NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I only really care about films in the MCU about characters that I like. I had no interest in seeing Black Widow, Ten Rings, or Eternals.

Spiderman, no matter what reboot or timeline in which it takes place is something that I have to see. Same can be said about Iron Man, Captain America etc.
    I hope Spidey outperforms NTTD in the US. That will confirm it is a bad film I have no interest in watching! ;)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    No Way Home sets the best Wednesday ever at the UK boxoffice with £7.6M. Far From Home did £14.1 million in a 6 day opening from July 2-7 in 2019.

That we’ve done half of that on a mid-week Wednesday gives you an idea of how much bigger this movie is than your average Spidey…

It feels more like an Infinity War kind of event.

NTTD on its opening Wednesday did £4.8M.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    matt_u wrote: »
    NWH is designed as the ultimate Marvel crowd pleaser. It’s mostly well done fan service mixed with nostalgia. Obviously nerds on day one will lose their minds for it and the general audiences will like it a lot because it delivers a good mix of action, emotions and fun.
    On the other hand NTTD is a more mature product. NTTD is made for grownups, not kids. Comparing the two is incorrect and the amazing run NTTD had proved the fact that people liked the film and the word of mouth has been very good.
    People who disliked the film are a minority. That’s a fact. NTTD wouldn't have become the #1 Hollywood movie of 2021 if it didn't deliver.
    Having said that NWH will end up grossing something like £20M less than Bond in the UK at the end of the day, despite the better opening weekend.

Pretty much.

I'd argue all the Craig Bond films have tried to play to more mature audiences. It's weird to think of kids going to see NTTD and enjoying it, but I don't doubt there are some that did if they were already into the previous Craig films.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    No Way Home sets the best Wednesday ever at the UK boxoffice with £7.6M. Far From Home did £14.1 million in a 6 day opening from July 2-7 in 2019.

That we’ve done half of that on a mid-week Wednesday gives you an idea of how much bigger this movie is than your average Spidey…

It feels more like an Infinity War kind of event.

NTTD on its opening Wednesday did £4.8M.

It's crazy. Was just about able to get seats for a 9:15 showing that was packed out. Certain scenes got bigger cheers than Cap wielding Mjolnir.
    Well at least we can officially say that the biggest movie of the year globally won’t be a Chinese propaganda flick..!
  • Well Spidey opened on Wednesday in England and it has the biggest opening day ever...10m....putting Bond a fairly distant 2nd....

I'm seeing it tonight....
  • matt_u wrote: »
    NWH is designed as the ultimate Marvel crowd pleaser. It’s mostly well done fan service mixed with nostalgia. Obviously nerds on day one will lose their minds for it and the general audiences will like it a lot because it delivers a good mix of action, emotions and fun.
    On the other hand NTTD is a more mature product. NTTD is made for grownups, not kids. Comparing the two is incorrect and the amazing run NTTD had proved the fact that people liked the film and the word of mouth has been very good.
    People who disliked the film are a minority. That’s a fact. NTTD wouldn't have become the #1 Hollywood movie of 2021 if it didn't deliver.
    Having said that NWH will end up grossing something like £20M less than Bond in the UK at the end of the day, despite the better opening weekend.

Pretty much.

I'd argue all the Craig Bond films have tried to play to more mature audiences. It's weird to think of kids going to see NTTD and enjoying it, but I don't doubt there are some that did if they were already into the previous Craig films.

I saw lots of kids and teenagers in my screenings, but yeah, it’s definitely not a market they‘ve really been trying to appeal to, and that doesn’t seem to have helped with the US box office in particular. The longer gaps probably don’t help too, kids have short memories, and there’s so much stuff from other big franchises all year round. But at the same time, could Bond compete with that? I think part of the reason it’s lasted so long is that they’ve dialled it back and tried to turn them into big events. I’m not sure there’s the appetite for a more regular release schedule from Bond, just doesn’t have that kind of cultural capital anymore. And can you picture Bond toys next to the mountains of superhero ones you see in shops? I had a James Bond cap gun back in the day for example, but they’re probably not even allowed to sell that sort of thing anymore (could have bright orange Bond nerf guns I guess, but see what I mean, it’d be weird).

I’m not really worried though. The Craig era started sixteen years ago and the last two have been made and marketed as direct sequels. Throw in a pandemic sending us up to six years since the last one and it’s no surprise that young people aren’t as interested. But I think that’s easily amended now that they’re recasting. My money’s on them going for a POC next, and if I’m right, that’d grab loads of headlines and get loads more eyes on the brand. Might help if they go younger too. I think that’d feel fresh, and a guy in his mid-late 20s or early 30s is probably more appealing to kids than a middle aged man.

Plus despite what I’ve said about toys, there are video games. The new one is out soon, and that’s one area Bond has found real success in before. Might help gain them some new younger fans. And just doing more social media stuff would probably help. Bond doesn’t have much online presence, and that’s where kids today spend most of their time. It might have gotten harder to sell a character like Bond to kids, but I don’t think it’s impossible.
  • I shudder at the thought of Bond trying to appeal to the younger, Marvel-eating crowd. The Bonds films do well enough without having to do that.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 1,314
    There’s a lot of snobbery here around the MCU. Let’s not get our own franchise gave us Moonraker, DAD and DAF
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 40,368
    Matt007 wrote: »
    There’s a lot of snobbery here around the MCU. Let’s not get our own franchise gave us Moonraker, DAD and DAF

All three are films that I'd watch endlessly before touching most of Marvel's output, however. I'll gladly take the low points of this franchise over that stuff. It's simply not for me and that's OK.
  • Matt007 wrote: »

I enjoy some of the Marvel fare, it's just that Bond is a different beast and shouldn't have to dance to the tune of the Marvel audience to meet its box office objectives. Long story short... it's absolutely normal if Spiderman beats NTTD at the box office. Venom did that in the States and there's also no shame in that.
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    It's sad and in many ways ironic considering Bond was churning out formulaic cringe and silliness for the longest time.

