Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    mtm wrote: »
    You mean Matt Smith? Interesting idea.

american_psycho.jpg

He'd be better suited for David Dragonpol than James Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is that Never Send Flowers?
    He could be a good Scaramanga too.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2021 Posts: 17,729
    Is that Never Send Flowers?
    He could be a good Scaramanga too.

Yes, that's right. He's the villain of Never Send Flowers and my namesake here. One of the maddest Bond villains ever put to paper.

Scaramanga would be a good call too. The long, gaunt face is there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Funnily enough (considering we were just talking about him) we’ve got our answer as to whether Oscar Isaac can do a British accent

It’s a no :D
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    On the subject of potential American actors playing Bond... I always thought that Jon Hamm when he was slightly younger could have potentially pulled it off. His British accent from what I've heard was "just OK" though. He's obviously far too old now but he was fantastic as Don Draper in Mad Men.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Funnily enough (considering we were just talking about him) we’ve got our answer as to whether Oscar Isaac can do a British accent

It’s a no :D

To be fair, he's obviously doing a stereotypical east-end Jewish accent there.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jewish? Not sure about that, it's just a vague London one I'd say.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Have they made Moon Knight British in this one?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I haven't seen the trailer properly but I think he's maybe doing multiple personalities.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I haven't seen the trailer properly but I think he's maybe doing multiple personalities.

He has three alter egos in the comic books.
  • Harry Styles or Aaron Taylor Johnson. That's a prediction, not necessarily a wish. [-O<
    If they want to go that way, the only possible casting choice is Daniel Radcliffe.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I've been watching Foundation on Apple TV+. Expensive-looking, great cast, not particularly good overall, though, imo. Cassian Bilton, who plays Brother Dawn on the show, has been pretty good, but as he was sporting an American accent I assumed he was American; turns out he's British, and last episode he used his natural accent which made him sound colder and more ruthless. I think he's too young and inexperienced to even get an audition this time around, but he might be someone to keep an eye on for the future.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I watched Those Who Wish Me Dead over the weekend, starring Nicholas Hoult and I'm underwhelmed by him.

He doesn't seem mature enough, he doesn't carry himself in a very Bondian way and despite violent moments, including using a machine gun, he didn't look capable or convincing (aside from one intense sniper moment) he just strikes me as if he's a teenager and not a man.

In fairness that could be the role he's playing and I could be judging him too harshly, no doubt he's a great actor in everything I've seen him in and he'll probably be on the shortlist of candidates.

I will say if they cast him in the next two years, it would be gamble given his age and status
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,891
    All other things aside, his age and snd status are actually perfect. He’s well known but not a mega star, he’s not strongly linked to another franchise , and as far as age, he”ll be 32 next month; if cast its likely he would be at least 35 or 36 , perfect.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,483
    talos7 wrote: »
    All other things aside, his age and snd status are actually perfect. He’s well known but not a mega star, he’s not strongly linked to another franchise , and as far as age, he”ll be 32 next month; if cast its likely he would be at least 35 or 36 , perfect.

Thinking about it you're right mate, he has a very similar status to Daniel and even Pierce before getting the role.

I don't mean to be rude here, but he's one of the candidates that doesn't strike me as very manly or an alpha male, which I think is now vital after Daniel's portrayal. He seems too youthful in most of what I've seen him in, he's a great actor though
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude here, but he's one of the candidates that doesn't strike me as very manly or an alpha male, which I think is now vital after Daniel's portrayal.

It's a fair point. It will be interesting to see if he does anything like that soon.
    I wouldn't be surprised mate, admittedly it could simply be the role he's played that I've seen.
    I am being perhaps overly tough on him (which I don't mean to be, I think he's great) but I think he's one of very few actors we all agree at very least deserves a screentest
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,891

Thinking about it you're right mate, he has a very similar status to Daniel and even Pierce before getting the role.

