Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    baerrtt wrote: »
    Eon like taking bold swings these days. I think they will pick an actor of colour. I think they will go for Rege-Jean Page. I wouldn't be surprised if he has met with Eon. He'd be perfect. He is attached to star in The Saint reboot - however, Paramount have overhauled the executive team there and that project might get caught up in the turnaround. It was said that the now exited Paramount film boss, Emma Watts was instrumental in getting Page on board. That may change now.

Perhaps more excitingly, Page has just agreed to star in Noah Hawley's new heist film at Netflix. Those combinations alone make this a film destined for world domination. I do hope that he doesn't just play suave ladykillers and this heist film has an edge to it (Hawley's involvement would suggest so). Craig made his name playing a wide variation of roles. If Page is going to convince as they next 007, he'll need to show that range.

rege-jean-page-at--emmys-2021.jpg

One name I think would be interesting is George Mackay. He's one of the best actors working right now in the UK. I think he will become a huge acting titan, someone with multiple Oscars on his mantlepiece. He isn't the most handsome bloke. However, neither was Craig. But Daniel always had that rugged roughness to him - he undeniably has screen presence. Mackay looks a little more gentle and unremarkable (he doesn't exactly stand out). Nonetheless, I find him a rather exciting choice, especially based on his performance in the Ned Kelly film.

5e7cf76d73087f60004c601df577ba82912c70ff.gifv

If the do pick a POC I hope it's someone like Sope Dirisu.

Person Of Colour is such a racist term. Wouldn t it be better to say Person Of Saturation?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Can't believe I hadn't heard it before, but one podcast just mentioned Dev Patel as a possibility and I am kind of smitten with it.

Leaving the whole racial debate to the side, he is a fantastic actor, he cleans up quite well, is the right age, is at a very good point in his career (similar to Craig, I would say), he's British. Don't know what he is like in an action role, that is my biggest question mark and some fans will roll their eyes at casting another "serious actor" who'll want to do "serious actor"-things in the role and not just be a damn good Bond.
    Still, a really compelling candidate, I think.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He’s brilliant, but I’ve never quite put him in the devastatingly-good-with-the-ladies mould, but maybe he could.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    In terms of the action stuff, though he is kind of on the skinny side, I do seem to remember him producing a surprising roundhouse spinning kick in an early episode of Skins!
    Yeah Dev Patel has a face for Bond IMO, but he's just too ectomorphic I think. And maybe even too tall? He seems taller than even the pre-Craig five were.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    According to IMDb, Dev Patel is 6'1 and a half. (1.87m)
    So certainly within an acceptable height for Bond. I wouldn't be adverse to his casting. He's a bloody good actor. And has a good look, with plenty of charisma.
    A lot of worse choices out there.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,677
    Dev Patel for Bond?
    Cmon, people...

He's a brilliant actor, but so is donham gleeson, and I wouldn't wan't him as Bond. As everyone lost touch to what Bond is meant to look like? How about Nikesh Patel, then? Or Chance Perdomo, or Freddie Wise, or Edward Bluemel? What do these have in common? Good young actors who look nothing like Bond should look. Nothing. Despite being of different racial backgrounds.

I could immediately see Bond in DC in 2005, I can't for the life of me see Bond in Dev Patel, or in any of these gents for that matter.

But hey, let's keep throwing names for shock purpose and to shake things up, whilst loosing touch with the literary source material, further and further. Just, let's, for the sake of it.

I'd rather have Serge MacKay, as he's chameleonic to boot, a bit like Craig. Or Richard Madden, despite his height.

But hey, bear in mind, all IMHO.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wonder why Jason Momoa met with Barbara Broccoli?

To play the samoan henchman from Boyle's script.

Just kidding, who knows? :)
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

Groundbreaking new love-interest?
    Let's be honest, the next actor has got some incredibly big shoes to fill. After Sean Connery, Daniel Craig has been the most accepted Bond. Yes Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan are extremely popular, but Craig is the first Bond to be truly compared to Connery.
    I'm not suggesting that we'll get another George Lazenby situation, with an unknown taking the role for one film only. However after Craig, it's going to be hard to be accepted and establish oneself in the role. Craig took Bond to another level with CR, so Bond #7 can either trump Craig, or work really hard to win the audience over on his debut.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing who could be on the shortlist.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Univex wrote: »
    Dev Patel for Bond?
    Cmon, people...

He's a brilliant actor, but so is donham gleeson, and I wouldn't wan't him as Bond. As everyone lost touch to what Bond is meant to look like? How about Nikesh Patel, then? Or Chance Perdomo, or Freddie Wise, or Edward Bluemel? What do these have in common? Good young actors who look nothing like Bond should look. Nothing. Despite being of different racial backgrounds.

I could immediately see Bond in DC in 2005, I can't for the life of me see Bond in Dev Patel, or in any of these gents for that matter.

