Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

Graverobbers ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Even if they made it impossible to distinguish between real and fake (which they will), I would still have a problem with the de-aging technology. Some would call it the next step in movie making, but using technology to immortalize a character or an actor?

How about Indiana Jones 7 and 8, with a young Harrison Ford? Doable! Or bringing back Connery as the next Bond? Doable. Far out, perhaps...but hey, they are bringing James Dean back, so why not?

I think making an actor who is present look young is different from bringing one back from the dead.

I only just watched the last Mandalorian episode: I didn’t expect it to look that bad! :D
  • RyanRyan Canada
    mtm wrote: »
    Even if they made it impossible to distinguish between real and fake (which they will), I would still have a problem with the de-aging technology. Some would call it the next step in movie making, but using technology to immortalize a character or an actor?

How about Indiana Jones 7 and 8, with a young Harrison Ford? Doable! Or bringing back Connery as the next Bond? Doable. Far out, perhaps...but hey, they are bringing James Dean back, so why not?

I think making an actor who is present look young is different from bringing one back from the dead.

I only just watched the last Mandalorian episode: I didn’t expect it to look that bad! :D

I almost forgot about that one. It makes the young Leia look amazing by comparison!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ryan wrote: »

I almost forgot about that one. It makes the young Leia look amazing by comparison!

What? You guys need to see refresh, baby! wow...
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Luke looked like garbage the moment they had him talk. They either should have recast the part or just not include him at all.
    Luke looked like garbage the moment they had him talk. They either should have recast the part or just not include him at all.
    That’s funny. He looked pretty spectacular to my eye.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's always the eyes that give those CGI reincarnations away for me.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The “Deep Fake” young Luke was better than the official one.

• edited October 2021 Posts: 3,160
    Since62 wrote: »
    Bringing James Dean back ? Who "they" ?

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2019/11/06/james-dean-resurrected-for-new-movie-finding-jack/2506761001/
    Yes, I agree. There's a big difference. Ethics.
    TR007 wrote: »

I wish the show was spectacular.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    It's always the eyes that give those CGI reincarnations away for me.

The eyes are always very unsettling. With Tarkin, I found it to be a mix of the eyes and the mouth. His mouth movements when speaking just reminded me far too much of a video game cutscene. I couldn't keep my eyes away.

Interestingly, the only film where I didn't find it incredibly distracting was Furious 7. While it was fairly easy to tell which scenes were restructured to take emphasis off of Paul Walker's character, I was floored when I discovered some of the overt shots that were the CGI Paul during the film (the end scene not withstanding).
    What’s ridiculous is that the guy who they got to stand in as Tarkin actuality looks a lot like Peter Cushing. They could have just applied some make up on him to closer resemble Cushing.

But there seems to be this awful OCD issue with filmmakers that in order to keep the Star Wars universe consistent they MUST make sure that they look exactly as they did via CGI rather than trust in audiences understanding that recasting is a necessity.

At least Star Trek didn’t try to make Anson Mount look like Jeffrey Hunter via CGI.
    TR007 wrote: »

I wish the show was spectacular.
    Haha, it is!
    Overrated, perhaps.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Honestly I think all the CGI has been great. Some better than others, sure, but I sometimes think we take these capabilities for granted.

Yep.To quote Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park..” You were so focused on whether you could,you never stopped to consider whether you SHOULD “.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Yep.To quote Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park..” You were so focused on whether you could,you never stopped to consider whether you SHOULD “.

LOL, well played!
    Morroco chase. This looks fun:
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    So in the video I see they're using
    the time inversion concept from Tenet.

Plus I saw
    Nolan climb in that tuk tuk at 1:53.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Just a bit of fun which is nothing to do with the movie, but if someone at home can do this maybe the film can get away with it :)

Just a bit of fun which is nothing to do with the movie, but if someone at home can do this maybe the film can get away with it :)

That's pretty good.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Even the hat looks younger !
    We need moving pictures to conclude anything. There are many apps that succesfully can deoldify a picture.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    We need moving pictures to conclude anything. There are many apps that succesfully can deoldify a picture.

You're not supposed to conclude anything: it's just a fan who's done it for a bit of fun.
    I guess you missed the part "maybe the film can get away with it."
    Is that World War 1 uniforms?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I guess you missed the part "maybe the film can get away with it."

I wrote it :))
    This isn't the film trying to prove anything to us, it's just a fan having a bit of fun.

I think someone was saying this may be more likely to be from the SAS BBC drama.

Amazing attention to details here. Even arab 60's movieposters are put up:

FC2fkd_XsAIXXUT.jpg
  • talos7 wrote: »
    Even the hat looks younger !

Love it
    ToTheRight wrote: »

That's pretty good.

It is very clever technology.
  • This is shaping up to be quite the action sequence. I wonder if this will be the big "main" action set piece of the film. If not, I wonder where/what that setpiece will be.