No Time To Die - Deleted Scenes *SPOILER warning*

Comments

• MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Venutius wrote: »
    maybe one day theses adverting things that are not in the final product will be considered like "false advertising".
    When I watch SF, I still miss the wry tilt of the head that Bond gave immediately before 'We're going to kill them first' in the trailer. That was way funnier than the ejector seat gag and cutting it trimmed, what, literally a second from the running time? Bad call, Sam.

Isn’t that line said to Kincaid before they start Home Alone-ing Skyfall Lodge?
    So I saw this clip was posted of the initial chase, with commentary by the director.

I watched the scene again and I have the same feeling as in the theater, that Bond is deaf and they deleted / trimmed that idea. You can see at 0:29 that he doesn't hear the car running behind him, and react with complete surprises when bullets actually lands around him.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Minion wrote: »
    Isn’t that line said to Kincaid before they start Home Alone-ing Skyfall Lodge?
    Yes, that's it. In the trailer there's a beat where Craig wryly tilts his head just before he says it that puts a black humour spin on it. It's a tiny thing, but cutting it took away some of the gallows humour and made the line seem a lot straighter in the actual film.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Stamper wrote: »
    So I saw this clip was posted of the initial chase, with commentary by the director.

I watched the scene again and I have the same feeling as in the theater, that Bond is deaf and they deleted / trimmed that idea. You can see at 0:29 that he doesn't hear the car running behind him, and react with complete surprises when bullets actually lands around him.
    I don’t think it was deleted or trimmed, I think they wanted Bond’s hearing ability to be muffled after the explosion and he gradually regains it throughout the initial chase.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,034
    jake24 wrote: »

I don’t think it was deleted or trimmed, I think they wanted Bond’s hearing ability to be muffled after the explosion and he gradually regains it throughout the initial chase.

Yeah, the sound mix is us hearing what Bond hears.

The sound mix only normalises once Bond ducks and misses the car.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 372
    Oh I didn't get that. I watched the clip online again and we hear the car coming before the bullet hits, to Bond surprise, so it doesn't make sense. If it was his hearing coming back gradually, he couldn't hear the car, just his inner footsteps and dialogue. I don't think they made it clearly work in the sound department for that moment. The sound during the whole film wasn't entirely good as other noticed, sometimes the dialogue was difficult to understand. That's weird because they had two years to perfect it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

That's great, I certainly didn't spot that Texas Switch when I saw it.
  • In the above clip commentary with Fukanaga Bond loses his tie between time 1m41 and 1m43..one minute he had it on and then he doesn't. I am guessing the behind the scene shots of Bond ripping off his tie happen at this point but end up being off camera..
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    He takes off the tie but it happens off camera. We can see Bond putting his hand on it at 1:41 but then the camera quickly moves to Primo. There are no continuity errors.
  • Yes. I agree. there is not a continuity error. it's just that the action takes place off camera. I think some people had been expecting to see this action take place on camera.
    Venutius wrote: »
    maybe one day theses adverting things that are not in the final product will be considered like "false advertising".
    When I watch SF, I still miss the wry tilt of the head that Bond gave immediately before 'We're going to kill them first' in the trailer. That was way funnier than the ejector seat gag and cutting it trimmed, what, literally a second from the running time? Bad call, Sam.

Do you have the link of that trailer?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,895

It's at 1.12. As I said, it's a tiny thing, but the tilt and the lift of the brows made me laugh when I saw the trailer and I did miss it when the film came out.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's very interesting to see things like that though: how they'll give subtle variations on performance for the director and editor to choose from later.
    Yeah, definitely. I particularly liked that take, though, because that kind of making light of a bad situation gallows humour is a very English way of dealing with things and I thought it was a great way to show that aspect of Bond's character in just a couple of minimal gestures.
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of it before today.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 13,879
    Some of you may remember, last year there was an article describing how in Cuba, Valdo pulls a gun from his jacket or case, which shoots out a rope and escapes from Nomi.
    So did Valdo have his own grappling gun, or was someone simply getting their 'wires' crossed with Nomi's own zip line descender-rig toy?
  • HeinsenbergHeinsenberg France
    8p1x.jpg

New BTS on Twitter and we can clearly see this u-turn in one shot. It looks much better than in the movie.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Thanks for sharing @Heinsenberg it looks a lot better in the movie, I wish they used a better angle because that's some great driving. The turn reminded of a similar turn in the QOS chase
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yes, that turn in the film is oddly edited and feels like two different moments stitched together.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Yes, that turn in the film is oddly edited and feels like two different moments stitched together.
    I don’t have an issue with it. It was clear to me what happened each time I watched it, however that might be helped by the fact that the I saw behind the scenes footage of the sequence 2 years before seeing the film.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 48

I think exactly the same.

This chase is my biggest disappointment of the movie. The "donut square" scene is great but the rest is too short and not very well edited.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    I don’t have an issue with it. It was clear to me what happened each time I watched it, however that might be helped by the fact that the I saw behind the scenes footage of the sequence 2 years before seeing the film.

It could be. I've only seen it the once and it certainly stood out to me as jarring. I love that whole stunt, though, and perhaps I need to see it a couple more times for it to "make sense," in a way.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    8p1x.jpg

New BTS on Twitter and we can clearly see this u-turn in one shot. It looks much better than in the movie.

I wonder how they stopped those sheep from going mad. It's a very loud car for one thing.
    matt_u wrote: »
    They cut my favorite shot of the film:

DajnMrN.jpg

That's absolutely beautiful.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Spoilers in the link below
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a37999304/no-time-to-die-alternate-ending-james-bond/

Interesting tidbit from editor Tom Cross regarding the ending, "it was never in doubt and there were no alternatives"

I suppose we knew that anyway but it's interesting that he compared it to OHMSS and also how they battled for the Norway sequence at the start of the film
    And it ties in perfectly with all of the end of the day 'sundown' imagery and symbolism that was emphasised in one of the recent in-depth reviews of NTTD. When a film's this long anyway, it seems a real shame to lose shots like this just to trim a second or two.
  • Perhaps this has already been said. Wasn't there suppose to be a rooftop scene between bond and madeline aswell in matera?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    matt_u wrote: »
    That was 100% cut.

This one was kept tho and it's even better imo:

xgkckxigo5r51.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=007462ebd650197e50aab944de08467c961ee52a

Anyway I suggest to go see it again. Every time gets better for me.

Foreshadowing?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Perhaps this has already been said. Wasn't there suppose to be a rooftop scene between bond and madeline aswell in matera?
    I remember seeing a photo of a dinner table with candles and wine, but it was suspected by some to be unrelated to the film.