NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

matt_u wrote: »
    NTTD hits the $750M mark globally.

Its estimated cume now stands at $755.1M.
    It only needs $3M to gross $600M internationally.
    Compared to the previous week Bond dropped just an impressive -16% globally.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/11/28/box-office-no-time-to-die-passes-750m-as-dune-tops-50m-imax/?sh=7dda4e8c272f

Next up, the Philippines on 12/15.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Ryan wrote: »
    Great news! I noticed that F9 must have opened elsewhere and passed it briefly again, but this will put it back ahead.

Last week F9 was at $721. Now at $739. As per IMDB, it opened today in the Philippines (where the previous one made just a $7M total).
    It doesn’t make any sense that $739M figure.
    The Numbers - which is overall more precise than Mojo - still reports $721M.

EDIT: It’s a bug on Boxofficemojo, confirmed. F9 never grossed $15M (LOL) in Ireland like they report. It happens sometimes, they will fix it soon.
    The correct F9 gross is reported by The Numbers.
  • Box Office Mojo is rounding off the Int'l take at 600m, making it 758m ww

So it passed my 750m prediction, very nice!
    Let’s wait for a confirmation from The Numbers. Recently Mojo is messing a lot providing slightly wrong numbers. That $600M figure is clearly a placeholder.
  • Not too shabby for a so called flop! Next Bond actor has a huge task in his hands.
    NTTD brings its cume after the third weekend in Australia to $19M (USD). I’m not very into the Aussie box-office and I just hope Bond will be able to hit $30M, even tho it’s gonna be difficult since this week Dune will come out as well.

• edited November 2021 Posts: 214
    NTTD is currently the 2nd biggest movie of the year in Oz.

The 'zilla movie at #1 is just over $21m....and should be passed quite easily.

Hopefully it will best SP that in 2015 grossed $28M…
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,035
    Does NTTD have $42m left in it worldwide, to get to $800m?

Mallory wrote: »
    Does NTTD have $42m left in it worldwide, to get to $800m?

Unfortunately no.

In the meantime…
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dan definitely leaves a gigantic legacy, and big dress shoes to fill. He and EON got the last three Bond movies in the top five all time UK box office. What an achievement.
    Yeah that’s truly incredible. I still believe that without the delays and the pandemic it would’ve top SF at the UK boxoffice.

I think that in the foreseeable future only Avatar 2 has a real chance to best NTTD.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @matt_u, NTTD definitely came out to massive disadvantages given the current climate and the delays, which is all the more impressive that it did as amazing as it did.
    I’m very pleasantly surprised that it’s currently the second highest grossing bond film. I don’t agree with some of the creative choices but it must have struck a chord with the wider audience to keep going two months after release.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    NTTD brings its cume after the third weekend in Australia to $19M (USD). I’m not very into the Aussie box-office and I just hope Bond will be able to hit $30M, even tho it’s gonna be difficult since this week Dune will come out as well.

The problem Bond faces in Australia is that the two biggest markets were in lockdown from July - October, so there is quite a backlog of blockbusters to get through.

At my local cinema, when it was released, NTTD was up against Black Wide, Suicide Squad, Shang-Chi and The Eternals. Now it will up against The Eternals, Dune and Spiderman.
    So in the UK the official cume is £95.5M. Skyfall’s £103.2M are just out of reach, although NTTD is proving to be leggier than SP so maybe the £100M mark may still be on the table…
    Actual numbers from Sunday are in.
    NTTD worldwide gross is a pandemic record breaking $755,969,024.

That means Bond grossed $22M worldwide over the last seven days, dropping just -12% compared to the previous week.

It also means NTTD has topped the adjusted for 2021 inflation gross of QOS.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Actual numbers from Sunday are in.
    NTTD worldwide gross is a pandemic record breaking $755,969,024.

That means Bond grossed $22M worldwide over the last seven days, dropping just -12% compared to the previous week.

