NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - First Reactions vs. Current Reactions

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Fleming quoted it in YOLT when M presumed Bond to be dead.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

It's a really good quote, both in the book and the film.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Ah, I forgot about that, good call.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I've been defending SP for close to six years now, and I'm pretty alone in that.

I'm with ya :)
  • Fleming used it in YOLT, so it is Fleming in a way. But he didn't quote the first sentence in YOLT, just the second one, if I remember right.
    More than anything what pleased me most about NTTD is that I wanted lots of book YOLT, and lots of book YOLT is what I got!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I see no harm in including a “block”/“ignore” feature. @JamesPage adding that would be of great value.

Actually, the only Bond forum I've ever seen that feature on was BaB. I don't think it's necessary here and, even if it was, it doesn't seem to be part of the forum software.
    A pity. Needs an UPGRADE!
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    It wouldn’t leave much opportunity for fences to be mended, or for misunderstandings to go the wayside. If I had been able to block all the people I wanted over the years, there are people that I would’ve forgot to unblock, there’s people I’m on good terms with now that I probably never would’ve thought of again.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It wouldn’t leave much opportunity for fences to mended, or for misunderstandings to go the wayside. If I had been able to block all the people I wanted over the years, there are people that I would’ve forgot to unblock, there’s people I’m on good terms with now that I probably never would’ve thought of again.
    Good points. BTW, whatever happened to Bondjames? ;)

I really liked that guy. I was really bummed when he decided to leave. He had a few bad interactions with a couple of members and never returned.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    MGM has spoken:

Unnamed and uninformed sources suggesting the film will lose money are categorically unfounded and put more simply, not true,” MGM spokesperson said in a statement. “The film has far exceeded our theatrical estimates in this timeframe, becoming the highest grossing Hollywood film in the international marketplace and passing ‘F9’ to become the highest grossing Hollywood film since the pandemic. With the PVOD release of the film already doing stellar home viewing business, all while continuing to hold well theatrically, ‘No Time To Die’ will earn a profit for MGM, both as an individual film title and as part of MGM’s incredible library.

Just for the record, MGM get to keep closer to 80% of the money from VOD.

EDIT: Probably wrong thread, my apologies.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It wouldn’t leave much opportunity for fences to mended, or for misunderstandings to go the wayside. If I had been able to block all the people I wanted over the years, there are people that I would’ve forgot to unblock, there’s people I’m on good terms with now that I probably never would’ve thought of again.
    Good points. BTW, whatever happened to Bondjames? ;)

I almost reluctantly agree with the no block/mute feature. But at the same time I appreciate having one. So, as I have for years now, once I find a member whose posts I consistently cannot stand (for whatever reasons, but I do not mean due to just difference of opinion), I try to skim over them as soon as I see their name and just move on and read others on the thread.
    I think Birdleson's point is good and probably the only reason why I agree with not having a block/mute feature.

As for Bondjames, I may be in the minority but I do remember him and I'm quite glad he has not returned. I can say that for only a few.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 214
    matt_u wrote: »
    MGM has spoken:

Unnamed and uninformed sources suggesting the film will lose money are categorically unfounded and put more simply, not true,” MGM spokesperson said in a statement. “The film has far exceeded our theatrical estimates in this timeframe, becoming the highest grossing Hollywood film in the international marketplace and passing ‘F9’ to become the highest grossing Hollywood film since the pandemic. With the PVOD release of the film already doing stellar home viewing business, all while continuing to hold well theatrically, ‘No Time To Die’ will earn a profit for MGM, both as an individual film title and as part of MGM’s incredible library.

Just for the record, MGM get to keep closer to 80% of the money from VOD.

EDIT: Probably wrong thread, my apologies.

The unnamed and uninformed sources are the type who rush to youtube to vent their spleens and rubbish every moment of this film because they are so butt-hurt about him being killed in the end...but still claim to be Bond fans.

There's no way any Bond film could lose money. Even if the initial box-office doesn't cover it, the follow-up receipts from all subsequent releases eventually will. The entire franchise is a money making machine....

As for Bondjames, I may be in the minority but I do remember him and I'm quite glad he has not returned. I can say that for only a few.
    He was opinionated, but amusing. His only real fault was his knowledge of political history, because he had none & thought he knew it all....
    Yes, I would never read those political threads, because I didn't want to know if some of you believed certain things. It came back to me a little bit that he and I weren't aligned politically, but that made me double my efforts to stay on good terms with him. Elsewhere in my life politics has sundered friendships.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518
    The divisions caused by politics are brutal, and seemingly only getting worse. I remember BondJames by name, but by absolutely nothing else.
    I was hoping @bondjames would come back for the release of the new film. At least Brady did.
    We've gotten sidetracked here; I blame myself.

Here's a question- does NTTD make you love Craig's whole tenure even more? Or if you don't like it, does it kind of tarnish his other entries?

Here's a question- does NTTD make you love Craig's whole tenure even more? Or if you don't like it, does it kind of tarnish his other entries?

I would say it solidified it as the most successful run since the 60s for me, so I guess you could say "love the whole tenure more" or something to that effect. I did not like how SP tried to connect all the films, but I didn't let it tarnish the first three Craig films for me. Even though Craig's films are more connected than anything that came before, I'm able to look at each of them pretty separately, especially since NTTD is a "direct sequel" to SP but drastically different in so many ways. I know many disagree, but to me, it was a far more satisfying, blood-pumping ending to his saga than SP.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Or if you don't like it, does it kind of tarnish his other entries?

I liked the SP ending because it wrapped everything up nicely. Now it feels like they've spoiled it all.
    NTTD has tarnished the Craig era for me. That last shot of SP is how I'd have liked it all to end.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    What a thoughtful question, @chrisisall. And yes, NTTD cemented my appreciation and enjoyment of Craig's entire run. It really enriched everything for me, gave me a full story arc for once (which I don't need again), unique, special, all of those good things. It did cap things off very well for me. It enables me to connect and enjoy the other films he did even more.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

@chrisisall, It tarnished his other films for me to be honest. I'm not sure I'll ever bother watching them ever again. Shame really.
    I remember how nasty discussions got with @Perilagu_Khan when politics came into play, especially when it came to race like regarding African descent as intellectually inferior on genetic level.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

I liked NTTD so as far as I'm concerned, it wrapped up his tenure nicely. Tragic, and yet an epic way to go out. It's my 2nd fave of his 5.
    I'd say I like Craig's tenure even more.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    NTTD is the crowning jewel of my personal favorite era. It’s my second favorite out of Dan’s five so I couldn’t asked for more tbh.
    I’m overall so satisfied that I don’t feel sad that Dan’s run is over. On the contrary, NTTD made me extremely exited and curious for what’s coming next as well.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 988
    I thought the whole Vespa storyline ended perfectly in SP when Maddy echoed Vespa's lines about 'you can always change', and that's exactly what happened at the end with Bond's decision not to kill Blofeld, ('out of bullets').
    Can I help it if I like a happy ending?
    One more film later, they've killed off Felix, Blofeld, James Bond himself, Whoopie!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

A little of both. If I look at each one of his films individually, not as connective entries, then it doesn't. If I view each one as part 1 of 5, 2 of 5, etc knowing how it all ends then it slightly tarnishes it.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161

It makes me think less of his run as a whole. Though his first three are Top Ten or near material for me, and NTTD sits comfortably in the middle, the era taken as a whole piece sits lower for me. The forced continuity, the melodrama, the “arc”; I could have done without the big picture.
    Averaging my ranking placements would probably place his tenure second to the Connery/Lazenby Era. As a full run, at the bottom.