Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Frederick Schmidt, b. 1984, might be good.
    R.d808c0cf41af4f9c5b3d194455deafdf?rik=m0W%2bZZ7gSlS1gA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww2.pictures.zimbio.com%2fgi%2fFrederick%2bSchmidt%2bMission%2bImpossible%2bFallout%2bLlwJ96IfMZ0l.jpg&ehk=aiOZOZ4sFHfuc66PAP4uq10pNoxqY%2bLvvQZ%2bO9YYebA%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

I need to see him either clean shaven or with a full beard. The slam poetry look doesn't flatter him whatsoever, all I can think looking at that is I've finally found someone whose facial hair game is worse than my own :)) :)) :))

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh that's MUCH better. I'm not exactly on board with him or anything, but I wouldn't be up in arms if he ended up being cast as Bond. I get a mixture of George and Roger with that photo, which isn't a combo I think I've seen before. There's a dash of Timothy there as well.

He looks cut from the Craig cloth ; I think they will avoid casting an actor who would look like a surrogate for Daniel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    talos7 wrote: »
    R.d808c0cf41af4f9c5b3d194455deafdf?rik=m0W%2bZZ7gSlS1gA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww2.pictures.zimbio.com%2fgi%2fFrederick%2bSchmidt%2bMission%2bImpossible%2bFallout%2bLlwJ96IfMZ0l.jpg&ehk=aiOZOZ4sFHfuc66PAP4uq10pNoxqY%2bLvvQZ%2bO9YYebA%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

I need to see him either clean shaven or with a full beard. The slam poetry look doesn't flatter him whatsoever, all I can think looking at that is I've finally found someone whose facial hair game is worse than my own :)) :)) :))

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh that's MUCH better. I'm not exactly on board with him or anything, but I wouldn't be up in arms if he ended up being cast as Bond. I get a mixture of George and Roger with that photo, which isn't a combo I think I've seen before. There's a dash of Timothy there as well.

He looks cut from the Craig cloth ; I think they will avoid casting an actor who would look like a surrogate for Daniel.

He does have those big ears, and blue eyes.

maxresdefault.jpg

And an overall bruiser appearance. That’s not an insult, I just think that the next actor will have a bit more of masculine elegance.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

maxresdefault.jpg

And an overall bruiser appearance. That’s not an insult, I just think that the next actor will have a bit more of masculine elegance.

I agree, I think the next actor will be quite far removed from Daniel Craig to avoid comparisons.
    patb wrote: »

I keep waiting for Range Rovers to come flying out of the forest. 😉
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    He has something about him that suggests he could do it. I can’t put my finger on it.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,599
    The fact that major, upmarket brands are employing/trusting him with this type of work is a huge pointer IMHO plus they see that he is a "class act" re reflecting brand values Also the fact that he is happy to take on this type of work is also great as we know how hugely important product placement/branding is within Bond production. He is a very safe pair of hands in this area.
  • patb wrote: »

He definitively has what it takes for the role. In two or three years, the time for Bond 26 production to start, he will have aged slightly and could be perfect if Eon wants to go in a direction akin to Matt Reeves's Batman (a young, but not debutant neither, protagonist who is in his second year of service).
    also the fact that he is choosing upmarket brands to represent, he's not selling big macs or coke, it reflects on his own brand values within his own market.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    He's killing it in The Great, too. Completely different part to Bond, obviously, much more like Hugh Laurie's Prince Regent in Blackadder 3, but it shows he's got great range.
    Hoult is in my top 3 . It’s nice to see him gaining some support; when I first suggested him , at a time when Daniel’s return was in doubt, there were lots of detractors. Hoult has continued to grow as an actor and into his looks.
  • OK Magazine: Jamie Dornan, Régé-Jean Page & Henry Cavill Battling To Be The Next James Bond: Source

jamie-dornan-rege-jean-page-henry-cavill-battling-next-james-bond-1634838331474.jpg

Absolutely guaranteed to be a nonsense article. However, its seems the British tabloid press are starting early on rumours of Craig's successor. Personally speaking, Cavill is at a distant last place on that list for me. I'd say Page as the edge over Dornan. Nonetheless, I do like Dornan - especially in the My Dinner with Herve and A Private War. However, it's waaaaay to early to be speaking of frontrunners.

Also, I recently watched and really enjoyed the Dune reboot. I especially enjoyed the coming-of-age angle. It's something I think the Bond reboot could do if they go for a leading man in his 20's. Especially if they get someone has talented as Timothée Chalamet. He is in intensely swoony form in Dune. He has a magnetic Byronic pensiveness, which gives the coming-of-age element some heart. I've heard some suggest he isn't 'manly' enough. This is incorrect. Firstly, he looks like a young Christian Bale and whilst, not traditionally masculine, he has a rockstar sense of cool. He is just cool. That's what the new Bond needs to get younger audiences in. Perhaps the English equivalent is Harris Dickinson of soon to be Kingsman fame.

IaaZULQ.png
    FCK_ZTtXIAMhw5j?format=jpg&name=medium
    FCAD5VzX0AMNyeH?format=jpg&name=medium
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,318
    OK Magazine: Jamie Dornan, Régé-Jean Page & Henry Cavill Battling To Be The Next James Bond: Source

jamie-dornan-rege-jean-page-henry-cavill-battling-next-james-bond-1634838331474.jpg

Absolutely guaranteed to be a nonsense article. However, its seems the British tabloid press are starting early on rumours of Craig's successor. Personally speaking, Cavill is at a distant last place on that list for me. I'd say Page as the edge over Dornan. Nonetheless, I do like Dornan - especially in the My Dinner with Herve and A Private War. However, it's waaaaay to early to be speaking of frontrunners.

