NO TIME TO DIE (2021) - Members' Reviews and Discussions (SPOILERS)

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    It's a really personal thing and a very silly complaint, but when Bond's Aston was driving along that bridge I was really hoping to hear the howl of its V8 :) Remember that cool aerial shot of his Vanquish arriving in Iceland in DAD and how the car's engine note was really loud? I wanted that :D

Something I picked up on during my second viewing is that during the PTS, during the car chase in all the shots inside the DB5, you can hear the engine going at all times. Glorious sound!
  • marcmarc Universal Exports
    Univex wrote: »
    marc wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    This film did not fail any of the girls, which includes
    Bond's daughter!
    Best Bond girl ever! 🙂

Well, at least this one we can all agree to call a
    Bond girl
    and not a
    Bond woman
    , right? :P

Absolutely!

And I guess Bond would agree she's the best.
  • skropper13skropper13 United States
    Just finished my second viewing. My initial love for the movie stands. I did notice some plot holes I missed this time around which removed me a little bit. I still think this is some of the best, most brutal, and most stylish action in the entire series. The PTS is beautiful and gripping. The Norway chase has its moments of style and dread. The staircase sequence has some of the most intense moments in the film and in Craig’s tenure.

I love madeleine and mathilde more somehow with a second viewing. The ending didn’t stick as well this time with some of the plot holes others pointed out but still felt earned and impactful. I also mentioned in my first reactions that I fell in love with madeleine almost immediately in this film somehow after being completely underwhelmed with SP. I found the moment that did it, when she looks up at bond in the Aston Martin in the square after begging him to do something when they’re surrounded. The face she makes just tore me up. Beautiful performance.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Alright, it's pretty late, the movie didn't let out until 10:10 pm, and I had to change a tire on the way home, so this will not be an in-depth analysis of NO TIME TO DIE. To begin with, yes, it is much better than SP, in just about very way. Craig is far better here ( as are Waltz and Seydoux, as well, as has been widely reported). It looks and feels cleaner and fresher than it's predecessor, the action is far superior, as is the score.

For the most part I enjoyed the film. As has been brought up quite a bit, some of the action scenes are the best in the franchise (though the arcade like shoot 'em up in the final act did cause my eyes to glaze over a bit, a la the Brosnan years).

And the Scooby Gang were much less annoying. Their time on screen, as well as their involvement in the plot, felt just about right. That is how you handle Rory Kinnear's Tanner; keep him in the background, don't let him talk.

As someone else pointed out (I don't remember who), there are times when Craig, who mainly gives another stellar performance, seems to be in a different film, playing a different character. I'm thinking of the scenes with Blofeld and Safin, he comes across as Craig, more than Bond.

And Safin is the disappointment that I had heard he was.

What was a surprise was how much the film dragged for me at times (much of the PTS, London, and at Madeline's home). These scenes needn't be cut, but definitely tightened up. I'd say a good 15 minutes in superfluous meanderings could be lost. No where near the borefest that SP was, I was still losing interest and drifting in spots. I did feel that length.

Another complaint that I had heard that I am in line with is using inferences to early films in order to piggyback on the emotion and history of that earlier film. Using so much music (and the line) from OHMSS is a cheap way to transpose that film's heartache onto this one. Same with Felix; there has been no indication in their short time together in this Craig continuity to cause us to believe that they are so close. That is the Classic Era, but EON wants that history here.

The daughter bit didn't bother me, but I could have done without that whole angle just as well. All of the melodrama could have been greatly tamped down. It felt awkward and forced most of the time.

The whole '"woke" fest turns out to be a non-issue. Both Nomi and Paloma were fun characters, and I was very happy that Bond gets the 007 moniker back. The death was silly and unnecessary. I can't take that whole ending seriously enough to hold it against the film more than as a spot or two in my rankings. I found it hokey.

Kleinman's best work since CR.

Nicely done. Great review.
    I know Kinnear's Tanner isn't particularly liked around these parts, but I have to say my new all-time favourite moment for any iteration of the character is
    as the missiles land and the MI-6 crew react to Bond's death, as we get M's reaction, Tanner is in the background and though he's out of focus, you can just see utter anguish on his face
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    skropper13 wrote: »
    Just finished my second viewing. My initial love for the movie stands. I did notice some plot holes I missed this time around which removed me a little bit. I still think this is some of the best, most brutal, and most stylish action in the entire series. The PTS is beautiful and gripping. The Norway chase has its moments of style and dread. The staircase sequence has some of the most intense moments in the film and in Craig’s tenure.