I don't mean to be rude here, but he's one of the candidates that doesn't strike me as very manly or an alpha male, which I think is now vital after Daniel's portrayal. He seems too youthful in most of what I've seen him in, he's a great actor though

Not rude in the least. It’s a well thought out opinion presented in a respectable, reasonable way.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

Not rude in the least. It’s a well thought out opinion opinion presented in a respectable, reasonable way.

Yep, we could do with more of that.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

It's a very interesting point.
    I have been asking myself for a bit, whether that could be one of the points where the franchise zags a bit. After the blunt assassin that Craig was, to have a bit more of a debonair spy. Instead of focussing and speculating on which exact path through the UK Special Forces he took, maybe he hasn't actually spent a huge amount of time in the field with the Navy, but went into Defence Intelligence pretty quickly. Of course he would need to be able to handle himself in a fight. I don't mean he should be turned into a wimp, but I also don't think a 00 agent - or specifically James Bond - has to have Olympic athlete level physical abilities. There's more to it than that.

That doesn't get to the "youthful" part of your assessment, but I am wondering, if Craig's physicality is now a given, especially if the "competition" in the action film market is turning more and more into a Mr. Universe pageant with the likes of Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel, the various Chrises (Pratt, Evans, Pine etc.) or any kind of Hemsworth.
    Maybe that's the nerd in me, but wouldn't it be cool if in addition to the articles in Men's Health about how our guy got into physical shape there were stories about him studying "Scarne on Cards" and developing at least convincing accents in various different languages and so on.
  • [/b]

After the blunt assassin that Craig was, to have a bit more of a debonair spy. Instead of focussing and speculating on which exact path through the UK Special Forces he took, maybe he hasn't actually spent a huge amount of time in the field with the Navy, but went into Defence Intelligence pretty quickly. Of course he would need to be able to handle himself in a fight. I don't mean he should be turned into a wimp, but I also don't think a 00 agent - or specifically James Bond - has to have Olympic athlete level physical abilities. There's more to it than that.

Yes, I can see the series possibly going in that way, I certainly think that creativity can be a very reactionary process. I've sometimes thought of Bond as a civil servant who sometimes has to kill people as part of his job. There are moments in OHMSS where Lazenby has a playboy attitude to the job as if the perks were what attracted him to it in the first place.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    Tom Bateman was mentioned here, I checked out some of his clips and interviews and he may actually be a real contender.
    Looks like a handsome Roger Federer :-D

Very middle class Brit, typical Oxford (the town, not Uni) boy, comes across as intelligent and he looks more interesting than most others mentioned here - far more masculine and edgy than Hoult, for example.
    I’d have to see him in a role , but based on photos alone I do see him as Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2021 Posts: 14,861
    AceHole wrote: »
    Tom Bateman was mentioned here, I checked out some of his clips and interviews and he may actually be a real contender.
    Looks like a handsome Roger Federer :-D

Very middle class Brit, typical Oxford (the town, not Uni) boy, comes across as intelligent and he looks more interesting than most others mentioned here - far more masculine and edgy than Hoult, for example.

I've seen him in a few things and he's probably a bit ganglier than you might expect, and also he's just sort of fine, acting-wise. TV actor sort of thing, I've never been blown away by him. It doesn't mean he couldn't potentially do it of course, but I'd be a bit more likely to bet on film actors.
    I post this with the caveat that I was 22 when I took it, and I wouldn't want to be Bond *now* but rather in about a decade.

I post this with the caveat that I was 22 when I took it, and I wouldn't want to be Bond *now* but rather in about a decade.

No doubt EON will take note.
    ;)

Unfortunately I find this way too common nowadays: male actors don't look manly enough and they compensate by having either beards or stubble.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Like Brosnan did? It's just the fashion, it's not to compensate for anything.
    Don Johnson started a stubble trend in the 80’s; it’s cyclical.

What I find more frustrating are thin , unremarkable voices.

James is one of the exceptions