Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited October 2021 Posts: 4,343
    I have the feeling the new Bond actor won't be a canonical white male this time around.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I’m going to go with a possibly overly optimistic guess of 2023, for a 2024 release date. I don’t think they’ll start looking and planning until next year, Barbara’s said as much. And the days of a film every two years are behind us. But I think the longer gap last time was in part because they were trying to lure Craig back (hard to plan the next film when it might be a sequel or might be a reboot), which won’t be an issue this time. And now that Amazon are involved, they might want the films out a bit quicker. The war between the big players seems to be heating up a bit, and Bond could be a real asset for Amazon.

That's one question about the sequence of events leading up to a new actor being anounced and then a film to start shooting: Do they wait until the Amazon-MGM deal has fully gone through and Amazon has done at least a first overhaul of the structures at MGM? Or do they just go ahead themselves and Amazon's input can come whenever they are ready to give it?
    Because for the last search for a new Bond, they had already hired Campbell to direct the film and he directed the screen tests of the actors. Hiring a director for the first Bond film in the "Amazon era" might be something they want input on, right?
  • BenjaminBenjamin usa
    edited October 2021 Posts: 59
    My guess is that the new Bond will be announced in late 2022. The new movie will likely be filmed starting in late 2023, with a release possibly as soon as late 2024, but more likely 2025.

My guess is that there will be a desire to pick up the pace of releases, aiming for a new Bond film every three years going forward.

Although EON has said they won't do TV, I wonder if Amazon financed a lavish spin-off movie if they'd consider putting Nomi and Paloma together as a team?
    It would be nice if the folks involved in making the next film spend as much time on a script as the fans on this site spend debating an actor to portray Bond the next time around ! With all the time they have had, and will have, then, well in advance of production, they should have a tight, well-considered script ready for the next several films, not just the next one !
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m going to go with a possibly overly optimistic guess of 2023, for a 2024 release date. I don’t think they’ll start looking and planning until next year, Barbara’s said as much. And the days of a film every two years are behind us. But I think the longer gap last time was in part because they were trying to lure Craig back (hard to plan the next film when it might be a sequel or might be a reboot), which won’t be an issue this time. And now that Amazon are involved, they might want the films out a bit quicker. The war between the big players seems to be heating up a bit, and Bond could be a real asset for Amazon.

That's one question about the sequence of events leading up to a new actor being anounced and then a film to start shooting: Do they wait until the Amazon-MGM deal has fully gone through and Amazon has done at least a first overhaul of the structures at MGM? Or do they just go ahead themselves and Amazon's input can come whenever they are ready to give it?
    Because for the last search for a new Bond, they had already hired Campbell to direct the film and he directed the screen tests of the actors. Hiring a director for the first Bond film in the "Amazon era" might be something they want input on, right?

Yes I’ve been saying that too: it seems likely we’ll get a director before a new Bond. ‘23 sounds a believable (optimistic) date for an announcement.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 624
    It took them 5 years without an actor change. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt with 2026.

The issue with that gap though was them not knowing if there’d be an actor change or not. Fugunaka has said he pitched for a reboot at one point, because they didn’t know if DC would return, while Barbara was trying to lure him back. It wasn’t until 2017 that Craig announced he was definitely doing one more, and the wheels got turning. Then there were creative issues due to people having different ideas of how that run should end (Boyle and Hodge disagreeing with Craig/EON).

This time around, they know they need a new actor, so I’d imagine it’ll be easier to plan. And there won’t be the same expectations there were for Craig’s last film, and the next actor will probably have a lot less clout than DC (at least at first), so I think creative differences will be less of an issue. Could be wrong though, I guess we really have no way of knowing.

Makes sense. I'd be willing to change my argument to 2025 for Bond 26. I think after reading more responses We'll get a director in late 2022, actor in 2023, filming in 23/24, release in 2025.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    One hopes they havent wasted the last 18 months of lockdown, and have a solid idea for the series’ next direction and ideas, even if they are only noted down on paper.
    Univex wrote: »
    I think it'll all be sooner than we think. Call it a hunch ;)

I'd say end of 2022, for a 2023 or 2024 release.

