Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    That sounds awesome. I can’t wait for a trailer for the next one sometime early next year or whenever. I need to see what they’ve come up with.

Me too. The sooner the better.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    When Cruise calls it a day as Ethan Hunt he will do it in style and leave the audience cheering.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Interestingly last week (I think it was) someone was at Duxford last week and posted that both Cruise and Harrison Ford were there, up in old planes.
    The Ford thing seemed a little unlikely as he'd been filming overnight in London the night before; but it's not, ahem, impossible.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    mtm wrote: »
    Interestingly last week (I think it was) someone was at Duxford last week and posted that both Cruise and Harrison Ford were there, up in old planes.
    The Ford thing seemed a little unlikely as he'd been filming overnight in London the night before; but it's not, ahem, impossible.

pointing-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

Nice 🥂
    I can't wait to know more about MI7, it'll be interesting to see how they top Fallout
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd be amazed if they managed to top Fallout, but if there's one team who can pull it off, it's McQuarrie, Cruise and co.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Heh! Here it is:

I guess maybe he did his bit quickly and the paps missed him, or maybe the lady tweeting got her wires crossed.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,599
    A stunt with a Stearman fits in perfectly with a stunt with a steam train, recalling the classic, stylish "North by Northwest" era. (anyone remember this?) The MI team could make it even better....(Hyams could have produced a great Bond...I digress)

edited November 2021 Posts: 40,372
    talos7 wrote: »

That could've been great - like the article says, inducing whiplash in the viewer through shock over the actor's appearance, only to deliver even more shock when they're so quickly killed off - but Liang Yang absolutely killed it with his talents and expertise and I wouldn't want that scene any other way than what we got.

Given how prominent the fight was in some of the trailers and marketing, I'm guessing that surprise wouldn't have worked out for very long had they gone with an A-lister.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it's a really fun idea but for how the scene turned out I think a stunt guy was pretty much the only way to go.
    I really hope we get another fight scene akin to the bathroom one in the newest installment. That's one of my favorite moments from Fallout.
    A great use of a prominent actor who is unexpectedly eliminated for effect was Steven Seagal in “ Executive Decision “
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think the most recent series of Line of Duty on BBC One had the best variant of that I've seen so far: a very well-known UK TV actor (Jimmy Nesbitt) was introduced as a suspect in a case via his mugshot appearing on a screen, so everyone watching thought 'oh there's James Nesbitt: his character clearly did it then!', but by the time his character actually turned up onscreen he was already a corpse and he never actually appeared in a single scene! :D
    edited November 2021 Posts: 40,372
    I'll spoiler tag this, in case you don't want to see what insane stunts Tom's getting up to for M:I8, but this one is truly wild:
    I'll spoiler tag this, in case you don't want to see what insane stunts Tom's getting up to for M:I8, but this one is truly wild:

Man's a hero. I just hope lady luck keeps smiling to him.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    60 year old actor in an 80 year old plane; that, is old school.

For the next Indiana Jones film they're going to put an 80 year-old actor in a 60 year-old plane.
    How many times can one man leave you breathless?

That looks pretty good. Looking forward to seeing it in the finished film.

talos7 wrote: »
    60 year old actor in an 80 year old plane; that, is old school.

For the next Indiana Jones film they're going to put an 80 year-old actor in a 60 year-old plane.
    :))

I can see the tagline now: The first time he was out there was just a warm-up for this.

Can't wait for these films to come out.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,343
    Tom is a legend but for the first time in Fallout I started finding him slightly too out of place for that. I fear in M:I 7-8 he will look too old for all the crazy stuff they will come up with. At least to me. He's walking on a thin line between being cool and being inappropriate. It's starting to feel like some kind of extremely well made parody.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    matt_u wrote: »
    Tom is a legend but for the first time in Fallout I started finding him slightly too out of place for that. I fear in M:I 7-8 he will look too old for all the crazy stuff they will come up with. At least to me. He's walking on a thin line between being cool and being inappropriate. It's starting to feel like some kind of extremely well made parody.

This could have been an argument if he didn t actually do it himself.

The fact that he's still able to do a stunt doesn't mean he automatically looks cool in it. In Fallout they even started, for the first time, playing a little with the notion that it's becoming more difficult to him to do this stuff.

I'm not quite into all this Cruise cult. Those films really started feeling like some hard Tom Cruise hagiography. Ethan Hunt was a character once. Now he just plays himself.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

The fact that he's still able to do a stunt doesn't mean he automatically looks cool in it. In Fallout they even started, for the first time, playing a little with the notion that it's becoming more difficult to him to do this stuff.

Oh I don't know: Ghost Protocol was probably the first one that did that- he didn't want to climb up the Burj and it went wrong for him. And that carried into Rogue Nation too.
    I trust your memory better than mine regarding those films.
    so qwe still dnt have the title for the 7th film
    Risico007 wrote: »
    so qwe still dnt have the title for the 7th film

Hopefully we find out soon and get our first look by early February.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I can't wait to see how they top Fallout. The fact it's a two parter as well. Hopefully the finale isn't the death of Hunt
    Well maybe they won't top it.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 644
    MOD EDIT: NTTD spoilers have been spoiler tagged.
    It’s amazing how strong Ethan Hunt is going as an action hero while Bond gets scraped by some piece of glass by the villain and infected and as a result has to “suicide” himself. Lol!!! Oh how the mighty have fallen.

The M:I series just gets stronger while Bond continues to flounder. It’s telling that the Craig films (with the exception of CR and SF) are at the very bottom of the series, below the likes of DAF, AVTAK, TMWTGG, MR and the Brosnan films. Even below NSNA.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    MOD EDIT: NTTD spoilers have been spoiler tagged.
    It’s amazing how strong Ethan Hunt is going as an action hero while Bond gets scraped by some piece of glass by the villain and infected and as a result has to “suicide” himself. Lol!!! Oh how the mighty have fallen.

The M:I series just gets stronger while Bond continues to flounder. It’s telling that the Craig films (with the exception of CR and SF) are at the very bottom of the series, below the likes of DAF, AVTAK, TMWTGG, MR and the Brosnan films. Even below NSNA.

It's only telling if you explain how they're defined as being at the bottom :D
  • MOD EDIT: NTTD spoilers have been spoiler tagged.

For whom? Box office, critics', and general audience ratings sites indicate otherwise. The films may be divisive to parts of the fandom, but they offer a lot to dissect and discuss which probably can't be said about the M:I franchise.