though it all fell apart in the last two episodes.

A big issue I have with some of the recent DW is the powers that appears out of thin air for characters.

In that case, given what series 26 had to work with, Zombie would have been in his element.

Talking of series 26, yesterday marked another anniversary, as it is 32 years since the 3rd episode of Survival was shown on Tv.

If that’s Flux finished, then there are only 3 episodes left with Jodie?

I think so its 2 or 3 though I would not be surprised if Jodie returned for the 60th in some way. I am not Jodie's biggest fan though Chibnall has done her no favours with his writing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It may have suffered due to having to go from 8 to 6 episodes there is zero build up and many things that happened were nonsensical, as Chibnall really did over stuff this series, a few characters could have been removed and would not have been missed.

I can't give him the benefit of the doubt on that, I'm afraid. The penultimate episode was pure filler: nothing moved the plot along at all. Remember that bit with the guru on top of a mountain and then the team going to China to paint a big message on the Great Wall? Went absolutely nowhere, complete waste of time. He's just a terrible, undisciplined writer, chucking stuff in for no reason. Where did those doorways in the tunnels under Liverpool come from? Did the plot actually need them? The evil God Time who got released... just stayed released? The Doctor didn't even fix that? Just a mess.

One thing I will say is that the serialised form of the series did work, I wouldn't mind seeing more like that.

---

I can't give him the benefit of the doubt on that, I'm afraid. The penultimate episode was pure filler: nothing moved the plot along at all. Remember that bit with the guru on top of a mountain and then the team going to China to paint a big message on the Great Wall? Went absolutely nowhere, complete waste of time. He's just a terrible, undisciplined writer, chucking stuff in for no reason. Where did those doorways in the tunnels under Liverpool come from? Did the plot actually need them? The evil God Time who got released... just stayed released? The Doctor didn't even fix that? Just a mess.

One thing I will say is that the serialised form of the series did work, I wouldn't mind seeing more like that.

I definately prefer the more serialised format, if anything even when the quality is not the best I can become invested in the story.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 13,882
    Working my way through the Colin Baker years, I come to...

793.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413

Timelash, once regarded as the worst Doctor Who story of all time, in a pre-Chibnall poll. Does it deserve such hate, though? It looks tacky, and the opening scene in the Tardis has the bickering that the Doctor and Peri had already moved passed. That said, I quite like the Borad, and all the stuff regarding Herbert, not to mention Paul Darrow taking ham acting to an all new high.

"Save your breath for the Timelash, Doctor, most people depart with a *scream*."

A lovely slab of delicious ham, right there.

:))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Paul Darrow’s always great, and he knows exactly what he’s doing, but it is rubbish :)
    Paul Darrow’s always great, and he knows exactly what he’s doing, but it is rubbish :)

I certainly wouldn't place it along with The Two Doctors, Vengeance On Varos & The Mark Of The Rani.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    When you say you wouldn't place with them, do you mean it's better or worse than them? They're all bad. Well, Rani is maybe slightly better, but I still can't imagine ever watching it again.
    When you say you wouldn't place with them, do you mean it's better or worse than them? They're all bad. Well, Rani is maybe slightly better, but I still can't imagine ever watching it again.

I think those 3 are better than Timelash. I don't rank Colin too highly, but those three are his best stories. The rest go from meh to awful.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Revelation is the only story of his I really rate.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I think those 3 are better than Timelash. I don't rank Colin too highly, but those three are his best stories. The rest go from meh to awful.

Okay, I think they’re all stinkers too, especially Two Doctors. It’s endless and all over the place.
    Revelation is the only story of his I really rate.

That story is unwatchable for me, due to Alexi Sayle. I am not a fan of the alternative comedy of the 80s. Maybe you had to be of age at the time to appreciate it, because I think it has aged badly. It’s all just anarchic..... shouting.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He’s not really doing that in Revelation though.
    Eve of the Daleks is on later. I’d sort of forgotten, I can’t really get excited about Dr Who until RTD comes back.
    Toby Hadoke's annual tribute for those we have lost in the Whovian world :

Not seen the episode yet, but :

About time they came back, if you want my opinion.
    Eve of the Daleks same old same old, De Ja Vue indeed and ironic. I must admit I chuckled a few times at the frankly weird script it was bemusing.

Typically Chibnall played his ace card a count down clock, he seems obsessed with countdowns as a lazy way to create tension.

Dan looks utterly bored, I can relate as I kept zoning out and had to rewind a few scenes.

Glad this era is almost over.
    Under different circumstances, I would be excited at the prospect of the return of The Sea Devils. As it stands, not interested.
    An enjoyable new years tale with the Daleks, good clean fun and Doctor who should be fun.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must admit, I thought that was pretty decent actually. It was too long, but all the guest characters were good and well-played, and the gags all worked (apart from the stalker stuff).
    I have not watched this show since Capaldi was replaced.
    It sounds like the classic releases are going to be exterminated after the release of The Abominable Snowmen.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-animated-episodes-cancelled-newsupdate/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2022 Posts: 14,861
    The animated ones, not the classic releases in general. And they may continue if they get another partner.
    Hopefully someone will step in save the line, we are so close to having the Troughton era complete, in one way or another. Currently at 17/21.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Hopefully, but if they don't it's still great to have the ones they've made so far.
    Naturally. They could have canned the line before now. I am grateful that have had this many.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 5,772
    This year, we can expect the 22nd season of the classic series in our stores :

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-the-collection-season-22-limited-edition-packaging/

22l-1.jpg

Is it me, or has Nicola Bryant still got it ?

EDIT : Oh, and Target Books will release five novelisations in july : The Stones of Blood, The Androids of Tara, The Fires of Pompeii, The Zygon Invasion, and The Eaters of Light.

https://thedoctorwhocompanion.com/2022/01/20/five-new-doctor-who-target-novelisations-to-be-released-in-july-2022/
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 5,772
    The date (if not the time) is set : "Legend of the Sea Devils will be aired on sunday, april 17th, 2022 (so in short, on Easter sunday).

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-easter-sea-devils-airdate-newsupdate/

Legend-of-the-Sea-Devils-50cf099.jpg?quality=90&webp=true&fit=800,533

Doctor-Yaz-Legend-of-the-Sea-Devils-d7715e4.jpg?quality=90&webp=true&fit=620,413

Ying-Ki-Doctor-Who-eed5544-e1648551869164.jpg?quality=90&webp=true&fit=620,413

Gi-Hun-Doctor-Who-5ff13af.jpg?quality=90&webp=true&fit=975,641

Legend-of-the-Sea-Devils-Madame-Ching-Crystal-Yu-1200x800.jpg

Legend-of-the-Sea-Devils-1.jpg