"I don t drink...wine."- The Dracula Thread

Comments

And here's a nice summary of the novel by Overly Sarcastic Productions :

Interview of Dacre Stoker by Maven of the Eventide. Nice guy, interesting, although I'm very skeptical to say the least about some of his claims, among them how much his ancestor knew of the historical Dracula (imo very little), and his knowledge of Bran Castle. But it's nevertheless quite interesting :
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Apparently , the monarch of England is a descendant of Vlad the Impaler. Makes sense.
  • My YouTube playlist of quality Dracula-themed videos (both fact & fiction)...

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzEIT4Hp0BRUYDRlbNMrx8KYyaVj9P1xd

Ms. Caitlin Doughty posted a very interesting video about the likely american inspiration for Bram Stoker's magnus opus :

Oh, and remember that poster ?

Kung-Fu-versus-The-7-Golden-Vampires-Blu-Ray-Bd-R-The-Legend-Of-The-7.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Well, if it's true that Julie Ege shows quite a bit of cleavage (and the vampire victims show more than that), Shih Szu is much more modestly attired that on that image.
    Has anyone seen the BBC Dracula movie? Or maybe a mini-series. Saw it listed on Amazon Prime, and I was just curious.
    Has anyone seen the BBC Dracula movie? Or maybe a mini-series. Saw it listed on Amazon Prime, and I was just curious.

If it is the one with Claes Bang in the lead, I have seen it. I thought it was dreadful.

If it is the one with Claes Bang in the lead, I have seen it. I thought it was dreadful.

The 2006 one was also dreadful. The 1977 adaptation was heavily flawed and had a miscast Dracula, but it had its moments.
    Apparently, Dracula appears in the Moon Knight series coming up next year, and Ethan Hawke has been cast as one of the main villains. I wonder if he is Dracula? To me, he seems more suited to the role of the Werewolf.
    Ethan-Hawke.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »

The 2006 one was also dreadful. The 1977 adaptation was heavily flawed and had a miscast Dracula, but it had its moments.

Was the 1977 adaptation the one with Louis Jourdan as Dracula? If so, I've always wanted to see it as he's one of my favourite actors.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That’s the PaedBC TV movie, right? The one with Louis Jordan? I didn’t think much of it, but it’s been a few years since I saw it. I might seek out a copy and give it another try.

Cleas Bang made for a chilling Dracula, but that mini series was so awfully written. It started just.... ok, and went downhill over the following two episodes.
    I will double check it today. It’s the same guy that was in OP- I think he’s Dracula
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

I loved the newest BBC adaptation. I thought it was clever and daring. Seen it a few times now. David Arnold provided the impressive music score.
    I will double check it today. It’s the same guy that was in OP- I think he’s Dracula

Yes, that's right. I also like Louis Jourdan when he guest starred in Columbo. I really need to see more of his work as he's an excellent actor.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, that's right. I also like Louis Jourdan when he guest starred in Columbo. I really need to see more of his work as he's an excellent actor.

Yes @dragonpol, it’s Louis Jourdan. Great actor. Has a brevity to his persona. I saw the Columbo episode as well! I’m trying to recall the plot line..was he a restaurant owner? He was also in Swamp Thing, or Swamp Thing 2, can’t remember which one.
    @LeonardPine Who starred in the latest BBC adaption?
    edited November 2021 Posts: 17,727

Yes @dragonpol, it’s Louis Jourdan. Great actor. Has a brevity to his persona. I saw the Columbo episode as well! I’m trying to recall the plot line..was he a restaurant owner? He was also in Swamp Thing, or Swamp Thing 2, can’t remember which one.

