NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Members' Reviews and Discussions (SPOILERS)

Comments

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Just watched NTTD with my parents, and it was interesting to see their reaction. My mum cried at the ending, but then her overall assessment afterwards was that it didn't feel like a Bond film. My step dad (who loves Bond and action films in general) was underwhelmed by it, saying it felt a bit of a drag, and that the series really needs a new actor and a kick start again, basically not happy with the direction NTTD took.

My own feelings watching it for the 4th time? Still some very jarring scenes (Blofeld confrontation in particular), I really enjoyed the Norway chase Range Rover scenes this time round, thought Nomi was even more of a shoe-horned pointless character, felt a lot more emotional at the end with Bond's death (almost dare I say it, tears), but once the credits rolled I still didn't have that exhilarated, feel-good feeling I normally get from watching a decent Bond film. I still came away slightly annoyed by it all, and being annoyed after a Bond film is not a usual feeling to have (except after watching DAD).

There is no way I am putting NTTD in the same league as DAD, as it is infinitely better, but I can still not rate this film very highly. It's probably better than SP, but not as good as CR, QOS or SF. It fares better than many of the Moore flicks, and beats all the Brozza outings (obviously). It probably sits somewhere in the middle of the pack now for me, edging nearer the bottom rather than the top.

All I can hope for is a back-to-basics approach for the next one.

Sounds to me like you are warming up to NTTD, @jetsetwilly. A few weeks ago, you seemed to harbour much more animosity towards the film, no?

Thought the same thing. Give it a year and he's a fan ;)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    jobo wrote: »
    Just watched NTTD with my parents, and it was interesting to see their reaction. My mum cried at the ending, but then her overall assessment afterwards was that it didn't feel like a Bond film. My step dad (who loves Bond and action films in general) was underwhelmed by it, saying it felt a bit of a drag, and that the series really needs a new actor and a kick start again, basically not happy with the direction NTTD took.

My own feelings watching it for the 4th time? Still some very jarring scenes (Blofeld confrontation in particular), I really enjoyed the Norway chase Range Rover scenes this time round, thought Nomi was even more of a shoe-horned pointless character, felt a lot more emotional at the end with Bond's death (almost dare I say it, tears), but once the credits rolled I still didn't have that exhilarated, feel-good feeling I normally get from watching a decent Bond film. I still came away slightly annoyed by it all, and being annoyed after a Bond film is not a usual feeling to have (except after watching DAD).

There is no way I am putting NTTD in the same league as DAD, as it is infinitely better, but I can still not rate this film very highly. It's probably better than SP, but not as good as CR, QOS or SF. It fares better than many of the Moore flicks, and beats all the Brozza outings (obviously). It probably sits somewhere in the middle of the pack now for me, edging nearer the bottom rather than the top.

Sounds to me like you are warming up to NTTD, @jetsetwilly. A few weeks ago, you seemed to harbour much more animosity towards the film, no?

Thought the same thing. Give it a year and he's a fan ;)
    To happy new future for @jetsetwilly!

51707598624_3c55780493_w.jpg
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 3,273

I don't hate it as much as I did, but it will never break into my top 10 either. I had such high hopes for this one too, and after such a long wait it still makes it all the more disappointing.

I can appreciate the film now more for what it was trying to achieve, but the direction they were going in doesn't tally with my perfect idea of a James Bond film, unfortunately.

Those type of ideal films I am referring to belong firmly in the style of LTK or CR (which NTTD sadly isn't).
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    My Dad loved it. He saw it two times (alone) and as far as I know it’s something he never did before.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My son returned home from uni last night, and, after pouring us a couple of martinis in ice-cold goblets, we watched NTTD.

My boy grew up loving Bond, but in 2015, his passion for the series was derailed by Spectre. He despised, and still does, that film.

He was actually very hesitant to watch NTTD, and decided he would wait to watch it with me.

Last night was his first viewing, and my tenth (!).

We were joined by my youngest daughter, and this was her third time seeing the film...

Brando, my son, was blown away by the film. He couldn't believe it was almost three hours, loved the look, adored Craig and gave it a very solid 8.5/10.

The film remains to me, a wonderful little masterpiece with a giant set of balls.

My youngest (who is 17) truly gets swept away by the look and the romanticism of James Bond fighting to save his family.

In my household, NTTD has been a massive hit with my wife (not a Bond fan but has seen this film twice and is left in a puddle of tears (almost as large my own puddle)), my 20 year old son, my 18 year old daughter (who has seen it twice with me previously), and as mentioned, my youngest.

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    That's great @peter .
    So far, all my friends liked it but not my wife
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @goldenswissroyale we have also heard great reviews from my father-in-law who wrote us immediately after seeing it ; he called it the best in the series.

Our friends have all liked it as well.

