NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• edited December 2021 Posts: 625
    matt_u wrote: »
    WSS is a film that faced also problems with marketing because of its male star’s sexual allegations.

One (!) tweet, that the woman deleted and never charged Elgort with anything afterwards.

I don't think, that this topic is the main reason for its box office.

In my opinion the main reasons are:
    - it's a musical
    - many see it as an unnecessary new version of WSS
    - no known stars
    - the musical-going cinema audience (middle-aged women) is still fearful going to the movies
    - Covid in general
    Feyador wrote: »
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I think it is a pet project. Is anybody crying out for a musical anyway?
    Would that get me into a cinema? No.

I quite enjoyed the greatest showman (daughter loves it)
    I think that the campy, fantastical sequence set in a highly-stylized "Cuba" of the imagination is very much choreographed like a musical! And I can easily imagine ... oh, say, a muscular Gene Kelly in the Craig role and a sleek Cyd Charise as Paloma. Old timers here will get what I mean .....

Yes I can get on board with this. I thought the spectre party was great - the music the blofeld voice over. The camera choices with the three bald guys walking straight to camera was very stylish.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    Wow the UK boxoffice sinked last weekend. NTTD grossed just £300K over the last seven days. Omicron panic..?

Yes and no. It'll be interesting to see how spidey does this opening weekend. So many places are sold out for tomorrow alone.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    WSS is a film that faced also problems with marketing because of its male star’s sexual allegations.

One (!) tweet, that the woman deleted and never charged Elgort with anything afterwards.

- it's a musical
    - no known stars
    - the musical-going cinema audience (middle-aged women) is still fearful going to the movies
    - Covid in general

All reasonable points. I want see it, but not so bad that I'm willing to pay $20. It is not a must-see big cinema film. I'll wait to rent it in a few months, for $5.99.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Jan1985 wrote: »

- it's a musical
    - no known stars
    - Covid in general

Obviously it’s not the reason for the poor opening, and I never said that for the record, but it’s still a thing since various newspaper are again picking up the story. I’m not saying this story damaged its already catastrophic performance, and I don’t think it had honestly, but such things are never good for a film.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/ansel-elgort-west-side-story-assault-allegation-1235131496/amp/
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    Wow the UK boxoffice sinked last weekend. NTTD grossed just £300K over the last seven days. Omicron panic..?

Yes and no. It'll be interesting to see how spidey does this opening weekend. So many places are sold out for tomorrow alone.

Nerd and youngsters are not afraid to watch a film - so anticipated - in a packed theater. It’s gonna be interesting to see its legs. Most of the showings during the opening weekend are already sold out since a couple of weeks.
  • Not that it would mean anything in the long run, but if NTTD can crawl to $783, it would be in the top 100 all-time for unadjusted worldwide BO. It's got to pass Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars, and Deadpool to get there.
    It looks like Spidey may be able to top NTTD before January 1st 2022. In the US alone it sold $80M in pre sales…
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    But Spidey may also just be heavy in the first weekend and see a massive drop in the following weeks. NTTD really had legs - something the new Spiderman has to proof. I do not wonder at all that it hits quite some heights in it's first weekend.
    edited December 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Reviews are good as well so it looks like the vom will be quite fine. Plus, I think that once people will find out who’s starring in this one they will go back to the theaters even more out of nostalgia and curiosity.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think it is a pet project. Is anybody crying out for a musical anyway?
    Would that get me into a cinema? No.

You love NTTD and you don't care for musicals? You are a very likeable person ;)

Thank you. I love plenty of older musicals. Just not in the mood for one these days. Or at least not that one. The only two movies I am now eagerly awaiting is the next John Wick and the new Matrix.
  • SeanCraig wrote: »
    But Spidey may also just be heavy in the first weekend and see a massive drop in the following weeks. NTTD really had legs - something the new Spiderman has to proof. I do not wonder at all that it hits quite some heights in it's first weekend.

It's predicted to open between $130M to $175M and has glowing reviews, better than any previous spidey flick and better than most comic book films. It's going to wipe the floor with NTTD's performance and very easily so.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have MCU fatigue. I have no interest in seeing the new Spider-man or anything Marvel related for a long, long time.
  • For those in the States the Blu-ray seems to available at some Walmart stores. Was able to pick their exclusive with the Safin keychain last night!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    JoeBond wrote: »
    For those in the States the Blu-ray seems to available at some Walmart stores. Was able to pick their exclusive with the Safin keychain last night!

That's awesome, I've heard rumors that Wal-Mart has been dropping it early, with some stores going off an "unofficial" Friday release this week. I might have to look into that; just canceled my order with Target because I ordered it well over a month ago and they won't have it delivered until December 27th. No thanks.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    For those in the States the Blu-ray seems to available at some Walmart stores. Was able to pick their exclusive with the Safin keychain last night!

That's awesome, I've heard rumors that Wal-Mart has been dropping it early, with some stores going off an "unofficial" Friday release this week. I might have to look into that; just canceled my order with Target because I ordered it well over a month ago and they won't have it delivered until December 27th. No thanks.

I believe it was supposed to be put on the shelves on Friday but employees stocked it anyway as the price tags were already put up. So lucky with this release. I think it pays off for waiting so long to see it:)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I believe it was supposed to be put on the shelves on Friday but employees stocked it anyway as the price tags were already put up. So lucky with this release. I think it pays off for waiting so long to see it:)

I convinced the girlfriend to look for me while she's out shopping, just in case I'm just as lucky. I'd be ecstatic if so.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited December 2021 Posts: 8,000
    TripAces wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else, but I have MCU fatigue. I have no interest in seeing the new Spider-man or anything Marvel related for a long, long time.