I love madeleine and mathilde more somehow with a second viewing. The ending didn’t stick as well this time with some of the plot holes others pointed out but still felt earned and impactful. I also mentioned in my first reactions that I fell in love with madeleine almost immediately in this film somehow after being completely underwhelmed with SP. I found the moment that did it, when she looks up at bond in the Aston Martin in the square after begging him to do something when they’re surrounded. The face she makes just tore me up. Beautiful performance.

Can I ask what plot holes have been spotted? I haven't been following the conversation fully.

One that I was curious about was who exactly Cyclops guy was working for: Spectre or Safin? Because when Waldo swaps the weapon over in Cuba I thought Cyclops (sorry I don't remember his actual name) was the guy he was hiding the exchange from, but then it turns out they're on the same side? So why hide it?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Can I ask what plot holes have been spotted? I haven't been following the conversation fully.

One that I was curious about was who exactly Cyclops guy was working for: Spectre or Safin? Because when Waldo swaps the weapon over in Cuba I thought Cyclops (sorry I don't remember his actual name) was the guy he was hiding the exchange from, but then it turns out they're on the same side? So why hide it?

He was working for SPECTRE until they were killed. After that, Logan Ash approached him with an offer by Safin to work under him. Cyclops is a professional, so he has no problem working with those who killed his original employer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

He was working for SPECTRE until they were killed. After that, Logan Ash approached him with an offer by Safin to work under him. Cyclops is a professional, so he has no problem working with those who killed his original employer.

But is it not him who calls Waldo to warn him that Spectre are coming to the lab? At that point Waldo is working for Safin after all.

If he is just Spectre then I think it's a mistake to have him in that weapon-swapping scene. It's just unnecessarily confusing when it could have just been a straight up Spectre goon.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,834

But is it not him who calls Waldo to warn him that Spectre are coming to the lab? At that point Waldo is working for Safin after all.

If he is just Spectre then I think it's a mistake to have him in that weapon-swapping scene. It's just unnecessarily confusing when it could have just been a straight up Spectre goon.
    It's Safin who calls Valdo in the London sequence. Primo is working for SPECTRE so that's why Valdo hides the weapon-swapping from him, but then once Blofeld is dead, he is approached by Logan Ash to work for Safin.
  • skropper13skropper13 United States

Primo is working for safin after spectre is killed off. Just going where the money goes I assume. Some of the plot points that I felt took me out of the film were:

What is safins plan? Why is he bent on killing millions of people? Why does he want madeleine? Is he in love with her from when she was a little girl? (Creepy)

Why does bond have to send the missiles immediately before he gets a chance to get off the island? Boats are coming to pick up some of the weapon, can they not then take the nearby Royal Navy vessels and intercept them after and avoid trapping bond?

Wouldn’t it be worth leaving the island and staying alone until they can find a cure or at least give it a try?

All of this urgency and finalization was kind of pasted together for no other reason than to tension the final moments. Just felt like they could’ve been done better
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    By the way, there is a questions page where a lot of this stuff has come up:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/20543/no-time-to-die-questions-thread-spoilers#latest
  • patb wrote: »
    Would it have been more "Bondian" for him to have to go up onto the roof to free up the silo doors (when were they last opened ?) and, just as he opened them and prepared to escape, Safin appears and they fight desperately and then the Navy missiles appear on the horizon? Trouble is, Safin seemed to carry no physical threat. Or perhaps he's already killed Safin but Primo appears on the roof?
    The final scene played out too long for me with too many ellements (already shot, virus, silo doors etc) to complex. With the silo doors open and Bond jumping on the ladder ready too make his mistake, with a villain appearing from another ladder, ready to close the doors, (plus a cheesy line from the villain about going home to play daddy) - we see the exact moment Bond has to make the decision and (without the complication of the virus) makes a clear decision to stay and fight.

I think you just solved the problem, sir- that wouldve been epic.

What were you doing three years ago when they were writing this movie?😂
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »

It's Safin who calls Valdo in the London sequence. Primo is working for SPECTRE so that's why Valdo hides the weapon-swapping from him, but then once Blofeld is dead, he is approached by Logan Ash to work for Safin.

