NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,895
    Didn't someone confirm that the portrait of Bernard Lee as M was in some of the shots, just not the ones that made it to the final cut? If so, surely it'll be in the frame that you can partially see on the right of the screen, opposite the Robert Brown portrait? Agree with jobo, though - it does seem odd that the shots with Brown made it and the ones with Lee didn't.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    There was the Superbowl Trailer reveal of Dench M's portrait with mention of Bernard Lee at the time. Robert Brown was the eventual reveal on screen, a welcome one. DigitalSpy reported all three.

Regarding the focus, well it likely came down to practical choices for the footage shot. And also since Bernard Lee was showcased that way in TWINE, simpler can be better to not distract from other content.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a37801989/no-time-to-die-james-bond-easter-eggs-references/

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a30747411/james-bond-no-time-to-die-super-bowl-trailer-easter-eggs/
    screen-shot-2020-02-03-at-09-46-59-1580723812.jpg?resize=768:*
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,609
    There has been a formatting mistake, I think. I just want to say that this quoted post was not written by me but by someone else:
    Seve wrote: »
    marc wrote: »
    Craig being the same character as his predecessors makes no sense. His run has been established as a different continuity since 2006. I don’t get why some are in denial of that.
    Btw, I'm very surprised that some think there have been different Bond characters. Nothing wrong with that if someone thinks so, but this thought would probably have never occurred to me.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    My bad, corrected now (hopefully)
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I think it’s simply that he was already covered with TWINE, so why dilute the impact of these two.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Someone bought me B25 on blu ray for Christmas, I've still only seen it once in the cinema, I'll post some second viewing thoughts soon...
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Really dawned on me tonight how sad I am in a way we'll never see another new Daniel Craig James Bond film. He was the Bond I grew up on and the Bond we had for the longest amount of time, so it feels especially sentimental to me and just strange and empty in a way. This is actually going to be the first actor transition I'll have gone through as a fan. I definitely think it was time for a change, as I said long before NTTD actually dropped, but still, it is tough knowing Craig is done. He was so good.

Agree 100%.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,483
    Really dawned on me tonight how sad I am in a way we'll never see another new Daniel Craig James Bond film. He was the Bond I grew up on and the Bond we had for the longest amount of time, so it feels especially sentimental to me and just strange and empty in a way. This is actually going to be the first actor transition I'll have gone through as a fan. I definitely think it was time for a change, as I said long before NTTD actually dropped, but still, it is tough knowing Craig is done. He was so good.

Agree 100%.

Yep, Craig is my favourite Bond. I was only young when he was cast, but I remember the constant speculation before he was announced

I have no doubt the next guy cast will be great, but it's sad knowing NTTD is a real ending
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Agree 100%.

Yep, Craig is my favourite Bond. I was only young when he was cast, but I remember the constant speculation before he was announced

I have no doubt the next guy cast will be great, but it's sad knowing NTTD is a real ending

You never know, maybe he's still got a DAF in him... or (dread the thought), a NSNA?
    Feyador wrote: »

No Time to Cry???

No Crime to Try
    No, the title will be "Jimbo Junior - The diapher of death".

:)

After all, 'Another child?' isn't really tied up yet.

No Crime To Tie

James Bond has trouble fitting his Christmas shopping into his busy schedule of World saving...

"No Time To Buy"
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 13,882

No Time to Cry???

No Crime to Try

No Crime To Tie

James Bond has trouble fitting his Christmas shopping into his busy schedule of World saving...

"No Time To Buy"

If he has No Time To Buy, then he will have to Buy Another Day.

I’ll get my coat.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    =))

No Time to Cry???

No Crime to Try

No Crime To Tie

"No Time To Buy"

If he has No Time To Buy, then he will have to Buy Another Day.

I’ll get my coat.

lol
    Boxing Day sales here we come!
  • marcmarc Universal Exports

"No Time To Buy"

I think that after Safin's Island, he has

No Dime To Pay
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,518
    jobo wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would think that’s reading way too much into the whole situation. I’m pretty sure that it’s just a tribute, because we already had Bernard Lee’s portrait in a film, and I don’t think it was supposed to be thought about in terms of continuity and so on.

Yep. A nod to previous Bond films for Bond fans and that's it. I thought they had a Bernard Lee portrait in this film as well, but just not seen in the final film? Across from Robert Brown, perhaps?

I saw the film five times on the cinema, and I was consciously looking for a prtrait og Lee the last four times without finding it. I think it is strange to leave him out, the most classic M of them all. I don't really know what the justification was for that.

Probably that story takes precedent over fan service; it sort of looks like in that alcove M was sitting in there were several portraits of "M's" or other important figures, it stands to reason that one of the portraits was Bernard Lee, but if there was a scene where it was visible, it ended up on the cutting room floor for any of a myriad of reasons.

