Babs Broccoli says she is "open" to Bond possibly being non-binary in the future

edited December 2021 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 503
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10299843/007-future-considers-neither-male-female.html

(Changed source since people don't like Fox... and before you bash the Daily Mail, they've been right before about Bond developments)

Comments

• I wouldn’t get too worked up about it because it seems like clickbait to me. She never said that she’d be open to Bond being non binary, she said in the interview there that he’s staying a man. They were on about actors who could play it, so it seems to me that she’s saying she’s open to non binary actors, presumably those who were born male. And why wouldn’t that work? They don’t have to actually be James Bond in real life, it’s pretend.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I wouldn’t get too worked up about it because it seems like clickbait to me. She never said that she’d be open to Bond being non binary, she said in the interview there that he’s staying a man. They were on about actors who could play it, so it seems to me that she’s saying she’s open to non binary actors, presumably those who were born male. And why wouldn’t that work? They don’t have to actually be James Bond in real life, it’s pretend.

Reminds me of all the concerns of whether Craig can drive a stick shift.

Can mods change the title of this thread? The title is as extremely misleading as the FOX NEWS piece the OP attached. Almost as if there was intention to start controversy where none exists…

Can mods change the title of this thread? The title is as extremely misleading as the FOX NEWS piece the OP attached. Almost as if there was intention to start controversy where none exists…
    Running straight to mommy to tattle, huh? Couldn't just straight up ask me? Maybe they should hire you as the new Bond.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Stopped reading at www.fox
    Bond wrote: »

Running straight to mommy to tattle, huh? Couldn't just straight up ask me? Maybe they should hire you as the new Bond.

If you change it, no one else has to. ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A waste of thread space. Stupid click bait.
  • TheQueensPeaceTheQueensPeace That's Classified
    Barbara is just being nice, kind and diplomatic as always. x
    Barbara is just being nice, kind and diplomatic as always. x

The slippery slope of woke-ism!!!
    I'd like him to be hexadecimal.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Neocryptodecimal or I will go on Twitter, and post a strongly worded Tweet.
    I think if we’re to see anything new with Bond’s sexual orientation in the next 60 years he’ll more likely become bisexual. They’ll ease it first by keeping the ladies his leading opposites that he sleeps with at the end, but show he’s game to seduce men in the middle of the movie if his job demands it. Then maybe in 2087 for the 125th anniversary they’ll actually give him a dude to sleep with at the very end of the film, and it’s Bond that gets pegged.

It’ll be okay by then, because today’s old farts that are complaining about the LGBT agenda while crapping their pants will be long dead and rotting by the 2080s, and Billie Eilish will still be alive to see it all.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 12,837
    I think if we’re to see anything new with Bond’s sexual orientation in the next 60 years he’ll more likely become bisexual. They’ll ease it first by keeping the ladies his leading opposites that he sleeps with at the end, but show he’s game to seduce men in the middle of the movie if his job demands it. Then maybe in 2087 for the 125th anniversary they’ll actually give him a dude to sleep with at the very end of the film, and it’s Bond that gets pegged.

It’ll be okay by then, because today’s old farts that are complaining about the LGBT agenda while crapping their pants will be long dead and rotting by the 2080s, and Billie Eilish will still be alive to see it all.

Haha, I’ve always seen him as the straightest man in the world to be honest (although he did go to boarding school so you never know, maybe that line in SF was hinting at some experiences), but I think Bond having to seduce a man could be a genuinely interesting direction for a Bond film to explore. Would he do it if he had to? Or even a woman he wasn’t actually attracted to would be fun, they could get some humour out of that. In TB he claims he shagged Fiona for Queen and Country, but she’s the classic Bond girl type. You can imagine he’d have done it anyway. I think putting that claim to the test by having a different sort of target for him to seduce would be a fun way of subverting the formula. M would definitely pimp him out to anyone if he thought it’d lead to a successful mission.

Plus now that I’m thinking about it, for a man who’s meant to be king of the top shaggers, Bond really doesn’t seem all that sexually adventurous at all. Occasionally doing it in the shower or outside or in space that time seems to be as kinky as he gets. Surprised they’ve never had him have a threesome for example, there’s always multiple Bond girls a film. I know there’s only so much they can imply with a 12A cert but come on James, live a little.
    Well, there was that moment with Irma Bunt.

“Fancy meeting you here, Fräulein!”

He got knocked out just before we could see how he’d save the situation.

