"No Time to Die: The Making of the Film" book and new James Bond Archives edition tidbits (Spoilers)

edited October 2021 in No Time To Die Posts: 18
Hey All! I couldn't find any thread addressing this directly so I figured I would put it out there. For those who bought the making of book, is it worth the purchase? I'd love to flip through before buying but it's not the easiest book to track down in stores :)) .

And for what it's worth, I definitely fall into the fan of NTTD camp.

Thanks!

Changed the subject of the thread since my question was answered!

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    In a word, absolutely!
    I just received mine and it a beautiful book with loads of behind the scenes photos. It’s a perfect coffee table book for any Bond fan.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    talos7 wrote: »
    In a word, absolutely!
    I just received mine and it a beautiful book with loads of behind the scenes photos. It’s a perfect coffee table book for any Bond fan.

Is there much text or background information on the film in the book or is it mainly photographs?
  • RyanRyan Canada
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    In a word, absolutely!

Is there much text or background information on the film in the book or is it mainly photographs?

I'd say 50/50. The narrative of the book is structured in chronological order with many first hand quotes from Fukunaga and Sandgren (among others) that shape the behind the scenes story. There's much to unpack from the photos as well (for example, we can see the entirety of Bond's drawer in Jamaica).
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bond's got a banana bunch key ring in his drawer.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    In a word, absolutely!

Agreed. Fantastic book that I have yet to dive into as it deserves.
    Thanks all for the feedback! I have the James Bond Archives coffee table book that covers up to SPECTRE so the completist in me is hankering for this one lol
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,518
    Bondfox wrote: »
    Thanks all for the feedback! I have the James Bond Archives coffee table book that covers up to SPECTRE so the completist in me is hankering for this one lol

I hear you! I have the Archives book for up to Skyfall, but I have the Bond On Set books for CR (just found used on Craigslist, very lucky!), SF, SP (Blood, Sweat, and Bond), and now for NTTD (Making Of). Once I get the QoS book, the completionist in me will be satisfied I think, even without the most up to date Archives.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Is there also going to be a (I will probably get his name wrong) Greg Williams behind the scenes coffee table sized book?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Is there also going to be a (I will probably get his name wrong) Greg Williams behind the scenes coffee table sized book?

Personally I doubt it. The “Bond On Set” books usually come out around the release date of their respective films.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    The book looks great - but, damn, that corduroy, dude... :-O
    Ryan wrote: »
    In a word, absolutely!

I'd say 50/50. The narrative of the book is structured in chronological order with many first hand quotes from Fukunaga and Sandgren (among others) that shape the behind the scenes story. There's much to unpack from the photos as well (for example, we can see the entirety of Bond's drawer in Jamaica).

Thanks, @talos7. That sounds good then. Anything that adds to the further enjoyment of the film is to be welcomed. I might be able to pick up a copy of this book on eBay as I gather they're sold out other places due to the high demand the release of a new Bond film inevitably brings.
    Personally, I'm looking forward to No Time to Die: The Making of the Book of the Making of the Film. It's going to be a great film for sure.

Ryan wrote: »
    for example, we can see the entirety of Bond's drawer in Jamaica
    That's great; the contents of the drawer are one of the most interesting details of the film.
    So I went ahead and bought it, thanks to those who shared their thoughts! It's definitely a fun book for those who enjoyed the film like myself. It also does provide greater context into how DC and the rest thought of NTTD's ending within the arc that they "saw emerge". More background into Safin too. And as others have said, the photos are stunning.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Does the book elaborates more on all the nanobots/poison stuff? How they are made and how the poison that Safin's minions harvest in its base works?
  • StarkStark France
    Is it true that the book mentions Christopher Nolan several times ?
    matt_u wrote: »
    Does the book elaborates more on all the nanobots/poison stuff? How they are made and how the poison that Safin's minions harvest in its base works?

Yes! There's some pseudo-science about how modern theoretical science into nanobots states that it would require cultivation to produce them and that acid would be somehow involved in their production. There's also one or two other narrative leaps about the nanobots carrying poison...I think...
    Stark wrote: »
    Is it true that the book mentions Christopher Nolan several times ?

Yeah, mainly as an inspiration for how Nolan used IMAX.

Thanks, good to know.
    One of the many items in that photo of Bond's drawer:

51643784474_41f841d5f2_o.png
    edited October 2021 Posts: 17,728
    QBranch wrote: »
    One of the many items in that photo of Bond's drawer:

51643784474_41f841d5f2_o.png

An in-drawer-joke?
    An in-drawer-joke?
    I thought it had appeal.
    An in-drawer-joke?
    I thought it had appeal.

The appellate committee appreciates it.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    An in-drawer-joke?
    I thought it had appeal.

The appellate committee appreciates it.

Though if it was a donut, that would have been an even more epic crossover than the Cuba scenes! :))
    Question: does the book talk about why they decided to go with the ending they chose?
    Nope. The JB Archives does.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Ah is that drawer photo from this? That guy on the other forum posted it as if it was secret insider knowledge.
    Question: does the book talk about why they decided to go with the ending they chose?

Yeah, I wanna know why they didn't end the film with the gunbarrel, like in the good old days!
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    mtm wrote: »

Ah is that drawer photo from this? That guy on the other forum posted it as if it was secret insider knowledge.

There's a drawer photo in the making of book but it's really small and you can't make out many details... And you know I crave those!

It does look like Bond had fake Argentinian and American (possibly? It's hard to tell) passports though... Along with a newspaper clipping about Blofeld's imprisonment.
    I reckon it is, that was my impression, anyway.
    00Heaven wrote: »

There's a drawer photo in the making of book but it's really small and you can't make out many details... And you know I crave those!

It does look like Bond had fake Argentinian and American (possibly? It's hard to tell) passports though... Along with a newspaper clipping about Blofeld's imprisonment.
    Correct on the passports. There's also a photo of Dr. Vogel underneath!
    There's also a Nokia 105 in black
    I'm looking forward to getting a good look at that drawer when the film gets a home release. Especially the newspaper article on Blofeld. Hopefully it doesn't say pure nonsense because they weren't counting on anyone reading it, haha! I'm reminded of the book about Van Damme's character in the film The Quest. Starts alright but devolves into madness by the third paragraph:

tq8.png