James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    I think the bottom line for me is that I would much prefer to watch the movie in the theatrical aspect ratio, especially a movie by such a conscientious director as Spielberg. He’s obviously going to concern himself with what is visible onscreen in a cinema, and that must surely be the definitive director’s vision.
    Out of interest I’m watching the Amazon prime Versions of connerys films at present - the first three are incredibly detailed and well cleaned up, but the quality on YOLT seems to drop off a cliff. Not bad but certainly not for the wow factor of the others.

Anyone else noticed this
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    The detrimental effect you're experiencing is an affliction known commonly as "Watching YOLT". ;)
    Yeah it’s kind of incomprehensible as a film at times following in from those flawless first 4 isn’t it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    YOLT is basically the TRANSFORMERS of its time. Big, flashy, not a lot of brain activity. Pure spectacle that can only be enjoyed as ride rather than as a spy film with a tight plot.
    NTTD to rent on Amazon in the U.K. is only available in HD, no 4k.
    Very disappointing!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    NTTD to rent on Amazon in the U.K. is only available in HD, no 4k.
    Very disappointing!

Yea I just noticed that. Apple+ has 4k though with Dolby Atmos and vision.
    Unfortunately those techs aren’t supported on the PS5 Apple TV app. I think you need the Apple TV device for those😞.
  • Stamper wrote: »
    I highly doubt it. We're gonna get the film in 2.39:1 and that's it.

Don't see why they don't have a 2.39:1 version and a shifting aspect ratio version in the same set - just like with some films you can watch the theatrical cut or the director's cut. Shifting aspect ratios is a pain in the arse if you're projecting on to a 2.39:1 screen.
  • Unfortunately those techs aren’t supported on the PS5 Apple TV app. I think you need the Apple TV device for those😞.

Is it bad on PS5? I prefer to use it on my Series X instead of the built in app on another TV. Although my TV doesn't support Dolby Vision just standard HDR- but the Bond films are just regular 4K.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Unfortunately those techs aren’t supported on the PS5 Apple TV app. I think you need the Apple TV device for those😞.

Is it bad on PS5? I prefer to use it on my Series X instead of the built in app on another TV. Although my TV doesn't support Dolby Vision just standard HDR- but the Bond films are just regular 4K.

Sans the built-in 4K player, the PS5 is just a bad choice for movie/TV watching when it comes to quality. The Series X is way better apparently.
    It’s not great on PS5 Apple app. It is 4K and the picture looks lovely and crisp. But I watched the PTS and there is definitely something off about the motion - it isn’t lovely filmic 24fps. The bike ride up stairs etc had that digital stutter in the motion, quite distracting.
    Jeez, does the PS5 even have a 24fps option for streaming services? That was always a minus for me when I used to watch content on PS3/4, as that was only capable for blu-ray.

I considered getting a PS5 because I didn’t have a 4K disc player. But once I read that it didn’t have Dolby Vision I decided to just grab an actual 4K player instead.

What TV do you have @DraxCucumberSandwich? I would think some have Apple TV as a downloadable app at this point, and may be more reliable than the PS5.
    I have a panasonic Oled, 2020 model
    It doesn’t have an Apple TV app, but I’ve just realised that it does have a Rakuten TV app, which is carrying the movie in 4K HDR.

Has anyone got experience with Rakuten?
    And it’s true to say the PS5 is a terrible machine for streaming media apps. No Dolby Vision support, and I’m pretty sure everything is coming out at 60hz
    I’ve heard the UHD Blu-ray player isn’t fantastic either. Luckily I’ve got a dedicated machine for that.
    PS5 is great for games though…..
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Recieved my 2 disc 'collectors edition' UHD blu ray yesterday - pre ordered from Zavvi. A nice surprise 4 days early.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    And it’s true to say the PS5 is a terrible machine for streaming media apps. No Dolby Vision support, and I’m pretty sure everything is coming out at 60hz
    I’ve heard the UHD Blu-ray player isn’t fantastic either. Luckily I’ve got a dedicated machine for that.
    PS5 is great for games though…..

It's not. They still look great, don't get me wrong, but you're better off with the new Xbox or even a proper 4K player. I sold mine when I was getting my PS5, though, unaware of how poor it'd be in terms of handling pure 4K quality and streaming, but I don't notice enough of a difference to really care.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    For what it's worth - No Time To Die is currently the number one selling film on Amazon Canada.
  • Anyone have any idea why The Timothy Dalton Collection on Blu-ray appears to be unobtainium? There aren’t even any used on eBay.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/007-The-Timothy-Dalton-Collection-Blu-ray/136782/

• MichaelCMichaelC York
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4
    I've bought the complete collection on iTunes to get the pre Craig films in 4k. I've had a quick flick through and am generally very impressed with picture quality. The sound isn't as good as the blurays though.

The Skyfall sound is absolutely terrible though. No bass at all. Even the music is terrible. It's not just the sound effects etc. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed as this has been out so long.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Welcome! That's disappointing about the sound... I had vague designs of getting an iPad and making it an all-Bond-media-tablet with the films and books (searchability is a very nice feature of ebooks), part of that plan was to get that collection from iTunes, sorry to hear the sound isn't great.
  • MichaelCMichaelC York
    The French and Spanish soundtracks are OK on Skyfall so they've definitely messed up on the English soundtrack.

On the other movies it's just because I know the soundtracks so well. The fidelity of a bluray is definitely better than the sound on iTunes. I've no doubt a techkie can explain why. The sound is good, but I know the discs are better. This is listening in 5.1
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited January 2022 Posts: 1,006
    Any chance they do NOT release a complete 60th Anniversary collection in 4K/UHD? Or would that just be poor form..?

I’ve upgraded my TV and blu ray player over the past year with this release in mind…. I wonder when they might announce, if at all?
    If they don’t announce it during the summer, then I’ll be concerned.
    Any chance they do NOT release a complete 60th Anniversary collection in 4K/UHD? Or would that just be poor form..?

I’ve upgraded my TV and blu ray player over the past year with this release in mind…. I wonder when they might announce, if at all?

Of course, there's a chance they won't. Huge home video releases of this volume are getting more scarce and this is a huge number of movies. I'm not sure that there has been a 4K release of so many films in one set yet and I'd actually be a little afraid to see the price.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    BT3366 wrote: »

Of course, there's a chance they won't. Huge home video releases of this volume are getting more scarce and this is a huge number of movies. I'm not sure that there has been a 4K release of so many films in one set yet and I'd actually be a little afraid to see the price.

I know EON won't do it, but perhaps a one-off 60th Anniversary deal with Criterion?
    It’s also possible they may split them into bundles. One for each actor. Of course, Lazenby will just have OHMSS stand-alone.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »

I know EON won't do it, but perhaps a one-off 60th Anniversary deal with Criterion?

That would be a dream since they helped get the first special edition Bonds rolling back in the '90s.
    It’s also possible they may split them into bundles. One for each actor. Of course, Lazenby will just have OHMSS stand-alone.

That sounds like a much more realistic possibility.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    On second thought: unless I’m really missing something, there may not be enough time (between now and October 2022) to do a really extravagant 60th Anniversary 4K/Blu-ray Box Set. Remember that the MGM/Amazon merger hasn’t been officially approved yet.

Perhaps something more limited like a 60th Anniversary 4K release of Dr. No with additional audio commentaries?
    I just want a new basic DVD set over here XD hopefully there'll be great options for everyone within the year. A full box with the closed end eras of Connery and Craig will just feel so nice.