Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm pleased for her, congratulations. This won't stop her with Skyfall though, so great news all round.
    Damn, having a kid at 24. Seems so young these days.
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Its already July 1st.. 5 more months till the movie is released and still no word as to who is doing the song? Maybe there won't be a singer at all.. It will probably be instrumental just like how it was for FRWL and DN...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    imranbecks wrote:
    Its already July 1st.. 5 more months till the movie is released and still no word as to who is doing the song? Maybe there won't be a singer at all.. It will probably be instrumental just like how it was for FRWL and DN...

And OHMSS...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I do hope it is not instrumental, much as I appreciate that. Not for the theme song, please. But I really wished they would tell us more NOW. Geez.
    I think by this stage they obviously know already and are just keeping it under wraps for maximum publicity.

Mendes takes a close interest in his soundtracks. He got Alexi Murdoch (a wild card possibility?) in to write songs for Away We Go, many of which were excellent. The American Beauty soundtrack is almost a classic. I think whoever does it, it's going to be a good effort. Mendes is the sort of person who is going to care (a lot) about every aspect of the movie and he will want his Bond movie to have a classic theme.

That said, the accoustic idea is interesting. I just don't think EON would allow it. They need a song so that it gets airtime on the radio and attracts publicity.
    Getafix wrote:
    I think by this stage they obviously know already and are just keeping it under wraps for maximum publicity.

That said, the accoustic idea is interesting. I just don't think EON would allow it. They need a song so that it gets airtime on the radio and attracts publicity.

I am fairly sure the song has already been recorded, and after the quality of the last effort by Mr. White anything will be a big improvement.
    I would love to hear a new Adele song especially if it is also one of my favirite franchises. But have faith that it won't be as bad as the last attempt by who-ever it is. (as long as it is not by some HipHop gang, then 007's remark from GF comes to mind. You know the earmuffs)

• Alan007 wrote:
    I would like the title song to be co wrote or written by Newman so that it can be lighty incorporated into the soundtrack throughout the film and also a return to a different song over the credits instead of another bond theme or remix of the title song

That's the ideal scenario. The title song should always be as least co-written by the main composer, or at least approved. That first song we hear gives the movie a sense of identity, that was a Barry hallmark and it works in every Bond movie where the formula has been found. Arnold was able to overcome that in TND because Surrender was often used in cues, it just didn't register until the end credits how it influenced the overall effort. Instances where the title song hasn't been used at all (LTK, GE, DAD, and most of QOS) have been a mixed bag to say the least, and I hold out hope that EON will allow the composer (Newman at this time) and not the studio to have control of future decisions.

imranbecks wrote:

Check out earlier pages..

It's been posted that the common thing with the recent Bond entries is to release the news of the title singer in July..
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    imranbecks wrote:

Check out earlier pages..

It's been posted that the common thing with the recent Bond entries is to release the news of the title singer in July..

Cool.. Lets hope we get something as in regards to the opening theme anytime this month :-)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    More AWTD hate, the Bond series were lucky to get Jack White's involvement, the song would have been much better without Keye's involvement.

I look forward to hear what Adele delivers.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Shardlake wrote:
    More AWTD hate, the Bond series were lucky to get Jack White's involvement, the song would have been much better without Keye's involvement.

Actually, White wrote the thing, so cutting him out of the picture seems to be the real improvement.
    Shardlake wrote:

Actually, White wrote the thing, so cutting him out of the picture seems to be the real improvement.

AWTD will probably never be regarded as a classic but it's far from the worst. The song and orchestration aren't that bad. The execution of the vocals is perhaps debateable though.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
    Well, I want the Bond songs with the same name as movies :/

Yes, we all did at one time or another. :)
    I remember thinking, as I went in to see Octopussy "Hmmm. How on earth are they going to put that title in a song?!" - chuckle ... and of course they didn't.
    Shardlake wrote:

While I'll admit it's probably the least impressive thing he's done in his career and compared to his best is sub standard. Both TND & TWINE put me to sleep with those title themes, must be 2 of the worst in the series history. For all it's faults AWTD starts the film of with a jolt.

