NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Critical Reaction and Box Office Performance

Comments

Mallory wrote: »
    Why is it that films in China drop so quickly? Films play for many weeks/months internationally, but not there?

I heard somewhere, that foreign films are not allowed to run for more than 4 weeks in China.
    Don't know if it's true. But most foreign films are gone after 3 or 4 weeks.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 440
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, don't the product placement deals essentially contribute to the entirety of the film's marketing budget and not the movie budget itself?

If so, that means that NTTD actually has a big advantage over almost every other movie this year since that's not going to detract from their overall ROI from the box office gross.

Hell, QOS cost the same amount as NTTD ($250 million) grossed less than it ($591 million) and was still considered a success due to this financial structure.

Hopefully, this will convince Amazon to let the next one keep the tradition of a full theatrical run along with the tons of on-location shooting with practical stunts, as well.

I know that's why these movies all cost so much money, but those aspects are also what keep the Bond films as a unique draw and a prestige product. imo

Even the Mission Impossible films don't do as much location filming.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Why do Bond films (NTTD in particular) cost so much?

Speculating...

+ On location filming is very expensive, and Bond does a lot of it.
    + Practical effects and sequences.
    + Daniel Craig ain’t cheap.
    + An expanded cast made up of more ‘know’ actors. Malek, Fiennes, Wright, Harris etc arent cheap, and then there is the rest.
    + Scrapping millions of pounds due to dropping Boyle (building large sets that werent used)
    + Bringing in PWB at the last minute, at the height of her popularity.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,441
    After 25 days No Time To Die doing almoost 16 million with theater count of 150. 6 Million to go to beat Spectre and 9 million before it beat Skyfall. Based on the cinema choose a ticket cost minimal € 11,50 / 14,50 (€ 2,50 more for 3D/4D/Imax). The movie stand for 4 weaks on number 1 on this moment. I think we can say movie get 1-1,5 million views on this moment.

Dune released 14 days earlier and deliever after 6 weaks almoost 5,3 million, Fast 9 did 5,6 million in 4 weaks and 6,8 in 6 weaks.

From 6 November the mouthcap will return to Dutch cinema's. And next year for moost people you can get / need 3th vacination.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 440

Speculating...

+ An expanded cast made up of more ‘know’ actors. Malek, Fiennes, Wright, Harris etc arent cheap, and then there is the rest.
    + Scrapping millions of pounds due to dropping Boyle (building large sets that werent used)

Yeah, that's basically it in nutshell.

Obviously, the next film will likely cost much less than NTTD by virtue of not having Craig and (hopefully) dropping the director and script right as sets are being built.

The main cost factor really is the location filming, the stunts, and especially all the stunts/special set builds that they do on location.

Doing things like blowing up cars on the streets of Matera and constructing hotel rooms where no buildings exist to get the most scenic view doesn't come cheaply.

One of the reasons why Skyfall was so relatively cheap (in the Mission Impossible range of $170-ish million) was because there weren't really a lot of huge stunts done on location and most of the film was shot in the UK doubling for the other countries.

Speculating...

The main costs come from the amount of shooting days.
    So when you film over 6 to 7 months, you have to pay a huge crew every day.
    If you only film for 3 to 4 months as many other movies do, that's a lot cheaper.
    The costs are inflated. Sure the Bond films have a huge crew, but really for example, the clothes, and the partnerships, are taken into account, when in fact they save a lot of money (ie they count the production value).

For example, you direct a short film, and your unique location cost 15 000 $ a day. You need 5 days = 75 000 bucks. You deal with the owner, and they give it to you for free in exchange of their logo in the end credits.

You haven't paid a penny, but your budget is 75 000 $ spent already.

Now, imagine this done on the Bond, for everything: cars, clothes, planes, locations, armory etc.

So when they say it's 250 millions to do a Bond, they probably forked out half that money in reality.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    That sounds more reasonable to me, really
  • 9IW9IW
    It is really, really hard to analyze a film budget in the simple terms some of you are using. Most particularly regarding the variable costs associated with the budget. The costs and revenues are both gyrating on a daily basis and not in a linear way. The later dollars have a big claim upon them by those with a percentage interest. Product placement helps, but in no way is going to cut the cost of the film in half. Not even close. The film will likely either have a marginal profit or loss at the end of the theatrical run and eventually turn an okay, not great, profit long term. In this market, NTTD is a success no matter how measured.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, don't the product placement deals essentially contribute to the entirety of the film's marketing budget and not the movie budget itself?

If so, that means that NTTD actually has a big advantage over almost every other movie this year since that's not going to detract from their overall ROI from the box office gross.

Hell, QOS cost the same amount as NTTD ($250 million) grossed less than it ($591 million) and was still considered a success due to this financial structure.

Hopefully, this will convince Amazon to let the next one keep the tradition of a full theatrical run along with the tons of on-location shooting with practical stunts, as well.

I know that's why these movies all cost so much money, but those aspects are also what keep the Bond films as a unique draw and a prestige product. imo

Even the Mission Impossible films don't do as much location filming.

Product placement deals are HUGE.......

I wonder how much they got from smirnoff in 1962 ?
    FDHm3SHVEAQpwD4?format=jpg&name=large
  • The Eternals are about to suck the air out of the US Box Office so I'm hoping NTTD can claw it's way up to $150m....

• peterpeter Toronto
    The Eternals are about to suck the air out of the US Box Office so I'm hoping NTTD can claw it's way up to $150m....

