Who should/could be a Bond actor?

1832833835837838962

Comments

  • edited October 2021 Posts: 5,735
    00Heaven wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    weboffear wrote: »
    Anyone seen this interesting , not great but interesting

    Timothy Dalton still looks more like Bond than Cavill ever will...

    When reading Fleming it's ALWAYS Dalton in my mind's eye. Always.

    +1
    Always visualise Dalton when reading the books!

    Bingo. +1 for me too.

    Most of us do. Him or Connery, the latter being the obvious choice because of the bigger proximity between the novels and his first four films. But Dalton was spot on casting. And has a huge fanbase in the Bond community.

    Actually, just found this:
    https://www.google.pt/amp/s/screenrant.com/james-bond-most-popular-actor-timothy-dalton-study/amp/

  • Posts: 9,239
    again if Fassbender or Hardy are cast for a "quick" trilogy I would be fine with it
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 11,128
    00Heaven wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    weboffear wrote: »
    Anyone seen this interesting , not great but interesting

    Timothy Dalton still looks more like Bond than Cavill ever will...

    When reading Fleming it's ALWAYS Dalton in my mind's eye. Always.

    +1
    Always visualise Dalton when reading the books!

    Bingo. +1 for me too.

    I don't really see any of the actors, but when I do it's often more likely to be Lazenby (right sort of period and a bit of a blank personality-wise); or actually Craig, although book Bond is more verbose than him. Tim always appears in my mind's eye to be a bit too weedy, even though I know he isn't really. And the massive bouffant doesn't really help with a 50s setting either! :D
  • Posts: 131
    Univex wrote: »

    Thank you for posting the link :) Good to see my favourite Dalton get the recognition he deserves!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,659
    Looking at photos over the years, Dalton absolutely could have played Bond into the 2000s , essentially through the Brosnan era.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 11,128
    For the best he didn't though: Brosnan made it a hit again.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,659
    mtm wrote: »
    For the best he didn't though: Brosnan made it a hit again.

    I Agee with, Brosnan was the right man for the moment, and really did save the franchise; I’m just making an observation about Dalton’s appearance. He could have had a long run.

  • Posts: 131
    True, but while Brosnan brought the box office, time has been kinder to Dalton, deservedly so, as he embodied the character better. Much as I like Brosnan, I would have loved to see Dalton in GE (and, sacrilegiously, either of them in Skyfall).
  • TimeToDieTimeToDie North West UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1
    Theo James should be the next James Bond.


  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 11,128
    talos7 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    For the best he didn't though: Brosnan made it a hit again.

    I Agee with, Brosnan was the right man for the moment, and really did save the franchise; I’m just making an observation about Dalton’s appearance. He could have had a long run.

    Yeah I tend to think of Dalton/Brosnan as the second incarnation of Bond - up until AVTAK it could have all been one guy, but at TLD he gets suddenly younger, and then you have to reset him again after DAD to Bond #3.
    True, but while Brosnan brought the box office, time has been kinder to Dalton, deservedly so, as he embodied the character better.

    Well it depends on your POV, really. I tend to think that Bond is a movie character foremost- that’s how almost everyone knows him. This forum wouldn’t be here without the movies, and we’re even talking about them right now. He has his roots in the books, and they rightly refer back to them, but also it moved beyond them too. Brosnan embodied that role of Bond that most of the world is familiar with.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,659
    mtm wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    For the best he didn't though: Brosnan made it a hit again.

    I Agee with, Brosnan was the right man for the moment, and really did save the franchise; I’m just making an observation about Dalton’s appearance. He could have had a long run.

    Yeah I tend to think of Dalton/Brosnan as the second incarnation of Bond - up until AVTAK it could have all been one guy, but at TLD he gets suddenly younger, and then you have to reset him again after DAD to Bond #3. .

    It’s so great to hear someone else say this; I’ve been saying this for years. Yes there are inconsistencies, but I see Connery, Lazenby and Moore as the same Bond; then there are Dalton and Brosnan and then Craig.

  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Posts: 7,235
    talos7 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    For the best he didn't though: Brosnan made it a hit again.

    I Agee with, Brosnan was the right man for the moment, and really did save the franchise; I’m just making an observation about Dalton’s appearance. He could have had a long run.

    Yeah I tend to think of Dalton/Brosnan as the second incarnation of Bond - up until AVTAK it could have all been one guy, but at TLD he gets suddenly younger, and then you have to reset him again after DAD to Bond #3. .

    It’s so great to hear someone else say this; I’ve been saying this for years. Yes there are inconsistencies, but I see Connery, Lazenby and Moore as the same Bond; then there are Dalton and Brosnan and then Craig.

    I also agree with this.
  • Posts: 131
    talos7 wrote: »
    I see Connery, Lazenby and Moore as the same Bond; then there are Dalton and Brosnan and then Craig.

    I cannot see Connery and Moore as the same Bond; the tonal difference is too big. Connery and Lazenby, yes, and Dalton and Brosnan, pretty much; so I guess I'd end up with four Bonds instead of three...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,659
    talos7 wrote: »
    I see Connery, ke Lazenby and Moore as the same Bond; then there are Dalton and Brosnan and then Craig.


    I cannot see Connery and Moore as the same Bond; the tonal difference is too big. Connery and Lazenby, yes, and Dalton and Brosnan, pretty much; so I guess I'd end up with four Bonds instead of three...

    Well no doubt Moore played the role differently, but , in addition to age , there just too many other elements that point to it being the same timeline.