That's Safin? Oh okay, I didn't pick up on that. And do we see Ash hire him? I know we see him on the eye recording but I didn't catch what they're saying.
    I think think having Primo in that swapping scene is needlessly confusing.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,834

And do we see Ash hire him? I know we see him on the eye recording but I didn't catch what they're saying.
    Yes, it's the eye recording. The actual recruitment is left out if I remember correctly, but I think showing that they met is the film's way of addressing it without spending touch time on it. For me, it's hard to say whether the weapon-swapping was confusing because I personally picked up on these almost immediately.

Also, I have to say, Primo looked so bloody cool in all of the films, but particularly the Cuba sequence. The sunglasses were a really nice touch. I think he might be my favourite henchman of the Craig-era.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

And do we see Ash hire him? I know we see him on the eye recording but I didn't catch what they're saying.
    Yes, it's the eye recording. The actual recruitment is left out if I remember correctly, but I think showing that they met is the film's way of addressing it without spending touch time on it.

To me that's not enough to confirm that Ash approached him, just that they both work for the same guy, which we already knew.

I honestly think him swapping sides adds nothing to the film and probably should have been left out: just have him as Safin's guy.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Just saw it a second time. Held my attention better than SP, so that’s good. Means NTTD isn’t bad (at least in my book). Still too long. I love the Swan character, and nothing is going to change my mind. Just as feisty as Vesper. PTS is solid enough. Very long though. Seems like we got a couple sequences in before the title track. Billie Eilish’s song has grown on me. But with the rhyming pattern, I bet she (or someone) wrote it in 5 minutes like Sam Spence did. Good to see Jamaica again. Ash gets too much time. Ana de Armas is a five-alarm fire...Christ Almighty. Killing Felix was unnecessary. I’d swear they are trying to end Bond here. Missing a piece about how Safin got so rich. I love the OHMSS music, especially where Bond and M meet on the bridge. Now it feels like Bond movie. Safin grows on me with the 2nd viewing. His voice has that same villainous pace as Pleasant’s Blofeld. I guess I’m mushy, I like Bond in love in Swan. The kid doesn’t bother me much either. Lying about the kid was a disingenuous way of throwing the viewers off the scent though. Where was anyone to help Bond during the forest fight? “007” was late as hell. Her approach to get Ash was a waste of movie time. This movie is missing suspense. Everything happens immediately. Lynch redeems herself by giving Bond the 007 designation back. Why do nanobots need stirring? Safin again. I really like this guy’s voice. Ah the poisonous flower bit. The father reveal. Shouldn’t Bond have time to say, “What? I thought that wasn’t my kid?” He just “accepts” it without shock and gets to killing. World population reduction. This IS the MR plot, isn’t it? Missile incoming. “Bond get out of there.” Ah yes, TSWLM. Bond has escaped this before. Bond didn’t need to die. How ridiculous. Where was the gang to pick him up in a helicopter or a rocket plane or something? Then, you know, take him to the nanobot treatment center. If SP was “James Bond and Friends”, NTTD was damn near a solo run. I hope JB was beamed out of the explosion by Thanos’ Infinity Gauntlet. Or maybe the new Bond wakes up in Bond 26 and realizes Bond 25 was all a dream. Stupid death. I want Bond 26 in 2024. I won’t watch this again for a while. Doesn’t mean I don’t like it. Just too much.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Which drive-in was that?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars

Yes! I absolutely love her in that moment. I was already warming to her quite well, but I have to say Lea made such a great choice as an actor here.
    There was not one bit of "pretty Bond girl" but instead we got the most realistic look I have probably ever seen on an actress in any similar scene. And I know this is not a real spoiler but I could go on describing why I think she made excellent choices throughout the film, especially with her gestures and body language - however, I want people to discover that fresh when the see the film.
    What a horrible experience the modern drive-in theatre is. Never again. I’d hardly even call this a third viewing.

I can imagine. I never enjoyed them, as far as getting full value of a movie, even when I was a kid. I hope you can get to a really great theater to see it one more time.
    Good to read this, @Birdleson! I mean that. You have been open enough to view it more than twice, with as open a mind as possible. I appreciate that. Why on earth did you choose that drive-in? You weren't familiar with it and therefore did not know it would be sewers and levels of hell? Just curious.

But the important bits you wrote are: B-)
    (quoting you below just not using quote function; my reply to you in italics):

1) I had my dog with me, I could consume my own intoxicants at my own pace, and there are distractions at home. (Good man! know thyself & what works.)

2) I've always assumed that Bond's got hordes of little bastards running around all over this globe (Me, too - a practical, realistic viewpoint I share.)