I’ve been hearing it’s a boring mess of a film and if so, the second week estimates should tank the film considerably
  • Looks like NTTD is the only decent product, maybe apart from Dune, currently at cinemas
    Looks like NTTD is the only decent product, maybe apart from Dune, currently at cinemas

Last Night in Soho and The French Dispatch are great.
  • HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    edited November 2021 Posts: 204
    As of today, NTTD is the #1 film of 2021 in Portugal, surpassing F9. A first for Portugal. The highest result Bond achieved around here was #4 in 2012 with SF. Small record, small country, very special circumstances, but I’m quite glad about it :D
    Same in France : as of wednesday, NTTD has overtaken Dune and become the most successful movie of the year (so far), with 3 337 579 seats sold.

http://www.jpbox-office.com/fichfilm.php?view=2&id=18174#cible1

Of course, it must be due to the current school vacations, but it's still impressive, in spite of the mask and health pass mandate.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Like a said a week ago… same in Italy as well. Hopefully Venom 2 won’t take Bond’s top spot.
    Damn school vacations, depriving some of us of the pleasure of saying NTTD is a flop!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    No Time To Die Presales Smash Expectations
    https://adnews.com.au/news/no-time-to-die-presales-smash-expectations

No Time To Die is already topping pre-sale forecasts ahead of its Australian release on November 11.

Daniel Craig’s fifth, and final, outing as 007 is lightyears ahead of the pre-sale figures of previous Bond titles Bond: Spectre, and Bond: Skyfall.

Bond: No Time To Die is already sitting 3x ahead of total Bond: Spectre pre-sales after just 10 days and 1.8x ahead of Bond: Skyfall pre-sales over a comparable time frame.

Pre-sales are also well exceeding other comparable blockbusters, attracting over double the cumulative first four day pre-sale box office figures of Wonder Woman 1984 which released on Boxing Day last year.

To meet projected demand, standard screenings of Bond: No Time To Die are already scheduled at all-time highs with extra screenings planned to be added to cinema programs.

Private bookings and premium cinema experiences are also hot property, with many opening week sessions booked out well ahead of release.

Guy Burbidge, Managing Director of Val Morgan: “The solid pre-sale numbers we’ve seen across the nations’ cinemas are a clear indication of the demand for Bond: No Time To Die, and for cinema experiences as we enter these key summer months.

"Confidence has officially been restored in the highly engaging and unparalleled advertising environment that cinema offers, and we already have a range of premium clients within key advertising groups across Bond: No Time To Die.”
    Great to hear that. If Bond smashes the Australian box-office then surpassing F9 would be pretty much a given.

Meanwhile in China Bond will enter its 2nd weekend with a cume of $37.8 million, since it grossed $9.6 million over the last four days. Hopefully it won’t suffer a Dune kind of drop off (Dune dropped a whooping 77% last week) and it would be able to get scary close to hit $50 million by Sunday. That would lead to a good ~$60 million total.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 40,465
    $60 million end total from China is about as much as you can ask and hope for during a pandemic, for something that isn't as CGI-laden and epic as they usually turn out for.
    Yes. It would be just like SF's gross, without any promotional tour. Anyway China is unpredictable, maybe tomorrow NTTD will drop a 85% like Dune's second Friday and then if that happens it would be lucky to hit the $50 million mark.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited November 2021 Posts: 4,394
    I believe that F9 was already surpassed by NTTD in less than 2 weeks. F9 had only 235'000 seats sold while NTTD is at 630'000 at the moment. I hope it will reach 700'000. Every Bond since GE crossed that line. But I'm very happy with the numbers for NTTD here. There are a lot of people who weren't allowed to see it. We have a lot without vaccination. Almost none of my students has seen it yet (!).
    Tomorrow Bond will lose 20.000 screens in China. Crazy.
    Stamper wrote: »
    The costs are inflated. Sure the Bond films have a huge crew, but really for example, the clothes, and the partnerships, are taken into account, when in fact they save a lot of money (ie they count the production value).

For example, you direct a short film, and your unique location cost 15 000 $ a day. You need 5 days = 75 000 bucks. You deal with the owner, and they give it to you for free in exchange of their logo in the end credits.

You haven't paid a penny, but your budget is 75 000 $ spent already.

Now, imagine this done on the Bond, for everything: cars, clothes, planes, locations, armory etc.

So when they say it's 250 millions to do a Bond, they probably forked out half that money in reality.

This, 100% this.

None of us here knows what costs to make a James Bond film.

We know what someone else tells us that it cost, but that’s just the reported cost.

And they can report any made-up number they want, because they do not have to show us their account books.

So they told us, for example, that QOS cost a quarter of a billion dollars to make. But I doubt it cost even half that. Because the production cost figure is part of the hype.

So they told us, for example, that QOS cost a quarter of a billion dollars to make. But I doubt it cost even half that. Because the production cost figure is part of the hype.

And they do everything to get the highest production cost figure possible, so that they will have to pay less taxes on the winning gross.
  • Come on Aussies. You can make up for the disappointing performance from the American market.
    In Germany NTTD may win the weekend AGAIN even against the fresh Eternals release. Let's see what happens.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,925
    Jan1985 wrote: »
    And they do everything to get the highest production cost figure possible, so that they will have to pay less taxes on the winning gross.
    Ah, now I see! 👍

So in China it looks like Bond will drop a not so bad 67% compared to last Friday, for a $40.5 million cume. It's not that bad since it lost almost half of the screens it had a week ago, something like 41.500 screens, which is crazy, but managed to stay still on top of the Chinese boxoffice.

It's been also calculated that Bond will lose a 20% only because of the recent COVID restrictions that lead to a lot of theaters being shut down (like in Western Beijing).
    I still believe it will hit the $60 million mark by the end of its run. Without those umpredictable restrictions it would've top SP gross, without any promotional tour.
    So, it's doing fine.