Marvel Cinematic Universe (2008 - present)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The films are about Peter learning his own self-worth. It's an exaggeration to say Tony Stark was always helping him, when he's only in like 7 minutes, and the whole point of the film is that he CAN'T call for Tony to help. He has to learn on his own that he's much better off as the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man of Queens than as a globetrotting Avenger. The irony with the second film is that he is on a school field trip in Europe, and yet Nick Fury (or so we thought) is trying to recruit him when he just wants to stay on his own corner, as that's part of the theme of him feeling the pressure to step up as the next Tony Stark. But he can't be the next Tony Stark, he just wants to be Peter Parker, but then THAT is taken away from him at the end.

It'll be interesting to see what the extent of Dr. Strange's role is beyond getting Peter mixed up with the multiverse. It looks more substantial than Tony Stark's, but that could very well be the trailer trying to lean harder on the MCU. We'll see.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It does look like he’s along for the ride a bit more, doesn’t it. I wonder how they’ll split them up and give SM his solo moments.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I just realized there is just one MCU movie I haven t seen: GOTG 2, due to how I disliked the first one. Maybe I should give it a go at some point, just for completion s sake.

I liked GOTG 2 mainly because of Kurt Russel he is highly amusing in that film, in fact I watch GOTG 2 far more than the first film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    What IF... Doctor Strange
    is a version of Kang in disguise in the No Way Home Trailer.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    That latest What If…? was pretty dark. Goes to show just how dangerous anyone in a certain suit can wipe out all the heroes.
    Not watched any of the What IF... shows I unsubscribed from Disney+ though will likely re sub when Star Wars Visions is available.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I’m not a big fan of this trailer, and it got me quite nervous for the film. It seems like it will be quite messy, with three story lines playing out (Peter Parker being revealed as Spider-Man, Doctor Strange and the multi-verse, the actual multi-verse with Green Goblin and Doc Ock). I love Homecoming, and Far From Home was all right, but I would just rather see Tom Holland have his own Spider-Man story without the need for them to include Tony Stark/Nick Fury or any of the other Avengers. Just let Spider-Man be Spider-Man.

This.He’s not really Spider-Man.More like Iron Man JR.Spider Man is a character who’s well able to carry a movie by himself and there are so many great storylines they could use from the comics.Marvel can’t seem to make any films/shows now that are truly standalone.
    The films are about Peter learning his own self-worth. It's an exaggeration to say Tony Stark was always helping him, when he's only in like 7 minutes, and the whole point of the film is that he CAN'T call for Tony to help. He has to learn on his own that he's much better off as the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man of Queens than as a globetrotting Avenger. The irony with the second film is that he is on a school field trip in Europe, and yet Nick Fury (or so we thought) is trying to recruit him when he just wants to stay on his own corner, as that's part of the theme of him feeling the pressure to step up as the next Tony Stark. But he can't be the next Tony Stark, he just wants to be Peter Parker, but then THAT is taken away from him at the end.

It'll be interesting to see what the extent of Dr. Strange's role is beyond getting Peter mixed up with the multiverse. It looks more substantial than Tony Stark's, but that could very well be the trailer trying to lean harder on the MCU. We'll see.
    I mean I am being quite harsh on Homecoming, because I do really like it. And yes, while Tony Stark isn’t in the film that much, he’s alway on your mind because every decision Spider-Man makes is to impress Tony Stark. A lot more of my issues come from Far From Home, as that feels more like a MCU movie rather than a Spider-Man movie, where as Homecoming got the perfect balance. I’m worried No Way Home will go down a similar path to Far From Home.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Denbigh wrote: »

Oh dear.
  • Recently I watched Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings in cinema and I have to say that it was a good Marvel movie.
    Wenwu/The Mandarin is top MCU villian and Shang -Chi is a likeable hero.
    His fight in the bus was excellent.
    Denbigh wrote: »

I would love to see that musical !
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm a bit behind on them because they've seemed pretty inessential, but the 4th What If (where Dr Strange loses his heart) is actually genuinely good.
  • I’ve spent the last few weeks/months watching the MCU movies and updated my rankings for the first time in a couple of years. I know it’s controversial.

