NO TIME TO DIE (2020) by Billie Eilish - Theme Song Discussion

1444546474850»

Comments

• edited October 2021 Posts: 6,682
    This song keeps growing on me. I really like it! I might even prefer it to all the other songs of the Craig era.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 538
    Here's a Weird Al Yankovich themed parody of the song. For anyone who remembers me a while back from another bond site, I used to do these.

No Time for Fries

I should've known
    My waist has grown
    Just goes to show
    That the pounds you eat
    Are now the pounds you own
    I wanted a pear
    But I saw Wendy's there
    Too much hunger to bear
    Work is my life
    But work is far away from fair
    Was I stupid to sleep late?
    Was I hangry as hell?
    Was it obvious to everybody else?

(chorus)
    Well, I've fallen cuz I'm high
    Wendy's rest stop at my side
    Was late once, was late twice
    Gotta get to work; it's 8:55
    Working hungry makes me cry
    There's just no time for fries!

Calories burn
    Food is no longer my concern
    But temptations from the past return
    If I stop for food, I'll be late for work

(chorus)
    Well, I've fallen cuz I'm high
    Wendy's rest stop at my side
    Was late once, was late twice
    Gotta get to work; it's 8:55
    Working hungry makes me cry
    There's just no time for fries!

This video showcases the wah-wah trumpets of the song. They sound really cool! Pity that they are not too noticeable in the final mix; in fact, I couldn't tell they were there before watching the video. Now I think I can hear them, barely, but they get lost amidst the strings and the other brass instruments.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    It's top five for me.

The vibe & lyrical content are especially apposite for NTTD and I love its use throughout the score.

Has everyone seen this:

• edited November 2021 Posts: 6,682
    Feyador wrote: »
    It's top five for me.

The vibe & lyrical content are especially apposite for NTTD and I love its use throughout the score.

Has everyone seen this:

Thank you very much for sharing; very interesting. Those 70s and 80s ballads (from Nobody Does It Better to All Time High) do move away from the typical Bond sound. I feel Moonraker is the most Bondian sounding of them.

As for NTTD, another tip of the hat to the Bond theme is that brass phrase one minute into the song, quoted verbatim from the theme of course. Also, I think the Bondian quality of that chord progression the woman points out is even more noticeable right when Billie Eilish begins singing (at 0:27 to be exact), as the voicing of the chords in the piano is such that you get to hear B-C-C# (the vamp) very clearly (well, in the instrumental version anyway).

I'm interested in Jon Burlingame's comment that the bebop has become more prominent than the guitar melody in the scores. Off the top of my head I can see his point. That said, I think the most important Bondian backbone of the scores these days is the vamp.

I love that they played a bit of the gunbarrel theme from Moonraker.
  • GBFGBF
    I am happy so many people like the song. I have never understood why. For me this is one of the most boring Bond songs and it lacks any memorable melody. I must admit that Sam Smith's song has grown on me a bit over time so maybe I will also think differently about NTTD in a few years.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Melody isn’t everything.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Have to say, I loved it on first hearing. Mind you, I'm one of those three people who loved Writing's On The Wall the first time they heard that, too!
  • The instrumental or tone of the song sounds very similar to Selina's Transformation from Batman Returns by Danny Elfman.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Well spotted - the long note that Billy holds at the end is close to something Siouxsie sings in Face To Face from that film too.
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    It doesn't work with a direct link in here so you have to open the video by clicking on the embedded one in the tweet.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2022 Posts: 40,370
    It's in my bottom five, sadly. I heard it only the once, I believe, before seeing the film, and while it works a lot better within the film (and I enjoy the ways Zimmer weaved it through the score), it's too cold and moody for me, especially after the disaster that is SP's title song. I hope we get something way more energetic and upbeat and exciting with the next one.

It's certainly way better than Sam Smith's attempt and I like some of the lyrics, but for the most part, it's not one to linger with me after the film's done.

Billie Eilish new single TV. It's nice. It starts slow, but then the lyrics hit hard on the 2nd verse and I love the mixing on the outro (has a Lana del Rey vibe).
    Billie Eilish is a legend just like Daniel Craig <3. I'm happy she got to be part of the greatest tenure in Bond history.