If I may ask, golden, why didn't your wife like the film?
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    @peter
    She thought it was too serious.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @goldenswissroyale ah, fair point.
    Glad to hear that Pete!
    peter wrote: »

If I may ask, golden, why didn't your wife like the film?
    You are asking that as though it's such a rare, strange thing. Did you really need to ask.... ;)

• peterpeter Toronto
    @jetsetwilly , so long as people aren’t hyperbolic and unnecessarily vicious of others opinions, I really do enjoy reading and/or listening to negative reviews for NTTD. It’s actually eye opening and interesting to me (I obviously don’t have a lot of hobbies, 😂).
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    I have seen most of the viscousness coming from the other side. But most of that seems to have died down from both ends.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I dunno. I observed a very vocal minority on both sides @Birdleson … it seems they’d react to a person on the “other side” and then what followed was a barrage from the same people, many times over. Which was also entertaining. I mean, I just don’t know how anyone can be right or wrong when it comes to a film (or a painting or a play, etc).

Just today on another thread someone called NTTD dumb as rocks, or something like that. A comment like that insinuates that those that did like the film are also dumb as rocks. I’m in the camp of really loving the film, so I guess I’m happy in my blissful ignorance, but I can see how this statement could trigger others.
    I dunno. I observed a very vocal minority on both sides @Birdleson … it seems they’d react to a person on the “other side” and then what followed was a barrage from the same people, many times over. Which was also entertaining. I mean, I just don’t know how anyone can be right or wrong when it comes to a film (or a painting or a play, etc).

Just today on another thread someone called NTTD dumb as rocks, or something like that. A comment like that insinuates that those that did like the film are also dumb as rocks. I’m in the camp of really loving the film, so I guess I’m happy in my blissful ignorance, but I can see how this statement could trigger others.

Thanks for bringing up a fine example proving how wrong Birdleson feels about this.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    all I know is, I'll be at local Target at 8:00am Tues for the DVD. Then it goes under the tree to watch on Christmas night.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    My package was delivered this afternoon at home. Won’t be able to give it a spin until way later tonight.
    @jetsetwilly , so long as people aren’t hyperbolic and unnecessarily vicious of others opinions, I really do enjoy reading and/or listening to negative reviews for NTTD. It’s actually eye opening and interesting to me (I obviously don’t have a lot of hobbies, 😂).

At least we all have one hobby in common on here, whether we all agree on a particular Bond film or not. <:-P
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I've watched it enough for awhile. Some scenes still hit me. I find myself mainly looking forward to Valdo, no fooling. He cracks me up.

Valdo really got on my nerves on my first viewing of NTTD. But second time round I thought he was actually ok. I’ve almost warmed to him now.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I've watched it enough for awhile. Some scenes still hit me. I find myself mainly looking forward to Valdo, no fooling. He cracks me up.

Valdo really got on my nerves on my first viewing of NTTD. But second time round I thought he was actually ok. I’ve almost warmed to him now.

I don't know whether I love or hate Valdo. He is both funny and annoying. At the very least he is better than Boris.
    I think they missed a strong beat when they made Nomi kill Waldo.

He should have killed her first, then Bond finds him and kills him.
    Stamper wrote: »

What’s the point of that?
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 214

Valdo was a pussy.
  • Stamper wrote: »

It would have made him a more dangerous character. A dangerous goofball that shouldn’t be underestimated. As it is he’s just a buffoon bumbling around.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

It would have made him a more dangerous character. A dangerous goofball that shouldn’t be underestimated. As it is he’s just a buffoon bumbling around.

Completely unneeded.

As it is he’s just a buffoon bumbling around.

Yes, that was the point.

Besides, it was fun to watch him die horribly.

As it is he’s just a buffoon bumbling around.

Yes, that was the point.

Besides, it was fun to watch him die horribly.

Yep, he had a specific role to play in the story and it was executed very well.
  • GBFGBF
    I have watched NTTD three times now and I am still don't really feel ready to already write a whole comment on it. There are just so very many things that need to be discussed and it is really difficult for me to begin with one particular issue.

One thing I'd really like to discuss is Safin's motivation concerning Madeleine. Until now I have not really got it. What is the purpose of kidnapping her and her daughter? Am I the only one who finds that this happens out of nowhere. I am aware of their backstory and I quite like Safin's reveal in her consultation hour but still I find it completely out of place that he together with a whole army of henchmen go after her. Even Bond seems really surprised that Logan Ash is somewhere nearby. I partly understood Spectre's motivation to get rid of Mr. White's daughter but Safin actually has no real purpose to do her harm.

I know that kidnapping the Bond girls happens quite a lot in the franchise but mostly it happens out of certain circumstances, e.g. in OHMSS, TSWLM or OP it rather happens incidantly while the villain follows his actual plan.

So if anybody can help me on this, I am very thankful :-)
    Well, Safin was in love/obsessed with Madeleine; he wanted her and Mathilde to be his 'family' on the island.

"Similarly to when you take a life, when you save a life, it connects you to that person; they belong to you" etc. Paraphrasing big time there.
    It’s also pretty clear that Safin is interested in Swann alone. He sees Mathilde more as a tool to threaten her or even leverage.