AWTD is still considerably better than TND, TWINE & DAD.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Another Way to Die had a lot of potential, those first seconds are absolutely astounishing! It's when they start to sing that it goes wrong, the instrumental part is great. In my opinion is not the worst Bond-song ever. I would suggest, however, to keep this on-topic. So, Adele. She is not my favourite for the task but if she does indeed get announced I'll be glad. I like her a lot and if the song is good [-O< I bet she will make a good job. However I've been remembering when QoS title song was to be announced. It actually made it to the press several times, if I remember correctly even in the days before the announcement, that Duffy was a sure deal! It was even announced as official by some press, and then we got a total surprise. At least I did!
    Shardlake wrote:
    AWTD is still considerably better than TND, TWINE & DAD.

That is your musical opinion, in my humble opinion it is the worst ever including NSNA.

So whoever does the next song has an easy job, it cannot be such a piece of **** as QoB delivered.

I still wonder how a very good composer like White came up with such an abomination. ANd another msitake is way Keye did want to sing it in the 1st place?

WTF, did he just say Keys and White is better music than Sheryl Crow, I don't believe what I just saw ?!

...and Garbage's TWINE also ? oh my days

I'll give you the last one though

It looks like the Adele kid will do the theme for Skyfall, I have to say I'm disappointed above all else, it's not something I ever would of wanted, it'll merely be a variation of before or even Madonna to a lesser extent, really not happy about this, and for the big half century celebrations too... They really could of done better with this, maybe I just don't appreciate modern music but that's how I feel about it, won't change my opinion

I'm disappointed in Adele doing the song too. I always liked the more rock oriented Bond songs better, like LALD, YKNM, etc.
    I did like this too

WTF, did he just say Keys and White is better music than Sheryl Crow, I don't believe what I just saw ?!

It looks like the Adele kid will do the theme for Skyfall, I have to say I'm disappointed above all else, it's not something I ever would of wanted, it'll merely be a variation of before or even Madonna to a lesser extent, really not happy about this, and for the big half century celebrations too... They really could of done better with this, maybe I just don't appreciate modern music but that's how I feel about it, won't change my opinion

Yes I did. Although I'll concede that AWTD is probably the worst thing JW has ever done, the man is immensely talented and AWTD doesn't send you to sleep like TND, the KD Lang song was so much better.
    The composition of AWTD is brilliant, but the voices of White and Keys just don't mesh, and it sounds like a cat screaming for its life as it is flattened by a steam roller.
    White is talented, AWTD is catchy, and not the worst Bond song, but it's still not very good. TND/TWINE are much better Bond songs.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 28,694
    TND is so tired, so droll. Sheryl sounds like she has a massive migraine and the lyrics come out as unfulfilling, like she just couldn't be bothered to add any excitement to it. It's a lullaby. TWINE at least has those big belts of the film title to keep it alive.
    White is talented, AWTD is catchy, and not the worst Bond song, but it's still not very good. TND/TWINE are much better Bond songs.

Yeah, I agree. But Alicia can sing: their voices were not used well here.

Yeah, I agree. But Alicia can sing: their voices were not used well here.

Yes, their voices didn't mesh, and didn't accentuate each other.
  • Shardlake wrote:

Yes I did. Although I'll concede that AWTD is probably the worst thing JW has ever done, the man is immensely talented and AWTD doesn't send you to sleep like TND, the KD Lang song was so much better.

That's a no brainer. Should have been the theme song, that's what Arnold wanted. His best work along with YKMN.

Although Adele appears to be the odds-on favorite according to the media gossip mill, I'm surprised some people here are saying it's a lock before the announcement. Best not to jump the gun and wait for an official announcement before speculating further, but that's just me knowing the media as well as I do.

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Should somebody still fancy Dame Shirley, I stumbled about this song, when I actually was looking for some other Yello stuff.

• Should somebody still fancy Dame Shirley, I stumbled about this song, when I actually was looking for some other Yello stuff.

Been looking for this for a while - thank you. Quality, but not for Skyfall. Adele or Florence please.