'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    There was a nod to DW in a recent episode of Doom Patrol. And of course, it features the fantastic Michelle Gomez.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    QBranch wrote: »
    There was a nod to DW in a recent episode of Doom Patrol. And of course, it features the fantastic Michelle Gomez.

Great show Season 3 airs here next week, looking forward to it after the abrupt end to Season 2. Doom Patrol at its best does great Sci Fi.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I saw that this thread had new replies, and though there had been major news. Then I remembered that we still have another year of this mess.

It's amazing how that news has basically rendered this new "season" (extended episode?, miniseries? idk??) essentially pointless.

It's not as if they're hiring RTD to just continue the plotline, we all know that in 1-2 years time, there will be a much better version of the program coming out with barely any ties to the last four years of episodes.

Yeah, I only got a few episodes into series 12 before giving up, and I’ll probably skip the new episodes too, but I’ll give it a watch when Russell T Davies comes back. Preferred the Steven Moffat ones on the whole, but he is a brilliant writer, and I think he’s gotten better and better since he left. I did like his Doctor Who, his name and Eccleston’s were why I started watching it. And I liked Queer as Folk and Second Coming too. But Years and Years and It’s a Sin are his best bits of work imo, he’s been on a real hot streak lately.

Do feel a bit sorry for the cast of this series though, in particular Jodie Whittaker. Personally, I don’t think she’s very good in the role. But from what I’ve seen of her on chat shows, she seems like a nice person who’s really happy to be on the show. It’s a shame that her sendoff has been so massively overshadowed (and that it’ll probably be as dire as the rest of this run has been).

It’s mental how badly they managed to screw up the first female Doctor really. There was so much buzz around the show again, but now it seems like less people care than ever. I’m guessing it’ll be another woman next (looks like they’re admitting defeat otherwise) so hopefully they get it right. I still think a female Doctor can work, just like a female Master did. They just need to make the show, you know, good.

I agree with every word of this; as someone else said in another thread: I could be speaking to my reflection.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I watched the trailer, and if left me cold. The current era is.... Fluxed. I don't think it could be salvaged without the major changes coming next year.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Twin Dilemma
    Is this story really bad, or does it look bad because it followed The Caves Of Androzani? I'm leaning towards the former, though the latter doesn't help. I like what they were aiming for, with The Doctor, but I think the execution missed the mark. And the Doctors fashion sense of fashion, oh lawd.... I am not anti JNT, but that man clearly should not have had a say on what the Doctor should wear, producer or not.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Doctor Who: Flux
    What the Flux was that :)) like I said before throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. What a mess

Jodie's Doctor does not use the sonic enough.

Doctor Who: Flux Episode 2. I have been highly critical of this era, though praise is due here. This reminded me of Classic Who, the Sontaron's were brilliantly realised. I recommend Flux.

Four episodes to go in this serial if they stick the landing this could be very good Who.
    For me, I feel as though any improvement would just be too little too late. I can’t muster up the enthusiasm to watch Flux.
    Well, I just watched the first episode, and...

Wow, what a rollercoaster that was. Almost too many things going on, and one hell of a cliffhanger. I'm getting the feeling I'm going to enjoy that ride.
    The second episode was also great. Is it me, or
    was the general an ancestor of Harriet Jones (dead prime minister, you know who she was) ?
    Best line : "Hit the road, Skaak !" Can't wait for the third part.
    All right, the third episode went in a lot of directions at the same time, an was in parts difficult to follow. Still good, though. And I really like
    Bel, played by Thaddea Graham. Not to mention the great performance of Craig Parkinson as the Great Serpent.
    Next : the mystery deepens.
    Flux Episode 3 waa good once I knew what was happening, I have a few theory's and I think an element or elements may have been taken from a 'rare' Seventh Doctor story.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I thought the third was pretty poor to be honest. Nothing happened apart from backstory.
    Some might say that is is better left forgotten, but 28 years ago tonight, the Doctor briefly returned from the wilderness in Dimensions In Time.

dimensions%2Bin%2Btime%2Bbanner.jpg
    edited November 2021 Posts: 23,105
    Some might say that is is better left forgotten, but 28 years ago tonight, the Doctor briefly returned from the wilderness in Dimensions In Time.

I last watched this a couple of years ago, context is everything though its still pretty terrible.