It also means NTTD has topped the adjusted for 2021 inflation gross of QOS.

53Lv.gif

Excellent.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So NTTD is far from the flop that some would have you think.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It's only a flop if you compare it to the last two Craig outings, which is impossible given the current world landscape
    Let's not forget that NTTD came out not only within a damaged landscape because of COVID. NTTD suffered from 18 months of delays - more than any other flick coming out this fall - and a lot of people saw this conclusion as "old news", given the fact that NTTD is a sequel to a 2015 movie and the first full trailer came out exactly two years ago.

Honestly, I'm shocked the film did so good and the main reason is that people liked it and the VOM has been strong. NTTD is leggier than SP even in the US, its only kinda disappointing market.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The states just aren't big on Bond. For example, there were 11 family members at Thanksgiving at my house. I asked if anyone had seen it when a spot came up promoting the on demand release. No one had seen it or had plans to besides my wife and I. So 2 of 11 had seen it. I've been asking my coworker who's a fan and still hasn't seen it. I saw nobody on Facebook asking or promoting it. The US is a Marvel market nowadays.
    You must force them to go see it! XD
    Benny wrote: »
    So NTTD is far from the flop that some would have you think.

What insane folk are saying that rubbish?
    The states just aren't big on Bond. For example, there were 11 family members at Thanksgiving at my house. I asked if anyone had seen it when a spot came up promoting the on demand release. No one had seen it or had plans to besides my wife and I. So 2 of 11 had seen it. I've been asking my coworker who's a fan and still hasn't seen it. I saw nobody on Facebook asking or promoting it. The US is a Marvel market nowadays.

Yeah, we're not exactly known for our fine taste these days.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I've never seen a Marvel movie - unless Deadpool counts?
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 500

Quite unfortunate — but at least the rest of the world makes up for us yanks lack of taste!

Astounding to me that NTTD overtook Spectre in the UK.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    FYI,

While the following is not specific to Bond, it does look at the future of movie-going in the U.S.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/29/business/movie-theater-attendance.html

“The research clearly shows that theaters are suffering because the pandemic intensified, accelerated, amplified all of the nascent trends that were already underway,” Ms. Ong said. “That is the definition of a perfect storm — not that various problems exist at the same time, but that they have an intensifying effect on each other.”

The detailed report (which I have not read as of yet) can be found here:
    https://thequorum.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Exhibition-At-A-Crossroads-11.29.21.pdf

Food for thought.
    NTTD suffered from 18 months of delays - more than any other flick coming out this fall - and a lot of people saw this conclusion as "old news".

More than any other flick coming out?
    That's not true.

There are many movies, that had spring/summer-2020-release-dates set, and still have not been released.
    Think of "Top Gun:Maverick", "Minions 2", "The King's Man", "Death on the Nile" ... just to name a few.
    "Ghostbusters: Afterlife" should have been released in June 2020, and was pushed to November 2021 aswell. Almost every movie coming out these days had the same release-story.

So people must see EVERY movie as "old news".

I think the majority of people don't care about when a movie was filmed, or when it was to be released originally.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Let's not forget that NTTD came out not only within a damaged landscape because of COVID. NTTD suffered from 18 months of delays - more than any other flick coming out this fall - and a lot of people saw this conclusion as "old news", given the fact that NTTD is a sequel to a 2015 movie and the first full trailer came out exactly two years ago.

Honestly, I'm shocked the film did so good and the main reason is that people liked it and the VOM has been strong. NTTD is leggier than SP even in the US, its only kinda disappointing market.

Agreed. It is interesting to note that despite the VOD availability of NTTD it seems to be enjoying a good Week over Week performance in the US when compared to SP (i.e., the film has legs). This is especially surprising given that the VOD ads that I have seen do not note hat the film is still in theaters.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    NTTD is getting an IMAX set of screenings this weekend at my local Odeon, both at 2.20pm.

I may have to go along so I can see it in that format one last time.