Have you noticed any bloopers in NTTD?

edited November 2021 in No Time To Die Posts: 214
I thought....wait a sec....young Maddy emptied her gun while shooting Safin but when he lumbers after her on the ice, I'm not seeing a lot of bullet-holes in his nice winter jacket....and don't tell me she missed....

Comments

Bond mouthing what Safin says. If you read his lips, he says word for word what Safin is saying. I still can’t believe they didn’t catch that. I noticed the first and the second time. There’s no mistake about it. It’s a terrible error.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Bloopers? Yeah, they made it look as though Bond died at the end. What? Oh, come on, someone had to say it first! Ok, I'll get my coat...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Bond mouthing what Safin says. If you read his lips, he says word for word what Safin is saying. I still can’t believe they didn’t catch that. I noticed the first and the second time. There’s no mistake about it. It’s a terrible error.

I noticed that too though I just assumed that was intentional for some reason or other. What the reason would be I couldn't say but I had to think they couldn't not have noticed that when they were filming or, at the very least, editing the film together.

There were a few other little odd moments in the film I felt too, mostly to do with Craig's performance as Bond. Craig did things in this film, in terms of delivery of dialogue, that I don't recall him doing in any of his other films, most especially in the scene with Blofeld in Belmarsh. Those aren't really bloopers of course but it did feel like he was playing Bond a bit differently in a few scenes; perhaps even doing things somewhat out of character for his iteration of Bond.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @Dragonpol Craig’s arms flailing around during the Blofeld scene was very out of character. I get why he was directed to do it, but it is still very odd.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I found that entire scene utterly bizarre. Craig made Waltz look very understated.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 12,837
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Those aren't really bloopers of course but it did feel like he was playing Bond a bit differently in a few scenes; perhaps even doing things somewhat out of character for his iteration of Bond.

I think this was probably intentional. Craig’s performance has always evolved with the films. We went from the hardened, caustic rookie of CR/QoS, to the grizzled older veteran of SF/SP. In NTTD I think we were seeing retirement Bond. Much more mature in more ways than one, and much more content to find the humour in things. Obviously he had funny moments before, but much of his performance in this one felt “lighter” to me, in a good way. He’s always been compared to Connery, but there were one or two moments in NTTD that reminded me of Moore. He’s older, wiser, and has that same confidence Moore had stemming from a life well lived. There is still pain there, he’s bottling up how he feels about Madeline. But he’s enjoying being back in the field and having something to live for again.

Most of the time that worked for me. I loved his dynamic with Paloma for example. I didn’t get any sexual tension between them at all, because he’s too old for her now. Just a playful mutual respect. When he beamed at her and said she was excellent, it reminded me of a dad being proud of his daughter. I thought that was a really fresh dynamic for Bond to have with a female agent, and Craig played it really well. I also loved the new sides to him that Mathilde bought out. But yeah, I have to agree on the Blofeld scene. Not sure what they were going for there. I think they were trying to channel Moore again with “so, there we were”, but then we had to suddenly shift to Bond seething with rage. The whole scene was one of the few weak parts of the film imo.
  • Bond mouthing what Safin says. If you read his lips, he says word for word what Safin is saying. I still can’t believe they didn’t catch that. I noticed the first and the second time. There’s no mistake about it. It’s a terrible error.

Malek was having trouble memorizing his lines. Craig was just lending a hand.

Malek was having trouble memorizing his lines. Craig was just lending a hand.

Could be but I thought that's what idiot boards are for! :)

I just thought it was to show Bond trying to verbally rationalise what Safin was saying as some of it was deep sounding, philosophical and other-worldly stuff.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I actually didn’t catch this in any of my four viewings.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 526
    Haha @Dragonpol. It’s exacerbated in magnitude because it’s such (or should have been) a tense scene. It really took me out of the moment. Be interesting to hear from someone in the know about exactly what happened there. To me, it’s a glaring mistake. And it does take away from the film.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Nope. Me neither.
    Oh yeah, it’s most definitely there. Near the end, when Safin is giving his “big baddie” speech. The camera pans to Bond, and if you read his lips, it’s exactly the same as what Safin says. Word for word. Incredibly awkward.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I’m not denying it’s there, just that I hadn’t noticed it yet. I’ll look out for it next time.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    Bloopers? Yeah, they made it look as though Bond died at the end. What? Oh, come on, someone had to say it first! Ok, I'll get my coat...

Beat me.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator

Nope. Me neither.

It throws me off every time, and I’ve seen the movie over 10 times now.

And I also agree about Craigs performance just dropping out here and there. He’s excellent in parts of this movie, but there are scenes where Bond is talking to Blofeld or Safin, or even M, where the delivery of the odd line just seems to come from a different character than the one we’ve known for 15 years.
    Birdleson wrote: »

Nope. Me neither.

And I also agree about Craigs performance just dropping out here and there. He’s excellent in parts of this movie, but there are scenes where Bond is talking to Blofeld or Safin, or even M, where the delivery of the odd line just seems to come from a different character than the one we’ve known for 15 years.

