NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Glad to see people appreciating DAF for what it was meant to be rather than slagging it off simply for not being the OHMSS sequel they wanted.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Yes. It is possible to be frustrated about the one decision and still be appreciative of the product we got.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Yes. It is possible to be frustrated about the one decision and still be appreciative of the product we got.

A sly comment on NTTD; well played.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,548
    Bond was not meant to be a very nice guy. Fleming and Connery have both repeatedly stated that in interviews.

And yet Bond still showed considerable concern for Plenty when she was thrown out the hotel room window.

Bond isn't a nice guy because he can't be. But in the few instances in which he becomes entangled with the general public (those who are not marks or assets) we see a different side of him. Patricia Fearing (and the boy on the boat in TMWTGG) is the only instance in which he truly mistreats someone outside his arena (or at least that I can think of). This is where I beg to differ with those who think of the character as a misogynist. He really isn't. Aside from Plenty, Bond is thoroughly agitated by the deaths of Tilly Masterson and Solange, two women who did not deserve to be entangled in the spy game, and he knows it.

Furthermore, we see a rather polite and respectful man when it comes to those in the service industry: servers, drivers, hotel staff, ticket agents.

edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Yes, in truth I’ve thought that Fleming’s words were rather hollow, when literary Bond gives into his kindness and humanity with such regularity, generally to his detriment.
    That’s what makes Bond ironic. He can be the coldest and most cruel you’ll ever meet, but he will never forgets to his manners.

• edited December 2021 Posts: 7,500
    Glad to see people appreciating DAF for what it was meant to be rather than slagging it off simply for not being the OHMSS sequel they wanted.

Oh, I don't care about it's relation (or non relation) to OHMSS at all. I still think it's utter crap! ;)

If you want to make a comedy spoof Bond, with no interesting story, set pieces or locations, at least make it funny...
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I think most of us would agree that Bond‘s relationship to other people and especially women is much more complicated and interesting than it is generally portrayed. Both in the books and the films.
    The way he can fall in love and have deep feelings for someone at the drop of a hat but then turn it off again equally as quickly (while still being impacted and hurt by things) is fascinating to me. It is very different to myself, but something I absolutely recognise in other men.
    The other part I always come back to is how he actually takes the people he meets at face value. He absolutely has his stereotypes, but he is always willing to recognise someone as an ally if they prove themselves even if he may have started out thinking little off them and he doesn’t shy away from antagonising people of „his tribe“ if they turn out to be villainous.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Anyone else received NTTD on disc? My 4k blu ray has just plonked through the letterbox four days early! Lovely stuff. Pre ordered from Zavvi.
    jobo wrote: »

Oh, I don't care about it's relation (or non relation) to OHMSS at all. I still think it's utter crap! ;)

If you want to make a comedy spoof Bond, with no interesting story, set pieces or locations, at least make it funny...

Well, I think it's funny. SO THERE!

:P
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Alimentary, Dr. Leiter.
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Well, well, well! Felix Leiter, you old fraud. : )
    chrisisall wrote: »

Alimentary, Dr. Leiter.

There are a couple of funny lines, but not really that many. I can count the times I laugh on one find, the times I cringe on six hands. That's not good enough for a film that fails on every other level.
    marc wrote: »
    Well, well, well! Felix Leiter, you old fraud. : )

"Do you mind if we find Blofeld first?!"

Felix_Leiter_%28Norman_Burton%29_-_Profile.png
    DAF is a masterpiece. Let it go!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    When Nomi asks Bond if he wants a ride on her scooter, why does he say 'Yeah, why not?' in an American accent?
  • You gotta be kiddin' me. .
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I speak English. Who is your floor?

When Wint and Kidd kill Dr Tynan with the scorpion, they first did it, with Kidd stuffing it into the mouth, but Guy Hamilton thought this to be too graphic, so they went for Wint dropping the scorpion down his collar.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    My NTTD dvd arrived yesterday, an, of course, I watched it last night, fpourth viewing. And I still like it a lot. I also never had a problem with the ending, because I think, it was well execute. Just again I was taken in by the beautful cinematography, Linus Sandgren did a stellar job, up there with Roger Deakins' work on SF. And running for 163 minutes (157 on DVD) , it was not boring or dragging. And it is well-directed. If Fukunaga comes back, I would support it, and if fo, it were great if he get Sandgren back.

I dunno, man, I remember everyone clamouring for Mendes to come back after SF and look what happened... ;)
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    A friend of mine has got one of the making of NTTD books (no clue which one, it goes over the production and dates of the film) he said they filmed James Bond's death on October 5 2019

I'm not sure how I feel about that, it seems a bit wrong to kill a version of the character, on James Bond day. Does anyone have any information on this?
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Venutius wrote: »
    I dunno, man, I remember everyone clamouring for Mendes to come back after SF and look what happened... ;)

There were actually quite a bit of us worried about him coming back. I had a pretty healthy thread about that which is no longer in existence, which I started immediately after his return was announced.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 2,895
    Yes, like you, I thought someone else should've had a go. Mendes himself seemed to be reluctant for a long time, so it didn't bode well. I know he sort of geed himself up for it after awhile, but I do get the impression that any enthusiasm he'd conjured up wasn't enough to see him through to the end of SP. Shame.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    A friend of mine has got one of the making of NTTD books (no clue which one, it goes over the production and dates of the film) he said they filmed James Bond's death on October 5 2019

I'm not sure how I feel about that, it seems a bit wrong to kill a version of the character, on James Bond day. Does anyone have any information on this?

Yeah I can confirm that.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 1,261
    *double post*
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    matt_u wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Yeah I can confirm that.

Thanks mate, I haven't got the book myself so I wasn't sure
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Venutius wrote: »

There were actually quite a bit of us worried about him coming back. I had a pretty healthy thread about that which is no longer in existence, which I started immediately after his return was announced.

SP would have been even worse in lesser hands, I hate to say.
    I would hope it would have been an entirely diffrerent film.
    SP took the era in a direction I really didn’t want it to go in. NTTD did more positive things with that direction than I could have hoped for, even if these past two films aren’t how I wanted Craig’s era to progress / finish.
    My NTTD dvd arrived yesterday, an, of course, I watched it last night, fpourth viewing. And I still like it a lot. I also never had a problem with the ending, because I think, it was well execute. Just again I was taken in by the beautful cinematography, Linus Sandgren did a stellar job, up there with Roger Deakins' work on SF. And running for 163 minutes (157 on DVD) , it was not boring or dragging. And it is well-directed. If Fukunaga comes back, I would support it, and if fo, it were great if he get Sandgren back.

You still watch dvds?