But hey, I'm a positivist :)... sometimes.

I hope you're right, but what worries me is that they seem to really struggle writing a James Bond film nowadays. They keep on saying how hard is to write Bond for wide audiences...
    matt_u wrote: »

I hope you're right, but what worries me is that they seem to really struggle writing a James Bond film nowadays. They keep on saying how hard is to write Bond for wide audiences...

I think Purvis and Wade said that. Well, after 7 films... time to leave?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Honestly I'll trust EON with whoever they get for the role :)
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Benjamin wrote: »
    My guess is that the new Bond will be announced in late 2022. The new movie will likely be filmed starting in late 2023, with a release possibly as soon as late 2024, but more likely 2025.

My guess is that there will be a desire to pick up the pace of releases, aiming for a new Bond film every three years going forward.

Although EON has said they won't do TV, I wonder if Amazon financed a lavish spin-off movie if they'd consider putting Nomi and Paloma together as a team?

Exactly my thoughts and feelings I have shared before as well. I'd be offended (I hardly ever am) if they sat still the past couple years in covid limbo, doing nothing. Lots of progress could have been made, script wise, search for the new Bond wise, production wise etc.

Let's throw Amazon into the mix, a clear signal, a signal of change. They'd want their money back with their mammoth investment. I am quite sure we will learn who the new Bond is in '22, perhaps very early '23. Gents, we are in for a wild ride, so hold on to your vodka martini's.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.

Plus, there are so many things up in the air, that it is really hard to predict a timeline at all let alone a short one.

Does Michael G. Wilson stay on?
    Will Purvis & Wade return?
    If not, how does the scriptwriting process work? Many directors nowadays want to either write themselves or have a set writing partner. But if you get more of a working director, who will shoot any script you give them, wouldn't you want that to be developed pretty far before you look for a director?
    Should there be an outline for a series of films before any of this? Who writes that?
    How involved in the direction the film takes will the actor be? Do you write a film and then look for an actor that fits or do you get the best Bond you can find and then write a film around them? And again, how far into the future are you planning with the new guy?
    What is the budget going to be? What kind of influence will Amazon want/have?
    And so on. It's all very up in the air.
    Mallory wrote: »

I think Purvis and Wade said that. Well, after 7 films... time to leave?

Barbara said it too.

Just think about how painful and complicated was to pen the last two films.

Cary said that NTTD was basically consistently rewritten during filming and that it was a miracle that the film ended up cohesive. And that was after almost three years of development since P&W started working on the script early 2017.
  • BenjaminBenjamin usa
    edited October 2021 Posts: 59
    ....What is the budget going to be? What kind of influence will Amazon want/have? And so on. It's all very up in the air.

I heard one estimate that NTTD ended up costing around $250 million, which is high even for a Bond movie. They were trying to do one of the ultimate Bond movies, and I think they pulled it off. DC's payday alone was about 10% of that.

For the next one I'd guess a still lavish but somewhat reined in $200 million or so.

I think Amazon will encourage faster production, and try to facilitate that, but otherwise won't try to micromanage. Overall EON has done an amazing job for 60 years, through lots of ups and downs, and I think they will be very careful not to kill the goose that's been laying these golden eggs all this time. Amazon might more or less be in the role of saying, "how can we assist you in making more good golden eggs? What do you need?"
    Money is not a problem. Amazon is paying one billion for two seasons of The Lord of the Rings alone.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Plus, there are so many things up in the air, that it is really hard to predict a timeline at all let alone a short one.