    Also, Moore lighter tone didn’t really start to come out until his middle and later films. I can easily see Connery or Lazenby in LALD or TMWTGG, particularly this one . Just picture a Connery who was engaged, and in shape, going up against Christopher Lee.

  • Posts: 13,868
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Hardy is extremely gentlemanly in Inception.

    And in Star Trek Nemesis, he was neither gentlemanly nor manly. Which is ironic since he played a clone of Picard.
  • Posts: 131
    talos7 wrote: »
    I can easily see Connery or Lazenby in LALD or TMWTGG, particularly this one . Just picture a Connery who was engaged, and in shape, going up against Christopher Lee.

    You are teasing me with the missed opportunity here... I'd rather not see either Connery or Moore torment poor Mary Goodnight, but NSNA-form Connery would have made a real difference in that film. You are right, Moore and Lee were on different wavelengths. LALD, not so much IMO; to me it has too many weaknesses, and I am not sure Connery would fit well into its plot (Moore seducing Solitaire was cringeworthy enough; Connery would be no better). Perhaps a callow-youth, pre-OHMSS Lazenby would have been a marginal improvement.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 6,269
    Everyone will hate this, but when I read the novels, I most easily picture Craig.
  • henry-cavill-1601241561.png?crop=1.00xw:0.586xh;0,0.0722xh&resize=1200:*

    richard-madden-bodyguard.jpg

    SsLsknwDqjAqwbeWBq6k43.jpg
    My top three choices
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,659
    From this group, I have go with Turner; Madden always looks dour and pouting and Cavill has the charisma of a turnip .

    I know some get tired of hearing about Turner but he deserves a screentest, if he hasn’t aged out at this point.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2021 Posts: 6,269
    Of those three my choice would be Madden, but I have (and hate) to say, out of those three photos, Turner does look most the part.

    Because of his looks, Cavill will always be brought up in this thread, but that's all he has. And I'd hope it takes more than just looks to play Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 11,128
    Everyone will hate this, but when I read the novels, I most easily picture Craig.

    Not at all; I get that sometimes myself. His attitude and presence fits the best.
  • baerrttbaerrtt United kingdom
    Posts: 16
    Someone earlier asked when Craig was first rumoured and I remember him being a studio guest of Film 2004 with Jonathan Ross promoting Enduring Love in November of that year where Ross asked him about the rumours and Craig remarkably stated Eon had approached him but he'd turned them down. I recall CR being the next Bond movie had been announced already by that point.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,875
    I don't know if you can go too much younger than Craig was in CR unless you're going to change Bond's backstory or do his origin story again.

    They could always go for adapting Forever and a Day, which is set before CR. This shows how Bond earned his stripes. Great story for another reboot.

    As for the next actor, my number 1 choice right now is Brett Goldstein. Watching him play tough guy Roy Kent in Ted Lasso, I saw something in him that reminded me of Connery. He can do tough and comedy in equal measure, so would bring the fun back to the series, while exuding macho charisma too. Empire magazine also have him tipped as one of the runners.

    Forget your Cavill's, Fassbenders and Hardy's. This is the kind of actor that will be chosen. A left field choice, off everyone's radar.

    E_r_zjCVcAMfBO-.jpg




  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,659
    Possibly, but those brows are going to need some of the same attention that Connery’s received.
  • Posts: 2,875
    talos7 wrote: »
    Possibly, but those brows are going to need some of the same attention that Connery’s received.

    See them in action too. He can raise just one eyebrow to great effect, the same way Moore and Connery could. ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Posts: 6,659
    As has been pointed out, never underestimate the power of the brow.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Posts: 1,072
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Posts: 11,128
    I don't know if you can go too much younger than Craig was in CR unless you're going to change Bond's backstory or do his origin story again.

    They could always go for adapting Forever and a Day, which is set before CR. This shows how Bond earned his stripes. Great story for another reboot.

    Yeah, I don't think that story itself is quite strong enough perhaps, but I think it showed pretty well that a younger Bond starting out (and in a different style to the movie CR) is still Bond.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 131

    :D :D :D
    talos7 wrote: »
    From this group, I have go with Turner; Madden always looks dour and pouting and Cavill has the charisma of a turnip .

    I know some get tired of hearing about Turner but he deserves a screentest, if he hasn’t aged out at this point.

    Not crazy about Turner, but agree on him deserving a screen test. Cavill's acting ability is not stellar, but I thought he did a decent job as Solo in UNCLE. Madden's petulant teen expression reminds me of Hayden Christensen X_X

    Brett Goldstein looks OK, but he is 41, and I suspect that if the producers go with a less well known actor, they will go young, whether rightly so or not, to give them time to build another "arc", or at least to make 4-5 films before they need to look for a replacement. Bond is a physically demanding role, and even if their faces do not show age, actors in their 50s will have issues with the stunts.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 2,875
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't know if you can go too much younger than Craig was in CR unless you're going to change Bond's backstory or do his origin story again.

    They could always go for adapting Forever and a Day, which is set before CR. This shows how Bond earned his stripes. Great story for another reboot.

    Yeah, I don't think that story itself is quite strong enough perhaps, but I think it showed pretty well that a younger Bond starting out (and in a different style to the movie CR) is still Bond.

    Again, like any of the adapted novels, extra scenes will need to be written to pad the story out (often action sequences). This is no different to any other previously adapted novel. I think the basis of FAAD could work though, the same way CR was used as a base.

    They could even incorporate some unused Fleming in there too if they were clever about it - Bond and M at blades playing cards with the villain, Bond meeting Viv Michel at a motel, etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.