NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Discuss Hans Zimmer's Score

Comments

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,329
    Interesting that Zimmer won't be scoring Nolan's next film. Do you think Chris has fell out with Hans for doing Bond without him? Lol
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited October 2021 Posts: 8,000
    Funny thing about Ludwig Göransson‘s score for TENET is that it pretty much sounds like a Zimmer score anyway. I have to assume all Nolan ever told him was “make it like Zimmer”.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, I really enjoy Göransson’s stuff usually but that was a bit of a letdown. It kind of goes without saying that I think he’d be a good fit for Bond! :)
  • Does anybody know what rendition of the Bond theme was playing over the end credits?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    After seeing the film twice and listening to the soundtrack countless times, so much of this soundtrack is near perfection, and it might be Zimmer's best work. My only complaint is that some of the best tracks are too short (not his fault). But these pieces really standout to me:

1. Final Ascent
    2. Poison Garden
    3. Shouldn't We Get to Know Each Other First?
    4. Someone Was Here
    5. Not What I Expected
    6. Home
    7. Matera*
    8. Good to Have You Back*
    9. Norway Chase

* Based on Barry's material

• I went to great lengths to go into 007 blind. I had no idea Zimmer scored the film before I saw it. I was astounded. I honestly feel it's his best work.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    , so much of this soundtrack is near perfection, and it might be Zimmer's best work.
    Couldn't agree more.
    InTheWind wrote: »
    I went to great lengths to go into 007 blind. I had no idea Zimmer scored the film before I saw it. I was astounded. I honestly feel it's his best work.
    Better than Gladiator, Inception, Interstellar, Da Vinci Code, Man of Steel, The Dark Knight series, The Last Samurai, Black Hawk Down, Thelma and Louise etc? Really?
    I most certainly don't share that opinion, although I love the NTTD soundtrack.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    I can't get the Matera chase music out of my head. "Message from an Old Friend" is a real earworm I don't hear enough people praising.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I went to great lengths to go into 007 blind. I had no idea Zimmer scored the film before I saw it. I was astounded. I honestly feel it's his best work.
    Better than Gladiator, Inception, Interstellar, Da Vinci Code, Man of Steel, The Dark Knight series, The Last Samurai, Black Hawk Down, Thelma and Louise etc? Really?

Agree with you 100%. Also, Cuba Chase is the track of the album IMO. I’ll Be Right Back is also great, and what I thought Final Ascent was going to be. Final Ascent I can take or leave; just sort of stock-sad-climactic-music, very unoriginal, did it’s job in the film but wouldn’t listen to it on its own.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Zimmer's score is great but it's no Cool Runnings 😉
    Good to Have You Back is just about precisely what I hoped the OHMSS theme would sound like when they inevitably brought it back one day. Zimmer delivered in spades with that piece.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 642
    Thelma and Louise? Lol. Does anyone really remember that movie for Zimmer’s score?

Black Rain, on the other hand... plenty of atmosphere due to his score.
    Thelma and Louise? Lol. Does anyone really remember that movie for Zimmer’s score?
    Yes, as a matter of fact we are some that do remember the great OST for that movie.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Minion wrote: »
    I can't get the Matera chase music out of my head. "Message from an Old Friend" is a real earworm I don't hear enough people praising.

When the brass kicks in towards the end I want to jump out of my chair, everytime.
  • What are everyone's general thoughts of Zimmer's work here compared to Newman's work in the previous two?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,035
    What are everyone's general thoughts of Zimmer's work here compared to Newman's work in the previous two?

I like the work of Both.

Zimmer’s is more in the traditional John Barry mould, particularly in the first half.
    Newman’s is a good mix of his style and that of Bond. More atmospheric.

Both adhere to the Bond music formula well. Zimmer gets a Bonus point for doing and incorporating the title song. But then he loses a point for reusing OHMSS themes and songs
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,035
    Edit: accidental duplicate post. Apologies

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    What are everyone's general thoughts of Zimmer's work here compared to Newman's work in the previous two?

I preferred Newman's score for SF to Zimmers. I'm a massive fan of Arnold, but I think Newman's SF score was excellent. I have to give Zimmers score more listens, but at the moment I'm disappointed in it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Newman's is more interesting to me too, more textural and rich and I think it evokes a mood and a sense of style more. But Zimmer's is good with the action and the high drama at the end.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yep. I think Zimmer's action pieces are outstanding but I'd definitely give Newman the edge on the romance/atmosphere side. Arnold always managed both elements quite well, for my money. But I'm glad we have them all, to be honest. They're all pretty good in their own ways.
  • Zimmer’s score feels much more cinematic to me. The Newman score, when coupled with the copious scenes in London and MI6, at times made the Mendes films feel a bit like a BBC program instead of a big feature film. His scores do cover a broader range of moods and styles I think, and I like a decent amount of it, but for me Zimmer really had a better handle on the tone.
    We do need to acknowledge Zimmer and Mazarro had three months, started from scratch and did the title song too. And the results are pretty good I think, dubious OHMSS use aside.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    While we later learned that Spectre's recycled cues were more Mendes than Newman, it still unfortunately brings the overall score down for me. I find it distracting more than anything, and none of the new material stands out to me. That said, I like Skyfall's score enough and there are some memorable themes, but ultimately I'm happy to have Zimmer and I'm not too sorry to lose Newman. No Time To Die just sounds more like what I personally want out of a Bond score.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,861
    Mallory wrote: »
    We do need to acknowledge Zimmer and Mazarro had three months, started from scratch and did the title song too. And the results are pretty good I think, dubious OHMSS use aside.

John Barry did the score to TMWTGG in three weeks, and he wrote the title song too! :)
    I know the system is different now and that you can't blame someone for not being John Barry though.
  • I'm listening to Home on Apple Music and Billie's vocals sound different. Anyone else hearing this?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I really like this cue. Features the same motif featured in “Someone Was Here” (when we see Bond out fishing) but via slow flute.

Bernie99 wrote: »
    The missing cues from OHMSS

Post from Lukas Kendall
    I have the following additional tracks that I was not able to include on the 2003 CD. I am sorry to torture people...I cannot share them...but because people are speculating:

Xmas Trees - a version sung solely by the kids - 3:36 [the CIA asked to use this at Gitmo]

2M1 We Have All the Time in the World jazz combo - film version - 2:52

2M2 Try - film version 3:13

4M2 guitar source 2:50

The Swiss alps skating source music, I don't have the slate # handy, 2:54 [the A section is the oompah music, the B section is the prettier melody]

and three score cues:
    13M1 (score, soft suspense) 1:02
    13M2 (score, orchestral version of We have All The Time in the World) 3:46
    16M3 (soft instrumental of We Have All the Time in the World, flute melody) 0:39

There was a missing roll, I was told, that had sustained water damage. I believe it includes the film version of Escape From Piz Gloria, the other appearance of the action music in the Swiss town chase (Bond attacked in a phone booth)...and I don't know what else. These would have to be taken from the film stem if a 2CD set is ever produced.

Sorry for the frustration—
    Lukas

This is really interesting - thanks so much for sharing.

Here was I thinking that the OHMSS expansion was one of the few actual complete Bond soundtracks :(

Black Rain, on the other hand... plenty of atmosphere due to his score.

The music that plays when Conklin is infiltrating the farm where the mobsters are meeting is so good.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I really enjoyed Zimmer's score but I do wonder what Arnold would have done, especially given how many callbacks and references are made to CR and QOS.
    Maybe he could have created something new instead of them leaning on the OHMMS score as well