But hey, let's keep throwing names for shock purpose and to shake things up, whilst loosing touch with the literary source material, further and further. Just, let's, for the sake of it.

I'd rather have Serge MacKay, as he's chameleonic to boot, a bit like Craig. Or Richard Madden, despite his height.

But hey, bear in mind, all IMHO.

I actually think Wise and Bluemel could work ^^. I've never heard of them before, so I have no idea what they are like, but just looking at headshots I don't see why they couldn't at some point be Bond.

As for Dev, after further consideration (putting his name in Google picture search) I probably agree that he doesn't totally have the look. He doesn't jump out as a possible Bond the way guys like Aiden Turner and Page do. It also doesn't help that there seem to be no recent pictures of him with short hair and clean shaven.

I don't envy the task of having to find the next Bond. There are so many options and so many ways to go...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Personally the fun of this thread for me is people coming in with interesting suggestions which I can choose to try out mentally and see if I can see it. I’d much rather be presented with the idea of someone like Patel doing it and have a think about that rather than just see the same gif of Poldark smoking a cigarette over and over. I don’t think anyone has remotely ‘lost touch’ for daring to suggest any actor.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Honestly, none of these guys appeal to me. None. And a few really look too young. We are not going to start with CR again. Anyway, I hope somebody comes over the horizon in 2022 that will spark some real interest to me. You know who does appeal to me as Bond? But is now too old, unfortunately: Idris Elba. Yes, that guy. Charisma, confidence, talented actor. Not the right age any more.

I don't get any great vibes from the photos I have seen on these pages, but I will keep coming back.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    You're forgetting a bunch of actors such as Gene Hackman, John Hawkes, Alan Alda and Jerry Orbach, all from the "cinematic history of 007", one of my favorite "alternate timeline" documents put together by Sean Tejaratchi (LiartownUSA)

https://imgur.com/gallery/4hzzAWZ
  • What do we think of John Boyega? He seems to be done with Star Wars now, but is he too famous?

He was great in Attack the Block, and in Steve Mcqueen’s Small Axe. Really commanding screen presence, which seems to be rare amongst actors his age, and I think he has the chops to match Craig’s depth and vulnerability. And while I haven’t seen him play a character as suave/smooth as Bond before, he does look great in a suit.

I think he could be an interesting choice, but I’m not sure how likely he is. He’s not a megastar or anything, and he isn’t attached to any other franchises currently, but he would be much more famous than any other Bond so far. Would that rule him out?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    mtm wrote: »
    Personally the fun of this thread for me is people coming in with interesting suggestions which I can choose to try out mentally and see if I can see it. I’d much rather be presented with the idea of someone like Patel doing it and have a think about that rather than just see the same gif of Poldark smoking a cigarette over and over. I don’t think anyone has remotely ‘lost touch’ for daring to suggest any actor.

He's just so damn good at it isn't he? Just to annoy you a little more ;) Bond #7, gents:

da9255a55591eae890bac44793c4ccf6.gif

Granted Turner does look good in a tux, lighting a smoke.
    But that's the Bond of the 60's, a smoking Bond isn't a thing anymore. Wrong or right.
    But can Turner carry a franchise film of unique magnitude?
    Would the general pubic accept him?
    Yes he has potential, but is it enough to make him Bond?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,920
    What do we think of John Boyega? He seems to be done with Star Wars now, but is he too famous?

He was great in Attack the Block, and in Steve Mcqueen’s Small Axe. Really commanding screen presence, which seems to be rare amongst actors his age, and I think he has the chops to match Craig’s depth and vulnerability. And while I haven’t seen him play a character as suave/smooth as Bond before, he does look great in a suit.

I think he could be an interesting choice, but I’m not sure how likely he is. He’s not a megastar or anything, and he isn’t attached to any other franchises currently, but he would be much more famous than any other Bond so far. Would that rule him out?

I get the feeling that he might not be looking to do big franchise stuff for a while as I feel like he’s said Star Wars left him unhappy, but I may be way out of line with that and wouldn’t want to put words in his mouth.
    Benny wrote: »
    But that's the Bond of the 60's, a smoking Bond isn't a thing anymore. Wrong or right.

Yes, I’m sorry I brought it up! :) We’ve talked about him many times, I didn’t realise someone would actually post the gif again :D
    He looks fine but as you say, his ability to lead a film is in question. Maybe he can, I’m not totally convinced yet though. As you pointed out above, Craig is a tough, tough act to follow and audiences will be expecting someone special.
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,318

Yes, dear @Benny, more than enough. Especially compared to a lot of preposterous propositions on here. Regarding Turner, this should be right up his strasse, right before he will be announced as the new Bond:

https://deadline.com/2021/10/aidan-turner-tv-the-suspect-itv-world-productions-1234848199/
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,677
    It won’t be Turner. As much as I’d like that.

