Which actor would make a good Bond villain?

Comments

• Ludovico wrote: »
    For the next Blofeld (he will return now that they can use him), I'd rather have a non British and non Anglophone actor.
    Tomasz Kot who was apparently considered by Danny Boyle back when he was set to direct Bond 25 could be quite good for the part if they depict Blofeld close to how he was portrayed in FRWL and TB.
    4071527.jpg
    Ludovico wrote: »
    For the next Blofeld (he will return now that they can use him), I'd rather have a non British and non Anglophone actor.
    Tomasz Kot who was apparently considered by Danny Boyle back when he was set to direct Bond 25 could be quite good for the part if they depict Blofeld close to how he was portrayed in FRWL and TB.
    4071527.jpg

That is the one thing Boyle was going to bring to the film that I'd found genuinely interesting: an unknown veteran actor with a classical Fleming villain background. I'm okay with Safin's casting, although I wasn't overly impressed with him. But I long for the time of casting unknown (at least in the English speaking world) actors for Bond villains.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Benno Fürmann usually makes for an effective villain, I've seen him in a number of things.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,895
    For the next Blofeld (he will return now that they can use him), I'd rather have a non British and non Anglophone actor...someone more akin culturally to the Blofeld of the novel.
    Totally agree with whoever it was on here who said that Werner Herzog would've made a great Blofeld. The cold, sociopathic menace and sense of imminent evil he brought to Zec in that Jack Reacher film would've raised SP by several levels. Herzog's age would've meant they had to junk the Brofeld malarkey too. Winner!

Seve wrote: »
    Chuck Connors.
    R.41faa036ea82e93b0239d44ec49c57e2?rik=p4JJ4sh0uM%2fmKA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.briansdriveintheater.com%2fwesterns%2fchuckconnors%2fchuckconnors10.jpg&ehk=j82m8wPTeo4olaZ9g%2fby9ExAXcO8lnJ26Ayj3lEn%2ftU%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
    Would have made a great Scaramanga, had that film been made a little earlier.

From the movie "'99 and 44/100% Dead!'" starring Richard Harris

Richard and Chuck together, that's a lot of chin action!

I want to see it!!

I wouldn't bother! Its awful. Considering its from the great John Frankenheimar, one of his many misfires!
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Venutius wrote: »
    For the next Blofeld (he will return now that they can use him), I'd rather have a non British and non Anglophone actor...someone more akin culturally to the Blofeld of the novel.
    Totally agree with whoever it was on here who said that Werner Herzog would've made a great Blofeld. The cold, sociopathic menace and sense of imminent evil he brought to Zec in that Jack Reacher film would've raised SP by several levels. Herzog's age would've meant they had to junk the Brofeld malarkey too. Winner!

Yes that was me, it was always me, the author... Oh, never mind.
    He would have been a very menacing Blofeld I believe. Just the thought of him delivering that previous line! Awesome
    Yes. Once you've pictured Herzog in the role, it's hard to unsee. Excellent call.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,834
    Denbigh wrote: »
    After seeing Dune, I believe Stephen McKinley Henderson would make an interesting villain.
    Again, would love to see this guy appear in James Bond in some capacity.

• NewAgendaNewAgenda USA
    fd177f8772cd48f784a03138fcf5c71ded097fad.png
    Isabelle Huppert
    Colman Domingo
    Jeremy Irons
    Giancarlo Esposito
    Pekka Strang
    Tilda Swinton
    Thandiwe Newton
    Antonio Banderas
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,416
    As Henchman or ally that feels as villIan for Bond because he take all girls Bond whant. Or both.

Björn Gustafsson. Born in Sweden. Swedish comedian (theater guy)

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm2930714/

1118full-bj%C3%B6rn-gustafsson.jpg

Playing ''second'' / final husband of Astrid Lindgren (Alba August that play younger Astrid is in real life his girlfriend. Mabey some day i whant to see as Bondgirl) in Becoming Astrid / Unga Astrid (2018) a Swedish/Danish movie.

bjorn_gustafsson_alba_mellan.jpg

5.jpg

In Spy (2015) he play Anton.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    NewAgenda wrote: »
    Isabelle Huppert
    Colman Domingo
    Jeremy Irons
    Giancarlo Esposito
    Pekka Strang
    Tilda Swinton
    Thandiwe Newton
    Antonio Banderas

Let's get Jeremy Irons and Tilda Swinton as the next generation's Blofeld (post-Thunderball) and Irma Bunt. And yes, I would love another take on Blofeld in the next generation of Bond films.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Isabelle Huppert
    Colman Domingo
    Jeremy Irons
    Giancarlo Esposito
    Pekka Strang
    Tilda Swinton
    Thandiwe Newton
    Antonio Banderas

Yes to Isabelle Huppert. All she needs is some intimidating brute for muscle.
    +1 to Jeremy Irons and Thandiwe Newton

