Bond actors whose personas are most/least similar to them in real life?

M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
in Actors Posts: 538
It's commonly said that Moore was mostly playing himself.

Similar case with Brosnan: he was the handsome, urbane charming, polite, suit-and-tie gentleman in Bond just as he was in real life and other series. Though some of the more violent scenes were a bit out of his comfort zone.

For Lazenby, due to his lack of acting experience, he didn't really put on much of a persona; he was the ordinary-man Bond. But around that time, the counterculture happened, and he did have to portray himself as more old-fashioned and conservative than he actually was.

Connery; depends on the film and how much effort he wanted to put into it.

Dalton, while he played a more ruthless assassin take on the character, much of his mannerisms you see in interviews and the way he talks are still present in the Bond films. And some scenes have the stilted classical theatre acting feel to them.

Daniel Craig, however, by far, is the actor whose interpretation of Bond is the least similar to his real life persona. Even though he has a lot of superstar qualities and charisma in film, he comes off as humble, somewhat shy, etc. in interviews and public appearances. Even though his physique was praised, he's been bashful about it. He also can be goofy and have a lot of humor in real life, which he had to tone down for his role as Bond.

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    My first thought was definitely Lazenby. But yeah, I suppose the divergence between Bond and who Lazenby was/wanted to be is what ultimately led him to part ways with the franchise, as you say.
  • I’d probably say Connery, but even then, Terence Young had to mold those qualities into Sean when preparing for Dr. No. There’s a distinct difference between Pre-Bond Connery and Post-Bond Connery, so those qualities had to have stuck with him.
    Craig is not Bond.

Dot com.

More seriously, it always amazed me he never got a taste for better high quality clothes in real life. You often see him wearing stuff everyone buy.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Stamper wrote: »
    Craig is not Bond.

Dot com.

More seriously, it always amazed me he never got a taste for better high quality clothes in real life. You often see him wearing stuff everyone buy.

His casual clothes may look just that, but they are usually very expensive brands. Check out Whatsdanielwearing or something to that effect on Instagram.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    It's not quite what you asked, but I feel like Lazenby has the lifestyle most like a real life Bond. Wealth, cars, women, plus that confidence, often arrogance, but not without charm. He's a fascinating character.

More on topic, I would agree that Daniel is the the one who most has to change who he is to play Bond since he often comes across as shy and even a bit awkward in interviews. A testament to his abilities as an actor!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I never knew any Bond actors personally (I wish!) ... so cannot say anything definitive. Commenting on an actor's private life and personality, when all we know is from what is spoken/written publicly (even by their family or friends), is a bit tricky. Besides ... good actors can, well, act. ;)

So we just speculate. The only one I feel comfortable saying that probably much of the time his Bond persona reflected his own personality is Roger Moore. I say that because I have probably read more personal stories about him than the others. Just my 2 cents on this topic.
    I was speaking not on DC public appearances, more like when he is out to buy groceries.

On a funny note, a woman friend was eating, years ago, in a NY restaurant at the counter. Some guy next to her ask to the salt or mustard pot to be passed to him, she turns... and it's DC eating with a friend!

She said he was cool and gracious, she couldn't believe it.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited November 2021 Posts: 538
    Ryan wrote: »
    since he often comes across as shy and even a bit awkward in interviews. A testament to his abilities as an actor!

Yeah, he is awkward in interviews. But he's been kinda described as the life of the party when filming on set. It seems like he has traits of both an introvert and an extrovert. How outgoing he is could depend on factors.

Maybe how well he knows the person. Me personally, I'm a bit shy around newer people but extroverted around people I'm comfortable with.

Maybe based on the day, and what he's in the mood for. Some days we're more talkative than others, which is normal. I'm kinda that way too.

It could also be based on the who is interviewing him and what questions they're asking. It seems like Craig gives those laconic non-answers for the viral-memey Youtube type videos, but his interview with Bond Experience was great because it seemed like a genuine connection between an artist and a fan.