NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    To be fair, WB did green light DUNE PART II and that was AFTER its opening weekend. Perhaps its performance on HBO Max was strong enough to warrant a follow up.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @MakeshiftPython, WB might be doing what a lot of studios do, and greenlighting another Dune as part of an awards play. Despite the underperformance of the film financially, the awards buzz surrounding it and the interest people have in supporting it as a new film series across sequels and spin-offs in-universe probably gave WB the justification to pursue more films just because that money could find its way back to them in other ways. If Dune does get an Oscar win, or a Golden Globe or anything else, they can plaster that on any future disc releases to the end of time, which is a big deal in distribution from what I've gathered. Sort of their way of making an easier sell off a release of a movie, by using the awards garnered to double-down on the advertising and make it seem like an even more worthwhile investment. "See, this won awards, it's gotta be good."
  • If people really want to see what a flop looks like, look no further than The Last Duel. Yikes!
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    If people really want to see what a flop looks like, look no further than The Last Duel. Yikes!

Very undeserved though. I thought it was a highly interesting and very well made film. It was even quite thought provoking which is unusual for modern day entertainment films. I seriously hope people on these boards that haven't seen it don't allow themselves to be fooled by the fact that it flopped and still give it a go.
    @MakeshiftPython, WB might be doing what a lot of studios do, and greenlighting another Dune as part of an awards play. Despite the underperformance of the film financially, the awards buzz surrounding it and the interest people have in supporting it as a new film series across sequels and spin-offs in-universe probably gave WB the justification to pursue more films just because that money could find its way back to them in other ways. If Dune does get an Oscar win, or a Golden Globe or anything else, they can plaster that on any future disc releases to the end of time, which is a big deal in distribution from what I've gathered. Sort of their way of making an easier sell off a release of a movie, by using the awards garnered to double-down on the advertising and make it seem like an even more worthwhile investment. "See, this won awards, it's gotta be good."

If there was ever - I mean EVER - a film that deserved every single technical Oscar, it's Dune.

If there was ever - I mean EVER - a film that deserved every single technical Oscar, it's Dune.

Even though I was a little underwhelmed with the film as a whole, I can probably agree with that. My issue was with the characterization, but no one can deny the technical achievement that the film is.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343

True. Production design, Sound, Score and Cinematography should be given to Dune.
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    Does Best Score count as a technical award?
    Arguably Zimmer and his Remote Control way of doing things has made scoring more technical than before, but music I would have thought still counts as an artistic award

They didn't greenlight Dune 2. They said they did to keep the ticket sales up.
    I'm betting they will say they abandoned the sequel when the final numbers come in.
    Stamper wrote: »
    I'm betting they will say they abandoned the sequel when the final numbers come in.

That's nonsense. They already settled mid July 2022 as the beginning of the production and at this point they already know Dune's final numbers, $400M+- worldwide.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    matt_u wrote: »

That's nonsense. They already settled mid July 2022 as the beginning of the production and at this point they already know Dune's final numbers, $400M+- worldwide.

Which isn't bad! We just happen to live in a crazy world in which big films cost more than Cape Canaveral and anything that comes in below the billion-dollar mark is considered a box-office disappointment.

Quality should always be given another shot. If WB had decided, after Batman Begins had made them little or no money at the BO, to pull the plug, we wouldn't have gotten TDK. Imagine that.

Dune is an amazing film, IMO. And its story is far from finished. I hope we get a sequel.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Which isn't bad! We just happen to live in a crazy world in which big films cost more than Cape Canaveral and anything that comes in below the billion-dollar mark is considered a box-office disappointment.

Quality should always be given another shot. If WB had decided, after Batman Begins had made them little or no money at the BO, to pull the plug, we wouldn't have gotten TDK. Imagine that.

Dune is an amazing film, IMO. And its story is far from finished. I hope we get a sequel.

Agreed. The sequel is locked. Part 2 will 1000% happen. Production starts in July 2022 and the US release date is October 20 2023. Even Zimmer announced it on his Instagram.

The only sequel that is not confirmed is Part 3, aka Dune Messiah, that Villeneuve wants to make but it all depends on Part 2's success.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Arguably Zimmer and his Remote Control way of doing things has made scoring more technical than before, but music I would have thought still counts as an artistic award

I mean, from my view, they're all artistic awards.

I mean, from my view, they're all artistic awards.

True.

They use technical stuff to achieve it,
    but creating the sound or the costumes or the props is an artistic work.

It's like architecture.
    Not the guy who builds the house gets the award,
    but the architect.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,999
    Typically studios announce green lighting a sequel BEFORE the film comes out in order to drive hype. WB did the same for a sequel to SUPERMAN RETURNS weeks before it was released, and of course nothing came out of that after it underperformed.

So the fact that WB didn’t green light a DUNE sequel until AFTER it’s weekend release is proof that they’re gonna move forward with it. That’s why there was a lot of frustration over there not being a green light before release because fans were worried that WB would not move forward, especially if it has disappointing opening. Luckily, it did well enough to warrant a sequel. Now it’s all dependent on how the sequel performs.
    So NTTD just hit $62M in China and by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend its cume will stand at $158.4M in NA. In the UK it will best SP tomorrow, it now stands at a whooping £94.99M.

The current spark of new cases will damage a bit its legs in the EU even tho, speaking about upcoming releases, who knows what will happen this winter with the newly South African variant already spreading in Europe.