I’m thinking Richard Madden or George MacKay, but those aren’t my personal choices, just ones with some logical reasoning behind them, one being a young acclaimed actor known by the Bond team, and the other being very recognizable both on british tv and hollywood, despite his height. But he sure can carry a film or a show. And both are terrific thespians.
    Univex wrote: »
    It won’t be Turner. As much as I’d like that.

I’m thinking Richard Madden or George MacKay, but those aren’t my personal choices, just ones with some logical reasoning behind them, one being a young acclaimed actor known by the Bond team, and the other being very recognizable both on british tv and hollywood, despite his height. But he sure can carry a film or a show. And both are terrific thespians.

Makes no sense to claim he won't be Bond, as he actually will be the new Bond, dear Univex. Madden or MacKay certainly won't be it. Quote me on that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes, dear @Benny, more than enough. Especially compared to a lot of preposterous propositions on here. Regarding Turner, this should be right up his strasse, right before he will be announced as the new Bond:

https://deadline.com/2021/10/aidan-turner-tv-the-suspect-itv-world-productions-1234848199/

Some might think that suggesting a TV actor (with a fairly poor record in film) for one of the biggest movie roles there is is a preposterous suggestion. Especially when it's seemingly based on a gif of him smoking! :) But I think that would be a bit strong: he's a decent suggestion but not a perfect one and I'd just need a bit more reassurance.
    Let's chill out a bit with the hyperbole though: there's no need to stamp on other suggestions just because we may prefer another.
    Maybe, but did Leonardo really make an impact?
    Can The Suspect really transport Aidan into Bond casting?
    I honestly think he has potential, and should be considered. But can and will he grasp the attention of EON and MGM / Universal?
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,318

Some might think that suggesting a TV actor (with a fairly poor record in film) for one of the biggest movie roles there is is a preposterous suggestion. Especially when it's seemingly based on a gif of him smoking! :) But I think that would be a bit strong: he's a decent suggestion but not a perfect one and I'd just need a bit more reassurance.
    Let's chill out a bit with the hyperbole though: there's no need to stamp on other suggestions just because we may prefer another.

Coming from you? Ha, that's rich. Turner will be Bond #7. Fine if you don't believe me, we'll see when the time comes.
    I honestly think he has potential, and should be considered. But can and will he grasp the attention of EON and MGM / Universal?

Actually, yes, it did! Audiences loved it, a lot of critics praised it as well. What Turner has in common with many of the other Bonds is that he is still a little under the radar and not a super established name. This is a good thing. He has all the right ingredients. Surely it cannot be difficult to fathom this. Again, we'll see when the time comes.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Coming from you? Ha, that's rich. Turner will be Bond #7. Fine if you don't believe me, we'll see when the time comes.

What do you mean by that? Did you not read the posts where I said Turner could be fine but I just need some reassurance that he can give a movie star performance? Do you really find that to be 'stamping' on the suggestion? You seem to be reacting to things that aren't being said.

Actually, yes, it did! Audiences loved it, a lot of critics praised it as well. What Turner has in common with many of the other Bonds is that he is still a little under the radar and not a super established name. This is a good thing. He has all the right ingredients. Surely it cannot be difficult to fathom this. Again, we'll see when the time comes.

I saw no mention of Leonardo anywhere in the media, apart from links on this thread. I don't think I would have known it existed without this thread. I'm with Benny: I thought it sank without trace.
    He did make a huge impact, in the UK especially, with Poldark though: that's what he's famous for, and he did it well. But I was always a touch nervous that I wasn't quite getting movie star-level vibes. Maybe he'd be great, I don't know: a screentest would certainly be worth doing I'd say.
    But yeah: he's one for the list, let's talk about some others too.
    I'm not sure about the US, but Poldark hasn't got the same exposure here in Australia as it did in the UK. And being a commonwealth country with strong ties back to the mother land, English shows are generally popular and played often. As I say, I'm not sure how Poldark fared elsewhere.
    But as has been mentioned Turner deserves an audition, and would likely score highly. He has many attributes that would tick the right boxes. Yet nothing is certain with this role. Even if we think the candidate couldn't be better.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think Poldark did reasonably well (as much as British show can) in the US; certainly it did well for Cornwall's tourist industry for a while I think and his photo was to be found in the window of many a tea shop in tourist spots. I think it may even have been a co-production with an American channel off the top of my head.
    I'm surprised to hear it wasn't as much of a hit in Aus, I would have thought it would have gone down well, as you say.

Beside, any actor can wear a tuxedo and light a smoke. Surely there's more to Bond than that.
  • TJCathTJCath Netherlands
    What about Oliver Jackson Cohen...
    Or Tom Cullen
    Both not very well known, British, and looking the part..