On another note,

@ErikDavis
    JUST IN: As #SpiderManNoWayHome hits theaters today, @Fandango has already sold more tickets for the film than it has sold for the entire theatrical run of any 2021 release. SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME has been the top-selling title every day since tickets went on sale 3 weeks ago!

@ErikDavis
    The biggest story here that I find interesting is that #SpiderManNoWayHome sold more tickets before release than any other 2021 film sold throughout its entire run. That is huge, and it’s a great sign that the big event movie experiences are still here & not going away. Enjoy!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2021 Posts: 13,882
    I’m going to be completely honest here, my interest in Marvel, begins and ends with Scarlett Johansson. I just don’t have an interest in the characters in their roster.

Don’t get me wrong, I have an admiration for what Marvel have achieved, but that admiration is tempered by a feeling of ridiculousness at how it feels like, every other film or tv series, is Marvel.

Edit: Actually, that’s not quite true. I also saw the first Captain America, to see what all the fuss was about. So Scarlett Johansson is more like 90% of the reasons I watched Marvels films. But still...
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    It's sad and in many ways ironic considering Bond was churning out formulaic cringe and silliness for the longest time.

On another note,

@ErikDavis
    JUST IN: As #SpiderManNoWayHome hits theaters today, @Fandango has already sold more tickets for the film than it has sold for the entire theatrical run of any 2021 release. SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME has been the top-selling title every day since tickets went on sale 3 weeks ago!

@ErikDavis
    The biggest story here that I find interesting is that #SpiderManNoWayHome sold more tickets before release than any other 2021 film sold throughout its entire run. That is huge, and it’s a great sign that the big event movie experiences are still here & not going away. Enjoy!

Great perspective. It's a win for everyone.
    Spidey has a chance to open bigger globally than The Force Awakens. It’s that big.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 12,837

I enjoy some of the Marvel fare, it's just that Bond is a different beast and shouldn't have to dance to the tune of the Marvel audience to meet its box office objectives.

To be honest I think we’ve already seen the effect that Marvel and co have had on Bond, with how they’ve shifted back towards a more colourful, fantastical tone again. And that’s been very successful for them. So, I wouldn’t worry, I don’t think we’ll see them copy Marvel’s sort of humour or try to build a Bond universe or anything like that. I’m expecting the next one to be pretty similar to NTTD tonally, but with less emotional baggage.
    Don’t get me wrong, I have an admiration for what Marvel have achieved, but that admiration is tempered by a feeling of ridiculousness at how it feels like, every other film or tv series, is Marvel.

Yeah there is just an awful lot of it, and if you mix in online geeky spaces like we do, then it’s hard to avoid hearing about it because of how much of a pop cultural juggernaut it is. But then to be fair, there were probably plenty of people in the 60s who were sick of hearing about the Bond films. Trends come and go, maybe we’ll enjoy the next big thing more.
  • I'm going to give Spidey a miss at the cinema and wait for home release. Just like alot of the American market did for Bond.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    From what I have read Spider-Man delivers where no time to die failed. Leaving the audience wanting more, satisfied and happy.

Personally feel like they stretched the Bond formula for the sake of being shocking and took the fans good will for granted.

It kind of helps that the main character has superhuman abilities.
  • If Craig was climbing walls and shooting webs from his arse the naysayers will still be moaning and groaning.
  • Craig-Bond is definitely a superhero, the way he breaks through dry wall.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    Well at least we can officially say that the biggest movie of the year globally won’t be a Chinese propaganda flick..!

Ironically, if the Chinese were tasked with making a Bond movie it'd probably be something similar to NTTD, where the English hero gets demeaned, deconstructed, and destroyed.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    They’d at least watch it, something we can’t say about you.
    Personally although they can be repetitive and formulaic I think the best MCU films are up there with the best of popcorn entertainment of the last few decades.
    Antman, black panther, Thor ragnarok, Endgame and doctor strange are excellent. As is Shang chi.

And I’m really not a superhero fan at all. As for the dc universe. Wonder Woman was good. The others I haven’t made it through to the end. Depressing, dark and messy.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    slide_99 wrote: »

Ironically, if the Chinese were tasked with making a Bond movie it'd probably be something similar to NTTD, where the English hero gets demeaned, deconstructed, and destroyed.

Oh “boo hoo”, they killed your childhood hero.

Get over it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If Craig was climbing walls and shooting webs from his arse the naysayers will still be moaning and groaning.

Who would have thought that Bonds greatest enemy wasn't Spectre, and it wasn't a cluster of missiles.... no, it was someone using a shower head to flush him down a plug hole.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Well given the insane numbers Spidey is pulling off it will certainly outgross NTTD before December 31...

It's gonna be scary close to Infinity War's numbers by Sunday.
  • Jeeeeez

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ $50M Preview Easily Pandemic Record, All-Time For Sony; Beats ‘Last Jedi’ & ‘Infinity War’; $100M Friday Likely

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Saw NWH last night, really enjoyed it. Of course, the theatre was packed.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2021 Posts: 12,459
    I have never been interested in this particular story. If it is so acclaimed, I will get around to seeing it.