Agree with this @Birdleson. It was like his Bond was schizophrenic in this after I watched it again. It just didn’t feel like Daniel Craig as Bond to me. I felt a lot of Brosnan and Moore in this movie-zero Connery. And very little of DC Bond. I just wrote a detailed review of the film that covers this in the NTTD spoilers thread. Did you notice his mouthing Safin’s speech? But the big question: why didn’t he just be HIS Bond? Goodness. Sigh. What a mess of a movie.
    I have read he is actually mouthing words to Mathilde. Isn't it?

The only weird delivery I think is when Bond asks who has access at Belmarch.

Craig plays it like he is pissed, knowing what the answer will be, when he couldn't be?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Stamper wrote: »

Craig plays it like he is pissed, knowing what the answer will be, when he couldn't be?

I swear he mouths the words “be strong” to Mathilde during that chat.
  • Mallory wrote: »
    Stamper wrote: »

I swear he mouths the words “be strong” to Mathilde during that chat.

Not sure what exactly he says but even from my first (of about 9) viewings so far, I've always seen it as him mouthing to Mathilde, trying to re-assure her, a bit like he does when he first enters and tells her it's going to be alright etc., but this time muted as Safin is droning on. Not saying however it's NOT a blooper, maybe he was mouthing lines to Safin...but at the same time, even if it looks like he mouths the exact things Safin is saying, I would be not just surprised but genuinely shocked if it is actually a blooper. The attention to detail that has gone into this film just makes me think that there is no way on earth this would (if it's a blooper) have been missed by EVERYONE during all the editing/final cut processes etc. Just no way!

As I say though, to me it's always looked like he's just trying to calm the child, it even looks like he's looking more at her than Safin in my opinion.
    I thought it was him mouthing to Mathilde. I suppose it could actually be a blooper, but I find it hard to believe that no one caught it. Would be interesting to know the true answer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is that what folks are talking about? When he turns to Mathilde and mouths reassurance to her?
  • werrenwerren cape town
    Didn't catch any of them
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I don't think he was repeating Safin's words. I don't even think this was a blooper.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Is that what folks are talking about? When he turns to Mathilde and mouths reassurance to her?

If that's it, then it's not a blooper. As you say it's Bond reassuring Mathilde that everything is going to be okay.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Bond blowing up Primo's eye with the EMP and then immediatly talking to Q through the earpiece that was at best 30 cm away from the watch is a bit of an error.
    Maybe Q secures all of his technology against the offensive capabilities of his other technology, but that seems like a cop-out.

Also, not exactly a blooper, but Bond checking out Q's wine and just casually pouring himself and Moneypenny a glass is a real over-the-top dick move, when we consider that that bottle costs somewhere between 350 and 500 pounds. Apparently, Michael G. Wilson is a friend of the owner's of Château Angélus and they already had one of their wines in the train scene in CR (which also makes Bond's casual approach to it a bit weird. Wouldn't he remember this is the same wine, albeit a different vintage, he had when he first met Vesper?), but it's still a bit of a strange choice for what they do with it in the scene.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Also, not exactly a blooper, but Bond checking out Q's wine and just casually pouring himself and Moneypenny a glass is a real over-the-top dick move, when we consider that that bottle costs somewhere between 350 and 500 pounds. Apparently, Michael G. Wilson is a friend of the owner's of Château Angélus and they already had one of their wines in the train scene in CR (which also makes Bond's casual approach to it a bit weird. Wouldn't he remember this is the same wine, albeit a different vintage, he had when he first met Vesper?), but it's still a bit of a strange choice for what they do with it in the scene.

I think that's taking pettiness to a whole new level, to be honest!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

If that's it, then it's not a blooper. As you say it's Bond reassuring Mathilde that everything is going to be okay.

Yeah, if we're talking about two different instances of him mouthing in the same scene then maybe there's something there, but if it's just one then I recall him mouthing to Mathilde very clearly.

That sounds an incredibly Bond thing to do to me! :)

edited November 2021 Posts: 17,728
    Yes, now that you mention it Bond was mouthing words of reassurance to Mathilde. I caught that at the time bit had forgotten about it in the interim even though I've seen the film three times. I definitely don't think it was blooper. It has to be something more nuanced than that, even though it is obvious to see when you view the film.

I have a feeling that this film has a lot of hidden depths we've not yet explored fully. There was certainly a lot of thought put into it. Craig is surely too good an actor and Fukunaga too good a director for it to have been a blooper and not something that was actually written into the script or direction of the film.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,895
    Wear a three-grand suit with nonchalance, drink 500-quid wine like it's plonk. It's in the same lineage as Connery taking off the Turnbull & Asser shirt and just chucking it on the floor.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Birdleson wrote: »

Nope. Me neither.

I completely agree on this mate. Craig is my personal favourite Bond, but there are moments that are so out of character it took me out of the film. The ones you mentioned especially and few other moments.

I just wish he played it more like his Bond, less like Sir Roger or Pierce. Craig's Bond has a dry wit and darker sense of humour, that suits his Bond perfectly, when he makes a easy quip, it just doesn't land for me. It just reminds me there's 4 writers on this film, trying to have their own voice and Craig trying to be the definitive Bond instead of his own man.

The Blofeld scene should have been reshot or even cut out of the film quite honestly, it adds little, it feels rushed and ultimately anticlimactic for me