The Cinematography of NTTD - Linus Sandgren

Comments

• HeinsenbergHeinsenberg France
    EQxEQ2kW4AAYM-9?format=jpg&name=large

EQtSoHZVAAApI9l?format=jpg&name=large

These wonderful shots aren't in the movie and I don't understand why.

Have we seen more of Italy than any other country during Daniels tenure.

CR - como and Venice
    QOS - Siena
    Spectre - Rome
    NTTD - matera

Beautiful country
    Must say, that's one of the many great things of the Craig era, IMO.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Have we seen more of Italy than any other country during Daniels tenure.

CR - como and Venice
    QOS - Siena
    Spectre - Rome
    NTTD - matera

Beautiful country

In QoS we saw Lake Garda, Carrara's marble caves and Talamone as well.
    NTTD features also the Sapri coastline and Gravina di Puglia's roman bridge.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited October 2021 Posts: 467
    Coincidentally, all the main James Bond girls were in turn played by French actresses – Eva Green, Olga Kurylenko (double nationality), Bérénice Marlohe and Léa Seydoux.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I have not read this yet, but I will when I get home.
    Possible SPOILERS - I simply don't know but probably yes!

I just listened to a podcast discussing NTTD and was shocked to hear them slating the cinematography! :-O My best theory is that they haven't seen the right film. They were also criticizing the pacing of the film, claiming it lacked rythm. Quite bizarre...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    jobo wrote: »
    I just listened to a podcast discussing NTTD and was shocked to hear them slating the cinematography! :-O My best theory is that they haven't seen the right film. They were also criticizing the pacing of the film, claiming it lacked rythm. Quite bizarre...

They must have seen the 1950s film.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 440
    EQxEQ2kW4AAYM-9?format=jpg&name=large

EQtSoHZVAAApI9l?format=jpg&name=large

@Heinsenberg It looks like they're from a scene that got cut. I imagine there are quite a few of those given how many rewrites this movie got, and how long it ended up being.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing an extended cut.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    which part of Norway was in imax?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    which part of Norway was in imax?

None of it.
    I thought Norway in the PTS was IMAX ...
    My bad I was thinking of Norway part 2
    My bad I was thinking of Norway part 2

@4EverBonded Good point, I had forgotten about that! 😆

Norway (present day) - No IMAX shot sequences.
  • I really dug the cinematography, it had a really nice color grade in particular. The film felt very vibrant without being over saturated. I don’t think he topped Deakins work on Skyfall, but job well done certainly.
  • It’s funny how everyone seems to be fawning over Sandgren’s work here (like it’s the greatest thing ever) but then nobody seems to want to place it above Deakins’ work on SF.

I have yet to see the film but I just find it odd that Sandgren couldn’t top Deakins. I loved Deakins’ work in SF but I’m not sure I would call it the greatest cinematography ever. Even within the Bond franchise I’m tempted to lean more towards Freddie Young’s work in YOLT or Michael Reed’s in OHMSS.

But isn’t NTTD supposed to be the best looking Bond film yet? I guess it’s not. Hmm.
    It’s funny how everyone seems to be fawning over Sandgren’s work here (like it’s the greatest thing ever) but then nobody seems to want to place it above Deakins’ work on SF.

I have yet to see the film but I just find it odd that Sandgren couldn’t top Deakins. I loved Deakins’ work in SF but I’m not sure I would call it the greatest cinematography ever. Even within the Bond franchise I’m tempted to lean more towards Freddie Young’s work in YOLT or Michael Reed’s in OHMSS.

But isn’t NTTD supposed to be the best looking Bond film yet? I guess it’s not. Hmm.

We have had Skyfall for 9 years. NTTD for 9 days. Give it some time and plenty of 4k blu ray viewings 😅
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 440
    I honestly think it's slightly better looking than Deakins' work, but it's also less obviously flashy. There aren't really any sequences like the Hong Kong fight, which are designed to designed to show it off.

As @Mallory pointed out. Once it's on Bluray and people can take screenshots, I think it'll go up in people's estimation.

It’s funny how everyone seems to be fawning over Sandgren’s work here (like it’s the greatest thing ever) but then nobody seems to want to place it above Deakins’ work on SF.

A lot of professors at my film school bring up cinematography in Skyfall. It’s definitely among the best of all time.

NTTD is very close, it might be better it might not be, only time will tell.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    I loved the cinematography in Skyfall. I am even happier with the cinematography in NTTD. Both are gorgeous films with a tone and palette that serve their stories. I am out of the loop on seeing other movies, so I cannot make an honest comparison. It doesn't matter to me. Both are respected, right? NTTD should further Linus's reputation. All the care that went into this film, the craftsmanship is stellar (Cary and Linus, sound, editing, and action/stunt work in particular). Yes, for me NTTD is one of the most beautifully filmed Bond movies ever.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    SF's photography is technically better but Sandgren's one suites Bond better IMO.
    I cannot argue on technicalities, but I think Sandgren's work is highly praised. I haven't read people saying he has less skill than Deakins. Or maybe that is in earlier posts. I have no background to judge, but I that doesn't seem correct to me.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Deakin’s night photography remains probably the best cinematography in the series this far. However, I think Sandgren’s day/sunset photography is definitely the winner. It is easily some of the best shots in the Craig era and the Bond franchise.
    They're both great, and much better than the overrated Van Hoytema. And I agree, @jake24, Sandgren really gave us some iconic shots. We'll spend years doing trailers that feature lots of his compositions.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Definitely, Sandgren is great and does an incredible job, but what Deakins did with Skyfall just heightened everything, and is another reason Skyfall is my favourite James Bond film.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Deakins showed everybody that even in an action franchise as popular as Bond, it was possible to have some amazing and distinctive photography. This was some extraordinary achievement.
    And it looks like it's now a given that a Bond film will get an outstanding director of photography who, in tandem with the director, will push cinematography into unexpected and interesting directions.
    Van Hoytema can be great. Let The Right One In, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and most of his collaborations with Nolan show he's extremely talented. But something didn't necessarily gel with Mendes, who's more comfortable with Deakins.
    Sandgren had a much better connection with Fukunaga, and it showed. And it wasn't a retread of Deakins' work, thankfully. That's what matters. If we got a lot of nearly abstract shots, something that Deakins is amazing at, it would get repetitive and derivative very quickly.
  • belleswannbelleswann britain
    Sadly I was really underwhelmed, I really disliked the teal oversaturation in the majority of this, the Norway/ Scotland/island scenes were very dull, grey and muggy. Matera was the nicest, clear and bright. You can tell they love the twilight hour yet it almost looked cgi to me particularly the shots of the cars driving at the beginning and end.
    I love the colors in NTTD, all throughout the movie.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm not sure if this is cinematography or the director, but Craig looked great during the film. My Mrs whispered to me during the final act and "wow he's still fit" 😅 her 15 year crush continues

Credit to Daniel himself, Linus and Cary on that front. Craig looked better than he did during Spectre
    IMHO, there were some really awfully composited Green Screen looking shots, like for example the first shot of Bond, or some of the car interiors, that really did make the picture look cheap. Though overall, I liked the photography.