I can't imagine they'd sacrifice pacing or include a shot they would otherwise have discarded for a piece of fan service. It may not seem like a big deal, but as I understand it, such is the delicate art of film editing.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Didn't someone confirm that the portrait of Bernard Lee as M was in some of the shots, just not the ones that made it to the final cut? If so, surely it'll be in the frame that you can partially see on the right of the screen, opposite the Robert Brown portrait? Agree with jobo, though - it does seem odd that the shots with Brown made it and the ones with Lee didn't.

Beat me to it!
    Does anyone ever feel ignored on here? Lol
    I’ll buy NTTD just to complete my Craig Bond series. A friend said he wanted to watch it, but hasn’t seen the other Craig Bond films, and I told him that was a bad idea. Need to watch the others first for sure. I guess you could watch it without the others, but it would leave one wondering about a lot of events and details.
    I’ll buy NTTD just to complete my Craig Bond series. A friend said he wanted to watch it, but hasn’t seen the other Craig Bond films, and I told him that was a bad idea. Need to watch the others first for sure. I guess you could watch it without the others, but it would leave one wondering about a lot of events and details.

A friend of mine had only seen CR and SF. I watched Craig's first four leading up to seeing NTTD with him and he said afterward he's glad we did it that way.

I saw the film with someone who has never seen a Craig one (and doesn't like Bond at all). She was able to follow the emotional beats of the story well enough with no prior knowledge and enjoyed the film so much she wanted to see it a second time through!

Honestly a little surprised at how well NTTD does at conveying the stuff from other films that are core to the film (Vesper, the stuff with White/Madeleine). I thought it was a bit of an impossible task going in, but they do it well enough!
    BMB007 wrote: »

I saw the film with someone who has never seen a Craig one (and doesn't like Bond at all). She was able to follow the emotional beats of the story well enough with no prior knowledge and enjoyed the film so much she wanted to see it a second time through!

Honestly a little surprised at how well NTTD does at conveying the stuff from other films that are core to the film (Vesper, the stuff with White/Madeleine). I thought it was a bit of an impossible task going in, but they do it well enough!

I still really like the idea of watching NTTD, and then Spectre.

You don't need to know much really going into NTTD to understand what's happening. And then you get to see Blofeld in action.

Also, there's something interesting about watching Bond get blown to bits, and then watch him walking around Mexico with a skeleton suit, after "the dead are alive".
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    donnydraco wrote: »
    Here's a fantastic video delving into the problematic facets to Safin. If you're pressed for time, fast-forward to the author's revisions at 20:40; they're quite brilliant, and compounds my frustrations that the NTTD writers couldn't weave the threads nearly as deftly.

Wow. Did this guy actually watch the film? He draws conclusions that are way off.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,969
    ironically Safin was one of the aspects of the movie with the most potential.
    BMB007 wrote: »

I thought they somehow situated it pretty well too. I don’t know if I ever saw so much storyline and detail packed into one film.
    Watched NTTD in stream again recentlyand I have to say the theme song has really grown on me. I initially found it to be fairly forgettable, but now I think it is a powerfull tune.
    jobo wrote: »
    Watched NTTD in stream again recentlyand I have to say the theme song has really grown on me. I initially found it to be fairly forgettable, but now I think it is a powerfull tune.

I liked it before, but I like it much more in context for sure, especially the very beginning with the train.
  • GrizzlorGrizzlor NJ, USA
    Felt it was a fine movie, and a fitting finale to Daniel Craig's long tenure.
  • The song fits into the movie well, but listening to it on the radio with no idea about the movie makes it really slow and boring.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I love that song and I like the full version on the single more than the movie edit. Mind you, I'm one of those three people that loved Writing's On The Wall and I preferred the full version of that, too!
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,247
    Craig's stylish and rugged performance in the gun fight at Safin's Island feels very heroic, epic and Bondian. Craig really threw himself into that action scene and Zimmer's Opening The Doors added to that scene as well....it's easily becoming one of my favourite Bond moments.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Craig's stylish and rugged performance in the gun fight at Safin's Island feels very heroic, epic and Bondian. Craig really threw himself into that action scene and Zimmer's Opening The Doors added to that scene as well....it's easily becoming one of my favourite Bond moments.

Yeah absolutely agree mate. One of my favourite scenes in NTTD, on the edge of my seat in every viewing. Daniel really shines as Bond when he's in action

Opening the doors is magnificent and one of my favourite moments of the NTTD score, when that Bond theme kicks in and then that change in tempo around 2 minutes is thrilling
    100% agree with you both... the moment where he comes out from the cover of the door and one-arms the AR in the longshot, so awesome. The music here is all fantastic as well, "I'll Be Right Back" and "Open The Doors"... brilliant.