Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I would be happy if future features jumped around in time (no dinosaurs or aliens, I mean between the '50s, current day and everything in between). Can you imagine the next guy playing a contemporary Bond in his debut, followed (same actor) by a period piece? I would love that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would be happy if future features jumped around in time (no dinosaurs or aliens, I mean between the '50s, current day and everything in between). Can you imagine the next guy playing a contemporary Bond in his debut, followed (same actor) by a period piece? I would love that.

I wouldn t mind that at all. They could even take it a bit further in both directions.
  • Young Bond for me. I don't mean school days Bond but Royal Navy/SAS period.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,727
    Young Bond for me. I don't mean school days Bond but Royal Navy/SAS period.

This seems the logical sort of thing to do.... a real origin story, if you will (just being difficult - but if it were to stay in keeping with Bond's naval background that should be 'SBS', rather than 'SAS').

In any case I don't think Babs & MGW will go for a straight up standalone mission format in the vein of the GE 're-start'. If their track-record as producers is anything to go by they will want to shake it up (again), for better or worse...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I don't want more rookie Bond, depressed Bond, Bond in love, retired Bond, Bond going rogue etc. I just want the man back at the height of his powers on a mission for Queen and country. A story can have plenty of dramatic tension without involving Bond on a personal level. The fact that they keep making it about Bond shows a tremendous lack of originality, like a crutch. As Fleming Described it, Bond is a blunt instrument, a weapon of government, that's it. He can have moments of character and introspection, like he does in the books, without it taking centre stage, and distracting from the real world stakes. I feel like with SF, SP and B25 the villains plan lack any tangibility because instead of getting any real detail on them, we spend the time focusing on Bond and his relationships. I was really interested in the virus plot for Bond 25, as it seemed a bit more substantial than mere survelliance, but it never really manifested into anything in the actual movie. What was Safins plan, and his ultimate goal, or even his motivation for this? In the old days we had Goldfinger explain to the audience, and relish in describing, each step of genius scheme. That was one of the fun parts of a Bond film, seeing what the villain actually has up their sleeve, and it being slowly revealed until it makes sense, just in time for Bond to put a stop to it.
    I don't want more rookie Bond, depressed Bond, Bond in love, retired Bond, Bond going rogue etc. I just want the man back at the height of his powers on a mission for Queen and country. A story can have plenty of dramatic tension without involving Bond on a personal level. The fact that they keep making it about Bond shows a tremendous lack of originality, like a crutch.

I agree, but Babs & MGW don't have the creative vision to craft a Bond film without the crutch(es) you speak of.
    They feel they need to inject some melodramatic angle, or follow some cinematic cultural trend (Dark knight series, Bourne, avengers) to keep some kind of 'edge'

The fact that you can also create said 'edge' by getting a talented writing team to come up with a genuinely thrilling and well written plot & script doesn't seem to occur to them, for some reason.
    Any news on who may play the role next?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,351

No real news as far as I know not even a timeline other than "We'll think about it next year". But do join us in the "Who should/could be a Bond actor? *SPOILERS*"-thread for some reckless speculation and discussion of the various options.

Not to turn this thread into that thread, but to me it seems there is no clear front-runner at all. There are a couple of big-hitters, where it is unclear whether EON would even approach them and whether they would want it (let alone whether they'd be good in it) - Cavill, Hardy, Fassbender (aged out a bit), Hiddleston - and then you have kind of the second row, most of whom are a bit younger and less prolific, that is a wide open field - Aiden Turner, Nicholas Hoult, Tom Bateman, Richard Madden, Regé-Jean Page, James Norton, Jack O'Connell and many others. Personally, I think it is most likely that the next Bond will come out of that second bunch - someone we've heard of, but isn't yet a massive star - but who out of them it is going to be is completely up in the air.