If not, how does the scriptwriting process work? Many directors nowadays want to either write themselves or have a set writing partner. But if you get more of a working director, who will shoot any script you give them, wouldn't you want that to be developed pretty far before you look for a director?
    Should there be an outline for a series of films before any of this? Who writes that?
    How involved in the direction the film takes will the actor be? Do you write a film and then look for an actor that fits or do you get the best Bond you can find and then write a film around them? And again, how far into the future are you planning with the new guy?

I think ultimately you probably write the film first and then cast it, although to some extent if you find the right guy he'll probably shoehorn in in some way (Craig after all was slightly miscast for the younger Bond they seemed to have in mind for CR).
    Personally I know lots of fans say they shouldn't have a story arc unless it's planned from the beginning, but I'm not sure many films work like that; especially Bond films where they throw absolutely everything they have at the one they're making there and then. Some vague ideas of where it can go are fine, but in terms of a solid arc you might even find writers would want extra pay for that! If you're making them back-to-back then fine, but I have no massive with them writing it as they go.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,035
    mtm wrote: »

I think ultimately you probably write the film first and then cast it, although to some extent if you find the right guy he'll probably shoehorn in in some way (Craig after all was slightly miscast for the younger Bond they seemed to have in mind for CR).
    Personally I know lots of fans say they shouldn't have a story arc unless it's planned from the beginning, but I'm not sure many films work like that; especially Bond films where they throw absolutely everything they have at the one they're making there and then. Some vague ideas of where it can go are fine, but in terms of a solid arc you might even find writers would want extra pay for that! If you're making them back-to-back then fine, but I have no massive with them writing it as they go.

Amusingly, in the film when he has been poisoned and in the Aston, one of the doctors giving him advice refers to him as a “kid”. Probably a minor script hangover from when they were targeting a much younger actor. Craig at 38 isnt a kid 😂
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    I hope it's not going to be that long... But it's probably going to be that long, isn't it?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think we have a new Bond announced in 2 years and a new film in 4. .
  • Antster007Antster007 Somewhere, keeping the British end up
    Ed Skrein
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Antster007 wrote: »
    Ed Skrein

He looks the part, but I'm still waiting for him to have a role where he exudes star quality and presence. His turn in Transporter Whatever unfortunately reminded viewers that Statham has that certain something that Skrein doesn't. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, though, he does have a cold, tough look to him.
    Ed Skrein

He looks the part, but I'm still waiting for him to have a role where he exudes star quality and presence. His turn in Transporter Whatever unfortunately reminded viewers that Statham has that certain something that Skrein doesn't. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, though, he does have a cold, tough look to him.

It’s been pointed out that he looks like a harder version of Hoult but I think Hoult is the stronger actor.
    Skrein is henchman material, especially with that face
  • Antster007Antster007 Somewhere, keeping the British end up
    He could easily play a bad guy. I just think he has what it takes to be bond.
    He could easily play a bad guy. I just think he has what it takes to be bond.

He could play a henchman to Hoult’s Bond; in a shocking moment it is revealed that they are brothers.

Wait…. Scratch that .
    Those teeth alone should rule him out. Blasphemous almost. Boyband material, tops.

6d60350c-9b77-11eb-96e6-d37a490b7fc7.jpg?width=1152&format=jpg

He smiles too much and I stopped trusting pretty faces for Bond long ago.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Those teeth alone should rule him out. Blasphemous almost. Boyband material, tops.

6d60350c-9b77-11eb-96e6-d37a490b7fc7.jpg?width=1152&format=jpg

He smiles too much and I stopped trusting pretty faces for Bond long ago.

Ha. It's evident he loves his own smile. While Rege should go burst out in singing on some stage, we need our Bond to be a rugged and weathered, somewhat handsome bastard, with an edge. Too much to ask?
  • BenjaminBenjamin usa
    What about James Norton, who has done Grantchester, as well as several other things.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    I think Page will be a good Simon Templar, if they ever make it (which I don't think they will).
    Benjamin wrote: »
    What about James Norton, who has done Grantchester, as well as several other things.

Sadly quite a poor actor with hardly any screen presence. He looks like an English teacher to me.