Also, I recently watched and really enjoyed the Dune reboot. I especially enjoyed the coming-of-age angle. It's something I think the Bond reboot could do if they go for a leading man in his 20's. Especially if they get someone has talented as Timothée Chalamet. He is in intensely swoony form in Dune. He has a magnetic Byronic pensiveness, which gives the coming-of-age element some heart. I've heard some suggest he isn't 'manly' enough. This is incorrect. Firstly, he looks like a young Christian Bale and whilst, not traditionally masculine, he has a rockstar sense of cool. He is just cool. That's what the new Bond needs to get younger audiences in. Perhaps the English equivalent is Harris Dickinson of soon to be Kingsman fame.

"I've heard some suggest he isn't 'manly' enough. This is incorrect.

He looks anorexic and unhealthy. What's with the pouting anyway? Oddjob for example would only need to sneeze to blow him away, let alone for him to whimper in a corner.

Also, no to all three of the others. Not suitable.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 12,837
    I rewatched A Prayer Before Dawn last night, and I reckon Joe Cole could be a good choice, I think I’ve seen him mentioned on here before. He showed real rawness and vulnerability in that film, so I think he could match Craig’s depth. He also did a good job of playing someone a bit more authorative and cooler in Gangs of London, and he was decent in Peaky Blinders too.
    OK Magazine: Jamie Dornan, Régé-Jean Page & Henry Cavill Battling To Be The Next James Bond: Source

IaaZULQ.png
    FCK_ZTtXIAMhw5j?format=jpg&name=medium
    FCAD5VzX0AMNyeH?format=jpg&name=medium

I appreciate you suggesting different sorts of names for it, and Chamelet is a cracking young actor, but I just can’t picture him as Bond, no matter how hard I try. I think he’d be better suited to some sort of cold, creepy assassin type.

If they wanted to go younger, maybe Jack O’Connell as Bond, with Chamalet as a kind of modern day Scaramanga, his dark mirror image?
    Nicholas Hoult would be great. One of my favourites. Actually, for me it's between him and Theo James.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah, I'm finding it hard to see Chalamet as anything resembling Bond. I like him well enough - he has a great face and his frame makes him a costume designers dream (some of his outfits in Dune were marvellous) but I don't find him to be as much of a commanding presence and that is where the Christian Bale comparison falls flat for me.
  • Benny wrote: »
    He has something about him that suggests he could do it. I can’t put my finger on it.

Has a literary Bond essence to him.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    At least in terms of his look, Hoult is becoming a serious contender.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,665

He surely is. And he can act. And is known. And is reputable since he was about 12, when he received brilliant reviews for About a boy, his second film.

Here he is, standing his ground with Sir Derek Jacobi in Tolkien.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Univex wrote: »

He surely is. And he can act. And is known. And is reputable since he was about 12, when he received brilliant reviews for About a boy, his second film.

Here he is, standing his ground with Sir Derek Jacobi in Tolkien.

He's got potential, i'm definitely going to have to look into what else he has done.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,834
    I'd be happy with Hoult. I don't think he has as much range as some other actors we've mentioned, but probably enough to take on the role of Bond.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,318
    A hard pass for me regarding Hoult. Tiny baby nose and teeth and a weak jawline. His voice isn't impressive either, which it should. Not impressed by his acting as well.
  • I’d give Hoult a chance to convince me. He doesn’t look particularly Bond to me, but I’m not really bothered about looks, and he’s a great actor. I haven’t seen him play anyone tough/dangerous before, but I know he can do charming pretty well, and maybe a lighter Bond is what we need next.
  • StarkStark France

Not enough charisma.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    A hard pass for me regarding Hoult. Tiny baby nose and teeth and a weak jawline. His voice isn't impressive either, which it should. Not impressed by his acting as well.

I see you commenting here a lot and being a dissenting voice for most that are suggested currently... So I've no offence meant by this question (and I realise I've not flipped through all the 833 pages here so apologies if this is repeat question or statement for you), I'm just generally curious. Who are your picks?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Finally! One I like, hope he's a good actor, and I hope EON at least auditions him:
    Nicholas Hoult. The right age, too, and I agree with Benny and others on here that he has something good and is a real possibility.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    The fact that major, upmarket brands are employing/trusting him with this type of work is a huge pointer IMHO plus they see that he is a "class act" re reflecting brand values Also the fact that he is happy to take on this type of work is also great as we know how hugely important product placement/branding is within Bond production. He is a very safe pair of hands in this area.

Yeah, apart from a couple of the names who are too old/famous to do it (Hardy, Elba, Fassbender etc.) he’s the only one who I think I know could do it. The others are all a bit riskier in terms of movie lead actor quality for me.
    That doesn’t mean the others can’t of course, it’s just that without the luxury of being able to screentest them he’s the only one I feel more sure of! :)
    I rewatched A Prayer Before Dawn last night, and I reckon Joe Cole could be a good choice, I think I’ve seen him mentioned on here before. He showed real rawness and vulnerability in that film, so I think he could match Craig’s depth. He also did a good job of playing someone a bit more authorative and cooler in Gangs of London, and he was decent in Peaky Blinders too.

He’s the new Harry Palmer of course, so he’s on the spy radar!
    00Heaven wrote: »

I see you commenting here a lot and being a dissenting voice for most that are suggested currently... So I've no offence meant by this question (and I realise I've not flipped through all the 833 pages here so apologies if this is repeat question or statement for you), I'm just generally curious. Who are your picks?

+1
    also curious because I agree with all your critiques but am at a loss as to a good candidate. All the actors I would have liked to see in the role are at least 10 years too old by now (way back it would have been Clive Owen, then Richard Armitage, then James McAvoy... not to mention I'd have loved to see two or three more films with Dalton. But I digress)
    Oh I can answer that he is a fan of Aidan turner only