Edit: I forgot Theo James in that second grouping. He is getting a bit of buzz at the moment.
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    Would Dev Patel be in the running? Think he’d be an amazing charismatic charmer

No real news as far as I know not even a timeline other than "We'll think about it next year". But do join us in the "Who should/could be a Bond actor? *SPOILERS*"-thread for some reckless speculation and discussion of the various options.

Not to turn this thread into that thread, but to me it seems there is no clear front-runner at all. There are a couple of big-hitters, where it is unclear whether EON would even approach them and whether they would want it (let alone whether they'd be good in it) - Cavill, Hardy, Fassbender (aged out a bit), Hiddleston - and then you have kind of the second row, most of whom are a bit younger and less prolific, that is a wide open field - Aiden Turner, Nicholas Hoult, Tom Bateman, Richard Madden, Regé-Jean Page, James Norton, Jack O'Connell and many others. Personally, I think it is most likely that the next Bond will come out of that second bunch - someone we've heard of, but isn't yet a massive star - but who out of them it is going to be is completely up in the air.

Edit: I forgot Theo James in that second grouping. He is getting a bit of buzz at the moment.

Thanks for the info. I will check that thread out.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don't think EON will go for a period piece Bond film, set in the 50's or 60's. Just doesn't seem like an approach they'd go for. Makes the villains more than likely of Russian decent, and for the most part Bond villains are apolitical.
    I'm certainly up for a straight forward mission without the going rogue, one man army, making it personal or such like. But then we also run the risk of being any other generic action film. Aside from the gadget laden DB5, one of the aspects of NTTD that I liked, was that for the most part the action was mostly believable. EON aren't competing with the likes of MI and Tom Cruise, doing some insanely dangerous stunt. Even though the Bond films are renowned for such action set pieces. And I wouldn't mind if they did bring them back. But I can also understand why they'd go a different route.
    One thing, I hope they do with the next Bond is retire the DB5.
    It's served the series well, and been a joy to see. But it's time to let it go. Let it retire with dignity.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Benny wrote: »
    I don't think EON will go for a period piece Bond film, set in the 50's or 60's. Just doesn't seem like an approach they'd go for. Makes the villains more than likely of Russian decent, and for the most part Bond villains are apolitical.
    Plus just on a budget front it means spending a lot more money (you can't just get classic cars to smash up like you can new ones; even something like getting a period train or plane like in GF or FRWL will cost more than it did even back then etc.) or making everything look a little less impressive, losing a fair chunk of product placement etc. etc. And frankly it makes Bond just that little bit less relevant to the audience. I don't see what you gain by it, but you make life a lot harder for the makers of it. Plus you're really inviting direct comparison with Connery and Adam and the style of the Bond films of the 60s.
    This is a very tangential question, but what do you consider the end of Craig's tenure? When NTTD was released? When it leaves cinemas? When a new guy is announced or when the first film with a new actor is released? Or somewhere in between there?
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    This is a very tangential question, but what do you consider the end of Craig's tenure? When NTTD was released? When it leaves cinemas? When a new guy is announced or when the first film with a new actor is released? Or somewhere in between there?

2021 is the last year Craig will appear in a new film and he's already resigned from the role so his tenure officially ends when the year ends.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'd agree with that. Or when he stops the talk show circuit or ends promoting the film.
    Of course the role will continue to follow him around for the rest of his life.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 539
    I suppose you could alternatively go by the actual time spent as the incumbent, which for Dalton and Brosnan, continued for a few years after they made their last movie, but whichever way you look at it, Craig's number is up as soon as the year is finished. Come 2022, we will be officially Bondless.
    I suppose you could alternatively go by the actual time spent as the incumbent, which for Dalton and Brosnan, continued for a few years after they made their last movie, but whichever way you look at it, Craig's number is up as soon as the year's finished. 2022 we will be officially Bondless.