28 years ago Who fans were starved for anything Doctor related.

Whats worse Dimensions In Time or Peri's (Bryant's) vocals on the song Doctor in Distress ;))

I last watched this a couple of years ago, context is everything though its still pretty terrible.

Whats worse Dimensions In Time or Peri's (Bryant's) vocals on the song Doctor in Distress ;))

I've never listened to Doctor In Distress, I have only heard snippets. It did bring the show back, which then lead to the casting of McCoy, so I don't feel like I could complain about it.

I've never listened to Doctor In Distress, I have only heard snippets. It did bring the show back, which then lead to the casting of McCoy, so I don't feel like I could complain about it.

Very much tongue in cheek from me, the song did illustrate the strength of fan power.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    I thought the third was pretty poor to be honest. Nothing happened apart from backstory.
    Yeah, as someone who hasn't been a fan of the route DW has taken even since Series 10 (Series 9 was a personal favourite of mine), I've surprisingly been enjoying Flux so far but the third episode has definitely been the weakest. I have high hopes for the next episode as I often love when Doctor Who goes more into horror territory. It almost felt like a non-episode to me with too much going on. I understand what they were doing but it felt like a filler.

One thing that is frustrating me still is while I enjoy Jodie as an actress and feel she does the best with what she's given, but those scripts do let her down in that they always just have her just explain things as she's doing it, rather than creating a well-rounded, complex but understandable plot, that doesn't require a constant explanation from the main character.
    DW: Flux Episode 4 WOW that was some of the best DW I have ever seen in New Who.

That was amazing.
    Indeed. In the immortal words of Eleanor Shellstrop : HOLY MOTHER FORKING SHIRTBAGS !!! That's one heck of a cliffhanger. Probably the better since the beginnings of the series, back in 1963. And the next week teaser offers us the return of a character we missed, to boot. Yep, so far, that season has offered a fantastic rollercoaster ride.
    The ending blew my mind, I wonder if Moffat was consulted regarding said ending.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 13,882
    Today marks another anniversary, as 32 years ago tonight, episode 1 of Survival was shown.
    Today marks another anniversary, as 32 years ago tonight, episode 1 of Survival was shown.

It's been a while since I watched that Master episode, interestingly kind of related there is a character in Flux called the Grand Serpent which has me thinking.

HAPPY DOCTOR WHO DAY

Currently listening to Radio Free Skaro podcast they mentioned two actors that were in The Sea Devils appeared in Sundays The Village of the Angels.
    Next DVD, out in 2022 :

HAPPY DOCTOR WHO DAY

Currently listening to Radio Free Skaro podcast they mentioned two actors that were in The Sea Devils appeared in Sundays The Village of the Angels.

Well, I know, thanks to TVTropes that Kevin McNally had played in "The Twin Dilemna", and that Vincent Brimble was in "Warriors of the Deep". But I have no idea about the "Sea Devils" alumni.

Gerard wrote: »
    Next DVD, out in 2022 :

HAPPY DOCTOR WHO DAY

Well, I know, thanks to TVTropes that Kevin McNally had played in "The Twin Dilemna", and that Vincent Brimble was in "Warriors of the Deep". But I have no idea about the "Sea Devils" alumni.

Interesting I may have miss heard them or they got the episide wrong, Sea Devils is quite some time ago now. I will listen to that part of the podcast again.

Edited:
    Yes I miss heard they said one of the Sea Devils from Warriors of the deep and two actors from season 21.
    I started another run through of the Colin Baker era weeks ago. Continued it earlier that Attack Of The Cybermen and Vengeance On Varos, two really good examples of Colin's era.
    Next time trailer :

Oh, and Mrs. Doyle herself will play in the New Year Special :

https://doctorwho.tv/news/?article=doctor-who-returns-next-year-with-a-new-years-day-special
    Flux Episode 5 well I guess it was inevitable, that was an overstuffed mess and very disappointing after last weeks excellent episode.

The finale looks very predictable now, I have lost interest in this mini series.
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3694486/rob-zombies-munsters-first-look-igor-loyal-servant-beloved-family/

I love the thought of Sylvester working with Rob Zombie. Though I only know Zombie from his foul mouthed, violent, and all round trashy take on Halloween.

Now I want to see an parallel world where Zombie directed one of Sylvesters stories. The Doctor would be using the Hand of Omega in every direction. :))