3) my personal car speakers made the dialogue so much easier to discern, as it is at home. (Hearing the actual dialog does rather help! I have a couple in NTTD I am still unsure of, though my 3rd viewing today helped with some.)

I sincerely wish you could view it on my screen here in the big city I take a train to for the cinema. It's a golden experience all around.
    I enjoyed the whole PTS and titles more each time I have seen the film. The song works well for this movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Good to read this, @Birdleson! I mean that. You have been open enough to view it more than twice, with as open a mind as possible. I appreciate that. Why on earth did you choose that drive-in? You weren't familiar with it and therefore did not know it would be sewers and levels of hell? Just curious.

But the important bits you wrote are: B-)
    (quoting you below just not using quote function; my reply to you in italics):

1) I had my dog with me, I could consume my own intoxicants at my own pace, and there are distractions at home. (Good man! know thyself & what works.)

Unless you’re driving of course..? :)
    I enjoyed the whole PTS and titles more each time I have seen the film. The song works well for this movie.

I'm not really a fan of the song itself, but I quite like it with the movie and title sequence. Like you said, it just works.
    Yes, that is how I feel. I cannot see myself enjoying it separately, really, but it is lovely and well used throughout the film (pretty subtly) and of course nice during the opening titles.
    Also, with the third screening, even more so than before I feel that the gun play in teh final act should have been substantially trimmed. It is mind-numbing.
    I definitely got GE and TND vibes with it.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    Let me just say I really liked Lea's performance in this, however, I just don't understand where the love between her and Bond came from.
    This love between Madeleine and Bond is seemingly supposed to rank as part of Bond's trinity of loves (Vesper, Tracy and Madeleine). I can understand Vesper and Tracy because their respective relationships with Bond was explored and we got to see it cultivated. Also, from a character standpoint these 2 women had qualities we could see why Bond would be drawn to and fall in love with them. Madeleine not so much. If we trace the time line from when Bond and Madeleine first meet, we don't see anything significant happen between the 2 that would suggest either her or Bond fall deeply in love with each other. They're in Austria, then set off to Morocco, then have sex on a train after a fight with Hynx, then end up in Blofeld's lair where Madeleine pulls a Lupe Lamora and out of nowhere declares her love for Bond...whaaaaat??? they head back to London, Bond saves her from being captured and blown up and then Bond decides to quit MI6 and drive off into the sunset to be with her, which is
    where NTTD picks up.
    I just find it interesting that the writers had Bond go through this emotional turmoil over a character they didn't bother to invest in to show how and why Bond loved Madeleine so much that he not only spent the next 5 years coasting through life but became broken by the thought of his overwhelming love for her being shattered that set in motion his eventual death. What's even more strange is Bond and Madeleine spent more time apart and out of each other's lives more than when they were together.

I think the weight the relationship the film forces us to believe is insincere and flaccid, dressed up with emotional bells and whistles to cheaply set up a twist
    that really ends up screwing Bond in the end.

You are spot on. And you didn't even mention that she in SP walks out of him in London, wishing him a good life, before being caught by Blofeld.
  • Let nobody be in any doubt. It is Barbara Broccoli’s almost total obeisance to Daniel Craig and his wishes that has resulted in the at times exciting, but ultimately disastrous ‘No Time To Die’. ‘Disastrous’ because James Bond dies. This invincible, indomitable character actually dies. There is no coming back from that. Therefore, if the Bond series is to continue, all future adventures must be prequels. This is utter madness on the part of the producers, leaving one wondering if this was the plan all along with ‘NTTD’, to bring the series to a close in its 25th outing?
    I could go on about Ms Broccoli’s disservice to those of us - now in our seventies and eighties who have seen every Bond film during its first week of release since Dr. No - by serving up 2 hours and 43 minutes worth of bladder-busting Bond without so much as an interval, but I’ll desist …
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ‘Disastrous’ because James Bond dies. This invincible, indomitable character actually dies. There is no coming back from that.

I bet there is :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    They came back from Bond ice surfing and fighting Iron Man. They can come back from this.
    ‘Disastrous’ because James Bond dies. This invincible, indomitable character actually dies. There is no coming back from that.

I bet there is :)
    They came back from Bond ice surfing and fighting Iron Man. They can come back from this.

By Bond 26 and with the new Bond presentation, nobody will remember Bond dying as that big of a deal. Can't, for the life of me, understand the confusion many people seem to have with it. And it deters from criticising the truly criticisable points of the film, IMO, which aren't many, but they sure are "big".