See, I feel like Bond is a bit like the British sovereign, only the other way around. The second the King or Queen dies, their heir immediatly becomes King or Queen. Even if it takes a bit until they are officially crowned, they are the sovereign from that moment on.
    For Bond, I feel like an actor is the incumbent Bond up until a successor is announced. There is no such thing as a Bondless year. If you ask somebody in 2022 "Who is James Bond?" they will say "Daniel Craig" (or any of the other actors if they are so inclined...).
    I suppose you could alternatively go by the actual time spent as the incumbent, which for Dalton and Brosnan, continued for a few years after they made their last movie, but whichever way you look at it, Craig's number is up as soon as the year's finished. 2022 we will be officially Bondless.

See, I feel like Bond is a bit like the British sovereign, only the other way around. The second the King or Queen dies, their heir immediatly becomes King or Queen. Even if it takes a bit until they are officially crowned, they are the sovereign from that moment on.
    For Bond, I feel like an actor is the incumbent Bond up until a successor is announced. There is no such thing as a Bondless year. If you ask somebody in 2022 "Who is James Bond?" they will say "Daniel Craig" (or any of the other actors if they are so inclined...).

A very quaint and charming interpretation. Not meant sarcastically :)
  • This is a very tangential question, but what do you consider the end of Craig's tenure? When NTTD was released? When it leaves cinemas? When a new guy is announced or when the first film with a new actor is released? Or somewhere in between there?

The year of an actor's last Bond film.

When I say 'Bondless year' I mean more when viewed in retrospect, I don't expect anyone to actually answer the question 'Who is James Bond?' with 'nobody' until the next actor is announced, but we will look back on 2022 as a year between two actor's tenures, with no actor signed and no film in production. Also, considering how NTTD ends it would be a bit strange to call it part of the Craig era when the finality of the ending makes such a clear statement that the Craig era is over, both in terms of story and Craig's contract.
    its not secret EON jumps on trends the question is what is the next big trend to jump on

well looking at different tends we have

timeline bending, With Halloween and the time travel of the last avengers film joke all you want but could we see Dalton return and be de-aged for his third film? no obviously not but it wouldn't be entirely out of the realm of possibility

I am struggling what other big events are happening within the world of cinema and what other trends are happening.

There is the idea of monsters and mythical creatures with Godzilla being popular so maybe the Giant Squid part of Doctor No can finally be adapted?

just spit balling

Risico007 wrote: »
    its not secret EON jumps on trends the question is what is the next big trend to jump on

well looking at different tends we have

timeline bending, With Halloween and the time travel of the last avengers film joke all you want but could we see Dalton return and be de-aged for his third film? no obviously not but it wouldn't be entirely out of the realm of possibility

I am struggling what other big events are happening within the world of cinema and what other trends are happening.

There is the idea of monsters and mythical creatures with Godzilla being popular so maybe the Giant Squid part of Doctor No can finally be adapted?

just spit balling

Well, they've already tried the connected storyline over multiple films. That has been a thing for quite some time. Marvel didn't invent the stinger to set-up a trilogy, although they have probably perfected it. Bond never did the stinger thing (or did "James Bond Will Return" actually invent it?!?), but the connected storyline has of course been a thing for Craig-Bond.

In the action film area, you have a move towards kinetic, "realistic" action with long take scenes. John Wick, Atomic Blonde, Extraction, The Raid. Generally, films being directed by former stuntpeople. The staircase scene in NTTD is an example of Bond going there as well.

The comic book franchises are all moving towards variations of a multi-verse, meaning dead character can return and characters can be played by various different actors, possibly even in the same film. In a literal sense, Bond will never go there. In a meta sense, it has always been a multiverse and the end of NTTD made it very clear that the next iteration of the character is going to be seperate from at least the Craig one. So again, something they are already in on.

Another huge trend is re-using IP. I've heard industry insiders saying that basically about every film, TV show book, podcast or whatever you've ever heard of there has been or soon will be a meeting discussing whether it can be turned into a new show, rebooted, whatever. 95% of these don't go anywhere, but that is the absolute dominant form of development in Hollywood at the moment. And Bond of course is based on pre-existing IP and is both an adaptation of a succesful book series and a constant re-boot of itself. So we have that box ticked as well.