1. Avengers: Infinity War (-)
    2. Thor Ragnarok (+1)
    3. Captain America: Civil War (+6)
    4. Avengers: Endgame (-2)
    5. Black Widow (-)
    6. Iron Man 3 (+9)
    7. Spider-Man Homecoming (+3)
    8. Ant-Man (-2)
    9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (+3)
    10. Black Panther (-6)
    11. The Avengers (-)
    12. Iron Man (-5)
    13. Spider-Man: Far From Home (+1)
    14. Thor (-1)
    15. Guardians of the Galaxy (-7)
    16. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (NEW)
    17. Avengers: Age of Ultron (+7)
    18. The Incredible Hulk (+2)
    19. Captain America: The First Avenger (-1)
    20. Captain Marvel (-1)
    21. Doctor Strange (-4)
    22. Ant-Man and the Wasp (-6)
    23. Thor: The Dark World (-1)
    24. Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 (-3)
    25. Iron Man 2 (-2)

WandaVision would go inbeteeen Endgame and Black Widow, Falcon and the Winter Soldier just below Guardians 2 but above Iron Man 2, and Loki just ahead of Doctor Strange.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I just watched Black Widow; I'm know I'm late to the party but it's quite fun, isn't it? I'd say it feels much fresher than stuff like Falcon & Winter Soldier.
    Only problem is that although Scarlett Johansson is very decent, they seem to manage to assemble a guest cast of allies who were all more interesting to watch than she is! :)
    Is there a plan to make Florence Pugh the new Black Widow or anything? It's been clear she's a natural star for a few years now but I assume this has really put her on the map? Sorry, I haven't really been following Marvel stuff.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    Is there a plan to make Florence Pugh the new Black Widow or anything? It's been clear she's a natural star for a few years now but I assume this has really put her on the map? Sorry, I haven't really been following Marvel stuff.
    Yeah, she'll definitely be appearing in the future, and quite soon I might add.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    That's good, she'll the first of the new bunch of Marvels that makes me at all interested to watch any of it, if indeed she is one of the main stars (although I haven't seen Shang Chi yet).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    That's good, she'll the first of the new bunch of Marvels that makes me at all interested to watch any of it.
    Right? Haha. Florence is always great.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Funny thing is I guessed that some of this film was shot on Hankley Common (best known on here as the location of Skyfall lodge) because it looked just like it - I had a google and indeed it was! Funny how a bit of heathland can be recognisable!
  • Two nice things about BW shooting at Pinewood, 1) it uses a lot of the same crew and filming locations as Bond, 2) it makes it really easy to tell what scenes are reshoots because they were all filmed in Atlanta.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I just watched Black Widow; I'm know I'm late to the party but it's quite fun, isn't it? I'd say it feels much fresher than stuff like Falcon & Winter Soldier.
    Only problem is that although Scarlett Johansson is very decent, they seem to manage to assemble a guest cast of allies who were all more interesting to watch than she is! :)

I honestly wonder if creating characters that'll have recurring roles in upcoming parts of the MCU was the real goal, since we got really nothing new for Natasha, the character the movie was supposed to be about.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I don't know if I'd expect to see all of her 'family' again (even if they were all more charismatic than her!), but Pugh certainly. You may well be right though, everyone seems to pop up in several films. I imagine William Hurt thought they'd let him rest by this point, but he's back again doing his Colonel Decker routine! :)
    I think if you do a Marvel film you have to sign a contract which says 'we reserve the right to force you to appear in these films indefinitely' :D
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Isn't Pugh going to be in the Hawkeye TV Series?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The post credits scene pretty much said so, I guess, yes. I hope they use her in some more films though (if she wants to!).
    Eternals is now the lowest rated film of the MCU according to rotten tomatoes.

Even the shill critics have had enough of all the woke crap that has been plaguing the MCU.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Even the shill critics have had enough of all the woke crap that has been plaguing the MCU.

Considering almost all the reviews I've read don't even mention any "wokeness", and merely talk about the film's length and tired plot, maybe get your head out of your sore shouting points and let people who will enjoy them do so.

What does ‘woke’ mean? I see this phrase thrown around a lot by angry nerds and would love to know what they’re referring to.
    TR007 wrote: »

What does ‘woke’ mean? I see this phrase thrown around a lot by angry nerds and would love to know what they’re referring to.

It stopped meaning anything real when it started being thrown around as much as it is. Now it's just a trigger phrase used by those of low self esteem and high self importance.
    TR007 wrote: »

It stopped meaning anything real when it started being thrown around as much as it is. Now it's just a trigger phrase used by those of low self esteem and high self importance.

Thank you. I honestly do find it confusing to get my head around. It often sounds like a movie is 'woke' if every character in the story is not an aggressively heterosexual white male. So bizarre.