TLD silver anniversary today !

edited June 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,637
Watch out for Necros ;)

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well spotted. Where have those 25 years gone? I've still got the hour long premiere show hosted by Nick Owen and Lois Maxwell on VHS somewhere from the days a Bond premiere was a big national event.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Nice catch, Tracy.

Happy 25th birthday to my favourite Bond film. =D> <:-P
    25 years? I'm getting old. I still remember seeing at the cinema.

Happy B day TLD, my 2nd favourite Bond film <:-P
    Jeez! Really? I was only 13 then! Where has all the time gone! Happy 25th TLD! =D>
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Happy anniversary TLD, truly one of the best movies in the franchise!
    Happy B-Day to the best bond of the '80s

<:-P
    Happy 25th to The Living Daylights!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I wonder - do you think Timothy took note of this anniversary? I so wish him well. I really enjoy TLD.
    What is M. D'Abo up to these days?
  • I was only a month old when TLD was released. The first Bond I would see in theaters was Die Another Day. Can't believe that its almost been 10 years since that came out.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Happy birthday to LTD then. One of my favourite Bond-films, without a doubt. And one of my favourite songs too!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    My word, it seems like only yesterday that I saw the premiere event on ITV hosted by Lois Maxwell and Nick Owen.
    Then my parents took me to see it at Bournemouth cinema a few days later.
    25 years later, and it still remains one of my favourites of the series. Happy anniversary The Living Daylights. =D>

*A-ha nods and approves*
  • Wow, time flies. When I first saw GF it was an "old" film because it was 16 years old at the time! I wonder if 11 year olds think of TLD as "old" now..? I guess they must but it's hard to wrap my head around it.
    Actually it seems longer than 25 years maybe, must be the steady flow of other Bond releases we have seen in the meantime, although only seven further Bond releases since 1987 though thus far

It's not so much the quarter century celebrations, it's merely with this, James Bond got serious again and back on track, after Moore threatened to sink the franchise beyond trace towards the end of his tenure. Dalton made his debut, it was a big success, Bond became believable once again

Here's how it all came together

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Happy Birthday to a top teir Bond film.
    For me, TLD's 25th anniversary won't be until late July.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A happy anniversary to Dalton's first 007 film.
    Happy 25th Anniversary to my third favourite Bond film!
    Tracy wrote:

*A-ha nods and approves*

What year was this concert?

• ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    That's bonkers. I was 16 and The Living Daylights was the first Bond movie I saw in the cinema. Somehow I kept missing the others although I had seen loads on tv.

I distinctly remember watching the premier special on tv and they were making a big deal about it being 25 years since Dr No. I remember thinking 'wow, 25 years is such a long time.' Now I'm thinking 'wow, 25 years is such a short time!'
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Aw, the 25th anniversary of the the 25th anniversary Bond film!

Starting at 6:05 there's a promo for TLD and the (then) new 007 Dalton from the 25th Anniversary Bond special:

Happy Big 2-5 to the last truly classic Bond film(with the possible exception of CR'06).
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Happy 25th LTD, I was 25 when I saw it in the cinema - kind of feel a bit old now! Let's hope this year's offering is as good.
    First Bond I saw in the cinema and still one of my favourites. It has stood the test of time reasonably well. It has its weak points, as do most of the films, but IMO it has some of the best sequences in the entire series. The first half is very solid and although it gets a bit iffy later on, it sustains the tension right up until the end. I attribute that at least in part to John Glen.

IMO it was also Dalt's best performance. For all the talk of LTK being his high point, I've always felt that it was TLd that he really nailed the role - a significant achievement for a first movie.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

Starting at 6:05 there's a promo for TLD and the (then) new 007 Dalton from the 25th Anniversary Bond special:

Happy Big 2-5 to the last truly classic Bond film(with the possible exception of CR'06).

Thanks for sharing this video. I love to hear Dalton talk about Bond. He really understood what the character was all about and he was way ahead of his time.
    Happy special birthday to one of my all time favourite Bond movies. I'll be watching you later on!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Congrats to a really good Bond adventure!
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,594

Yeah, I agree with this statement. Although LTK for me is a good film but it's obviously not in that classic Bond mould. CR is also a good film but the same applies to an extent.

You know, as much as I love Connery as Bond in the first two films (still my favourite Bond actor in DN and FRWL, with Dalton coming in at a very close second), when I see him play Bond, I just think of him as Sean Connery, the actor, playing Bond, and the same goes for all the other actors except for Dalton. When I see the latter in the role, I think of him as James Bond and not an actor playing the character. I suppose this can be partly attributed to the fact that Dalton has had less roles than the others, or atleast less mainstream parts, with the exception of Lazenby, but this man isn't a great talent anyway.

• Absolutely my favourite Bond film. As a 12 year old I remember seeing the trailer on Film '87 and couldn't wait for the fight scene hanging out the back of the Hercules. Went from Dublin to London on holiday the Friday it opened and saw it in the Odeon Leicester sq. It was the best cinema experience of watching a Bond movie. I still recall the opening MGM/UA credits with the music, the red cross disclaimer and then the pre-title. From the go the audience were completely into it, wincing when Necros burns the butler's face in the kitchen, laughing at the funny bits and at the very end applauding. Applauding! I walked out desperately trying to recall Necros' theme tune. Dalton was great. Met the man the following year and he was a gentleman. I dragged my poor Mum to see that film with me several times, years later she revealed she didn't like it but she knew I loved it. Thanks Mum.
    Absolutely my favourite Bond film. As a 12 year old I remember seeing the trailer on Film '87 and couldn't wait for the fight scene hanging out the back of the Hercules. Went from Dublin to London on holiday the Friday it opened and saw it in the Odeon Leicester sq. It was the best cinema experience of watching a Bond movie. I still recall the opening MGM/UA credits with the music, the red cross disclaimer and then the pre-title. From the go the audience were completely into it, wincing when Necros burns the butler's face in the kitchen, laughing at the funny bits and at the very end applauding. Applauding! I walked out desperately trying to recall Necros' theme tune. Dalton was great. Met the man the following year and he was a gentleman. I dragged my poor Mum to see that film with me several times, years later she revealed she didn't like it but she knew I loved it. Thanks Mum.

And some people round here will tell you that Dalton wasn't popular.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,594
    TLD was the first Bond film I saw in the cinema at the tender age of 10. My parents took me obviously. To this day, it is still up there with the best of them. My third favourite after FRWL and OHMSS.

"I dragged my poor Mum to see that film with me several times, years later she revealed she didn't like it but she knew I loved it. Thanks Mum."

What a great mum!