I feel like there has been a lot of space stuff recently, but I don't really see them doing another Moonraker.
    More fantasy and humour is how I would expect current trends to influence the next few films, but with the added character drama we've come to expect with the Craig era and other action films of the past 20 to 30-years. Essentially everything we got in NTTD.
  • More fantasy and humour is how I would expect current trends to influence the next few films, but with the added character drama we've come to expect with the Craig era and other action films of the past 20 to 30-years. Essentially everything we got in NTTD.

Yeah, I think the Craig era has done a very good job of moving with the times, and I don’t really get the “Craig is no fun” criticism that we’ve been seeing more of lately. I was on that bandwagon too until 2012, but the last three films have been pretty perfect tonally imo. Plenty of humour, but nothing cringeworthy. OTT villains and some gadgets, but nothing too naff looking. And even when they went as old school and spy-fi as they did in NTTD, there was still a real feeling, human Bond at the centre of it.

I suppose we’ve had a few downer endings now, and I’d like a more straightforward mission for a change. They could probably move away from the realistic aesthetic now that Craig is gone too (Saffin’s henchmen could’ve done with some jumpsuits imo). But I’ve had a lot of fun with the last few films, so I don’t really get the narrative that they’re depressing/boring. Do people really want the groan worthy one liners and contrived gadgets Brosnan had to deal with back?
  • baerrttbaerrtt United kingdom
    More fantasy and humour is how I would expect current trends to influence the next few films, but with the added character drama we've come to expect with the Craig era and other action films of the past 20 to 30-years. Essentially everything we got in NTTD.

Yeah, I think the Craig era has done a very good job of moving with the times, and I don’t really get the “Craig is no fun” criticism that we’ve been seeing more of lately. I was on that bandwagon too until 2012, but the last three films have been pretty perfect tonally imo. Plenty of humour, but nothing cringeworthy. OTT villains and some gadgets, but nothing too naff looking. And even when they went as old school and spy-fi as they did in NTTD, there was still a real feeling, human Bond at the centre of it.

I suppose we’ve had a few downer endings now, and I’d like a more straightforward mission for a change. They could probably move away from the realistic aesthetic now that Craig is gone too (Saffin’s henchmen could’ve done with some jumpsuits imo). But I’ve had a lot of fun with the last few films, so I don’t really get the narrative that they’re depressing/boring. Do people really want the groan worthy one liners and contrived gadgets Brosnan had to deal with back?

The Craig era would never have done the worldwide box office it achieved if general audiences thought they weren't fun. NTTD topping the WW box office over 3 of the 4 MCU movies this year and the campier likes of F9 and the Venom sequel speaks volumes.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 154
    I know EON are fond of current pop culture and movie trends. If Spielberg’s WEST SIDE STORY does well, I fear we’ll have a series of Bond musicals — no plot, just revue. I would just appreciate a new Bond film with M (whoever plays him/her) looking up at the camera and growling, “Well, now that you’re dead, I expect to get some honest work out of you.”
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    My actor for the next 007 would be Aidan Turner. And if the story to be told in BOND 26 is about a young James Bond, his passage through the British Royal Navy to become a 00 agent, then it would be Fionn Whitehead or Harry Styles.

:)>-
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 207
    My actor for the next 007 would be Aidan Turner. And if the story to be told in BOND 26 is about a young James Bond, his passage through the British Royal Navy to become a 00 agent, then it would be Fionn Whitehead or Harry Styles.

I'm hoping it's not Harry Styles or Tom Holland.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Zarozzor wrote: »

I'm hoping it's not Harry Styles or Tom Holland.

I agree, they’re too young. And in Tom Holland’s case at least, too overexposed. Maybe as Q, though.