NO TIME TO DIE- is it divisive?

Comments

• Draco20Draco20 USA
    I liked it and never felt like the movie was two hours and 45 minutes. I was so engaged and enjoying it.
    I think that over time the negatives will come around and find an appreciation for the movie and the bold ending.
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Definitely positive!

However, whenever there is a new Bond film out, there is a natural enthusiasm as people have such pent up excitement. I recall all the Craig films from QOS to SP being lauded initially by fans before a backlash kicked in. Granted the backlashes were never unilateral, but negative sentiment takes time to manifest. For this reason, I think - inevitably - NTTD will become one of the most divisive films of the entire canon.

It'll be a film that in 20-30 years time people will say is their new favourite in the series and folk will say "Really?" I think OHMSS had that reputation in the 1990's before before now being accepted as a classic. The most recent example is The Last Jedi. That film's negative response was quite instantaneous. However, I think with many fans and casual viewers it's considered the best Star Wars film.

star-wars-star-wars-the-last-jedi.gif

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The Last Jedi is pure garbage. I almost threw up in the theatre.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I think it's too close to judge whether it's divisive personally. It hasn't been out a month yet, let it sit for a few years and that'll be a better measure.

I remember initially adoring Spectre and hating Quantum on first few viewings. Now in time my opinion on both has changed drastically
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I think it's too close to judge whether it's divisive personally. It hasn't been out a month yet, let it sit for a few years and that'll be a better measure.

I remember initially adoring Spectre and hating Quantum on first few viewings. Now in time my opinion on both has changed drastically

@Jordo007 Time definitely does have an effect on how films are perceived. I used to like Moonraker, but now I can’t watch it. Same with the Brosnan Bonds. That has been my biggest change. I used to enjoy them, but after Craig became Bond, I couldn’t even begin to watch them anymore. Strange, but true.
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    There are some aspects of the movie that may be divisive. But on a whole, it seems like people enjoy it.

Agreed I enjoy most of the film so I would say positive but there are parts I hate
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy

Right now its divisive

Not so much the quality of the movie itself, but the concept of James Bond being killed

Obviously the longer time goes on, and the more subsequent Bond movies are created, the less divisive it will be

I think it's possible to compartmentalise the movie itself from the idea of Bond dying
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Seve wrote: »

Right now its divisive
    Among a minority of Bond fans it appears. I don't think this film is as divisive as you think once we get outside the bubble of this fandom.
    Minion wrote: »
    Seve wrote: »

Right now its divisive
    Among a minority of Bond fans it appears. I don't think this film is as divisive as you think once we get outside the bubble of this fandom.

I’d say the film isn’t as divisive with fans and casual cinema goers as the idea of Bond dying.Leaving the theatre,there was definitely a sense of just leaving a funeral with the audience I was with

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Honestly the audiences I was with were upbeat which matched my feelings. When I did wait out the end credits for the Bond Will Return notice, there was applause.

The ending was thrilling and satisfying in good ways, not downbeat or defeatist or despairing. It wasn't presented as a downer and I didn't take it that way in the slightest.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2021 Posts: 8,009
    Both screenings I attended had audiences that were fairly muted in their response to the ending, also. That doesn't mean it's not a good or satisfying ending on it's own terms, of course, but it's absolutely not an upbeat ending.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 12,914
    I'm sure part of my reaction is the love song "We Have All the Time in the World" at film's end, such a joy to hear it unleashed there. Different than its previous (and epic) use, the dragons are slain and a happy future awaits the survivors. Bond made it count, and he had the good life mentioned in the dialog.

All a matter of perspective I guess.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm sure part of my reaction is the love song "We Have All the Time in the World" at film's end, such a joy to hear it unleashed there. Different than its previous (and epic) use, the dragons are slain and a happy future awaits the survivors. Bond made it count, and he had the good life mentioned in the dialog.

All a matter of perspective I guess.