Cool. I don’t. Bring it on!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't care which movies now top Bond at the box office. NTTD already proved itself and has done great. Onward we go ...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don't care which movies now top Bond at the box office. NTTD already proved itself and has done great. Onward we go ...

I couldn't agree more. Bond has yet again been a box office draw. Case closed for me.

Spider-Man is one of the biggest characters out there. You can’t even compare iconic superheroes to Bond. I mean, no one felt bad back in 2012 when Avengers, another Marvel ensemble like NWH, grossed $400M more than the biggest Bond ever at the boxoffice…
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Spider-Man is one of the biggest characters out there. You can’t even compare iconic superheroes to Bond. I mean, no one felt bad back in 2012 when Avengers, another Marvel ensemble like NWH, grossed $400M more than the biggest Bond ever at the boxoffice…

And nobody felt bad when SPIDER-MAN (2002) out grossed DIE ANOTHER DAY.

There were other things to feel bad about. Like, DIE ANOTHER DAY.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

And nobody felt bad when SPIDER-MAN (2002) out grossed DIE ANOTHER DAY.

There were other things to feel bad about. Like, DIE ANOTHER DAY.

It's all a matter of perspective.

happy-feet-gif-gif.1031815
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 214
    Seems like the movie only came out yesterday and I'm getting the 4K Steelbook next Monday I think. Might pick up a couple more for Christmas presents.
  • TripAces wrote: »

Cool. I don’t. Bring it on!

Just saw the new spider-man film last night. The cinema was so packed out it felt like a sauna and this was a 9:15Pm showing. Anyway, this film was incredible really fantastic acting, highly emotional and surprisingly brutal. This film got End Game level crowd cheers if not more. It's definitely crossing $Billion. I walked away from this movie super satisfied unlike NTTD that quote frankly was a huge disappointment and now feels like a chore to sit through and watch.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    May I ask what age bracket you fall into @Jimjambond ?

Less than 18
    18-25
    25-35
    35-45
    45-55
    55+
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 1,314
    From what I have read Spider-Man delivers where no time to die failed. Leaving the audience wanting more, satisfied and happy.

Personally feel like they stretched the Bond formula for the sake of being shocking and took the fans good will for granted.
    NWH is designed as the ultimate Marvel crowd pleaser. It’s mostly well done fan service mixed with nostalgia. Obviously nerds on day one will lose their minds for it and the general audiences will like it a lot because it delivers a good mix of action, emotions and fun.
    On the other hand NTTD is a more mature product. NTTD is made for grownups, not kids. Comparing the two is incorrect and the amazing run NTTD had proved the fact that people liked the film and the word of mouth has been very good.
    People who disliked the film are a minority. That’s a fact. NTTD wouldn't have become the #1 Hollywood movie of 2021 if it didn't deliver.
    Having said that NWH will end up grossing something like £20M less than Bond in the UK at the end of the day, despite the better opening weekend.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    NWH is designed as the ultimate Marvel crowd pleaser. It’s mostly well done fan service mixed with nostalgia. Obviously nerds on day one will lose their minds for it and the general audiences will like it a lot because it delivers a good mix of action, emotions and fun.
    On the other hand NTTD is a more mature product. NTTD is made for grownups, not kids. Comparing the two is incorrect and the amazing run NTTD had proved the fact that people liked the film and the word of mouth has been very good.
    People who disliked the film are a minority. That’s a fact. NTTD wouldn't have become the #1 Hollywood movie of 2021 if it didn't deliver.
    Having said that NWH will end up grossing something like £20M less than Bond in the UK at the end of the day, despite the better opening weekend.

I'll take CR over most if not all MCU movies but NTTD just didn't deliver for me. The film overall just feels a bit off and quite frankly unsatisfying. It's not a terrible film by any means but it's not what I wanted nor expected from a Bond film. I don't even mind Bond being killed off but the build up from everything after Jamaica to the end of the film doesn't do anything for me.
    Bond does super impressive numbers in the UK, which is understandable and almost by default expected. I expect NTTD to outgross NWH by a significant margin but the UK is one territory. NWH will likely outperform NTTD everywhere else in the world by circa $300Million.
    I'm not talking about single persons but in general. If NTTD didn't deliver with the general audiences wouldn't been able to exceed expectations. Before release no one saw the film being that big internationally. $610M+ overseas during a pandemic for a film with such an older demographic is amazing and its performance in some markets was frankly shocking.

Without restrictions in China a week before release and without such a late release in Australia NTTD would've hit the $800M mark internationally.

The fact that Spidey will outgross Bond by a wide margin doesn't make NTTD's performance any less relevant. As I said before, no one said that SF did "meh numbers" back in 2012 only because Avengers grossed $1.5B.
  • TripAces wrote: »

Yeah I’m in a similar boat. I can understand why they’re so successful. The ones I’ve seen have been very consistent in quality, I doubt there’s ever been a Marvel film as bad as DAD for example. But that quality always ranges from okay to pretty good in my experience. If I was comparing it to Bond, I’d say Bond has lower lows, but much higher highs. And I think the weaker Bond films are a worthy trade off for the genuinely brilliant ones.

To be fair though that’s me talking as a Bond fan, plenty of Marvel fans would probably say the opposite is true. With any long running blockbuster series where there’s a million films, it probably comes and goes for anyone who doesn’t have some sort of childhood attachment to it.