They really figured out the perfect window to release this film.
    Typically studios announce green lighting a sequel BEFORE the film comes out in order to drive hype. WB did the same for a sequel to SUPERMAN RETURNS weeks before it was released, and of course nothing came out of that after it underperformed.

I guess I'm just a different breed. If I heard that I'd be less likely to go see a movie, because, "well, it's already getting a sequel, so I'll wait and see it." It takes a lot to get me out to the movies anyway, these days. Bond is the only man that I will never fail to support continually at the theaters.

So NTTD just hit $62M in China and by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend its cume will stand at $158.4M in NA. In the UK it will best SP tomorrow, it now stands at a whooping £94.99M.

The current spark of new cases will damage a bit its legs in the EU even tho, speaking about upcoming releases, who knows what will happen this winter with the newly South African variant already spreading in Europe.

They really figured out the perfect window to release this film.

You're right, @matt_u, and what a relief, too. At this point, I'm happy for any extra the film gets, wherever it gets it from.

With how much the entire era has been marred with issues with production and nasty circumstances and delays, it was a relief to get to see it and see it make such an impact. Couldn't ask for more...other than an extra hour in a director's cut or something...
  • I wonder how the rising covid cases will affect No Way home's theatrical release, especially as it's touted to become the first $Billion movie since the pandemic.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Media are more inclined to comment on the negative rather than the positive. A Bond film that does well? Boring. A Bond film that sucks and fails and depresses people... oh, and Fukunaga calling Bond a rapist, now THAT'S news! Media select, filter and isolate, and none of us is entirely immune to that. That's why many assume the world is in a worse state now than it's ever been, when it's quite the opposite. That is also why bombs are being reported within hours after a film's release. In the case of M:I3, if memory serves, even before the film was released. We all buy the negative so much more than the positive.

Very true. They're like sharks...and if they smell the slightest bit of blood, they go in for the kill.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Media are more inclined to comment on the negative rather than the positive. A Bond film that does well? Boring. A Bond film that sucks and fails and depresses people... oh, and Fukunaga calling Bond a rapist, now THAT'S news! Media select, filter and isolate, and none of us is entirely immune to that. That's why many assume the world is in a worse state now than it's ever been, when it's quite the opposite. That is also why bombs are being reported within hours after a film's release. In the case of M:I3, if memory serves, even before the film was released. We all buy the negative so much more than the positive.

Very true. They're like sharks...and if they smell the slightest bit of blood, they go in for the kill.

There is something to that. I even see it in my own life. If I were to get 100 compliments from people in a day, but one person said something negative, my brain would latch onto that negative more than anything else.

I guess this makes Carver one of the most realistic villains in the franchise, despite how silly the movie around him is. Really makes you think.

There is something to that. I even see it in my own life. If I were to get 100 compliments from people in a day, but one person said something negative, my brain would latch onto that negative more than anything else.

I guess this makes Carver one of the most realistic villains in the franchise, despite how silly the movie around him is. Really makes you think.

There is something to be said about media tycoons being some of the most dangerous people in the world.

There is something to be said about media tycoons being some of the most dangerous people in the world.

The concept in NTD is very interesting. Such a shame they couldn't do anything more exciting with it. At the end of the day Carver is just another Bond villain who wants to use missiles to threaten a new world war. Something we have seen many times before.
  • jobo wrote: »

The concept in NTD is very interesting. Such a shame they couldn't do anything more exciting with it. At the end of the day Carver is just another Bond villain who wants to use missiles to threaten a new world war. Something we have seen many times before.

I think you've posted in the wrong thread fella
    jobo wrote: »

I think you've posted in the wrong thread fella

I was not the person to bring up Carver and NTD. Feel free to point out that it derails the discussion (something which is very common on this site), but why single out me specifically? :-??
  • I wasn't. I just saw your post and thought you'd instigated discussion so apologies.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,548
    I wasn't. I just saw your post and thought you'd instigated discussion so apologies.

Indeed, it was not @jobo. Regardless, the point in all of this is a good one and can circle back to NTTD.

I think one misstep in the past two films (and the return of SPECTRE) is the reliance on evil organizations and their legions of technicians/soldiers. I wondered this with the lair in SP, when there were hundreds of techs working there...and I was like, who the heck are these people and why would they take jobs in the middle of nowhere?

Same with Safin's people on the island. Who decides to take that job? Maybe the medical benefits are great? :-?

I remember thinking this about YOLT and TSWLM, as well. In the case of NTTD, a better angle is that Safin has sold the technology to Japan, China, or Russia but is manipulating it behind the scenes (this would take a small team). Thus, to get to Safin, Bond actually has to go through one of those nations--I know, distasteful to EON. but it makes a lot more sense.

21st-century villainy is outsourced these days. I thought CR, QoS, and SF did a good job of presenting that. I loved NTTD, but if I have a complaint, it's the level of Safin's personnel.
    That’s a good -36% drop compared to the previous weekend, given the fact that it lost 1065 screens.

NTTD hits the $750M mark globally.

Its estimated cume now stands at $755.1M.
    It only needs $3M to gross $600M internationally.
    Compared to the previous week Bond dropped just an impressive -16% globally.
  • Thank you global....it has to scratch and claw its way to $160m in the US....
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Great news! I noticed that F9 must have opened elsewhere and passed it briefly again, but this will put it back ahead.