I really like your perspective here.
    Yeah, see - while I really liked the ending for what it was, that final scene was abysmally corny (with Seydoux's delivery of that line particularly bad) and the song choice felt very wrong to me.
    Song choice felt fine to me, I liked it, but I agree I don't love her delivery on that line.
    Song choice felt fine to me, I liked it, but I agree I don't love her delivery on that line.

It's not something that by itself would make the film divisive either, to be fair!
    Yeah, see - while I really liked the ending for what it was, that final scene was abysmally corny (with Seydoux's delivery of that line particularly bad) and the song choice felt very wrong to me.

What was wrong with the delivery??
    NTTD is and will continue to be the most divisive Bond film ever made. It’s the nature of this film’s beast. Eventually it will be as significant and talked about as Never Say Never Again.
    Or OHMSS.
    Or OHMSS.
    In 10 years ... remember our bet
    ;)
    jobo wrote: »

Extremely flat.
    History isn't kind to men who slag Bond.

Extremely flat.

Don't agree at all. I thought it was very well done.

Extremely flat.

That's fair enough. I found it very cheesy, myself. The previous scene with M and the MI6 crew was far more touching, I think.

Extremely flat.

That's fair enough. I found it very cheesy, myself. The previous scene with M and the MI6 crew was far more touching, I think.

Hm, so it was flat and cheesy at the same time? Ok...

Extremely flat.

Hm, so it was flat and cheesy at the same time? Ok...

Err, yeah. Is it not possible for a line delivery to be flat within a cheesy scene, no?
    Going forward, I think the franchise needs to eliminate the cheesy, campy comedy. And some of the one-liners and quips can be so forced at times.
    Going forward, I think the franchise needs to eliminate the cheesy, campy comedy. And some of the one-liners and quips can be so forced at times.

Agreed. If it's good and done sparingly then fine, but the cheap or bad ones just need to go. The humor in the early films was more dark and the really serious scenes didn't need one. Then they let them run rampant in the early '70s and throughout the Moore era and it seems fated from there.

I've seen some people complain about Dalton and Craig's way with the lines but I think it just shows they aren't always appropriate and, as you say, often forced.
  • I agree that camp has no place in a modern day Bond film, but I also don’t want the humor and fantastical aspects to disappear completely, it’s part of what makes the films fun after all. In that aspect, I think the filmmakers should go for the tone and style of the Terence Young films going forward.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    My opinion of NTTD is still overall positive, but it has too many weaknesses to remain in my top 10:
    1. Having to wrap up the stupid Blofeld/Spectre story.
    2. Logan Ash as a traitor was totally obvious
    3. Ana de Armas was criminally underused
    4. The female 007 feels forced
    5. Romance between Craig and Madeline isn't fully developed, or lacks chemistry.
    6. Safin's motivations are poorly unexplained
    7. Safin's 60's era plot of world domination is outdated, compared to other Craig era villains that are more unique and relevant in today's world.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    M16_Cart wrote: »
    My opinion of NTTD is still overall positive, but it has too many weaknesses to remain in my top 10:
    1. Having to wrap up the stupid Blofeld/Spectre story.
    2. Logan Ash as a traitor was totally obvious
    3. Ana de Armas was criminally underused
    4. The female 007 feels forced
    5. Romance between Craig and Madeline isn't fully developed, or lacks chemistry.
    6. Safin's motivations are poorly unexplained
    7. Safin's 60's era plot of world domination is outdated, compared to other Craig era villains that are more unique and relevant in today's world.

I think they need to move away from the traitor angle in general. It's like these latest installments have desperately needed to have a traitor in the midst, and it's almost always painfully obvious who it is. Did anyone really think C was anything but a bad guy the second he met Bond in M's office? Even ignoring the spoilers in the trailers, did anybody buy that Ash was going to be a good, friendly chap here? It's unnecessary. I love Ash as a character, though, and I'm glad his betrayal doesn't take too long to arrive.