Should we get a new M / Q / Moneypenny for BOND 26 and beyond ?

Comments

• Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    Regarding potential new actors, I have two or three suggestions for M: Mark Strong (maybe too close to Fiennes?), David Harewood (he reminds me of the M from the Dynamite comics) and Ciarán Hinds.

A black M could work well and David Harewood would be an excellent choice. Just the right age at 55 and a great speaking voice and authority.

I would also throw Hugh Quarshie into the mix, although older at 66 he is a fine actor.
  • 00180fc8-500.jpg
    I want to see him return to the franchise as M.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    With NTTD's ending, a full reboot would be needed. Having the same cast would suggest continuity and it's clear that Craig's Bond films are a separate story arc from the others.
    00180fc8-500.jpg

This I would love!
  • Someone from MI6 needs to return. Sometime in the past couple years, Ralph Fiennes said he wants to continue playing M. Ben Wishaw said he was retiring from playing Q, but more recently said he might be open to returning. It would be foolish to turn down either one. That said, Colin Salmon would make a badass M. Despite the relationship we've seen between Craig's Bond and Fiennes' M the past couple of films, M is the kind of chief whom Bond trusts and obeys implicitly. I can see Salmon easily embodying that character.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    00180fc8-500.jpg
    This would be epic. Make it so, EON.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    It would also continue the great tradition of us discussing whether M is always the same person or the person the actor previously played, or what is going on.
    For the continuity fans, it would seem like a natural process for Robinson to be promoted from Dep. Chief of Staff to head honcho off screen, and then perhaps Robinson's middle name could be revealed as starting with 'M'.
    It would be equally cool if he was the character from the Dynamite comics. Imagine Salmon's M in, say, Solstice, and that end scene in Trafalgar square.
  • QBranch wrote: »
    It would be equally cool if he was the character from the Dynamite comics. Imagine Salmon's M in, say, Solstice, and that end scene in Trafalgar square.
    "Solstice" could make a great, and very Flemingesque, basis for Bond 26. It shares a lot in common with "007 in New York" and could work in the same way than the "Living Daylights" short was used as a starting point for the movie.
    If they brought Colin Salmon back as the new "M" would that mean returning to the Connery - Brosnan timeline?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Gobi-1 wrote: »
    If they brought Colin Salmon back as the new "M" would that mean returning to the Connery - Brosnan timeline?

Insofar as that ever was a functioning timeline, I do think that is what they will go back to. But in the way they used to do it: Without ever outright acknowledging any most of the continuity. It would be like the unanswerable question whether Admiral Hargreaves took over as M, or Robert Brown played the same person as Bernard Lee did, or Brown's M is an altogether different character.

It would be an interesting experiment and really one they should try, whether audiences could take such a loose timeline where later films pick up some things from the previous ones and totally ignore others. And I think most audience members would be fine with it, because the don't really give a damn, either way.
    QBranch wrote: »
    "Solstice" could make a great, and very Flemingesque, basis for Bond 26. It shares a lot in common with "007 in New York" and could work in the same way than the "Living Daylights" short was used as a starting point for the movie.
    Completely agreed. There's nothing I would like more than to see this particular story faithfully adapted. It impressed me upon first read, there were little twists and moments that made me smile. We get a stand-alone PTS; a straight forward mission where M hands the dossier to Bond and he is left to complete it as he sees fit, and there is still a personal angle in there, if not in regard to Bond himself. Solstice is perfect. Extra points for being a Christmas Bond story too.
    Keep Fiennes as M. Keep Naomie as Moneypenny. Keep Whishaw as Q.
    Why not? We've the same M for different Bonds and Lois Maxwell had 3 different Bonds to play against! Bond is a fictional character, and we can easily suspend disbelief that it's still (kind of) the same Bond? They could even have a quip about his last mission nearly killing him. That's all it would take and back to business as usual.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    00180fc8-500.jpg

Yes, yes, and more yes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QBranch wrote: »
    For the continuity fans, it would seem like a natural process for Robinson to be promoted from Dep. Chief of Staff to head honcho off screen, and then perhaps Robinson's middle name could be revealed as starting with 'M'.

"Middle name" does start with an M.
    I wonder if this is a requirement in the job description?
    -Surname must begin with an M.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    M: either Ben Kingsley, Olivia Williams (is she too young?) or Gillian Anderson (she can do a great English accent, but she'd be great as a villain, too)

Moneypenny: Phoebe Fox or Nathalie Emmanuel

Q: if they're going to stick with the young Q idea, then Alex Lawther would have a similar vibe to Ben Whishaw.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,921
    M: either Ben Kingsley, Olivia Williams (is she too young?) or Gillian Anderson (she can do a great English accent, but she'd be great as a villain, too)

Moneypenny: Phoebe Fox or Nathalie Emmanuel

Q: if they're going to stick with the young Q idea, then Alex Lawther would have a similar vibe to Ben Whishaw.

A lot of good ideas here, Olivia Williams in particular. It would be interesting to see a younger M/political appointment finding her way.
    I do agree Olivia Williams has an M thing going on.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    On the subject of Olivia's. I think Olivia Colman would make a good M in the future.
  • Impossible for any actors to continue on due to what happened. How can they have the penultimate scene and then just carry on, won't work. Start again all new faces.
    I dont want to speak for others but my overall impression is that there is great warmth for the "trio" both within fandom and mainstream public. A new Bond would "hit the ground running" if they could retain all three but this "universe" thing does get in the way.
  • I always wanted to see Ben Kingsley as M but I think he might be a bit too old.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I definitely don't want any from Craig's era returning.
    But I'd love Colin to come in as M, sure. And no I certainly hope it does NOT mean reverting in any way to Brosnan's era, or any other era. Just make it fresh.
  • Colin would be a badass M.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, he would. And so would Idris (but I prefer him as Bond, though too old now). I don't think Idris would come on board as M. But he would be great. I think Colin is a superb idea, though, and doable.
    We are lucky in the UK for such a depth of talent re great supporting actors.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Salmon as M? That's not bad, actually.
  • M - Stephen Dillane

Q - Himesh Patel

Moneypenny - Eliza Butterworth

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    The three actors I'd like to see for M are either Lennie James, Olivia Colman or Noma Dumezweni.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Ian McKellen would have been an M-azing M, but he is getting a bit old now.