Tilda Swinton is great but IMO fits the baddie cliche a touch too well (plus I am getting vibes of Cate Blanchett in The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...)
  • It’ll never happen because they like casting big names these days, but I’d like to see Vicky Mcclure as a cold, calculating main villain. I think she could pull it off.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited October 2021 Posts: 357
    Daniel Craig... returns... as a villain who looks just like James Bond and takes his place, causing mayhem in MI6 and across the Free World by assassinating allied agents

de4e15ddbbb1acfad1ce4ae676ad2361677c832521d9c2bda5ecc7a4254c0dca._RI_V_TTW_.jpg
    Don't mention Red Grant!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Isabelle Huppert
    Colman Domingo
    Jeremy Irons
    Giancarlo Esposito
    Pekka Strang
    Tilda Swinton
    Thandiwe Newton
    Antonio Banderas

Having seen Breaking Bad, I will say yes to Esposito immediately.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Isabelle Huppert
    Colman Domingo
    Jeremy Irons
    Giancarlo Esposito
    Pekka Strang
    Tilda Swinton
    Thandiwe Newton
    Antonio Banderas

Having seen Breaking Bad, I will say yes to Esposito immediately.

Yeah he’d be great. I remember suggesting him as Blofeld a few years ago (I know race swapping can be controversial, but Blofeld’s essentially a new character every time anyway, even in the novels). The man was born to play a Bond villain.
    The problem with Esposito is it feels like he’s a villain in everything he does, and he’s the same villain every time too. His Blofeld would just be the same as his Fring, his Moff Gideon, his FC6, etc.
  • The problem with Esposito is it feels like he’s a villain in everything he does, and he’s the same villain every time too. His Blofeld would just be the same as his Fring, his Moff Gideon, his FC6, etc.

Yeah that’s a good point to be fair. The time to cast him was probably a few years ago, just after Breaking Bad. Maybe Cranston would be a better option. He could pull off a good Bond villain in his sleep, and his career has been varied enough post BB that I don’t think it’d feel as derivative as casting Esposito.

I really hope we get another female villain next though, just for the sake of variety.
    Kiefer Sutherland
    I might be stating the obvious, but Daniel Day Lewis would be perfect!
    I miss big and/or brutish looking Bond villains. We had plenty in the books, not so many in the films. As I mentioned before I'd rather have them cast non Anglophone actors, but say someone like Mark Addy would be interesting. Although if he doesn't have a beard he looks rather soft.
    The suggestion above of Ciarán Hinds seems like would fit the bill.
    The suggestion above of Ciarán Hinds seems like would fit the bill.
    Yeah, but at 68 he's not getting any younger. I'd been advocating for him to play a Bond villain, either Blofeld or a crypto Blofeld, since 2006. I think now this ship has sailed, sadly.
    Too bad Mark Strong had a big part in Kingsman... he would have rocked a Bond villain role :-S

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Kv64FXLLm1U5AMLs-GsKegHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Similar-looking Rufus Sewell was just in The Man in the High Castle, but if he is not worried about typecasting, I'd totally want to see him:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.hE_U8lWgUxsRnCGEwecN7gHaE7%26pid%3DApi&f=1

...and ignoring the fact that he is about to play a Marvel villain, I'd watch Christian Bale in anything.

• FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    Too bad Mark Strong had a big part in Kingsman... he would have rocked a Bond villain role :-S

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Kv64FXLLm1U5AMLs-GsKegHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Similar-looking Rufus Sewell was just in The Man in the High Castle, but if he is not worried about typecasting, I'd totally want to see him:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.hE_U8lWgUxsRnCGEwecN7gHaE7%26pid%3DApi&f=1

...and ignoring the fact that he is about to play a Marvel villain, I'd watch Christian Bale in anything.

Mark Strong would have been a brilliant Bond in the Fleming mould.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    In the grand tradition of German actors playing villains and henchmen, I'd nominate Albrecht Schuch.
    c_limit,f_jpg,h_1200,q_80,w_1200
    c_limit,f_jpg,h_1200,q_80,w_1200

Still very young, especially for a lead villain, but I consider him to be the most promising young German actor around at the moment. Fantastic actor in general and can get extremely physically intimidating when he wants to. Last year he won the German film prize for both lead actor and supporting actor, which I assume is pretty rare.
    Doesn't really have international credits yet. I think Bad Banks also ran in other countries, so maybe some of you have seen him in that.

The other one from that generation is Frederick Lau.
    frederick-lau.jpg
    Arguably the more accomplished of the two, but not really someone I can see as a Bond villain.
    Mark Strong would have been a brilliant Bond in the Fleming mould.

Coincidentally, this was published today:
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/oct/28/mark-strong-acting-insecurity-life-without-father
  • Maybe Gong Li? Good actress, I think she could play an interesting villain.

330px-Gong_Li_in_Venice_Film_2019.jpg