NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Members' Reviews and Discussions (SPOILERS)

Comments

All I know is that if they had done another DAD after DAD, the film would have been a catastrophic financial failure and almost certainly would have been the last Bond film ever made.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    There is always a hunger for that in the world in general because Bond is truly wish fulfillment for so many people. As the general template Bond, I mean. That is why the allure of a Bond movie has lasted. This character and his adventures are something that millions of people want to picture themselves as or doing. I think it really is that simple. Some of us want things grittier at times, sometimes lighter, but we all want a good story well told and take us to another world that we can vicariously enjoy while seating in a theater.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 3,272
    mattjoes wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I loved that M scene. Wonderfully played by Fiennes and Craig. I must say I really liked Fiennes' look in this film. He's very classic old school here. I thought he was brilliant in this film.

Agreed. Fiennes belongs in the same boat as Lee and Brown. He's a superb actor and a fine M.

I really hope he continues playing the part. And he wants to do it!

Here is the problem. How can he, now they have killed Bond off, for another to be in his place, and M acts like nothing has ever happened? This is where it will really stretch the credibility of the franchise, and test the fans. I would like the current Scooby gang to return too, but EON have boxed themselves into a silly, unnecessary corner now.
    I expect a totally new crew; that's fine. No big deal. Happens every new Bond actor with few exceptions. With the ending we just got, no none of them should return. It would be, at least at first, jarring and take us out of the new film. No - just a whole new crew. Nothing to get upset over with that. Ralph had a great run. Time for the next group that will fit the new Bond. I doubt EON is worried and biting nails over this.

If they keep any of them, we could get used to it I suppose - but it seems wholly unnecessary. And not a big deal.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I can’t understand the desire to see some of the MI6 actors returning, other than to just evoke the days old Bond films carrying over supporting actors with new Bond leads. That was fine, even though questionable with Dench, because the previous films were essentially stand-alone films so it wasn’t anything. With how the Craig era played, I just can’t imagine the actors NOT being a distraction and just giving people more reason to believe Bond is just a codename. It feels inappropriate. I rather they start anew with a different cast, maybe even being back Messervy and Boothroyd with new actors to hit home that it’s not related to Craig’s films.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Agreed.
    I can’t understand the desire to see some of the MI6 actors returning, other than to just evoke the days old Bond films carrying over supporting actors with new Bond leads.

Can't you want an actor to return because you like their acting?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 7,999
    I can’t understand the desire to see some of the MI6 actors returning, other than to just evoke the days old Bond films carrying over supporting actors with new Bond leads.

Can't you want an actor to return because you like their acting?

They’re highly prolific actors you can see in so many other works, which you couldn’t say of Desmond Llewelyn and Lois Maxwell. Has Caroline Bliss been nominated for awards season that I’m unaware of?

I think it’s okay to just let go of the cast and start anew. I rather keep Judi Dench an exception.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I regret that Wishaw, Harris, Fiennes, ... aren't coming back but I can easily accept that. Enough good actors out there that can land these roles and excel in them.
  • BenjaminBenjamin usa
    I don't think the M played by Fiennes can come back anyway because of Heracles. Seems like an illegal weapons project that might even wind him up in prison?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Benjamin wrote: »
    I don't think the M played by Fiennes can come back anyway because of Heracles. Seems like an illegal weapons project that might even wind him up in prison?

I had a similar thought - if M was being forced to retire in SF due to her bungled handling of the hard drive, surely Fiennes wouldn't be around any more due to the Heracles Project and what happened with it.
    Surely, if it's a different universe, then there is no Heracles project? This is how things get confusing.
    If they're rebooting Bond, they can reboot M, which doesn't imply they have to change the actor.

I don't see that bringing back M is going to get everyone confused, or make them assume Bond is a codename. We went through that with Judi Dench in CR and the moviegoers got it.

That said, I think that they'll probably recast the role of M. I hope they prove me wrong.
  • BenjaminBenjamin usa
    edited October 2021 Posts: 59
    patb wrote: »
    Surely, if it's a different universe, then there is no Heracles project? This is how things get confusing.

I'm one of those fans who has has sometimes thought that it's maybe somewhat better overall if it's all one universe, which would make James Bond a role that different people have filled over many years. But I don't know. There's no way to really make that work either. It is a puzzle. Perhaps better to ignore completely NTTD for the next one and start fresh? It's a conundrum.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I regret that Wishaw, Harris, Fiennes, ... aren't coming back but I can easily accept that. Enough good actors out there that can land these roles and excel in them.

They take so much time producing this films that they could cast Elba as the new M…
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited October 2021 Posts: 23,448
    matt_u wrote: »

They take so much time producing this films that they could cast Elba as the new M…

I would be joyful for that.

To his credit, he bombed all the evidence.

• BenjaminBenjamin usa
    I think Idris Elba as the new M would be great casting.

I would miss Fiennes, but c'est la vie.

(And good Fiennes Volemort clip @MakeshiftPython lol!)
    matt_u wrote: »

The ultimate twist, one that Elba never saw coming.
    Can I just interrupt to say that the Instagram account called ‘steppingthroughfilm’ has today posted a lengthy story of their trip to Matera, specifically the aqueduct, and you’ll all love it.
    Oh you mean nothing to do with the actual movie being filmed in Matera? Just someone who went there? Is that correct?
    In the next Bond film there should be zero mention of any elements of the story in NTTD (Heracles or anything) or Spectre or any of Craig's films. In the new one, none of that happened; especially story wise. Different, please.
    Oh you mean nothing to do with the actual movie being filmed in Matera? Just someone who went there? Is that correct?
    No, all about the film’s location. The account goes to film locations and takes snaps, matching shots. This is interesting because of the views he takes and background about Matera. Check it out.

Ok so just matching shots. Thanks. :)
    And here is the nicest gif I have seen in awhile, with this character that I think is universally appreciated and not controversial. Just add the music ...
    ertert wrote: »
    Somewhat off topic but I still find it amusing how in movies the characters are able to have a regular-volume conversation after enduring close quarters gunfire in a small room like the one where Safin and Bond meet.

Safin throws the pillow into the air and his guards fire at it. I thought that was a really sinister move on his part, but then they are all totally unaffected by it and have a long discussion.

In reality they would all be experiencing the disorientation that Bond did after the bomb went off at the beginning. Not to mention poor Mathilde growing up with permanent hearing damage.

Handguns are extremely and painfully loud but rifles like the ones his guards have are almost incomprehensibly loud when when fired indoors. There's a concussive force you feel in your chest if your are close to one discharging. It wasn't until I'd fired one that I realized how unrealistic these scenes always are. You really have no idea until you've been at an indoor range. Even with good ear protection it's extremely loud.

I've been there in real life and the concussion can feel like a baseball bat across the back of your head. That said it's the Bond universe which is a fantasy. How do I know.....................I've owned an Aston Martin DB5 and there is NO WAY it would have survived that chase and probably would not have even started back at the hotel.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    In the next Bond film there should be zero mention of any elements of the story in NTTD (Heracles or anything) or Spectre or any of Craig's films. In the new one, none of that happened; especially story wise. Different, please.

+1

Fresh cast and most important of all FRESH WRITING team, who have no connection to P&W
    What if they reboot the character of Bond, but Daniel Craig keeps playing him? In a new continuity, of course.

:O
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    What if they reboot the character of Bond, but Daniel Craig keeps playing him? In a new continuity, of course.

:O

You having a laugh...?
    It opens with Craig in a yellow life raft, with a random girl.

“This always happened to the other fella”