And then there’s May Day, who clearly was on top of the situation.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited December 2021 Posts: 538
    DailyMail isn't much better than Fox. That site is an infestation of clickbait.

No one is seriously advocating for Non-binary Bond. It's just an imaginary strawman for people who want a reason to be outraged.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Better to make the character asexual. Then the audience can self-determine how he self-identifies.

And that's still another bad idea.

35ecb5b6e8489303ef75a6264ab20748_w200.gif

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2021 Posts: 17,687
    Make Bond a Vulcan, then only make movies off the 7 year cycle so you don't have to address the issue at all.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Make Bond a Vulcan, then only make movies off the 7 year cycle so you don't have to address the issue at all.

That would be the most logical approach.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2021 Posts: 7,889
    If this remove any doubt that Barbara is willing to do the dance of diplomacy (soft lying) then nothing will.
    There isn’t a chance in hell that a non-binary performer would be cast.

And to those freaking over FOX , this story din not originate there, many, many outlets carried the quote.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/videos/2021-12-12-121221-barbara-broccoli-1321433/
    Have James Bond finally met their match?
    talos7 wrote: »
    If this remove any doubt that Barbara is willing to do the dance of diplomacy (soft lying) then nothing will.

And to those freaking over FOX , this story din not originate there, many, many outlets carried the quote.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/videos/2021-12-12-121221-barbara-broccoli-1321433/

Redirecting from Fox to TMZ is pretty funny to me. These are definitely some hard-hitting, completely unbiased, publications of journalistic integrity that are being referenced. ;)

I take my leave!
  • talos7 wrote: »

Assuming you’re referring to “he can be any colour” there. Nobody’s denied that she’s capable of being diplomatic. Some of us don’t see why there’s any reason to infer it in that case. Whether you’re open to it yourself or not, the amount of times POC actors have been suggested over the years should tell you that it’s a viewpoint held by a lot of people. Why is it out of the question that she’s one of them? Why assume that she must agree with you?

And while I think a non binary actor getting it is very unlikely to happen (because of how few non binary people there are in general), I still don’t see what the problem would be. If their assigned gender at birth was male, then why couldn’t they play a man in a film? I really don’t care what any potential Bond actors identify as in real life to be honest, so long as they’re in a male body. The actors we’ve had haven’t really been superspies in real life, doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mattjoes wrote: »

The Post of the Day Award goes to @mattjoes.
    If I may make a comment, not as a "feminazi" but as a "grammar nazi", I believe it would still be:
    "Has James Bond finally met their match?"
  • If I may make a comment, not as a "feminazi" but as a "grammar nazi", I believe it would still be:

No/Nein/Nyet. It's working within the parameters of the joke.
    Lol ok I’ll take your word for it.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 6,682
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »

The Post of the Day Award goes to @mattjoes.
    Haha, thank you @Dragonpol.

If I may make a comment, not as a "feminazi" but as a "grammar nazi", I believe it would still be:

Edit: Still, I take your point about the grammar!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »

Redirecting from Fox to TMZ is pretty funny to me. These are definitely some hard-hitting, completely unbiased, publications of journalistic integrity that are being referenced. ;)

I take my leave!

The point is, the source is irrelevant, the actual quote is. In this case it’s audible. Trying to discredit it because it’s carried by a particular media outlet is disingenuous.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don't mind this pointless click bait. They've even been discussing it on Perth radio this afternoon. Isn't the old saying, 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' ?
    And the discussion of a non-binary Bond isn't bad publicity. It's just a discussion.
    Similar to having a female Bond and a non-white actor play James Bond. EON are hardly likely to flat out say no to such things, in a world of me too, fairness to all, and political correctness gone mad.
    By keeping the option on the table, they offend no-one other than a few that want an answer for everything. All the time, without fail.
    It's unlikely to happen, as EON believe it or not, respect the character as created by Ian Fleming. Yes, they have made changes and tweaks here and there. But for the most part Bond is the same character as first penned by Fleming.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »
    I don't mind this pointless click bait. They've even been discussing it on Perth radio this afternoon. Isn't the old saying, 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' ?
    And the discussion of a non-binary Bond isn't bad publicity. It's just a discussion.
    Similar to having a female Bond and a non-white actor play James Bond. EON are hardly likely to flat out say no to such things, in a world of me too, fairness to all, and political correctness gone mad.

She does here, and has before, said a flat-out no to Bond being female though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    My point is that a non-binary Bond can be added to the list of a non-white Bond.
    EON aren't going to openly oppose such casting out and out. But it's not likely to happen.