That Columbo episode is called Murder Under Glass (1978). Louis Jourdan plays Paul Gerard, a food critic who poisons a restaurant owner he's blackmailing. You were close enough there, @sworddevil1! :)

I believe that Jourdan played the villain in Swamp Thing (1982). Perhaps this role helped Jourdan land the part of Prince Kamal Khan in Octopussy though I believe he was also a friend of Cubby Broccoli's which probably did no harm either! Here's a scene from the film starring Jourdan though I've not seen it yet:

That Columbo episode is called Murder Under Glass (1978). Louis Jourdan plays Paul Gerard, a food critic who poisons a restaurant owner he's blackmailing. You were close enough there, @sworddevil1! :)

I believe that Jourdan played the villain in Swamp Thing (1982). Perhaps this role helped Jourdan land the part of Prince Kamal Khan in Octopussy though I believe he was also a friend of Cubby Broccoli's which probably did no harm either! Here's a scene from the film starring Jourdan though I've not seen it yet:

Haha! Thanks for sharing @dragonpol. Yes, that’s it! I remember the Columbo episode now! Neat info, didn’t know that he knew Cubby. It’s a shame Jourdan didn’t do more roles, like you, I enjoyed his acting. He was great in OP imo. Made the movie. I may end up leaving the forum, my stay here has not been very welcoming or pleasant. Not just from other posters, but I’ll leave it at that. I have enjoyed our correspondence, and discussion. I also want to thank you for your courtesy.

He was great in that movie.

Yes, it looks it. I'll have to try to track down a copy of this film and watch it in full. I'm a big fan of Louis Jourdan as an actor.

• Here's the complete 1977 BBC telefilm starring Jourdan as the Count.
    CraterGuns wrote: »

Here's the complete 1977 BBC telefilm starring Jourdan as the Count.

Thanks, @CraterGuns. That's great. I'll have to give that a watch ASAP.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 17,727

Haha! Thanks for sharing @dragonpol. Yes, that’s it! I remember the Columbo episode now! Neat info, didn’t know that he knew Cubby. It’s a shame Jourdan didn’t do more roles, like you, I enjoyed his acting. He was great in OP imo. Made the movie. I may end up leaving the forum, my stay here has not been very welcoming or pleasant. Not just from other posters, but I’ll leave it at that. I have enjoyed our correspondence, and discussion. I also want to thank you for your courtesy.

My pleasure, @sworddevil1. I'm always happy to talk about Columbo as it's my favourite thing outside of Bond. I've read that Jourdan went to one of Cubby's parties in the US and it was there that the idea of him being the villain for Octopussy originated. I agree that he was great in the film. I believe that he was also considered for the role of Hugo Drax in Moonraker but that fellow French actor Michael Lonsdale got the role instead.

On the matter of your potentially leaving the forum I'm sorry to learn that you're considering that. I would encourage you to stick around as joining during the release of a long anticipated Bond film that seems to be rather divisive among fans is probably not especially representative of this place in the interregnum between Bond films. Passions always seem to run high on both sides of the debate about whether a newly released Bond film is good or bad. Perhaps try delving into some of the other Bond topics here, such as the older Bond films or the literary Bond and you will find the subjects generally discussed much more dispassionately and in the round than a new Bond release seems to initially allow. I've enjoyed our correspondence in this thread too and hopefully we'll meet up in another thread soon. Thanks for your kind words. I try to be civil with everyone but like anyone else sometimes I stray from the path too!

Yes, it looks it. I'll have to try to track down a copy of this film and watch it in full. I'm a big fan of Louis Jourdan as an actor.

It's not a great film, but it has its charm and Jourdan and a few others really lift the material. I really enjoyed it as a child.

It's not a great film, but it has its charm and Jourdan and a few others really lift the material. I really enjoyed it as a child.

Yes, it does look a bit naff in places but it's always a pleasure to see Louis Jourdan on screen.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 15,785
    As we await the announcement of the next Bond actor, here's something to tide us over...........
    ........the newest Dracula is indeed Nicolas Cage!!!!!!!!

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/nicolas-cage-dracula-renfield-movie-1235122323/
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    As we await the announcement of the next Bond actor, here's something to tide us over...........

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/nicolas-cage-dracula-renfield-movie-1235122323/

That could be fun.
  • edited December 2021 Posts: 14,799
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Oh no! Sometimes I think Dracula is suffering a fate worse than Robin Hood had in recent years. A fate worse than death.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Nicholas Cage as Dracula? Thanks to his unique style of understated acting, the memes are going to be uber dank, the gifs are going to be glorious.

ThirstyLongAbyssiniancat-size_restricted.gif
    Apparently there's another Universal DRACULA movie coming out that's going to be a futuristic sci-fi western directed by Chloe Zhao.
    I wonder if Cage will play the role for both films?